Home
Posted By: stxhunter chili pequin - 08/12/18
finally got some of them to grow . started some more today.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Tyrone Re: chili pequin - 08/12/18
Love those things! Perfect when you're strolling by and want a quick little hot shot.
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: chili pequin - 08/12/18
Yard’s full of em again this year.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: chili pequin - 08/12/18
Nice!

Once they get started, they should be pretty hardy.

I had one for years that I dug out of a pasture. I kept it in a large pot, and moved it indoors during cold weather.

Then I was out of town when a cold spell came through, and it died.

I have a big one on my tank dam I need to dig up and put in a pot now...

Only takes about 3-4 of those to season a pot of beans pretty spicy! wink
Posted By: stxhunter Re: chili pequin - 08/12/18
nursery's didn't have them, found some on amazon but they want 50 for two 6 inch plants screw that. if i get these others to grow im going to see if the nursery's want to buy some. they only have about a 15% germination rate. luckily when we had a bush here in the yard a few yrs ago i save a bunch for seeds, damn yard guy pulled that one out.
Originally Posted by kaywoodie

dang send me some peppers, probably be months before i get any from these, i'll give something for the trouble.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: chili pequin - 08/12/18
There's a few plants in Cali now shocked

Thanks Bob wink

Geno

PS, I've never had a pepper take so long to germinate. My plants didn't get going until the end of June and I planted them in early May.. I transplanted the majority (5-6) of the starts outside but they're taking off slow too. Funny thing, the one single plant in a 4" pot on the window sill just had 2-3 seeds sprout in that container late last week. If I can keep those alive, maybe I get a jump on next years crop?

Hard to make them out but there's two plants in the holes in the cardboard, just to show you how small they are still. Picture was taken on the 10th, 2 days ago.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: slumlord Re: chili pequin - 08/12/18
What's the Scoville on those?
Rog,

Peppers will be ready a bit later. wink

Geno!

Man they look great!

Edit!

What y’all need is a buttload of mockingbirds. Nuthin’ spreads the seed better!!!
it took mine over a month also, still got a couple small sprouts, did start 6 seed starter trays today each tray has 10 individual little pots. lost a few when i put them outside and it got hot enough to dry them up.
Originally Posted by slumlord

‎30,000–60,000 SHU
40-58,000

http://pepperheadsforlife.com/pequin-pepper-scoville-units-shu-3/

30-60,000

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pequin_pepper

40-60,000

https://www.pepperscale.com/pequin-pepper/

Last reference says slightly hotter than a cayenne.

They are certainly tasty when you crush a couple into your bowl of posole! That's the important part.

Geno
Posted By: SandBilly Re: chili pequin - 08/12/18
I have a couple I grew in pots. You can just turn em upside down and shake them. The peppers fall off that are ready.
No mockingbirds in this part of Cali, Bob,

Plenty of scrub and pinyon jays tho................but my dog keeps them mostly chased out of the fenced yard grin

If can get them to grow I may spread some outside the fence and see if I can get a "wild" population started...................I doubt the seeds are going to like the -20F winter temps though.

Geno
Geno,

They germinate better after they pass thru a digestive system.

(Hint).
Ha ha,

I don't chew my food so well, so I've been told.....................

but I ain't goin' that route ...............

nope, nope, nope,

you can't make me either!

Geno

PS of course, as you can see by the background in my garden pic, I live in a very rural place. I may just have to use the outdoor facilities (juniper tree) after some homemade Mexican food this winter! eek And leave Ma Nature to her business of sprouting things.
Geno,

That will work!

Keep us posted!

Photos, ahhh,,,,, not really necessary.......

😉

Bob
Posted By: curdog4570 Re: chili pequin - 08/12/18
I need to come dig up a couple to transplant. They did out from the cold here but new ones come up from the seeds. I only like two kinds of canned peppers.... these and cayenne’s. Miles keeps me in cayenne’s and you can fill the other gap.
Originally Posted by curdog4570
I need to come dig up a couple to transplant. They did out from the cold here but new ones come up from the seeds. I only like two kinds of canned peppers.... these and cayenne’s. Miles keeps me in cayenne’s and you can fill the other gap.

Gene,

My place is easy to find!
Posted By: curdog4570 Re: chili pequin - 08/12/18
They used to call them Turkey Peppers in the Hill Country. Claimed wild turkeys ate them and it flavored their meat. I wouldn’t know as I don’t shoot the nasty things.

I dug some up years ago at Lueckenbach and set em out up here. They made it two years and then died. None ever came up from the seeds but a Mexican Lady over at Olney has some next to her house and they make peppers every year.

A friend brought me some canned ones from a store in San Antonio once but then could never find them again.
Posted By: Bighorn Re: chili pequin - 08/12/18
Some years ago, I shot two wild turkeys in S. Texas, that had been feeding on the peppers. Put them on the smoker, and they were delicious, but HOT!
they're pretty pricey, back about 79 when i was in high school a buddy had chit tons of them growing around their home. when the peppers were getting ripe they go out and pick them, they had a buyer that gave them 25 dollars a qt for them. they made pretty good money off them.
Yes, I also heard the old timers refer to them as turkey peppers.

But turkey is one of the trinity of critters I will not hunt, or shoot.
Posted By: slumlord Re: chili pequin - 08/12/18
Originally Posted by stxhunter
Originally Posted by slumlord

‎30,000–60,000 SHU

Shewweee

I better leave them alone lol

Serrano is my cutoff @20k

In my defense, i do have an 8cm duodenal ulcer- a man's go to know his limitations laugh

Maybe a couple pinches in a crock pot would be do-able, I would like to grow some and try em. Could always give em away. That's what I do with 75% of my gardening anyways.

Posted By: 284LUVR Re: chili pequin - 08/12/18
Geno,

They germinate better after they pass thru a digestive system.

laugh crazy ha ha There's another less painful way.

https://www.google.com/search?q=aci...823j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1...0...1..64.psy-ab..0.0.0....0.QdtPTGVmnJI

thanks, I'll look into that.

I'll likely not keep any concentrated H2SO4 around the house tho, I'll go mechanical I think.

Geno
Originally Posted by Valsdad

thanks, I'll look into that.

I'll likely not keep any concentrated H2SO4 around the house tho, I'll go mechanical I think.

Geno

i have a couple bottle left from working with oilstates.
another thing don't cover the seeds just sprinkle them on the surface.
Posted By: kingston Re: chili pequin - 08/12/18
Will these grow up north?
Posted By: Tyrone Re: chili pequin - 08/12/18
Originally Posted by kingston

Yes, but the winter kills them.
Posted By: mtnman1 Re: chili pequin - 08/12/18
We have 2 big bushes that come back every year. We pick em and oven dry em and then grind them into chili powder. It is some of the best chili powder you will ever eat. I eat it daily. We planted 6 more plants this spring in pots to try to expand production. 😊
Originally Posted by kingston

in pots so you can bring them in.
the 60 i started today... hope to get half of that. 4-6 seeds in each of 60 cells.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: boilerpig1 Re: chili pequin - 08/12/18
nursery's didn't have them, found some on amazon but they want 50 for two 6 inch plants screw that. if i get these others to grow im going to see if the nursery's want to buy some. they only have about a 15% germination rate. luckily when we had a bush here in the yard a few yrs ago i save a bunch for seeds, damn yard guy pulled that one out.

Soak your seeds in 1 Tbl spoon of Potassium nitrate (salt peter or stump remover by other names) in a quart of water for 30 minutes. Your germination rate will increase bunches.

BP...
Posted By: stxhunter Re: chili pequin - 08/13/18
Originally Posted by boilerpig1

Soak your seeds in 1 Tbl spoon of Potassium nitrate (salt peter or stump remover by other names) in a quart of water for 30 minutes. Your germination rate will increase bunches.

BP...

thanks
Posted By: GaryLL1959 Re: chili pequin - 08/17/18
How would I go about getting some seeds? Sounds like these would be about right in a pot of beans..
Posted By: SandBilly Re: chili pequin - 08/17/18
Originally Posted by GaryLL1959
How would I go about getting some seeds? Sounds like these would be about right in a pot of beans..

Anywhere online. There seems to be some confusion between Pequins and Tepins. This thread, I think is talking about turkey peppers. (Tepins or Turkey peppers to me)..
Posted By: stxhunter Re: chili pequin - 08/17/18
you can get them from amazon.
Posted By: SandBilly Re: chili pequin - 08/17/18
Turkey peppers(Tepins) are small and round to me. Pequins are long and have a curve like a banana.
Posted By: jeffbird Re: chili pequin - 08/18/18
STX,

they grow easily and well in beds of oak leaves.

If you happen to have an oak tree, let the leaves make a bed under the tree, or make one in a shady spot.

Place the peppers in contact with the soil and cover with a couple of inches of leaves.

They should take off from there.

Water the bed a few times. After that, the leaves make a good mulch and should keep it damp enough.

I like to poke holes in chicken and turkey breasts and push them in.

Also, lightly crush them and put in a jar with olive oil.

The pepper oil is good with all kinds of things.

The deer mowed mine down, so restarting them again or I would send you a bunch.
Posted By: 257_X_50 Re: chili pequin - 08/18/18
Heck. I thought the title was about chili made from penguin in French.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: chili pequin - 08/18/18
lol mescan dude
Posted By: Prwlr Re: chili pequin - 08/18/18
Originally Posted by SandBilly
Turkey peppers(Tepins) are small and round to me. Pequins are long and have a curve like a banana.

When I was growing up we had a chili pequin plant (as identified by my mother) that grew right in the fence between our and neighbors backyard. My mother would would pick 2-3 greens ones which were shaped like tiny eggs for huevos rancheros in the morning. Those suckers were HOT but great flavor. I never heard of the longer tapered ones until much later.
Posted By: SandBilly Re: chili pequin - 08/18/18
To me Tepins (turkey peppers)
[Linked Image]

Pequins

[Linked Image]
Posted By: JefeMojado Re: chili pequin - 08/18/18
Any chiltepin plants Ive ever seen had the typical small almost round pod, not quite as big as a pea. There's lots of various kinds of peppers though, with just as many regional names? Wife finally got some seed to start, and has two fair sized plants out back, lots of tiny white blooms now, with fruit just starting to set, be interesting to see how they make it?
Posted By: 257_X_50 Re: chili pequin - 08/18/18
Thanks for the pictures.
I used to grow them.
I ran an orchard and put in a LOT of tomatoes and all kinds of chilies
Told the pickers they could take what they wanted and just leave a few for me.
They took great care of the garden and had all the vegetables they needed.
It worked well.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: chili pequin - 08/18/18
chiltepin:

[Linked Image]

chile pequin:

[Linked Image]

At least that's how I grew up knowing them, round vs oblong. Both relatively hot and tasty

Geno
Posted By: Valsdad Re: chili pequin - 08/18/18
To me Tepins (turkey peppers)
[Linked Image]

Pequins

[Linked Image]

Billy, the ones you know as pequins are what I grew up knowing as Chile de Arbol. Usually found ripe, red, and dried .
Posted By: jeffbird Re: chili pequin - 08/18/18
Geno,

There is a lot of mixed usage of terms with different terms often used for the same plant.

fwiw - here is a link to the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Research Center, which focuses on research on native plants in Texas.

Capsicum Annum, aka "chile pequin" is the small round pepper you call "chilitepin," and is also called "turkey pepper," which is yet another name for the same plant.

They all are the same species of plant, just different common names for Capsicum Annum.

Within that species, there are different varieties, but the small round pea-like one is called "chile pequin" and/or "chile petin" here, but they are the small round ones.

https://www.wildflower.org/plants/result.php?id_plant=caan4

[Linked Image]

Same plant, but called "chilitepin."

https://statesymbolsusa.org/symbol-official-item/texas/state-food-agriculture-symbol/chiltepin

[img]https://statesymbolsusa.org/sites/s...ltepinPeppersCowboyWok.jpg?itok=gYKf_nQL[/img]

Both terms used for the same plant, the official pepper of Texas.

http://www.centraltexasgardener.org/resource/chile-pequin/

http://www.chile-tepin.com/home

Posted By: Valsdad Re: chili pequin - 08/19/18
jeffbird,

Texas is weird, just look at the way Bob (kaywoodie) dresses. grin

The way I learned them is they right way. Always! wink

If one wishes too, one could call jalapenos, serranos, and many others by different names because they are all the same Genus and species.

I'll stick with the way I know them, the little round ones are chiltepin and the small, but not as small pointier ones are chile pequin. Taught to me by Mexican folks from Mexico...............................not Texicans from Tejas laugh

You folks down there in Texas probably call bluegill "bream" or "brim" or who knows what. crazy

Geno

PS, whatever you do, don't take me so seriously......................but I've mostly been found to right cool
Posted By: stxhunter Re: chili pequin - 09/05/18
these are coming along good

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Prwlr Re: chili pequin - 09/05/18
chile pequin:

[Linked Image]
Geno

This is what I grew up calling chili pequin also.
Posted By: specialK Re: chili pequin - 09/05/18
My chiltepin is doing very well this year i have had the same one alive under my back porch for 18yrs now. I harvest it and dry it and grind it in a spice grinder to make shake.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: chili pequin - 09/15/18
these are doing good, got some smaller ones coming along.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: AcesNeights Re: chili pequin - 09/15/18
Yes, I also heard the old timers refer to them as turkey peppers.

But turkey is one of the trinity of critters I will not hunt, or shoot.

Why don’t you shoot Turkey’s? What are the other 2 critters you won’t shoot? Just curious...that’s all.
Posted By: AcesNeights Re: chili pequin - 09/15/18
chiltepin:

[Linked Image]

chile pequin:

[Linked Image]

At least that's how I grew up knowing them, round vs oblong. Both relatively hot and tasty

Geno

That’s a well camouflaged caterpillar on that plant.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: chili pequin - 09/21/18
plants getting some blossoms.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: stxhunter Re: chili pequin - 10/10/18
getting peppers

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Owl Re: chili pequin - 10/10/18

Bob, if you could be so kind.... I'll take a couple of quarts of them... Dried please.

Owl smile
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: chili pequin - 10/10/18
I bet you would! Hell I ain’t pickin’ em!

😁
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: chili pequin - 10/10/18
Out around fence in garden.

[Linked Image]

Yeah I know I need to build new steps. Got a nice ramp on other side. Basil helps me keep em watered!

[Linked Image]

Damn milkweed vine come up in em. Got chilis just like this all over the bottom too!

Ace & 8. They don’t call turkeys fowl (foul) just because. Other two critters I don’t shoot are ducks (see fowl/foul) and javelinas. Be like shootin’ my own dog.

😁
Posted By: stxhunter Re: chili pequin - 10/10/18
might make a run up there bob when i get time.
Posted By: SandBilly Re: chili pequin - 10/10/18
Originally Posted by Owl

Bob, if you could be so kind.... I'll take a couple of quarts of them... Dried please.

Owl smile

Here too. Thanks KW..
Posted By: SandBilly Re: chili pequin - 10/10/18
You don’t have to pick them, just send the whole bush...
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: chili pequin - 10/11/18
might make a run up there bob when i get time.

Cmon up Roger! Bring Birdy!
Posted By: stxhunter Re: chili pequin - 10/11/18
as soon as i get a break working on a big commercial job right now.
Originally Posted by Owl

Owl smile

Here too. Thanks KW..

I love you guys!! (That’s pronounced "Gee" in frog).
as soon as i get a break working on a big commercial job right now.

Ok! I’ll be in Colorado till about 1 Nov. 😉
Posted By: mark shubert Re: chili pequin - 10/11/18
When you goin' Bob?
Stopping by?
Mark,

Leavin’Next Wednesday .
© 24hourcampfire