Home
Bought a husky 455 rancher. It just chews right through dry pine. Only used it for maybe 30 minutes; but I'm already liking it a lot
Yes my 460 works well also. I cut a lot of Lodge pole here.
I've been looking at both of those models. I have some big saws but I want something smaller for firewood chores.
I love chain saws. I have an expensive Husqvarna and it is a great saw. Paid $625 for it 3 years ago.
We bought a 455 12 years ago when we put in a woodstove. Cut up 4 or 5 cords per winter. Great saw for our needs.

[Linked Image]
Love my Husky with the 28" bar. No more bending over, at least for the cutting part! thankfully the lawyers haven't messed up chainsaws like they did gas cans. Well, they tried once with that safety tip thingy, but that didn't last thank God.
Sorry, I’d take a stihl over a husky every day of the week. H
Originally Posted by Toddly

My Husky has run circles around all the Stihls I've owned in the last 30 years. It's been a great saw.
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Love my Husky with the 28" bar. No more bending over, at least for the cutting part! thankfully the lawyers haven't messed up chainsaws like they did gas cans. Well, they tried once with that safety tip thingy, but that didn't last thank God.

Actually they have.

The chain break broke on my old Husky about 20yrs ago so I took it off.

Saw shops will not work on it now.

Fortunately it still runs like a top.
I bought a Husky last spring. What a great machine.

My Husky has run circles around all the Stihls I've owned in the last 30 years. It's been a great saw.

We cut wood with our saws. You guys must be cutting Marshmallow trees. Huskys ain’t bad but they ain’t stihl.
Originally Posted by FieldGrade

Actually they have.

Don't ruin it for me.

I will take any pro saw over a homeowner model any day of the week.
Originally Posted by White_Bear

$700 each. Pony up and you can be a pro

And that’s my price. If you ain’t paying that, you’re the fuggin weekend woodboy.

This^^^^^^^

We cut wood with our saws. You guys must be cutting Marshmallow trees. Huskys ain’t bad but they ain’t stihl.

Eggzackly. Ask the pros...they’ll tell you the same thing. I’ve got a 362 (and a few others) and it’s the nastiest saw I’ve ever held. Beast

Actually they have.

Don't ruin it for me.

Sorry

As if not a [bleep] chance. I have almost heard it all.. no offence. STIHL OR BUST
I just cut 6 cords with a 25.00 Poulin I bought at a yard sale. I just wish it would split the wood as it cut. frown
Originally Posted by watch4bear
I just cut 6 cords with a 25.00 Poulin I bought at a yard sale. I just wish it would split the wood as it cut. frown

Your mother will be proud.
I run mostly Stihls as well as an old 70E Jonsereds. I keep them in battery and they go through soft and hardwood like a hot knife through butter. Got rid of my Pull-ons years ago, but fresh (to me at least) ones keep showing up: so I use 'em for loaners.
Originally Posted by 7 STW

As if not a [bleep] chance. I have almost heard it all.. no offence. STIHL OR BUST

It’s really that simple, those who argue just never really cut trees much. Sorry husky/poulan girls. 😀
It’s really that simple, those who argue just never really cut trees much. Sorry husky/poulan girls. 😀

Is the price of a cord of wood cheaper if its cut with a still? grin

No, just 3 times quicker.

smile

Yer probly a Ford driver too! laugh

Ah, speed cutting. laugh
You CLUELESS fhuqking Snowflakes are hilarious. A Stihl couldn't muster the power requisite,to pull a greasy string out of a cat's ass.

Hint RINK

Hint RINK 2

Hint RINK 3

"Tell" me "more". Laughing!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Though in fairness...I've only personally cut better than 100,000,000 bd ft of Timber (Hunnert Fhuqking Million board feet).

Bless your hearts.

Laughing!..................

Ah, speed cutting. laugh

Ahh. You like to go through your wood slow. Stick to your day gig.
I like Stihl but the Husky saws I have been around seem pretty good.
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
I like Stihl but the Husky saws I have been around seem pretty good.

Until they break.
Tell him how much you pay for your saws, and how fast you are at wood cutting. I'm sure he'll be impressed. I know I sure am grin
I suppose thats right Toddly.

The shops that sell and service pro saws are 10-1 here Stihl to Husky.

A saw cache is most likely to be Stihl.

RARELY see a Husky on a fire.

My communist vegetarian logger friend from Denmark likes Stihl.....good enough for me.
Tell him how much you pay for your saws, and how fast you are at wood cutting. I'm sure he'll be impressed. I know I sure am grin

You’re opinion is so valued I’m sure. Buy a Stihl, it only hurts once.
I own a Still of comparative size and bar length to a 620P ECHO brand saw. I believe Echo will outdo a Stihl. We've had a lot of cutting this year due to a tornado taking down lots of trees and a barn. Been cutting stuff since early April. I don't have complaints against the Stihl but the Echo seems to be the better saw. Try it before you deny it.

My communist vegetarian logger friend from Denmark likes Stihl.....good enough for me.

You should write for hallmark.

Laffin!
Originally Posted by Hastings
I own a Still of comparative size and bar length to a 620P ECHO brand saw. I believe Echo will outdo a Stihl. We've had a lot of cutting this year due to a tornado taking down lots of trees and a barn. Been cutting stuff since early April. I don't have complaints against the Stihl but the Echo seems to be the better saw. Try it before you deny it.

Echo is very comparable.

You should write for hallmark.

Who says I dont?
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter

Laffin!

You lookin at your dick?
Never said I didn't own a stihl wink I'm just here to listen to you self aggrandize grin Do you have a stump to stand on?
Night you bunch of saw pussies. 😉

And that’s my price. If you ain’t paying that, you’re the fuggin weekend woodboy.

More than a few Jonsereds in the 71cc-94cc range so I'm sure they fit your criteria but I'm not going to argue with someone who probably can't pronounce Stihl correctly.
Mayonnaise and Fords, my guess.

More than a few Jonsereds in the 71cc-94cc range so I'm sure they fit your criteria but I'm not going to argue with someone who probably can't pronounce Stihl correctly.

Pronounce? Go change your Kotex mr pronounce.
Do the trees only look big because you are very, very small??

I agree. I am laughing at the posts on this one. I will keep my Dolmar and laugh at those arguing over the Stihl vs Husky guys.
If a tree falls in the forest, and Toddly cuts it up before it hits the ground; did he pay a lot for his saw?
If a tree falls in the forest, and Toddly cuts it up before it hits the ground; did he pay a lot for his saw?

Thats plenty fast.

Pronounce? Go change your Kotex mr pronounce.

I prefer pro saws to homeowner models. I could give two chitts what brand they are. You're the one who wanted to compare dicks. Go to the nearest public bathroom and play with someone else. I'm out.
Originally Posted by Big Stick
You CLUELESS fhuqking Snowflakes are hilarious. A Stihl couldn't muster the power requisite,to pull a greasy string out of a cat's ass.

Though in fairness...I've only personally cut better than 100,000,000 bd ft of Timber (Hunnert Fhuqking Million board feet).

Bless your hearts.

You still falling trees Stick? Nice pictures of real trees.
Do the trees only look big because you are very, very small??

Yes. I’m a small man.
Don't feel too bad; they didn't like Obama either.

Laffin!

You lookin at your dick?

Make sure you stop by the next time your dead ass heads to Myrtle Beach.

Yeah, but how easy is it to get factory rebuild kits for a primer bulb for a 10 year old motor??? On my last Husky, they were non-existent....Stihls were easy to find.

Laffin!

You lookin at your dick?

I’m there all the time. Pm me and I’ll make it a point to come and visit again with your old lady.

Laffin!

You lookin at your dick?

I’m there all the time. Pm me and I’ll make it a point to come and visit again with your old lady.

I’ll be your welcome wagon mfr.
quit talking and pm me. I love a welcome wagon.

I've been logging in British Columbia since I was 16. I'm now 43. I have done every job burning diesel or 2 stroke fuel. I know a production saw when I see one. No offense to Stick but you couldn't run fast enough to give me a husky
Chain saw threads never disappoint.

Lets talk about oil filters next.

Even though they are the absolute best you can buy.......I frigging hate Cat fuel filters now.
You don't know chit about oil filters.

How's that for starters?
Well, I know they all have left hand threads.
Really???? I didn't know anyone made a left hand thread oil filter but I can see how someone trying to change one that wasn't aware of the left handed threads could learn to hate em.

What's the reason? Do Cat motors torque the wrong direction or something.

The best oil filters cost so much, very few can afford them. If you screw em on quickly, they're extra quiet. Like 3 times quieter than quiet.

Originally Posted by Snake River Marksman
Bought a husky 455 rancher. It just chews right through dry pine. Only used it for maybe 30 minutes; but I'm already liking it a lot

I use one for my limbing saw and run a 16" bar with 3/8 .058 chain on it, same chain as I run on my Pro saw as I don't have to change the Oregon sharpener around. In Black Box I drop the rakers to 35 thou as it gives a better chip and better cut, which is just about opposite to what one would think should be done with extremely hard wood....but, whatever works.

The most important thing I have found with chainsaws is to run 98 fuel in it as it not only starts easier it also runs better.

Good choice by the way, terrific little saw.
Holy chit, ol Toddly must have had one too many whine coolers last night!
It isn’t so much the new saw as it is the new chain. When I have a lot of cutting to do, I buy a new chain. I have about 20 chains, I take them to the hardware store to be sharpened. They charge 3 bucks. They do a good job, but it will never be as good as when they were new. Just my opinion.
Posted By: BIGR Re: Gosh a new chain saw is nice! - 09/14/18
I have run a Husky 372XP for several years, great saw, been looking at a medium sized saw like one of the ranchers.

Also have an older Stihl 026 that is my light duty clearing the road saw for the farm. Guess its a toss up between the two companies as far as the best brand of saw. Never owned one of the bigger Stihls so I don't know if one could one with the Husky 372XP, when comparing engine CC's..
Have a MS360 pro I bought new 18 years a go. Very reliable saw for a tool doesn't get abused, but doesn't get any TLC either. Always starts, always runs and cuts. Just bought the commercial model MS261 without the electronic carburetor. A dealer I know who serves the utility industry found some so we snatched two up. Really don't want the hassle of taking a saw back to the dealer to get plugged in to the computer to find out why it doesn't run.
I like Napa Gold oil filters.
Originally Posted by hanco
I like Napa Gold oil filters.

Oh no.... Wix are WAY better.

(tongue-in-cheek for those who know anything about filters}
Miracle Whip all the way baby!
Started a retaining wall system today. Totals about 1200' of PT 4x6 walls, steps, and boxes. The Husky really makes nice joints.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]😂😂😂😂😂🤣🤣
TFF
[Linked Image]

Here is my little beauty. I bought this 3 years ago for $625. Great little saw I use it to build log cabins, also for cutting firewood.

I also have 2 Stihl, love all 3 of 'em.
Bubble bee saw above
Lol
What a chitshow.
Sharp chain,saw tuned with alcohol free at 40:1.
Time on the trigger.

Loud mouths prolly use more wax to polish their saws than premix.....

And to the OP......glad you like your new saw!!!
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Snake River Marksman

The Husky was my go to saw for making a living cutting logs,but the Sthil is bullet proof and does a great job for the just occasional user..The Sthil was the go to saw for logging landings and people who really had no clue how to use one right.Not as temperamental as some other high rev saws.

My now, for cutting a bunch of firewood yearly to sell and use, Sthil 046 eats wood like no other (laughing).

[Linked Image]
The wife has a Husqvarna 455 (55.5 cc) that I've used a few times and it is a nice enough saw, but honestly I like my older Husky 257 (57 cc) a little better. No primer ball on that 257 and 13,000 rpm instead of 9,000 with more intuitive controls. Hanco has it right with that new chain for serious cutting. I like the most aggressive 3/8 pitch Stihl chain that I can find to go on the Husqvarna saws. It is no safety chain, so be careful of a kick back, but does it ever cut. For just limbing I bought the little Stihl MS 150 C last year and it is so light weight you can limb all day and not get tired of holding it even with one hand. The city crews and my tree trimming buddy all use Stihl saws and you sure can't go wrong with those either. Having two saws beats one though most guys could get by pretty well with just that mid 50 cc size.
Originally Posted by logcutter
[quote=Snake River Marksman]Bought a husky 455 rancher. It just chews right through dry pine. Only used it for maybe 30 minutes; but I'm already liking it a lot

The Husky was my go to saw for making a living cutting logs,but the Sthil is bullet proof and does a great job for the just occasional user..The Sthil was the go to saw for logging landings and people who really had no clue how to use one right.Not as temperamental as some other high rev saws.

My now, for cutting a bunch of firewood yearly to sell and use, Sthil 046 eats wood like no other (laughing).

Husky make some great source no doubt about it. I have an 025 ms362 ms461 046 Magnum and a West German 038 Magnum ll . Hands down my favorite saw, best cutting saw is my 046, And that’s what is over 20 years old, my 038 I bought an 85, still runs like a raped ape :-)just got back my ms461, Had a west coast muscle build on it, Decked and ported and a long list of other things :-) haven’t run it yet, getting her in the wood tomorrow I’m hoping it’s going to be my new best cutting saw :-)

OP, That’s a good saw Take care of it and it will serve you well.
When I was in NE PA, the local power equipment dealer sold and serviced Johnsenred and Huskie. They ran and cut fine. Here, my local power equipment dealer sells and services Stihl. They run and cut fine. Have seen professional cutters with both. As noted above, a new saw loop and a straight, square bar go a long way...
[Linked Image]

Grandpa said hogs were a mortgage lifter in his era, in my era Stihl is.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: add Re: Gosh a new chain saw is nice! - 09/16/18
laugh

Originally Posted by fredIII
[Linked Image]😂😂😂😂😂🤣🤣
Posted By: add Re: Gosh a new chain saw is nice! - 09/16/18
Originally Posted by roundoak
[Linked Image]

That does not look like fir!
Originally Posted by Scott F

I agree. I am laughing at the posts on this one. I will keep my Dolmar and laugh at those arguing over the Stihl vs Husky guys.

If my old 372xp were to die, it's replacement would be a 7910 Dolmar.

Husky
Stihl
Dolmar

And a couple names many of the Stihl fan boys have never heard,
They are good equipment.

But Stihl has become like John Deere or Cat. Status brands.
Nothing wrong with the machine, fine stuff, really.

It's the fanboys who put their self worth in owning the "cool" stuff. Their overall lack of knowledge becomes obvious.

And yes, I have run Stihl, Husky, Jonsered, Shindiawa, McCullough, Homelite...
Mostly pro-saws.
Times change, technology changes.
The modern companies have struggled with strato-engines, and electronics. All of them.
They all make good stuff, and I am wary of anyone's new models until proven.
Originally Posted by hanco
It isn’t so much the new saw as it is the new chain. When I have a lot of cutting to do, I buy a new chain. I have about 20 chains, I take them to the hardware store to be sharpened. They charge 3 bucks. They do a good job, but it will never be as good as when they were new. Just my opinion.

I wish we were neighbors, and used a common chain.
I would buy your couple times sharpened chains. Preferably dull

I touch up new chains before they get run, and used chain works better.
It's lighter, stretched, and gets more aggressive.
Check out the chain competitive cutters use. It's not brand new!

If your chains don't cut as they age, are your depth gauges too high?
Good chance.
When I was logging,majority of timber cutters used Husky's ,and on the landing (yarders), the majority of landing saws were Stihl's.
Originally Posted by Windfall
The wife has a Husqvarna 455 (55.5 cc) that I've used a few times and it is a nice enough saw, but honestly I like my older Husky 257 (57 cc) a little better. No primer ball on that 257 and 13,000 rpm instead of 9,000 with more intuitive controls. Hanco has it right with that new chain for serious cutting. I like the most aggressive 3/8 pitch Stihl chain that I can find to go on the Husqvarna saws. It is no safety chain, so be careful of a kick back, but does it ever cut. For just limbing I bought the little Stihl MS 150 C last year and it is so light weight you can limb all day and not get tired of holding it even with one hand. The city crews and my tree trimming buddy all use Stihl saws and you sure can't go wrong with those either. Having two saws beats one though most guys could get by pretty well with just that mid 50 cc size.

My backup saw is a 257 with 24" bar. It was good in its day. Still works ok, I use it for flush cutting stumps. The 460 is noticeably more powerful. And starts easier.
"If your chains don't cut as they age, are your depth gauges too high?
Good chance."

Bingo, dilllonbuck. "Earth to chainsaw guy. File down your depth gauges. Do you read me? Come in, chain saw guy.... "
Dillonbuck, I’ve got a PS-7900 Dolmar w/full wrap bars. It’s a beast.
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
"If your chains don't cut as they age, are your depth gauges too high?
Good chance."

Bingo, dilllonbuck. "Earth to chainsaw guy. File down your depth gauges. Do you read me? Come in, chain saw guy.... "

Pferd Chainsharp

http://www.pferdusa.com/products/201b/201b01/index.html

I’ve got the original style in three sizes, but the newer CS-X looks like it be worth a try.
Originally Posted by kingston
Dillonbuck, I’ve got a PS-7900 Dolmar w/full wrap bars. It’s a beast.

My buddy has a PS – 35 and a PS – 6100, 6100 is a fantastic saw definitely has a pair of balls, 7900 must be a beast. Makita bought out dolmar, they really didn’t change a thing good solid company.
I don't know about the 7910 I mentioned, I hope they didn't screw up the magic of the 7900.

The 7900 was one of the lightest 80cc saws.
And it ran at the speed of the smaller saws.
That's a nice combination.

The 460 Still was a great saw.
And it better out cut a 257 Husky.

Something about the 460's 80+cc's VS the 257's 50cc's.
It's not even a comparison.

But, I would bet that if they are both tuned, sharp, and in good condition.
The 257 will match the 460, cut for cut` in limbing or cutting 8-10" firewood.
It's much faster, and small stuff shouldn't drag it down much.

These two were very good saws from two good companies. But they serve different purposes.
And they compliment each other well. You are set up to have nice equipment for most any cutting job short of real big stuff.
Many people are not aware that the EPA started regulating chainsaws about 2000 with stages of more stringent emissions. Stratified charge, lean burn, restrictive and/or catalytic mufflers, locked carb jet screws,etc,etc.. IMO the best bet is to look for a lightly used pre-EPA pro saw or a professionally rebuilt pre-EPA saw from a good saw shop. Look at the serial number tag, if it states a year of 2000 or later it has emission control features. Older saws have a serial number with no year.
Posted By: 28lx Re: Gosh a new chain saw is nice! - 09/16/18
I'm not brand loyal I have a 575XP and a MS391 they are both good saws IMO.
I have both Stihl and Husky, both are good. Sounds like a Ford versus Chevy argument
I have Stihl equipment for a couple of reasons. Every Stihl I have starts easy and runs like it is supposed to. And every town of more than 1000 people in this area has a Stihl servicing dealer. The best 2 saws I had run before I bought one was Stihl or Husky but there isn't the dealer support here for Husky.
I use both an older Husky 266 thats been hot-rodded, and a newer Stihl 441 Magnum. I would say they are equal. Have had the Husky for 40 plus years!
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Oldidaho
Many people are not aware that the EPA started regulating chainsaws about 2000 with stages of more stringent emissions. Stratified charge, lean burn, restrictive and/or catalytic mufflers, locked carb jet screws,etc,etc.. IMO the best bet is to look for a lightly used pre-EPA pro saw or a professionally rebuilt pre-EPA saw from a good saw shop. Look at the serial number tag, if it states a year of 2000 or later it has emission control features. Older saws have a serial number with no year.

This. I have three pre-EPA saws, two newer emission saws One of which I sent out and had A muscle saw build out of it,emissions removed MS 461, It is for display use only I do not cut firewood with it,(test saw). A pre-EPA Or even an EPA saw professionally built is a totally different animal.
Originally Posted by kenster99
I use both an older Husky 266 thats been hot-rodded, and a newer Stihl 441 Magnum. I would say they are equal. Have had the Husky for 40 plus years!
[Linked Image]

I see your Husky 266 and raise with my McCulloch 450 Super Pro. wink

[Linked Image]

I would love to have that H, though.
Forgot my maul that day to drive in some falling wedges, so used the H for that!!
[Linked Image]
I got tired of burning up gas saws.

I cut a lot when I cut and then it just sits and all the rubber in them go's.

I went threw 4 electric saws they just do not make them to hold up to real work.

I got talked into buying an Husky electric for around $350 if my memory is correct.

I burned it up cutting two small trees a China Berry maybe 16" dia. and a young Pecan close to 8" dia.

I just bought a Stihl MS311 with an 3/8 X .050 chain

I get to see how long this one will last.

I did buy there premix fuel so it will not be the fuel that crocks it if it go's.
Big [bleep] deal. I see that crap 24. 7.
After my Grandpa died, my Dad gave me his saw. Husqvarna 2100 cd, man that thing screams. Nothing wrong with old saws IMO.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
About 10 years ago someone stole the Homelite 16" saw out of my truck. If I ever find that guy I'll shake his hand. I decided to bite the bullet and buy a decent saw and ended up with a Stihl 310 with a 20" bar. I needed to cut some bigger logs at the time. There may be "bettter" saws, but I paid $400 at the time and it has served me well. My research at the time led me to Husky and Stihl as the best options for me at the time. When I asked about repair the Stihl could be worked on in house at the local hardware store. The Husky would have to be sent off. That was the deciding factor.

That is a big saw for most of my needs, but it is easier to make a big saw work on small projects than the other way. But a couple of years later I bought a 14" Echo. To be honest it gets used more and either is 10X better than the Homelite that was stolen.

I'll burn 2-3 cords each winter. The Pro models are great I'm sure, but I've been happy with these and they serve my needs.
Same here, happened about 32-33 years ago, went and bought a 028 Super Wood Boss, it has kept us warm and roads clear ever since.
Went last spring and bought a Echo 590 just to have a 2nd saw since the Stihl was so old [allowed son to take 021 when he left], not disappointed with that one either.
It is Echo's only Japanese made saw I believe?
But as mentioned, a good bar, running saw and loop makes all the difference no matter brand.
Older the better. Especially with Husky. You guys must know a vacuum company named Electrolux makes husky. Thought I should mention that.
You guys must know a vacuum company named Electrolux makes husky

Taco Bell is owned by Yum! out of California.
I've been looking at both of those models. I have some big saws but I want something smaller for firewood chores.

I've been looking at husq 550XP

But I've got the big saw/little saw covered pretty well already do I don't really have an excuse.
Originally Posted by northern_dave

But I've got the big saw/little saw covered pretty well already do I don't really have an excuse.

That is one badass saw
get you one of them yellow chisel chains to go with it. them suckers rip wood like nothing else
Older the better. Especially with Husky. You guys must know a vacuum company named Electrolux makes husky. Thought I should mention that.

My Husky's run just fine, cut just fine, and last me just fine. I gave both of them a workout for a few months after the hurricane here last year. Hardwoods.

You know a sewing machine company named Singer made Govt. Model 1911?

Thought I should mention that. grin
Originally Posted by Rooster7

That is one badass saw

I been eyeballing that 550xp since it came out. Power to weight is very nice, it's not a baby saw, not a big saw either.. think it's under 11 pounds or about 11 with a bar on it. Small chain, .325 but that's ok. Not everything has to cut a 3/8 notch.

I got no need tho, I have a bigger jonsered pro saw and a baby (I bought Dusty's 2152 on his auction)
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

My Husky's run just fine, cut just fine, and last me just fine. I gave both of them a workout for a few months after the hurricane here last year. Hardwoods.

Electrolux makes refrigerators and freezers in .... sauk centre mn?

Husq and Jonsered are both made in Sweden, under the same roof.
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

Electrolux makes refrigerators and freezers in .... sauk centre mn?

Husq and Jonsered are both made in Sweden, under the same roof.

Yeah, have one of each. Both excellent saws.

I have run a Stihl more than anything in my adult life, while surveying and cutting brush/trees for survey line. I like the Husky's better.
And you being an idiot or trying to start a pissing match. Either way I have more experience in the bush working than all on this thread combined including Big Stick. So flame the [bleep] on
I've run Stihl plenty too. I've pulled the rope on the white and orange, heap big plenty. Still pulling... can't get started.... lol!

No, Good stuff. One of my fav Stihl saws was a little top handle climbing saw. I don't think they make it anymore. My oldest boy just bought a new home owner level stihl. So far so good, it's got a weird spring loaded recoil, starts one pull and you can pull super slow. Like you are pulling a spring and it doesnt turn the motor until you are almost full pull. Funny, it reminds me of a spring loaded wind up push mower I had once. Top of the motor had a crank you wind up like a spring loaded wind up toy. then you flip a little lever and the loaded spring spins the engine over. lol

Ya always have an excuse for another Chainsaw , Tractor and any other tool you want.

Ya did see I did not say Need just want.
Where there is a will there is a way.
I've run Stihl plenty too. I've pulled the rope on the white and orange, heap big plenty. Still pulling... can't get started.... lol!

No, Good stuff. One of my fav Stihl saws was a little top handle climbing saw. I don't think they make it anymore. My oldest boy just bought a new home owner level stihl. So far so good, it's got a weird spring loaded recoil, starts one pull and you can pull super slow. Like you are pulling a spring and it doesnt turn [/color[color:#FF0000]]the motor until you are almost full pull. Funny, it reminds me of a spring loaded wind up push mower I had once. Top of the motor had a crank you wind up like a spring loaded wind up toy. then you flip a little lever and the loaded spring spins the engine over. lol

I hurt both my shoulders and arms earlier this year and the Doc said not pull on any chainsaws until I heal up. I was aware of the Stihl EZStart saws and purchased a MS 251 CB-E and kept on working in the woods. It sure is an eerie feeling when you slow pull the saw and it starts.
And you being an idiot or trying to start a pissing match. Either way I have more experience in the bush working than all on this thread combined including Big Stick. So flame the [bleep] on

Yeah.

You're our hero.

You are also the only one that can use a chainsaw for any purpose, or have an opinion about it.

Tell ya what Buttercup.. As soon as you buy me a professional grade Stihl, and I use it a couple of years, I'll let you tell me what saw I buy and use with my own money... laugh

Deal?

Explains why Husqvarna's are good saws. Electrolux are good vacuums.
Jesus I'm a hero compared to you couch sitting pos. Most of you on this site wouldn't know hard days work if it hit you on the head. I'm done being polite around you morons so [bleep] you

That is one badass saw

I been eyeballing that 550xp since it came out. Power to weight is very nice, it's not a baby saw, not a big saw either.. think it's under 11 pounds or about 11 with a bar on it. Small chain, .325 but that's ok. Not everything has to cut a 3/8 notch.

I got no need tho, I have a bigger jonsered pro saw and a baby (I bought Dusty's 2152 on his auction)

I was/am in the same boat. I WANT the xp but I don't NEED the xp. If I burned wood for heat though, that would be the first saw I went and bought.
Jesus I'm a hero compared to you couch sitting pos. Most of you on this site wouldn't know hard days work if it hit you on the head. I'm done being polite around you morons so [bleep] you

I'm pretty sure I understand hard work, as do a few others around here.

I'm pretty sure I understand hard work, as do a few others around here.

Nope, just him.
Originally Posted by roundoak

No, Good stuff. One of my fav Stihl saws was a little top handle climbing saw. I don't think they make it anymore. My oldest boy just bought a new home owner level stihl. So far so good, it's got a weird spring loaded recoil, starts one pull and you can pull super slow. Like you are pulling a spring and it doesnt turn [/color[color:#FF0000]]the motor until you are almost full pull. Funny, it reminds me of a spring loaded wind up push mower I had once. Top of the motor had a crank you wind up like a spring loaded wind up toy. then you flip a little lever and the loaded spring spins the engine over. lol

I hurt both my shoulders and arms earlier this year and the Doc said not pull on any chainsaws until I heal up. I was aware of the Stihl EZStart saws and purchased a MS 251 CB-E and kept on working in the woods. It sure is an eerie feeling when you slow pull the saw and it starts.

Cool!

I sure get a kick out of his. I can see where it would be absolutely perfect for your situation.
Originally Posted by Big Stick

Hint RINK

Hint RINK 2

Hint RINK 3

"Tell" me "more". Laughing!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Bless your hearts.

having been a pro logger myself, stick is correct. it takes a lot of experience and skill to cut a tree that size that pretty. In my experience the huskies hold up a lot better and most of the hard coor still guys i know have never tried anything else.

That is one badass saw

I bought a 550XP last fall.

Use it to clean up the never ending downed trees, little bit of firewood, corral work, etc..

The POS would not idle to save it's life.... Well for the first 2-3 tanks anyway. It runs fine now.
Originally Posted by SamOlson

That is one badass saw

I bought a 550XP last fall.

Use it to clean up the never ending downed trees, little bit of firewood, corral work, etc..

The POS would not idle to save it's life.... Well for the first 2-3 tanks anyway. It runs fine now.

Sam, for the little I need a chain saw here on my 6 acres, I went with the Husq 435. I was pleased with how well it idled out of the gate. Still does. The other saws I've had didn't idle for chitt but they were also chitt saws lol
Rooster, the crazy thing is you CAN'T fiddle with carb adjustments on the new 'pro' saws.

It's all ran by a computer chip. I think that's how they work, self tuning....

Drive a guy crazy and I was one happy mofo when it finally tuned itself.

There is no way I own a saw like that though if I was way out in the boonies. You simply cannot work on it.

Of course the same can be said for new diesel pickups(or most any new vehicle).....
Rooster, the crazy thing is you CAN'T fiddle with carb adjustments on the new 'pro' saws.

There is no way I own a saw like that though if I was way out in the boonies. You simply cannot work on it.

Of course the same can be said for new diesel pickups(or most any new vehicle).....

Isn't that the truth. Not much the average Joe can do on this new fangled stuff now days.

Sam.....on the computer saws I’ve worked with you can reprogram them.
Been a while. But on the Stihls it’s
Start
WFO for ten seconds
Idle for ten seconds
Shut off.
Repeat.
Something like that. Been a couple of years.
Nice for changing altitude

Isn't that the truth. Not much the average Joe can do on this new fangled stuff now days.

I was glad to find a new MS261 without the computer a couple months ago. None of the retail dealers could get one.

You're a peach alright.

An ignorant one. But a peach... smile

Does this mean that you're not buying me a Pro Grade Stihl and sending it to me? grin

100% correct.

Two examples of what happens when the goverment gets it's camel sniffer under the manufacturing tent. Companies have no choice but to go with a less efficient model thanks to some vegan bureaucrat with an environmental agenda to burn.

Look at all the small engines with turbo's slapped on to make them act like the next sized bigger motor.

The EPA is the herpes division of government.
Originally Posted by 4winds

The EPA is the herpes division of government.

LOL! laugh

True!
Posted By: ST50 Re: Gosh a new chain saw is nice! - 09/19/18

I have sold maybe 20 of these, mostly the 455's. We've had almost zero problems with them. I set them up and dial the carbs in a little if necessary. ALWAYS Stick with the correct oil to avoid future problems. not just mix ratio, but use the SAME oil. Sounds simple, but I get people every year that can't remember. They are very good saws.
I bought a DEWALT DCCS620P1 20V MAX Lithium-Ion XR Brushless Compact 12 in. Cordless Chainsaw Kit (5AH) this year for clearing my backyard for a garden for my grandkids.

I don't bother to sharpen chains any more. I just buy more. They go quickly when I am in the dirt sawing roots.

I can get most big trees taken out for $2k each by the pros.

I wasn't aware that chainsaws used oil filters. lol
Originally Posted by funshooter
I got tired of burning up gas saws.

I cut a lot when I cut and then it just sits and all the rubber in them go's.

I went threw 4 electric saws they just do not make them to hold up to real work.

I got talked into buying an Husky electric for around $350 if my memory is correct.

I burned it up cutting two small trees a China Berry maybe 16" dia. and a young Pecan close to 8" dia.

I just bought a Stihl MS311 with an 3/8 X .050 chain

I get to see how long this one will last.

I did buy there premix fuel so it will not be the fuel that crocks it if it go's.

Damn good saw, used mine last night and will be using it again to cut this winters fire wood supply at the cabin this weekend. Enjoy!
I might try a Maketa EA6100, its about the same price as a Husqvarna saw with the same horsepower but its rpms are higher
Originally Posted by jimmyp
I might try a Maketa EA6100, its about the same price as a Husqvarna saw with the same horsepower but its rpms are higher

Made by dolmar
In my experience the huskies hold up a lot better and most of the hard coor still guys i know have never tried anything else.

I would not go that far...I was a die hard Husky user falling tree's for a living and at the time,the Husky had the best power to weight ratio for someone using a saw all day long...The Stihls are bullet proof under heavy use while the Husky is good,it does not stack up to the abuse a Stihl can take..Heck,I have 5 Stihls now..Can't seem to get rid of saws anymore and I'm a junkie for good deals on saws tthat someone sells cheap because they think it's got issues.

By the way on logging,cutting logs is not by far the hardest job in the woods..Hooking off a tong jammer is by far harder than any of the other jobs logging.
Posted By: ST50 Re: Gosh a new chain saw is nice! - 09/20/18

Electrolux does not have much to do with Husqvarna engineering and design. The company introduced a powerful lightweight saw in 1959 in Europe. Hopefully the corporation doesn't make any bonehead decisions in the future.
Posted By: J23 Re: Gosh a new chain saw is nice! - 09/20/18
I have had the same 455 Rancher for over ten years now if memory serves me. I went with the 20" bar. I have cut untold cords of wood with it through the years, as it's my only source of heat. Aside from routine maintenance every year (i.e. filters, plug, ect.,) as well as a new bar from time to time, and sharpening/replacing chains, it has held up well. That being said, I think either the same year, or the year after, my buddy bought a Stihl "Farm Boss." I can't remember the numerical model designation, but its about the same size. We cut a lot of wood together, and his has held up just as well and has had about the same amount of use. Frankly, I think its comparing apples to apples. Both brands put out quality saws.
Originally Posted by J23
I have had the same 455 Rancher for over ten years now if memory serves me. I went with the 20" bar. I have cut untold cords of wood with it through the years, as it's my only source of heat. Aside from routine maintenance every year (i.e. filters, plug, ect.,) as well as a new bar from time to time, and sharpening/replacing chains, it has held up well. That being said, I think either the same year, or the year after, my buddy bought a Stihl "Farm Boss." I can't remember the numerical model designation, but its about the same size. We cut a lot of wood together, and his has held up just as well and has had about the same amount of use. Frankly, I think its comparing apples to apples. Both brands put out quality saws.

Of course they are both decent brands of saws.

It's just a matter of how bad you wanna insult someone else for exercising their freedom of choice with their own money for buying what they want.

Fords/Chevys

Stihl/Husqvarna

Beans/No beans

laugh

It is quite entertaining to see how ignorant some people really are though. smile

What a stupid thing to say.

You obviously think very highly of yourself.

Big Stick is a dick. But I have seen a couple of his video's, he ain't stupid, or a poser.

However, you make your statement. I have been running saws since I was around 10.
And I am a whole lot older than that. Do you work 8 hour days or 12? More? How many do I work?
How many decades?

I haven't been logging in years. You didn't know that. Some here may have more experience than you.

Grow the hell up!
© 24hourcampfire