Home
Posted By: wabigoon 634 Mile Drive. - 08/23/18
We are in Wabigoon after a 634 mile trek. Not a bad drive by any means, I'm just not as young as I used to be. laugh
Posted By: 5sdad Re: 634 Mile Drive. - 08/23/18
Richard! Do you just make this round trip then turn right around and make it again? laugh
Posted By: wabigoon Re: 634 Mile Drive. - 08/23/18
Nope John, in Iowa for 9 days and could not help myself!!1
Posted By: 5sdad Re: 634 Mile Drive. - 08/24/18
Totally understandable. Enjoy, and have some Tim Bits for me.
Posted By: WeimsnKs Re: 634 Mile Drive. - 08/24/18
I did two last week also...... left after a 10 hr day at work. Went to a funeral the next day, left at 630 pm and did it again. The price you pay for moving away from family.

8hr 15 min. 1 stop for gas and that is it. 80-85 mph allows you to make some time.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: 634 Mile Drive. - 08/24/18
I made a Canadian loop today.

About 400 miles.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: 634 Mile Drive. - 08/24/18
made a 700 mile drive once with a broken dislocated collar bone it was fun. lol
Originally Posted by stxhunter
made a 700 mile drive once with a broken dislocated collar bone it was fun. lol

Gads!
Posted By: EdM Re: 634 Mile Drive. - 08/24/18
A month or so ago we did nine hours each way to fish BC. It was a beautiful drive and well worth the "effort".

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: 634 Mile Drive. - 08/24/18
Nice! Only a few feet to long to eat!

wink
Posted By: gophergunner Re: 634 Mile Drive. - 08/24/18
I just don't "travel" good these days. I get an hour to an hour and a half before I need a restroom stop.
Posted By: WyColoCowboy Re: 634 Mile Drive. - 08/24/18
I just took the son to college, 960 miles each way. I'm a little road weary.
Originally Posted by WyColoCowboy

Sheesh! Wasn't there a closer college????
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: 634 Mile Drive. - 08/24/18
Jim, when you apply to 53 and only one accepts... (apologies to Wyo)

About 600 miles is my limit for driving these days. And I take two days to do that. I don't speed, and six to seven hours behind the wheel is modanuff for me. Then I find a good three-star hotel, get a decent dinner, eight hours of rest, and breakfast.
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Originally Posted by WyColoCowboy

Sheesh! Wasn't there a closer college????

Not that gave him the kind of money they did in scholarships. It's 1/2 the cost of sending him to a State school.
Posted By: atvalaska Re: 634 Mile Drive. - 08/24/18
I'll be doing 600 miles in my river boat in about 3 weeks....boat butt time....72 to 83 hours on the meter when I get her back on the trailer!
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Jim, when you apply to 53 and only one accepts... (apologies to Wyo)

About 600 miles is my limit for driving these days. And I take two days to do that. I don't speed, and six to seven hours behind the wheel is modanuff for me. Then I find a good three-star hotel, get a decent dinner, eight hours of rest, and breakfast.

Nah - He applied to 9 and got accepted to 7. He could have easily gotten into any state school, including CU. The only schools that turned him down were Colorado College and Carlton. After that it came down to a good fit and money. His college gave him about 80% of the cost.
Posted By: las Re: 634 Mile Drive. - 08/24/18
Pikers. I just got back from a month-long, round trip, Kenai Penninsula, Alaska to Twin Lakes, Colorado. Something over 5K. Haven't computed milage/fuel yet.

3 1/2 days down, 4 1/2 back Wife insists on late starts and a couple hikes per day... then drives the PU Camper 80 to make up for it.... smile

My bony (or is that bonney?) butt hurts! smile
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: 634 Mile Drive. - 08/24/18
In a few weeks we'll be taking a 600 miler for our daughter's wedding, then back again in 3 days. We'll be towing a camp trailer, too. We might change our plans, though, and camp 1/2 way each direction.
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: 634 Mile Drive. - 08/24/18
I was only chaining your rattle, Wyo. Sounds like he made a good choice.

And now back to the mileage melange.
Posted By: lvmiker Re: 634 Mile Drive. - 08/24/18
We do a lot of road trips but now only drive 4-6 hrs. /day. We rarely travel on Interstates and enjoy finding new places to explore. Tomorrow we head to Ely, Nv. for a week to scout for Muledeer and sheep. At the end of the month we're off to Jackson, Gardiner, Ennis, and Salmon for as long as we want. I waited way to long to retire.

mike r
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
I was only chaining your rattle, Wyo. Sounds like he made a good choice.

And now back to the mileage melange.

X2!
Posted By: Owl Re: 634 Mile Drive. - 08/24/18
Originally Posted by EdM
A month or so ago we did nine hours each way to fish BC. It was a beautiful drive and well worth the "effort".

[Linked Image]

Taste's like chicken
Posted By: deflave Re: 634 Mile Drive. - 08/24/18
634? That ain't schit! Montana's call that a grocery run.

That being said my rule is 10 hours these days. I can keep going, but don't. Fugk that schit.
Posted By: CharlieFoxtrot Re: 634 Mile Drive. - 08/24/18
My record is Daytona to San Diego in two days. Stopped for gas and to piss. Had to make a very important business appointment. Caught a bit of shut-eye in Texas someplace. Saw Jaurez literally on fire. Only hold ups were ICE checkpoints. Damn glad to see them. Some sketchy characters on that interstate betwixt Texas and Commifornia. I-10 pretty much the whole way.
Posted By: 79S Re: 634 Mile Drive. - 08/24/18
Chit 600 nothing drove 700 miles one way to go caribou hunting on the dalton hwy. done that drive couple times... pull into coldfoot pay 6 bucks plus a gallon for fuel.. haven't done it in a few yrs ...
Posted By: kid0917 Re: 634 Mile Drive. - 08/24/18
Originally Posted by gophergunner
I just don't "travel" good these days. I get an hour to an hour and a half before I need a restroom stop.

me too, but mostly for my back. 100 miles and then a 10 minute walkaround break works.
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: 634 Mile Drive. - 08/24/18
A friend is driving his son back to school in Bozeman right now. 2,568 miles each way...
Posted By: lvmiker Re: 634 Mile Drive. - 08/24/18
Originally Posted by kid0917
Originally Posted by gophergunner

me too, but mostly for my back. 100 miles and then a 10 minute walkaround break works.

True this! We mainly travel back roads and are constantly amazed at some of the things/ critters we spot on these frequent breaks. I keep a pair of 10x50 binos handy and seem to spot more cool stuff by accident than when I am hunting. I can't get enough of western America.

mike r
Posted By: tikkanut Re: 634 Mile Drive. - 08/24/18

I drove 634 miles one day..........
Originally Posted by deflave

That being said my rule is 10 hours these days. I can keep going, but don't. Fugk that schit.

yea............didn't Shrap say you moved to FL ?

WTF ?

ready for Hurricane Flave next month ?

Man.........

seriously........MT to FL ?

you bump your head ?
Posted By: 79S Re: 634 Mile Drive. - 08/25/18
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
A friend is driving his son back to school in Bozeman right now. 2,568 miles each way...

I drove from Colorado Springs to Wasilla in 2016 talk about a lonely drive by yourself lol..
Posted By: JMR40 Re: 634 Mile Drive. - 08/25/18
A BIL and I drove 1700 miles in about 30 hours several years ago. From NW Georgia to NW Colorado for a hunt. We took turns driving and sleeping. We were in western Kansas just before sunup when both of us hit the wall and neither felt safe to drive. We pulled into a rest area for about 45 minutes of sleep. Two years ago I drove 950 miles from Hays KS all the way home in 19 hours. I drove every mile of that.
Posted By: deflave Re: 634 Mile Drive. - 08/25/18
Originally Posted by tikkanut

yea............didn't Shrap say you moved to FL ?

WTF ?

ready for Hurricane Flave next month ?

2,708 miles in a 26' U-Haul and car carrier.

Misery defined. LMAO.
Posted By: deflave Re: 634 Mile Drive. - 08/25/18

Man.........

you bump your head ?

Why is that everybody that hasn't lived in Havre asks me why I left Havre?
Posted By: BobMt Re: 634 Mile Drive. - 08/25/18

Man.........

you bump your head ?

Why is that everybody that hasn't lived in Havre asks me why I left Havre?

I always thought...man havre would be good, close to bird hunting and coyote hunting.....then a friend of mine got married a couple of years ago there......I went, 1st time there.....

all of a sudden emigrant in paradise valley looked pretty good....I will drive where I need to go....bob
Posted By: SamOlson Re: 634 Mile Drive. - 08/25/18
Lemme guess, Cali transplant?

grin

I RARELY go anywhere outside of the 'farm' but a couple weeks ago it was too hot for the airplane to fly so I drove down to Billings and picked my wife up at the airport. About 310 miles one way.

I hadn't been to Billings since we moved up here to Wolf Point(and you think Havre is 'bad'?.....). Anyway I hadn't been in 'traffic' in over 8 years and couldn't wait to get the hell outta there!

Interstate driving was nice though, kinda relaxing. 620 miles was a piece of cake, way more fun than a 12-15 hour day in the tractor. Of course driving is easy this time of year, winter time is an entire different ball game.....
Posted By: BobMt Re: 634 Mile Drive. - 08/25/18
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Lemme guess, Cali transplant?

grin

I RARELY go anywhere outside of the 'farm' but a couple weeks ago it was too hot for the airplane to fly so I drove down to Billings and picked my wife up at the airport. About 310 miles one way.

I hadn't been to Billings since we moved up here to Wolf Point(and you think Havre is 'bad'?.....). Anyway I hadn't been in 'traffic' in over 8 years and couldn't wait to get the hell outta there!

Interstate driving was nice though, kinda relaxing. 620 miles was a piece of cake, way more fun than a 12-15 hour day in the tractor. Of course driving is easy this time of year, winter time is an entire different ball game.....

sam ….no cali here......az to wy to nv to here....just about 29 years......yea wolfpoint, go bird hunting on that side, will be headed outside of Jordan on the 1st....I love all of that country, winnet I really like.

seriously thinking of going to Lewistown, love it there.....I like driving all that country, can do a lot of thinking …...bob
Posted By: SamOlson Re: 634 Mile Drive. - 08/26/18
Bob, if the farm wasn't here I'd move it to the Lewistown area. Great location, probably my favorite town in the entire state.
Posted By: BobMt Re: 634 Mile Drive. - 08/26/18

Sam I agree, Lewistown has everything a person needs, we are looking at property and it is expensive......I live in a great area but it is all straight up and down.

have a good one.....bob
Bob, I need open space to 'breathe'....
Posted By: deflave Re: 634 Mile Drive. - 08/26/18
Originally Posted by BobMt

I always thought...man havre would be good, close to bird hunting and coyote hunting.....then a friend of mine got married a couple of years ago there......I went, 1st time there.....

all of a sudden emigrant in paradise valley looked pretty good....I will drive where I need to go....bob

I love the Hi-Line. I just find humor in people that have never lived there telling me I should live there.

Another knee slapper is down here in Florida. Non-Floridians ask "Why would you move to Florida??"

To which I reply "Why did YOU move to Florida?"

Blank stares....

Sam I agree, Lewistown has everything a person needs, we are looking at property and it is expensive......I live in a great area but it is all straight up and down.

have a good one.....bob

I like Great Falls more than any of them.

I'll probably retire in Ft. Benton.
I'm gonna build a retirement/hideout 'home' out in the middle of a remote CRP field.

That or buy a place in Jordan.
I love Jordan.

Kremlin too.

belt isn't a bad little town.....we will start getting out of here in the winters for 3 or 4 months....thinking lake havasu….I cant see me ever leaving montana….,but, I am just about 59, when I was younger I didn't hesitate to move if need be.

hope everything goes your way there, sometimes you just do what needs to be done...…..but, sam and I have much better taste than you....great falls over Lewistown? put the spray can down, its affecting your judgement.....bob
I'm gonna build a retirement/hideout 'home' out in the middle of a remote CRP field.

I have some good friends.....they were born and raised here.....tried a few years ago to buy a church in Jordan, they were going to turn it into their base camp for hunting and fishing, they just missed it.....bob
Posted By: Okanagan Re: 634 Mile Drive. - 08/26/18
Interesting.

Am doing a 365 mile each way round trip tomorrow to a family reunion gathering. Might stay over but will likely come back tomorrow night. Used to push through Los Angeles to Port Angeles non-stop in college. No more of those kind of killer drives. But I still enjoy long drives away from cities. I avoid night driving as much as I can.

Last spring we had an airline trip fizzle and my wife said, “Let's go look at more of those big red rocks in Utah.” So the next day we took off for Bryce Canyon, running two lanes state and county roads nearly all the way down from Canada and back. I do enjoy that.

Wife likes to sleep late. I get up early and prowl around to see if there is a bakery open... In one little Wyoming town the only place open was a dry good store with a coffee pot on and half a dozen good ol boys shooting the breeze. They welcomed me, and the proprietor fixed breakfast for all of us.
Posted By: mark shubert Re: 634 Mile Drive. - 08/26/18
Originally Posted by 79S
I drove from Colorado Springs to Wasilla in 2016 talk about a lonely drive by yourself lol..

"The Warden" said you should have had a book on tape -

like "War and Peace" smile
Posted By: Kenlguy Re: 634 Mile Drive. - 08/26/18
My wife left central WA last Monday for the San Diego area. made it in two days. Thursday headed north for the Canadian border. Made it in two days. This morning she came back home to central WA.

She said her truck was really tired.
Posted By: OMCHamlin Re: 634 Mile Drive. - 08/26/18
634 you say? That’s nice. I start out in less then nine hours for 1180 miles. And I HATE driving...

I have some good friends.....they were born and raised here.....tried a few years ago to buy a church in Jordan, they were going to turn it into their base camp for hunting and fishing, they just missed it.....bob

You gotta be a special lot to live and adapt in a place like Jordan. I believe even a lot of native Montanan's would struggle. Not Sam obviously. LMAO. But most others.
Posted By: 79S Re: 634 Mile Drive. - 08/28/18

have a good one.....bob

I like Great Falls more than any of them.

I'll probably retire in Ft. Benton.

And this is phase 3 of our plan and open up that titty bar we been talking about?
Posted By: Tarkio Re: 634 Mile Drive. - 08/28/18

You gotta be a special lot to live and adapt in a place like Jordan. I believe even a lot of native Montanan's would struggle. Not Sam obviously. LMAO. But most others.

Lived there a while. Loved it.

Would move back in a heartbeat if I could get it to jive with my work.

Glad to see someone is finally recognizing that I’m special.
Posted By: Tarkio Re: 634 Mile Drive. - 08/28/18
Left Sunday midday for just shy of 1000 mike road trip to work in Oregon yesterday. Have about 400 miles of the return trip left.

Will do just shy of 2,000 miles and a full day’s work in about 2 1/2 days.
Posted By: Tarkio Re: 634 Mile Drive. - 08/31/18
2200 miles in ~58 hours with a full days work in there as well.
© 24hourcampfire