Home
Posted By: hatari Jackson Hole - 09/11/18
Headed to Jackson Hole/Yellowstone/Cooke City.

Already got a vote for checking out the Million Dollar Cowboy Bar. You guys have other places to see or eat and drink in?
Posted By: hatari Re: Jackson Hole - 09/11/18
Pugs sends a vote for Snake River Brew pub.

Got a vote for Mammoth Hot Springs and Lamar Valley in the Park.
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Jackson Hole - 09/11/18

Elk should be screaming...........

what the wolves didn't kill............
Posted By: BKinSD Re: Jackson Hole - 09/11/18
I'm a fan of the Mural Room at Jackson lake lodge. I would drive a fair piece for a pie from that gas station in Dubois. And I wouldn't miss a sandwich from the Pickle Barrel in Livingston either.
Posted By: wyowinchester Re: Jackson Hole - 09/11/18
Drive to the top of TETON PASS, enjoy a view.
Get away from the Snowflake Town and visit nature. There's plenty of it.
Originally Posted by tikkanut

If I run a few wolves over with my car, do I get a fine or commendation? wink
Originally Posted by wyowinchester
Drive to the top of TETON PASS, enjoy a view.
Get away from the Snowflake Town and visit nature. There's plenty of it.

Definitely on the list. Other Grand Teton Park don't miss things?
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Jackson Hole - 09/11/18
Originally Posted by hatari
Originally Posted by tikkanut

If I run a few wolves over with my car, do I get a fine or commendation? wink

not from anyone here.......

that's all that matters !
Posted By: Cruiser1 Re: Jackson Hole - 09/11/18
Bin 22 in Jackson Hole; excellent. In fact ,we ate there 2 nights in a row
Stayed at the Rustic Inn; pricey(but, it's Jackson Hole) but nice . Nice breakfast buffet
Beartooth Cafe in in Cooke City; good burgers, sandwiches and beer selection.
Definitely, Jackson Lake Lodge for a cocktail, at least.
Posted By: irfubar Re: Jackson Hole - 09/11/18
Merry piglets is a good mexican food restaurant, it is downtown.
The wildlife art museum north of town is worth a look.
Posted By: ChetAF Re: Jackson Hole - 09/11/18
The restaurant in the 'Wort Hotel' is really good. I always hit that when I am there.

Same with the 'Gun Barrel' restaurant. Get the stuffed trout.

If you find yourself in Livingston, Montana the 'Second Street Bistro' is one of my favorites and one of the best restaurants in the Northern Rockies. It is located in the old Murray Hotel.
Posted By: TnBigBore Re: Jackson Hole - 09/11/18
Miners Saloon and restaurant in Cooke City is excellent.
Drive the Beartooth Highway from one end to the other if you can. The scenery is breathtaking.
Posted By: lvmiker Re: Jackson Hole - 09/11/18
Bubba's BBQ, the best brisket ever and opens early w/ great breakfasts. Gathering for the pork shank. The Blue Lion was exceptional, had Rack of Lamb and the Santa Fe Duck Cakes. We were there in May and are going back Oct.1, it is my wife's favorite place.

mike r
Posted By: slumlord Re: Jackson Hole - 09/11/18
Antler Inn is a dump and costs $300 a night

Just fyi

Was there in july
We usually stay at the Flat Creek Inn, king deluxe room w/ kichenette and a great view of the Elk Refuge across the street and park right in front of your door $90.00/ night off season. We stayed 4 nights at the White Buffalo Club w/ our kids in May, it was very nice but all we did was sleep and bathe there. There is a lot to do in that area!

mike r
Posted By: Mgw619 Re: Jackson Hole - 09/11/18
Million dollar cowgirl bar sucks. And the people that work it are [bleep].

Go to Local for a great meal.
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: Jackson Hole - 09/11/18
Hatari: I love Jackson Hole, Wyoming!
I try to get there at least twice a year.
I recommend heartily these places to eat in Jackson Hole:

Breakfast = Bubba's

Lunch = Bubba's

Dinner = Bubba's!

When you have their breakfast be sure and ask for/about "the workers special" - it's not on the menu but well worth investigating.
I have enjoyed the Million Dollar Bar every time I have been there (15 times?) - but I am not a hard drinker at all - just enjoyed the place!
I also give a great big thumbs up to the Chamber of Commerce building - it is well wroth seeing the displays there, and the interesting items for sale.
I always peruse the many galleries in Jackson Hole - well worth the time here as well.
Enjoy yourselves.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
P.S.: Don't even try anyplace to eat besides Bubba's while in Jackson Hole - been there, done them!
By far the best food and the best value for your dollar in Jackson Hole - remember though I am a country boy (now) and enjoy country food.
Posted By: USMC2602 Re: Jackson Hole - 09/11/18
Snake River Brewing Company, try the OB1!
Posted By: robertham1 Re: Jackson Hole - 09/11/18
Lotta overpriced BS there..... in my opinion this is a must to anyone who is in the area. Natural hot spring dammed by the CCC.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/btnf/recarea/?recid=71639
Posted By: Salmonella Re: Jackson Hole - 09/11/18
Chicken fried steak for breakfast at Bubba's.

Definitely see Lamar Valley and Teton National Park, then head east to Cody.
Go to the Buffalo Bill Historical center, trail town, take a drive up the Northfork and down the Southfork of the Shoshone.
Have some drinks at the Irma, go see the Dug Up Gun Museum, Dewey's Wildlife taxidermy, and go up the Clark's Fork Canyon and take a drive over the Beartooth pass.

[Linked Image]

More to do in Cody.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g60442-Activities-Cody_Wyoming.html

Posted By: slumlord Re: Jackson Hole - 09/11/18
Shoshone river?
Posted By: WVGuy Re: Jackson Hole - 09/11/18
I just finished a Zonker stout from Snake River Brewing. I was there in June. I will be back there in less than a week. The pizza is good at the brewery.
Posted By: Mgw619 Re: Jackson Hole - 09/11/18
Also, drive over to Nora's fish creek in for breakfast over by the base of the pass
Posted By: byron Re: Jackson Hole - 09/11/18
For a really good piece of meat try the Gun Barrel in Jackson Hole. Outside of that, Yeah Bubba's.
Great suggestions. Had people mention today Nora’s and Gun Barrellt

WV- might be at Snake River at the same time...🍺
Posted By: WyColoCowboy Re: Jackson Hole - 09/11/18
Originally Posted by BKinSD
I'm a fan of the Mural Room at Jackson lake lodge. I would drive a fair piece for a pie from that gas station in Dubois. And I wouldn't miss a sandwich from the Pickle Barrel in Livingston either.

I worked in there for two summers during college. Third at Many Glacier Hotel Glacier National Park. Best summers of my life.
Posted By: WyColoCowboy Re: Jackson Hole - 09/11/18

Already got a vote for checking out the Million Dollar Cowboy Bar. You guys have other places to see or eat and drink in?

See if you can stay in The Old House at Old Faithful Inn. It's a step back in time.
Posted By: Snake River Marksman Re: Jackson Hole - 09/11/18
Get in touch when you're in town.
H
Originally Posted by WyColoCowboy

See if you can stay in The Old House at Old Faithful Inn. It's a step back in time.

Everything in the Park is full up. I wanted to stay at OFI just fir the retro
Posted By: WyoCoyoteHunter Re: Jackson Hole - 09/11/18
Cool info..
Posted By: Cheyenne Re: Jackson Hole - 09/11/18
Originally Posted by BKinSD
I'm a fan of the Mural Room at Jackson lake lodge.

Dined there on my anniversary last month. Get a reservation timed to take in the sunset. Very nice!
Posted By: SockPuppet Re: Jackson Hole - 09/11/18
Originally Posted by lvmiker
Bubba's BBQ, the best brisket ever and opens early w/ great breakfasts. Gathering for the pork shank. The Blue Lion was exceptional, had Rack of Lamb and the Santa Fe Duck Cakes. We were there in May and are going back Oct.1, it is my wife's favorite place.

mike r

Man, is Bubba's still open? Loved that place when we ate there about 12 years ago.
Posted By: WeimsnKs Re: Jackson Hole - 09/11/18
The ice ream place on the square is pretty good then after you finish your ice cream, walk over to the knife shop across the street and check them out.
When you are in Jackson check out who has live music. We accidentally ended up in the bar at the Wort Hotel on a Tuesday or Wednesday night, what a party, I saw Sasquatch while staggering back to the hotel. There are some really good bar bands in the area, ask the locals.

Speaking of locals, when I was a kid, 60 years ago the town was Jackson Hole. What do Wyomingites call it now?

mike r
Posted By: lvmiker Re: Jackson Hole - 09/12/18
Warning, keep your wife out of the shops around the Square. My DIL spent $2600.00 on a hat and boots. My son didn't think it was as funny as I did. They live in Georgia and I told him she could wear them to watch hog wrasslin'.

mike r
Posted By: irfubar Re: Jackson Hole - 09/12/18
When you are in Jackson check out who has live music. We accidentally ended up in the bar at the Wort Hotel on a Tuesday or Wednesday night, what a party, I saw Sasquatch while staggering back to the hotel. There are some really good bar bands in the area, ask the locals.

Speaking of locals, when I was a kid, 60 years ago the town was Jackson Hole. What do Wyomingites call it now?

mike r

The locals call it Jackson. If you call it Jackson Hole they know you are an out of towner
Posted By: Salmonella Re: Jackson Hole - 09/12/18

mike r

Wyoming's San Francisco.
Posted By: lvmiker Re: Jackson Hole - 09/12/18
Originally Posted by irfubar

mike r

The locals call it Jackson. If you call it Jackson Hole they know you are an out of towner

Jim Bridger called it Jackson Hole, but then he was from out of town.

mike r
Posted By: 1minute Re: Jackson Hole - 09/12/18
I second the Gun Barrel for a bison steak.
Posted By: jeeper Re: Jackson Hole - 09/12/18
Well you could ck out a town called Encampment close to Colorado border, don't wink or you will miss it but it does have an opera house. Stayed there a time a two on the way to Battle Mountain.
Posted By: RedRabbit Re: Jackson Hole - 09/12/18
Good chance of seeing bison near Mormon Row/Antelope flat, and moose along the Gros Ventre River
Posted By: Brad Re: Jackson Hole - 09/12/18
I lived in Jackson 2015/1016 and have eaten (a lot) at the majority of the restaurants there. Trio, The Local, and Cafe Genevieve are among the best “moderately”priced restaurants. Trio is my favorite all-around restaurant. The Rusty Parrot and Snake River Grill for expensive dining.

If you want a steak, The Local is the place.

I just got back from Jackson about an hour ago... pretty Smokey yesterday, clearing off today. Leaves should be peaking late next week.

Posted By: MontanaMan Re: Jackson Hole - 09/12/18
Most of the good places have been mentioned, but drive up north towards the park & get the view of the Grand Teton peak as you do; also stop at one of the overlooks & check out the Snake River.

Also, pretty much across from the Jackson Airport, take a good look at the Sleeping Indian bluff formation.

If the Gunbarrel Resturant is still open, it was pretty good the several times I was there; I don't care much for the Snake River Brewery............food is fair at best, & it's trendy, if you get my drift.

Cody is well worth the trip, IMO........it's more or less still what Jackson used to be.

MM
Posted By: Idaho1945 Re: Jackson Hole - 09/12/18
Surprised nobody has mentioned going out to see the BarJ Wranglers, they put on a good feed & a great show! We usually make it over there once every year & they come over here every year to the county fair. You will need reservations, but they can feed a lot of people in a hurry! I agree about Cody, it's better!

Dick
Posted By: DMc Re: Jackson Hole - 09/12/18
See the Evergreen Lodge, West Yellowstone MT.

Lived there til I was 6yo. Wan't much there in 1956... Lotsa bears...
Posted By: CharlieFoxtrot Re: Jackson Hole - 09/12/18

mike r

Jackson is the town that sits in the valley named Jackson Hole.

Used to ski out there back in the day. We also took snowmobiles way up to some hot spring pool where you could swim. Forgot the name, but the wife loved it.
Posted By: byron Re: Jackson Hole - 09/12/18
I can't beleive I forgot about the Bar J Wranglers! Some of the funniest stuff I have ever seen, and yes they can feed a BUNCH of people in a hurry!
Posted By: byron Re: Jackson Hole - 09/12/18
Another thing I forgot. If you have time go around to the back of the elk refuge and see if the bighorn sheep are there. They typically are and will come right down to your vehicle.
Posted By: hatari Re: Jackson Hole - 09/12/18
Warning, keep your wife out of the shops around the Square. My DIL spent $2600.00 on a hat and boots. My son didn't think it was as funny as I did.

mike r

Best advise to far. Fortunately, my better half doesn't have a foot fetish.
Posted By: Razz Re: Jackson Hole - 09/12/18
Before moving and when we were up seeing our boys we stayed at the Ranch Inn, nice, friendly, clean and fair price for small suite with kitchenette. Sure beat the frat house they were licing in.

Breakfast: Nora’s, great grab and go breakfast burritos at DOG, coffee and bagels at Pearl Street Bagels, breakfast with the local crowd at The Virginian, The Bunnery for an all day breakfast.

Cafe Genevive anytime! Lots of good places already noted. Pizza (by the slice or whole pie) and a beer at Pinky G’s. Big Hole BBQ is best around, they also have a place over here in Victor. Sunday night “church” at the Stagecoach in Wilson. Great music. Merry Piglets: great food and killer margaritas. Dornans at entrance of GT National Park has good food and amazing view of Tetons and the Snake.

The place over in Dubois for pie is The Cowboy Cafe. We spent a fair bit of time there when our son ran a ranch nearby. Still will make a drive over for coffee and pie, and some backcountry fishing.
Originally Posted by Snake River Marksman
Get in touch when you're in town.

SRM, depending on schedules maybe we can all meet for coffee in town or at Nora’s. If I am not out chasing elk I’m willing to make the ride over the hill from the valley.
I'll shout when we get in.
Originally Posted by Razz
B
The place over in Dubois for pie is The Cowboy Cafe. We spent a fair bit of time there when our son ran a ranch nearby. Still will make a drive over for coffee and pie, and some backcountry fishing.

Gotta ask, are huckleberries in season for pie?
Think they are done by now. Others may know more.
Posted By: hatari Re: Jackson Hole - 09/13/18
We made it to town. Any of you guys that are thirsty enough to come to Jackson this Thurs- Fri or next Thurs -Fri, I’m buying the brew!🍺🍺
PM me and let’s see if we can rendezvous.
Posted By: hatari Re: Jackson Hole - 09/14/18
Dinner at The Local was great!
Million Dollar Cowboy Bar was something to experience once, but virtually all tourists (including us😉)
Did not see elk in the refuge, saw plenty of fat pronghorn .
Got in contact with Snake, trying to get up with he and Razz tomorrow.
Have my eye one The Wort and Merry Poglet.
Heading up into Grand Teton Park tomorrow.
All in all, great day.
Posted By: WYcoyote Re: Jackson Hole - 09/14/18
+4 on driving the Beartooth Hwy/ Pass, and add the Chief Joseph Hwy also if possible.
Cooke City, Red Lodge, and Cody are good stops to connect the area.
Best time of the year to go also.
Posted By: Sycamore Re: Jackson Hole - 09/14/18
Dinner at The Local was great!
Million Dollar Cowboy Bar was something to experience once, but virtually all tourists (including us😉)
Did not see elk in the refuge, saw plenty of fat pronghorn .
Got in contact with Snake, trying to get up with he and Razz tomorrow.
Heading up into Grand Teton Park tomorrow.
All in all, great day.

world museum of wildlife art is worth it, just north of town
Posted By: AB2506 Re: Jackson Hole - 09/14/18
We had a large group. Really enjoyed the Gun Barrel.

If you have the time, my family still talks about getting back to Yellowstone and staying at Cody WY. Good museums, there still might be a rodeo every night, take the trolley tour of the town and learn of the history, eat at the Irma Hotel ( owned by Buffalo Bill). When we were there in 2009, there were two hotels we stayed at. The AmericInn the owner had filled the lobby with his North American and European hunting trophies. Across the parking lot he had purchased another hotel that looked like an old Super 8, but not yet renovated. It was filled with his African trophies. I see that either he really renovated or he built a new one called the Kings Inn. Everyday there was a reenacted gunfight by the Irma Hotel.

Really liked Cody.
Posted By: Brad Re: Jackson Hole - 09/14/18

Forget both and go to Cafe Genevieve.

The Wort is good for breakfast, not for dinner. Merry Piglets is mediocre. Nora's is mediocre.

Genevieve is fantastic, lunch or dinner!

To see bighorn sheep go to E. Broadway going East. It will dead-end into the Nat'l Elk Refuge road (gravel)... drive this road and you'll have a real treat.
Posted By: BangPop Re: Jackson Hole - 09/14/18
Originally Posted by CharlieFoxtrot

mike r

Jackson is the town that sits in the valley named Jackson Hole.

Used to ski out there back in the day. We also took snowmobiles way up to some hot spring pool where you could swim. Forgot the name, but the wife loved it.

Probably Granite Hot Springs.
Posted By: hatari Re: Jackson Hole - 09/14/18
Originally Posted by Brad

Forget both and go to Cafe Genevieve.

Genevieve is fantastic, lunch or dinner!

To see bighorn sheep go to E. Broadway going East. It will dead-end into the Nat'l Elk Refuge road (gravel)... drive this road and you'll have a real treat.

Did just that ride yesterday and came up empty, but will do it again
Posted By: Snake River Marksman Re: Jackson Hole - 09/14/18
Bighorns typically aren't down low until the snow starts to fly in the high country. I can always be wrong; but that's been my experience. Also the elk don't hit the refuge until about Nov. You should find some up around Beaver Creek on up to Jenny Lake just as the sun is going down.
Posted By: Cruiser1 Re: Jackson Hole - 09/14/18
Highly recommend Bin 22; buy your bottle of wine in the store in front. Take to the restaurant in back; Excellent. Small plates that are not so small; get the grilled octopus and if they have it, chocolate salami for desert. Menu changes with the season.

http://bin22jacksonhole.com/index.php
Posted By: Brad Re: Jackson Hole - 09/14/18
Originally Posted by Cruiser1
Highly recommend Bin 22; buy your bottle of wine in the store in front. Take to the restaurant in back; Excellent. Small plates that are not so small; get the grilled octopus and if they have it, chocolate salami for desert. Menu changes with the season.

http://bin22jacksonhole.com/index.php

Bin22 is good... ditto The Kitchen.
Posted By: BOWSINGER Re: Jackson Hole - 09/14/18

mike r

It started out as Jackson's Hole. It was Davey Jackson's "hole" or trapping grounds.
Posted By: hatari Re: Jackson Hole - 09/17/18
Met up Friday with SRM and bride and had a great time together. Our thanks to Larry and Lynn for showing us around.

Everybody needs to check SRM post on bear attack of guide and client on Friday. We watched the rescue chopper at work, wondering what the story was. Bad ending😕
Posted By: Shag Re: Jackson Hole - 09/17/18
Rocky Mountain Oysters at the Million Dollar Cowboy bar is an absolute must do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. Can't remember the name of the place but they make great margaritas! Just stumble around you'll find it! Enjoy!
Posted By: Burleyboy Re: Jackson Hole - 09/17/18
If you make it over the pass to the Idaho side the Knotty Pine in Victor has good food. I live about 50 miles or so from there. You can also head down South to Alpine and then head towards Idaho Falls and then lope up to Victor and back over the pass for an afternoon drive of something different if you have time. A float in a drift boat down the South fork below palisades dam through the canyon has some great scenery.

Bb
Posted By: Burleyboy Re: Jackson Hole - 09/17/18
The Bar J wranglers is worth seeing if you haven't been there before and the food is pretty good. I haven't been on the fire much lately but wish I could make it over to meet some fire members. My wife is working 12's on Thursday and Friday so I'm playing Mr Mom to my 6, 4, and 3 year old. When ever the kids go with me to Jackson I get out voted and we end up getting happy meals at McDonald's. My trips to Jackson are different than they used to be. Now it's to hit the city pool, McDonald's, and then be back home in Idaho for an 8:30 bed time.

Bb
Posted By: WVGuy Re: Jackson Hole - 09/19/18
I heard elk bugling and fighting in Grand Teton last evening. It was a neat experience. They were not that far away in the timber.
© 24hourcampfire