Home
Posted By: hanco New truck, Ford,Dodge,or Chevy - 08/30/18
I need a new 4x4 diesel 3/4 ton truck. Which brand is best? I have a 2004 Dodge diesel I’m keeping to drive to work, it’s the best truck I’ve ever owned. I’m leaning toward another Dodge, but my son in law says buy a Ford. I used to be a Chevy man, but I don’t know if their Diesel trucks are any good or not. Anyone have an opinion?

Thanks
Never owned a diesel, but I have 4 Fords sitting in my drive now so that's the direction I'd go.
I've always been a Ford truck man, but if I were in the market to buy a "fancy" new one, I would lean toward the new Dodge trucks. I like their looks and interior design.
Hanco, just asking but why the need for 2 diesels and 2. 3/4 ton trucks?

Again, just asking.
Why don't you just go ahead and ask what brand of chainsaw is best while you are at it?
Originally Posted by K1500
Why don't you just go ahead and ask what brand of chainsaw is best while you are at it?

Cause they don’t make’em in diesel, maybe?
Originally Posted by Old_Toot
Hanco, just asking but why the need for 2 diesels and 2. 3/4 ton trucks?

Again, just asking.

Same reason a man might need 2 .45’s , or 2 30-06’s. 😎
Originally Posted by Old_Toot

Cause they don’t make’em in diesel, maybe?

Because everyone already knows to buy Stihl

That ought to ignite pretty quick.

I just bought the step father's "old" 2015 6.7 Platinum Friday because he ordered a 19 King Ranch 6.7. I ordered my 96 4 dr short box in March of 96 and received it the first or second of June. When it came time to decide which to get rid of the 007 FJ got traded in and Old Blue is out there in the driveway. It is the best piece of equipment I've ever had.

I'm not brand biased but I like Ford Trucks for work. There is a 800 HP 99 Formula Firebird Built 6.0/Turbo/4L80/9" Ford Rear), 450 HP 2008 Trailblazer SS, and a stock 2008 Saab 9-7X Aero (A rare made TBSS Clone) in the garage. I also raced 440 based Mopars for a couple of decades in case the Pentastar guys think I left them out.

The truck at work is a 14 Dodge half ton and is a good truck however one of the other guys has a Cummins 2014 and it's great but has a ton of recalls and while they are minor and never amount to much except the pain is the rear of taking it to the dealer for half a day.
Does Dodge still produce a manual tranny? I'm Ford 350 crew cab diesel at the moment and hoping for at least another 10 years or 150K on this one. When replacement times comes, if there's a manual transmission still out there that's the way I'll go.
If your're looking for a work truck type deal, meaning just a truck, call to Midland/Odessa to get the pricing.
Cheapest diesels in the state. They sell hundreds and hundreds to the oil field. So pricing is better.

Son just bought a 2018 last month. Got a good price.
Crew cab, auto, 8 foot bed, electric windows, plane Jane interior AC, just a radio, that's about it.
Oh 48 gal tanks now.

Let your fingers do the walking and shopping.
Everyone has different uses and needs when buying a truck, a man that lives where it is flat as it is in west Texas has little need for a diesel truck , nothing like a man living in the mountains of Wyoming would, Dodge trucks are cheapest to buy but the resale value is also lower, Ford trucks are for people who's father in law owns a tire store because you will be buying a bunch of them, so just figure out what your own personal needs are and buy accordingly.
I was never a dodge man til 2014. My next truck will be a Ram coming up here soon I think.
I like having a spare vehicle, selling my 89 jeep. It will be the first time in 45 years I won’t own a jeep. I’m tired of no AC, rough ride, noise, and I’m tired of it. I bought it new in 89. I don’t really need two diesel trucks but the 2004 is still a great truck and it will save miles on the new one. This will probably be my last truck if I don’t wreck it or it’s stolen. I’ve never owned a Ford.
Originally Posted by hanco
I like having a spare vehicle, selling my 89 jeep. It will be the first time in 45 years I won’t own a jeep. I’m tired of no AC, rough ride, noise, and I’m tired of it. I bought it new in 89. I don’t really need two diesel trucks but the 2004 is still a great truck and it will save miles on the new one. This will probably be my last truck if I don’t wreck it or it’s stolen. I’ve never owned a Ford.

Haven't been in the 2019's but Chevy/GMC has always provided a noticeably more comfortable ride than either Ford or Dodge in the 3/4 and 1 ton trucks. IMO anyways.

Honestly think you'd have a hard time going wrong with any of them. I'd lean GM, then Ford, then Dodge were it me. Mostly because I was raised in a Detroit Diesel home and have an attachment to GM.
Just bear in mind that a Ford or Chevy will trade or resell much better than a Dodge. Around here, about the only way to get rid of a Dodge is to trade them in on another one.

Just saying.
Originally Posted by MadMooner

Haven't been in the 2019's but Chevy/GMC has always provided a noticeably more comfortable ride than either Ford or Dodge in the 3/4 and 1 ton trucks. IMO anyways.

Honestly think you'd have a hard time going wrong with any of them. I'd lean GM, then Ford, then Dodge were it me. Mostly because I was raised in a Detroit Diesel home and have an attachment to GM.

^^^ This, when I bought my 2006 Silverado 2500 HD the ride and cabin comfort were noticeably better than the Ford offering.
Originally Posted by JamesJr
Just bear in mind that a Ford or Chevy will trade or resell much better than a Dodge. Around here, about the only way to get rid of a Dodge is to trade them in on another one.

Just saying.

Even the diesels? Out here all diesels are holding value at ridiculous rates. A couple Fords and the old GMs excluded.
Be sure you really need a diesel. Around here, long time diesel P/U users are swapping to gas burners.

The new diesels (all three) have so many sensors and such that they can become a maintenance nightmare. One cattleman buddy had his new Dodge diesel leave him in the field, sensors blinking. He swapped it for a gasser Ford, 4 door with an aluminum bed for Gooseneck trailers. He says he gets around 13 mpg empty, 8-10 pulling. I've seen others make that same decision for the same reason.

DF
I've had 5 F-350 diesels.. Love 'em.. But I would not be afraid of a Dodge.. Cummins makes dang fine engines.. Chev? Not even with YOUR money..

YMMV.

Lol...but diesel drivers tend to be little less bitchy.
I have a gooseneck trailer and a tractor I pull around for mowing jobs sometimes. That’s the main reason I want a diesel.

Just saying.

Even the diesels? Out here all diesels are holding value at ridiculous rates. A couple Fords and the old GMs excluded.

Older diesels are in demand because they don't have the pollution "improvements' of the new ones.

Kinda like big rig truckers wanting '06 vintage Petes and KW's. Pre-emissions trucks in good shape demand a premium.

DF
Did Ford get their engine issues straightened out?
Right. Thats why I was asking. Old 12 valve Cummins go for ridiculous money out here if clean and in good shape. Esp;ecially considering the Dodge truck wrapped around it! Lol.
Just like anything else....it just depends what you want out of it. The Duramax/Allison combo has proven itself to be really dependable, and Chevy's always have the most bling, but they'll nuisance you to death with little things. The Ford will always be the one that works with the most parts missing and Dodges are cheap.
Don't quote me here, but I believe Nissan and Toyota are the only pick-ups that are completely made in the USA.

There's irony in there.
A year and a half ago, I traded my '05 Ram 2500 cummins on a new Ram 2500 with the 6.7 cummins.

The only problem I ever had with the '05 was a window motor control switch and then the water pump at 114k miles.

The new one pulls our 5th wheel like it's not even back there. I love the exhaust braking and most of the features on the truck. I spent a lot of time in a Ford and a Chevy (trucks at work) before we went back with the Ram. To me, the Ram was more comfortable and I like the cummins.

With that said, I've now had 4 recalls on my truck in recent months and I'm getting sick and tired of having to take it into the shop. First was some programming deal to keep the truck from potentially rolling away while parked on a slope. Second was the water pump. Third was the tailgate lock. Now, its a solenoid in the transmission that can cause your vehicle to only have 1st gear. Still waiting on the part to come in to fix that one.

While none of the items above have actually happened to my truck, the fact that I seemingly (lately) have to keep taking it in for them to fix another recall is getting pretty damn old. But, I still think I'd choose the Ram. And, I believe their moving production for the 2500/3500's back to the US.
Whichever has the best diesel specific servicing dealer in your area.
Honda Ridgeline

It can do it all.
The newer diesel fords with the aluminum body seem to working out well in the bush. The loggers like them. The dodge has a great motor but the tinny body rust like hell. The chev is a good truck and the one I would buy in a diesel. I am a chevy guy so pretty biased towards the others
I have both an 06 and a 08 Duramax 2500HD. The 06 has around 250K on it and the 08 has 340K, both have EFI LIVE tuners and all of the emissions I could legally remove, you know the drill. They have been the most bullet proof trucks I have ever owned. The Allison transmission is second to none in my opinion. If I was looking today, I would go with another Chevy/GM in a heart beat.
Originally Posted by Crappie_Killer
I have both an 06 and a 08 Duramax 2500HD. The 06 has around 250K on it and the 08 has 340K, both have EFI LIVE tuners and all of the emissions I could legally remove, you know the drill. They have been the most bullet proof trucks I have ever owned. The Allison transmission is second to none in my opinion. If I was looking today, I would go with another Chevy/GM in a heart beat.

I appreciate those comments, am a Chevy/GM guy, too. And, IMO, the Allison is the best tranny of the three.

BUT those aren't 2018's... blush

DF
Thanks for all the input, I had the front end rebuilt on my Dodge at 150,000, the water pump at 100,000, the window motor control went bad on me too. It’s has never left me on the side of the road. It has 170,000 miles on it. My 13 year old grandson will probably end up with it.
Posted By: RDW Re: New truck, Ford,Dodge,or Chevy - 08/30/18
Thanks for all the input, I had the front end rebuilt on my Dodge at 150,000, the water pump at 100,000, the window motor control went bad on me too. It’s has never left me on the side of the road. It has 170,000 miles on it. My 13 year old grandson will probably end up with it.

It's not hard to keep a diesel on the road, especially a 12V, fuel and a battery, keeping the Cummins wrapper intact is a differect story.

The quality control on my two second gen's was OK but Dodge service sucked ass.
I think the Fords have an electric rear end lock. Does Dodge have that feature?
Right. Thats why I was asking. Old 12 valve Cummins go for ridiculous money out here if clean and in good shape. Esp;ecially considering the Dodge truck wrapped around it! Lol.

well, since i have a 12 valve 98 3/4ton 4x4 dodge with 170k on it, define ridiculous money? Arizona car, no rust too.
What’s my 2004 worth? 170,000 miles also.
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

Just saying.

Older diesels are in demand because they don't have the pollution "improvements' of the new ones.

Kinda like big rig truckers wanting '06 vintage Petes and KW's. Pre-emissions trucks in good shape demand a premium.

DF

^^^^THIS^^^^ my Dodge 1 ton is an '06, I'll keep fixing it, don't want a new one, same with my old 1999 KW W-900 tractor, keep fixing it, too damn many sensitive sensors on all this new crap, my old stuff has quite enough as it is.
Originally Posted by RoninPhx

well, since i have a 12 valve 98 3/4ton 4x4 dodge with 170k on it, define ridiculous money? Arizona car, no rust too.

About 3 times what a gasser would go for. $12-15k would be ball park I'd bet.
I think the Fords have an electric rear end lock. Does Dodge have that feature?

No. Ram 2500's (when equipped) and 3500's (comes standard) use a helical-gear style differential similar to the Eaton Trutrac. The helical gears are used in place of clutch plates like the old limited slip/posi units use. The helical gears don't wear out like the clutch plates do.

NYH1.
What’s my 2004 worth? 170,000 miles also.

I recently sold a 2003 5.9l Cummins w/auto trans 4WD regular cab, two tone paint, 8'box, SLT package w/power seat, air blows cold, tires at 20%, 190000 highway miles
for $4900.00

It had no cab corners left... wheel wells were gone.... rocker panels were gone, all rusted away, gone.

If the body would have been at 90% or better... I would have asked $17000

I wanted to get rid of it before I needed a new fuel pump or injectors. I loved that truck, I mean I LOVED IT... when it left the yard I couldn't watch...

embarrassed to say... I used the money to buy a Rav4.
The way you put the Rav comment has me in stiches
Originally Posted by 7 STW
The way you put the Rav comment has me in stiches

grin

The man's got his pride. The Rav comment sounded like something spoken in a confessional... wink

DF
Oh i could tell. It cut him deep. I'd feel the same
I’m partial to the Duramaxes.

Ford....
I have my Man Card in hand...... prepared to surrender it to the proper authorities...
Get a good deal on a Ford 250 2006-7 6.0 diesel and Put $6000 in it to make it bulletproof
Chevy because I have never purchased a new Chevy! I've bought Ford's and Dodge's new, I'm driving a 2006 Duramax now but it came used with 27,000 miles! I think all three make good trucks! Toyota makes good small pickups!
I have an 2003 and a 2016 duramax. I’ve been very happy with them. The 2016 average mpg for combined city/highway the last 30k Miles is just over 19mpg. I swore off Super Duty trucks after getting screwed by ford and stranded every time the glow plug controller went out. (It was a known problem they chose not to resolve—I went through 6 before trading the F350 in on the 03 duramax). Always been a fan of the Cummins motors....just not the the package they wrapped them in. I concede the dodge has the nicest ride and interiors/pricepoint. It’s just that reliability comes first. If Toyota sold a 3/4 ton diesel truck, that’s what I’d be driving. I know that’s heresey in many circles, but that’s our experience with Toyota vehicles.
i'll never sell my 12 valve, just got to fix the damn power steering leak.
My best diesel pickup was an '03 Ford F250 4X4. it was the last month of production of the 7.3L diesel. It was totaled two years ago with 120K miles on the clock when a front tire blew on the interstate. My wife and a son were in the truck, and by some miracle it didn't roll, so they were OK. It was a brand new Goodyear Wrangler that blew. Anyway, I looked long and hard at a new truck, but I couldn't do it. My other business is running semis, and I have to say that the emissions trucks are total crap. So I looked around for a nice truck that I could delete all the nonsense.

One of my buddies has two '08 Fords with the much maligned 6.4 Navistar turbo diesel. Both of his have over 200K hard miles (farming) on them and no problems at all. He had deleted all the emissions crap, which is the root cause of all the problems this motor has had. So I bought a used 2008 F250 with about 75K miles, then deleted the DPF and DOC. So far, I am loving this truck. I haul a goose neck equipment trailer weighing 14.5K lb. with it, and it handles it easily. At least after I added a three-spring overload to the rear axle. If you are willing to do a little work, the '08 to '10 Fords are a bargain.

With respect to new diesels, I wouldn't own one out of warranty. I have changed out my semi fleet to brand new Kenworth T680s with a full-service warranty for every single mile we roll.

If I were replacing my pickup today and couldn't find a decent pre-emissions diesel, I would be highly tempted to buy a 1992-1997 F350, build a 460 gasser to around 400 HP and call it good. Note that I rarely drive a pickup without pulling a heavy trailer, so fuel economy is going to be crappy either way.
I purchased a new 98 Dodge with the 12 valve Cummins in 1999. The new model were out with the 28 valve power plants. It had an automatic transmission which I had modified for better towing. I was towing a 28 foot fifth wheeler and it worked out well. It now has close to 110,000 miles on it. I have had no serious mechanical problems with it. I keep getting offers to buy it, its still in pretty good shape, only problem is it needs a new paint job. The big selling point is the 12 valve engine and its reputation for reliability and acceptable fuel economy. My oldest grandson want me to will it to him when I pass on. I keep telling him that I plan on being buried in it!

HAPPY TRAILS!

You mean the 6. oh no motors? Yes. The 6.7L is a beast. 410 hP and 900lbs./ft. of torque. Check out The Fast Lane Truck on youtube. Those guys test all the trucks out in real world conditions. Down to earth reviews on everything.
I will check that out, the ford diesel is quiet, you can hardly hear it.
I have a 2016 Chevy 3/4 ton High Country w the Duramax, and a 2017 Ram 3500 Mega cab SRW with the Cummins Asin. The Chevy is a nicer ride no doubt, The Cummins pulls harder and has a stronger engine brake. The Ram averages 18 mpg while the Chevy does 20. Have not owned a Ford for10 years, so I have no input on them.
Originally Posted by smarquez

The 6.7L is a beast. 410 hP and 900lbs./ft. of torque.
Hmmm... I thought it was 440 hp and 880 ft/# torque... Anyhoo - my '17 F-350 6.7 tows my 44' 19K toy hauler with ease.. Only thing I miss about the previous truck ('16 F-350) is the 4:30 gears and wide front axle.. The '17s can only get 4:10 gears and standard axle.. I do miss the 4:30s...

I believe so. 440hp@2500rpmand nearly 1000fp torque. They got the recirculated exhaust correct.
I will check that out, the ford diesel is quiet, you can hardly hear it.

I'm sure happy with mine.

Dodge before it can't even come close.
© 24hourcampfire