Home
Posted By: BobMt waxahachie texas - 08/11/18

stepson moved to Waxahachie tx.....is there any hunting around there? when we go visit would like to do some hunting...….getting good mex food would also be a plus......bob
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: waxahachie texas - 08/11/18
There's hunting all around there.

Bring your checkbook.
Posted By: Hawk_Driver Re: waxahachie texas - 08/11/18
The hunting is as good as your wallet is fat.
Posted By: BobMt Re: waxahachie texas - 08/11/18
Originally Posted by Hawk_Driver

not interested in deer or turkeys.....just.waterfowl.....javelina sp?…...gray fox., bobcats....bob
Posted By: curdog4570 Re: waxahachie texas - 08/11/18
Your Stepson should be able to line something up for you, depending on the time of year. You’d have to travel some distance South and West to find javalina in huntable numbers.
Originally Posted by curdog4570
Your Stepson should be able to line something up for you, depending on the time of year. You’d have to travel some distance South and West to find javalina in huntable numbers.

he doesn't hunt......just shoots....anybody have any knowledge of ducks or geese hunting? predator hunting....gray fox mainly….bob
Posted By: fburgtx Re: waxahachie texas - 08/11/18
Hogs and dove will be your best bet. Should still be public waterfowl/dove on Bardwell Lake/Aquilla Lake/Navarro Mills Lake/Whitney Lake (all Corps of Engineers). Otherwise, decent deer/etc will be a couple hours E/SE or W/SW. Waxahachie is almost the Metroplex, now. Have him take you to the square and see the beautiful old courthouse and the Confederate monument (before the do-gooders "re-locate" it..
Originally Posted by fburgtx
Hogs and dove will be your best bet. Should still be public waterfowl/dove on Bardwell Lake/Aquilla Lake/Navarro Mills Lake/Whitney Lake (all Corps of Engineers). Otherwise, decent deer/etc will be a couple hours E/SE or W/SW. Waxahachie is almost the Metroplex, now. Have him take you to the square and see the beautiful old courthouse and the Confederate monument (before the do-gooders "re-locate" it..

thanks......I don't mind paying a guide....would be a lot easier than trying to learn areas in a week.....don't mind driving 100 miles or so....would like to get in on the snow goose hunting....bob
Posted By: gonehuntin Re: waxahachie texas - 08/11/18
Stepson will live there but won't hunt in the area without a checkbook like posted above. He'll be doing good if he can score a pasture for dove hunting that's not overrun with other folks.
Posted By: rainshot Re: waxahachie texas - 08/11/18
The DeSoto Gun Club is near Waxahachie. They have trap and skeet. Hog hunting is good south of there and if you can find the right wheat field that's being molested by snow geese the farmer will likely pay you to kill them but don't count on getting within range of them. There's a guy in Bardwell that takes people up in a Helicopter to hunt hogs during the winter but the fee is pretty stiff. Around $1600 and hour I think. It's a nice place with a lot of good eating establishments but it has been taken over with people fleeing the metroplex.
Posted By: wytex Re: waxahachie texas - 08/11/18
Bob check out the Texas Hunting Forum. Lots of advice and listings for outfitters and guides in Texas.
You should get in on some hog hunting if possible, you will enjoy it more than you think.
Some great long range shooters and shooting in Texas, look up Red River West. It's a drive from Waxahachie but not too far. Your son may enjoy the facilities and events they hold.
The coast has some excellent duck, goose and sandhill crane hunting. Local lakes will have good duck hunting also. Dove are also a big thing to hunt in Texas. Should be some day leases close by for those.
You'll have to pay until your son , or yourself ,get to know some locals.
Originally Posted by gonehuntin
Stepson will live there but won't hunt in the area without a checkbook like posted above. He'll be doing good if he can score a pasture for dove hunting that's not overrun with other folks.

this isn't about him....its for me...….bob
Posted By: rickt300 Re: waxahachie texas - 08/11/18
Actually predator hunting and duck hunting are pretty easy to get on public land around there, in fact duck hunters are not numerous enough. Plenty of small game opportunities also. Google Texas public hunting and do a bit of research.
Originally Posted by wytex
Bob check out the Texas Hunting Forum. Lots of advice and listings for outfitters and guides in Texas.
You should get in on some hog hunting if possible, you will enjoy it more than you think.
Some great long range shooters and shooting in Texas, look up Red River West. It's a drive from Waxahachie but not too far. Your son may enjoy the facilities and events they hold.
The coast has some excellent duck, goose and sandhill crane hunting. Local lakes will have good duck hunting also. Dove are also a big thing to hunt in Texas. Should be some day leases close by for those.
You'll have to pay until your son , or yourself ,get to know some locals.

rainshot and wytex thanks...….thanks for the info......dove would be great....this would be a once a year thing.....will look at the texas forum....bob
Originally Posted by rickt300
Actually predator hunting and duck hunting are pretty easy to get on public land around there, in fact duck hunters are not numerous enough. Plenty of small game opportunities also. Google Texas public hunting and do a bit of research.

will do...I figured this was a good place to start....bob
Posted By: wytex Re: waxahachie texas - 08/12/18
Bob, even though you're looking for hunting for yourself, if and when your stepson gets to know some locals it will help you with access. Stop in at some local feed stores, cafes etc and just casually talk about hunting. Sometimes that will open some doors for you.
I've found access through a trespass fee that turned into free access once they got to know us, only paid once.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: waxahachie texas - 08/12/18
Originally Posted by BobMt

stepson moved to Waxahachie tx.....is there any hunting around there? when we go visit would like to do some hunting...….getting good mex food would also be a plus......bob
got to come to south texas for good mescan food.
Posted By: cumminscowboy Re: waxahachie texas - 08/12/18
Swfa is close by, was there on Friday. Hunting sucks. Gotta pay
Posted By: BobMt Re: waxahachie texas - 08/12/18
Originally Posted by stxhunter

any javalina around there?.....how far away from Waxahachie ?.....bob
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
Swfa is close by, was there on Friday. Hunting sucks. Gotta pay

swfa ?....bob
Posted By: rainshot Re: waxahachie texas - 08/12/18
Yes SWFA is on SH287 between Waxahachie and Midlothian. Great place to go spend money. Javelina are in south Texas. Around there you'll find lots of Hogs mostly south of there. Waxahachie has grown so much there isn't much difference in there and Dallas. If you'll let me know when you're going to be down there I'll try to find you a place to shoot a duck.
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: waxahachie texas - 08/12/18
Waxahachie used to be a great place if you were into cotton pickin’!

Hell had a cousin that was a JP there for years.

But he lived just up the road in Red Oak.
Posted By: cumminscowboy Re: waxahachie texas - 08/12/18
Just so no one looks at you stupid it’s walksahachie. Ignore the pronouncing of the spelling. People will look at you totally dumb if you get it Wrong and they are locals

yes and i can get you on some no cost.

about 6 hrs
Posted By: KMS Re: waxahachie texas - 08/12/18

not interested in deer or turkeys.....just.waterfowl.....javelina sp?…...gray fox., bobcats....bob

Never have understood the allure of Javelinas. To me, they're nothing more than nuisance animals. They stink and carry lice, ticks and fleas.

yes and i can get you on some no cost.

rainshot and stx…..thanks.....I am going to research seasons. 6 hrs is not bad...….don't know if this year....but definitely next.....depends on the timing....goes without saying I would reciprocate with something here in montana……..bob
Originally Posted by KMS

Never have understood the allure of Javelinas. To me, they're nothing more than nuisance animals. They stink and carry lice, ticks and fleas.

they are pretty cool.....born and raised in az, never shot one......been close....spot and stalk, bob
Posted By: ltppowell Re: waxahachie texas - 08/12/18
Great waterfowling around there, but it's gonna be live-and-learn DIY. Every lake is public hunting.
one mike (birdwatcher} killed with his flint lock a few years ago.

Originally Posted by ltppowell
Great waterfowling around there, but it's gonna be live-and-learn DIY. Every lake is public hunting.

since I will only be there for a short time.....I don't mind paying a guide. I would rather pay, than trying to figure it out in the short time I have.....a good guide should have some good areas, and they should have the decoys etc..

thanks.....bob
Posted By: KMS Re: waxahachie texas - 08/12/18
I was hunting a ranch in Zapata years ago. The owner's son sat in the blind with me. Stupid Javelina came in and he wanted me to kill it. I gave him my rifle and told him, "have at it."

He drilled it right in the ear. When we drove to it and saw all the fleas on it, he wouldn't touch it either. Scooped it up with a shovel.

At another ranch, the owner would just shoot em to eradicate em.

cool video.....from reading birds posts, I would have thought he would have been shooting off of his bike...ha...jk….bob
Posted By: ltppowell Re: waxahachie texas - 08/12/18
The good news about that area is that is centrally located in Texas. The bad news is that it's a days drive to anywhere in Texas you wanna be. You'll figure it out and there are plenty people willing to help.
Posted By: hanco Re: waxahachie texas - 08/12/18
Good looking girls in and around that town
Posted By: stxhunter Re: waxahachie texas - 08/13/18

cool video.....from reading birds posts, I would have thought he would have been shooting off of his bike...ha...jk….bob

hell he killed a dove on the wing using bird shot with the same gun.

he's an easy going guy, but has more t shirts than most will ever have.
Posted By: ltppowell Re: waxahachie texas - 08/13/18
Originally Posted by ltppowell

since I will only be there for a short time.....I don't mind paying a guide. I would rather pay, than trying to figure it out in the short time I have.....a good guide should have some good areas, and they should have the decoys etc..

thanks.....bob

Look toward the panhandle for guided waterfowling operations. Otherwise, people in Texas just don't duck hunt that much.
Posted By: BobMt Re: waxahachie texas - 08/13/18

thanks everybody......bob
we have great duck hunting here in corpus and one of my best buddy's is the premier guide down here, he takes my friends when their down or lets us use his blinds and boat if he don't have clients which is rare, but he will accommodate me. you know old saying you scratch my back....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
© 24hourcampfire