Home
I've probably got 15 pocket knives in there in my drawer. Some of them cost a few bucks. But the one that stays close didn't cost much at all. It must have fallen out of my pocket while I was working in the yard. They don't weigh anything and they'll take an edge real quick. I've been using it in the kitchen working up my tomatoes. It's perfect for stuff like that. I'm gonna have to chase down another one.

These.

https://www.opinel-usa.com/pocket-knives/classic-pocket-knives/classic-carbon-steel/n6-carbon
I bet you find it.
If it's meant to be, it will turn up.
Good knife for the limp-wristed wine and cheese crowd, not much else. Get a real knife.
Sir, may I suggest that the serrated parer by that well known Swiss or Swedish company, sorry, on #10, is an awesome mater slicer.
Always bad when that happens - You can have a trusty knife for years then suddenly lose it. If you lost it in the yard you'll probably find it again.

I hope you find it soon.
This may/may not be cost effective but

If you have a harbor freight or chinese crap tool supply or even a home depot. You could purchase one of the Roofer's rolling magnets

You'll find that knife, and when done you can walk that magnet up and down the length of your gravel for old nails and tire hazards.

Or you can just use it and take it back and say "this thing is a piece of crap" and get your money back

Idk maybe being a retired guy a owning a yard magnet might be something worth having around doing projects with nails.
Originally Posted by slumlord
This may/may not be cost effective but

If you have a harbor freight or chinese crap tool supply or even a home depot. You could purchase one of the Roofer's rolling magnets

You'll find that knife, and when done you can walk that magnet up and down the length of your gravel for old nails and tire hazards.

Or you can just use it and take it back and say "this thing is a piece of crap" and get your money back

Idk maybe being a retired guy a owning a yard magnet might be something worth having around doing projects with nails.

Never thought of that. I might buy one of those just for the entertainment value.
Originally Posted by SamOlson
I bet you find it.

Yeah. Right after the new replacement one shows up.....
Originally Posted by huntsman22
I bet you find it.

Well then you have a spare!
I could skin a buck or run a trout line with that little knife. You don't need a titanium folder with a tanto blade made from diamonds if you know how to properly cut stuff. Believe me,I'm saying this from a blade smith's perspective. I would much rather make good knives than knives that can't be destroyed.

Love those little knives. Sorry you lost it but at least they are all cheap and just as good.
Originally Posted by LeroyBeans
Good knife for the limp-wristed wine and cheese crowd, not much else. Get a real knife.

Who is *this* guy,....... Crocodile fuggin' Dundee?
I had (operative word) a nice Benchmade folder that I bought in 1998. It went through hell and back, especially working in a box plant cutting corrugation, hitting staples, etc. Set in down on a shelf at Home Depot on a Tuesday night while cutting some plastic straps on some lumber. Less than 5 minutes later at my car I reached for it to cut some string and went looking for it. Less than 20 people in the store at the time and the damn thing grew legs and walked off. Checked Lost and Found that night and again a few days later. Still pissed about that...
+1 on the replacement showing up. Every single time i ve lost my pocket knife,i have torn the place apart looking for it,and without fail it turns up within days of me ordering a new one.
Dammit! Hate losing my pocket knife! It'll turn up, probably in the laundry, OR the last place you look!

Odd when I looked at the link for your knife..., it MOVES...

WEIRD!
Originally Posted by Bristoe

[Linked Image]

The schitbird JeffOvary?
I bet you find it.

Yep. Done it myself.
Somebody beat me to it.... it’s gonna be in the last place you look😊

I figured you for a spoon or ladle type fella’
I bet you find it.

Don - you live my life! smile

I can't keep up with anything lately. I lost my knife out in the yard, but I'm always misplacing stuff. I think it's got a lot to do with moving to a different house after living in the last one for 20 years. I've got to develop a whole new group of places where I typically set stuff.
I’m known for tearing the place apart when I lose a favorite pocket knife. My wife usually ends up finding it.
I lost a J.H. Loyd a couple years ago. It still pisses me off.
My boy scout knife from 40 yrs ago is somewhere in my dad's Hoarders-Buried Alive...basement.

grrrrrrrr!!!!
I bought a Kershaw assist knife from Big 5 on sale like 17 bucks now the rest of my knifes sit in the drawer. Great little knife
Pleased to meet you Mr. Bristoe
You are a man of wealth and taste . . .

<> http://www.brushrabbit.com/application/files/9014/5378/0935/OPINEL_N06_02_HD.jpg <>
Thought I had lost a Buck Skinner and Gerber folder on an elk trip. Figured they had dropped off the belt at "take a dump log," and I could round them up next season. Got replacements for both before making it home, so life was good. Nine months later we were shaking out my buddies 6-man dome tent on a fishing trip and both knives rolled out. That being, I've not lost a knife since 1974.

I have walked back to a streamside or lakeshore bank a couple times with a Coleman lantern at about 01:00 AM and picked up a unit I sat aside while cleaning fish.

Well, I don't have one. But I know better than to disparage a good ol' Opinel. Fine blades, they are.
I lost an I*XL (Sheffield) pocket knife about 40-odd years ago. Four carbon-steel blades and sterling silver scales. I still regret it.
There's at least one knife that i grieve the loss of almost as much as a good dog...

How does a guy get so attached to a piece of pocket litter?
Originally Posted by FreeMe

Well, I don't have one. But I know better than to disparage a good ol' Opinel. Fine blades, they are.

Yep.....not my style but you can't go wrong with good ol 1095 carbon steel.

There's actually a bit of a cult following for Opinels.....there must be a reason.

Hope you find your knife.
Those Opinels are great knives, for what they cost. The blade shape and length, plus the very decent carbon steel and convexed edge profile make it a really good slicer. Far more useful for food prep than most other pocket knives, and very light in weight. Some great features, for under $15.

The reason I don't carry one, is because I don't trust the locking mechanism to keep the blade tucked inside the handle while it's in my pocket. It seems to me that these knives were meant to be carried in a picnic basket.

The sodbuster-style knives are more appealing to me. Similar to the Opinels in some ways, but safer to carry. Some of the best are made in America, ... such as the original Case "Sodbuster", and Great Eastern Cutlery's (Farm & Field #71) "Bull Nose". They cost quite a bit more than an Opinel, but aren't so easily lost, if you order one in bright orange.

[Linked Image]
Bristoe, I have that same knife. I have no idea where I got it, must have found it because I sure didn't buy it. Never used it, it just sits in a cabinet drawer in the house, and every few years I'll run across it while looking for something else.

I'll lose a knife every few years, but have had better luck not doing so since I started packing the ones with a clip. I'd almost sooner rather lose my wallet than my pocketknife.
Buck used to make a model 313 2 blade folder. I won mine shooting skeet at my club 40 plus years ago. Fit my hand perfectly but it slid out of my pants pocket way to easy. Lost it at work (with my name engraved in the handle) so I picked up another. Fast forward and it turns up missing and my guess is the recliner ate it. I shook and probed my chair, nothing so I bought a third one on eBay along with a sheath. Tipped over the recliner couple weeks ago and there it was. Now I have a spare.
Originally Posted by Mike_S
Buck used to make a model 313 2 blade folder. I won mine shooting skeet at my club 40 plus years ago. Fit my hand perfectly but it slid out of my pants pocket way to easy. Lost it at work (with my name engraved in the handle) so I picked up another. Fast forward and it turns up missing and my guess is the recliner ate it. I shook and probed my chair, nothing so I bought a third one on eBay along with a sheath. Tipped over the recliner couple weeks ago and there it was. Now I have a spare.
That was a brave thing to do. Who knows what comes out of one of those.
I knew it had to be in there. Now it’s on my belt.
Hard to beat a sod buster.
Look in the seats of your tractor and lawn mower. All the bouncing around while riding on these machines can work a knife out of your pocket, especially if you keep a lot of other junk in them. I "lost" a knife that way, looked everywhere for it and next time I went to use the tractor, it was laying in the seat.

He fits right in with that crowd...
About a year ago, I lost my wallet once for about three days, 84 hours if I remember correctly. THAT was a fuggin' adventure, getting new credit cards and all. When I found the damn thing it was in a place only I could have left it. i finally figured out what I was doing and how I managed to leave it there. I am a lot better now about leaving it only in ONE SPECIFIC PLACE or in the last pants I was wearing.

After that, I managed to lose my wristwatch. I remember when I used it last (timing some cooking), and when I discovered it missing a few days later, but nothing in between. I still haven't found it. There is a reasonable chance it got pinched out of my truck, so I'm just hoping I'm wrong about that and it turns up under something. Nothing like spending time looking for something that could have been pinched and you will never find.
Lost my edc a couple weeks agojust a little one blade with a clip. Always carried in my back pocket clipped over the top. Been carrying a nice Case in pocket sinc but sure do miss it. Carried a cheap $5 gunshow knife for years. Maybe find one at tomorrow's show.
If you don't care what a knife looks like, orange is the best color for finding a lost one.
I bet you find it when you mow. .
fixt.
Originally Posted by FieldGrade

Yep.....not my style but you can't go wrong with good ol 1095 carbon steel.

There's actually a bit of a cult following for Opinels.....there must be a reason.

Like I said, they take a nice edge without a lot of work and the twist lock holds the blade so that it feels like a fixed blade knife. The best part is,...they're very light. You don't even notice it in your pocket.

They don't look like they'd hold up but they do.
Could never come to appreciate the opinel myself. I can appreciate losing a favorite pocket knife though. Many decades ago I lost a Case pocket knife my paternal grandfather gave me. Just a small two blade trapper style. Loved that knife.
If you google Opinel and read the history, there is no question they have stood the test of time. An iconic design for certain.
I found one of mine in the garden once. I don't remember if it was out there 1 or 2 years.
Originally Posted by JamesJr
Bristoe, I have that same knife. I have no idea where I got it, must have found it because I sure didn't buy it. Never used it, it just sits in a cabinet drawer in the house, and every few years I'll run across it while looking for something else.

I'll lose a knife every few years, but have had better luck not doing so since I started packing the ones with a clip. I'd almost sooner rather lose my wallet than my pocketknife.

Put a good edge on it and start carrying it. You'll be surprised at how much you learn to appreciate it.
I bet you find it.

From my experience they generally turn up after you replace them.
Ex father in law lost his favorite mini trapper. I found it a year later in the sofa. Then 15 years later I found it again out dove hunting. Lucky damn knife.
Any pocket knife I carry usually has a Leatherman tool attached.
I bet you find it.

Well then you have a spare!

IME the best way to find a lost knife is to buy an exact replacement
I've probably got 15 pocket knives in there in my drawer. Some of them cost a few bucks. But the one that stays close didn't cost much at all. It must have fallen out of my pocket while I was working in the yard. They don't weigh anything and they'll take an edge real quick. I've been using it in the kitchen working up my tomatoes. It's perfect for stuff like that. I'm gonna have to chase down another one.

These.

https://www.opinel-usa.com/pocket-knives/classic-pocket-knives/classic-carbon-steel/n6-carbon

I have that exact knife and this thread just reminded me that I havne't seen it in awhile. Sharp sumbish it is!
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

A Leatherman is a good tool. But it's too cumbersome to use as a pocket knife. I'd have to carry it with a belt pouch.

I really don't like the feel of a lot of stuff in my pockets. I've got a couple of pocket knives that I especially like for their quality. But they feel like lumps in my pocket. A #6 Opinel doesn't feel like anything's in your pocket. I think that's one thing that's made them so popular for so long. That, and the fact that they function so well. There's really not much to one. But they function great and they hold together much better than you would expect.
I used mine to slice deer meat last fall. Wonder what the hell I did with it?
I've lost 2 knives in my life and both were when I was a kid 35 plus years ago. But the fear is always there that I might lose another.

Funny thing is with a knife that a guy packs everywhere, everyday, you get attached and used to how it works and sharpens, it even if it is just a run-of-the-mill knife available anywhere.

It's not the money at all, but its like rearranging your living room and trying to get used to something new.

Hope it turns up for you.
When I find an EDC knife I like I buy 3 or 4 of them. One in the pack, one in the truck, one in a drawer and one in my pocket. Nice to always have a backup. My current favorite is the Kershaw Volt II, for about $20 on sale.
I bet you find it.

He'll have to buy another replacement first. THEN he'll find the one that was lost.

A Leatherman is a good tool. But it's too cumbersome to use as a pocket knife. I'd have to carry it with a belt pouch.

I've been carrying the same Leatherman at work since 2003. Use it everyday for something.

I really don't like the feel of a lot of stuff in my pockets. I've got a couple of pocket knives that I especially like for their quality. But they feel like lumps in my pocket. A #6 Opinel doesn't feel like anything's in your pocket. I think that's one thing that's made them so popular for so long. That, and the fact that they function so well. There's really not much to one. But they function great and they hold together much better than you would expect.

Bristoe, have you tried the Leatherman Wingman. I have one of those and really like it. Clips right on the pocket and is handy.
I stopped carrying a big folder because the weight of the thing had it in the couch cushions too often. Then I got looking at that little unused watch pocket in all my jeans and got a 5.25" open drop point A.G. Russell knife that fits in there perfectly and had the wife sew a Velcro closure into all my jean watch pockets. I never drop the knife now. My Chris Reeve hunting folder goes in another Velcro closure pocket in my day pack.
Originally Posted by Rooster7

These.

I have that exact knife and this thread just reminded me that I havne't seen it in awhile. Sharp sumbish it is!

Mine resides on my desk. Its a perfectly capable one, but like the shape of my edc a bit better.
had a 800 dollar custom knife disappear, stainless Damascus think one of my sons friends stole it..

[Linked Image]
I got a lightweight Gerber folder with the Danner boots I bought back in the 90s. Has Danner acid-etched on the blade. I've lost it several times, but always managed to find it again. Dropped it in the gravel parking lot of my local WMA once and drove back and found it right where I stood when I pulled out my keys (and the knife). Now I carry other cheap Gerbers and this one stays on my bedside table.

The little Gerbers are cheap, light, and easy to sharpen. All I have now are US made again too. Tried the Opinels, but they make me a little nervous too. Besides, who wants French anything these days?
I carry one of these thin Case knives all the time. I often also have a Leatherman on my belt but this one is always in my pocket. It holds and edge fairly well and, being flat, I never even notice it in my pocket. I wish they made it in orange, though. I've come close to losing it a number of times.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by TimberRunner
Originally Posted by Rooster7

These.

Mine resides on my desk. Its a perfectly capable one, but like the shape of my edc a bit better.

My edc is a Gerber clip on that I really like but that opinel was a buzzed up eBay purchase and I was pleasantly surprised by the blade. The shape not so much.
When I lose them, they're down in the guts of a recliner...
Opinels are the tits! I have one w/ a mini bic wrapped w/ duct tape and a button compass in most of my jacket and pack pockets. I would guess there are at least 4 somewhere in my truck. I love cheap stuff that works.

mike r
I like Case knives also. Give the Canoe model with yellow handles a look.

[Linked Image]
my little case i always have on me, lost it a couple times but found it.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I bet you find it.

That’s my sure fire method for finding stuff when I get tired of looking.
Originally Posted by navlav8r
Somebody beat me to it.... it’s gonna be in the last place you look😊

That’s only because you quit looking when you find it. To avoid that issue next time, keep looking after you find it.
At my age I don't lose anything anymore - I don't even remember ever having anything anymore.
I stopped carrying old fashioned pocket knives about 20 years ago. Much prefer a one hand opener with pocket clip, a hand filling handle and 3.25 - 3.75 inch blade nowdays.
How come I knew it was an Opinel before I even went to the site?
They are simple, cheap, easy to sharpen with plain carbon steel blade.
One beside my wallet on the counter right now, but the next size up.
My favorite was a Shrade Walden Trapper that had gone many a mile with me.
Landlady's scum sucking son stole it and a brand new Buck folder, though I could not prove it.
Don't miss the buck at all, but I do the Sharade Walden
Even bought a Shrade Trapper later, BUT is was not the same quality of knife.

Just found one of those limp-wristed, wine, and cheese types in this video. Check out 00:30 where he's gutting the rabbit with an opinel.

https://vimeo.com/139553665

Originally Posted by deflave
If it's meant to be, it will turn up.

That’s pretty philosophizy for you. That ranks up there with “Everything happens for a reason.” 😀
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
If you don't care what a knife looks like, orange is the best color for finding a lost one.

+1
Orange Morakniv here....

Hate to lose anything.

My favorite Leathermans are their little PST editions, not bad in a pocket but inexplicably out of production for some time now.

https://www.leatherman.com/pst-77.html

I've prob'ly lost a half dozen over the last twenty years or so, I always keep an eye open for 'em at pawn shops or gun shows.
That's exactly what I don't like about 'orange' handle knives - If I had one I'd want to lose it!
Originally Posted by berryns

Just found one of those limp-wristed, wine, and cheese types in this video. Check out 00:30 where he's gutting the rabbit with an opinel.

https://vimeo.com/139553665

Rabbit? Heck, anyone who knows a little of what they are doing could butcher a deer with that little knife.
Back when I looked for arrowheads, I found two pocket knives that had been lost in the field no telling when. When I found them they were just gobs of rust. One was open and the other closed. I'm sure whoever lost them in the corn or hay was sure no human would ever again lay eyes on them.
As most of us with grey hair know, the fastest way to find it is to buy a replacement. I have lost a couple of pocket knives I was fond of and one of them was the old Buck folder I carried from 1969 to 1974 during my military time and about a year after discharge. When ice fishing a remote lake in Alaska there was the usual lull in the fishing so I was letting my knife drop straight down into a log we were cutting up for our fire. On the last drop the knife hit the edge of the log, slid across about 6' of wind blown ice and dropped into my ice fishing hole!

The water was about 15' deep and the weeds on the bottom were to high to allow actually seeing the bottom. Still miss that knife.
Gotta have a good, sharp knife to finish up this years tomatoes, so I got an Old Hickory boning knife out of the drawer and been working it with an Arkansas stone. It's got a 6" blade which is a big large for what I'm doing with it. But I've wanted to put a good edge on it for a while. I bought it several years ago before a trip to the ocean because its blade shape looked like it would be good for cleaning the fish I was expecting to catch. I put a bit of an edge on it back then, but I never got around to stoning a proper bevel on the blade. It's just a good old piece of high carbon,...probably 1095.

I like 1095 for knife blades. There's nothing exotic about it. As far as knife steel goes it's pretty old school. But I like the way you can light up an edge on it.

This one:

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Walker
Those Opinels are great knives, for what they cost. The blade shape and length, plus the very decent carbon steel and convexed edge profile make it a really good slicer. Far more useful for food prep than most other pocket knives, and very light in weight. Some great features, for under $15.

The reason I don't carry one, is because I don't trust the locking mechanism to keep the blade tucked inside the handle while it's in my pocket. It seems to me that these knives were meant to be carried in a picnic basket.

The sodbuster-style knives are more appealing to me. Similar to the Opinels in some ways, but safer to carry. Some of the best are made in America, ... such as the original Case "Sodbuster", and Great Eastern Cutlery's (Farm & Field #71) "Bull Nose". They cost quite a bit more than an Opinel, but aren't so easily lost, if you order one in bright orange.

[Linked Image]

does that lock open?
© 24hourcampfire