Home
Ken was taken to the hospital last night and they believe that he is having a series of strokes.

Prayers, good thoughts, and all other positive attitudes are greatly needed and appreciated for Ken and his family.

Ed
Dang!

Good luck Ken!
Prayers for Ken and family.

-Jake
Done!

And Again this morning!!
That is dreadful news. I hope, and pray for a recovery!
Thoughts and prayers from Iowa.
Prayers and good thoughts sent
Prayers from here.
Wow - prayers for Ken - get well soon so he can post pictures of rabbit hunting with an elephant rifle .
Prayers sent from soggy NC!
Sorry to hear of his health problems, prayers sent.
Well damn, this one feels like close to home. Prayers sent.
Thanks for passing that on Ed.

Positive thoughts from here.
Dammit!

Prayers for Ken.
Dang. Done.
Originally Posted by fgold767
Prayers sent from soggy NC!

+1. I’m very sorry to hear this news.
Well Damnit!

God Bless Elk, hang in there Buddy.
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Done!

And Again this morning!!

This!
It’s been a rough ride this week for Ken and Judy.
Hang in there, lots of people on your side.
Posted By: efw Re: Prayer needed for elkhunternm - 09/15/18
Very sorry to hear this will def lift Ken & fam in prayer I hope we can hear updates as they’re available.
Rootin for you Ken. Sending some good thoughts your way.
Done here. Sorry to hear of this.
Hang tuff Ken, we ain't thru talkin'!
Prayers for Judy as well.
Oh my god. This is terrible news. Ken and Judy you’re in my thoughts.
Very sorry to hear this. Prayers sent for a speedy and full recovery.
Godspeed.

The earlier it's caught, the better.
Prayers for Ken and his family sent.
prayers
Sorry to hear about this, He is in my thoughts
Posted By: K22 Re: Prayer needed for elkhunternm - 09/15/18
Oh no.....................prayers from our family.
Damn, I never met Ken, but I met his wonderful family in Quemado, a few years back. he's got to be a good man, with a family like that.
Prayers on the way.
Dam, Prayers sent! get well soon!
God's peace and healing for Ken and family. Amen
Prayers here for one of the good guys.
Prayers sent.
On the way Ken.
Praying form my house.
Posted By: g5m Re: Prayer needed for elkhunternm - 09/15/18
Prayers sent.
Posted By: DMc Re: Prayer needed for elkhunternm - 09/15/18
Prayers your way.
Prayers sent.
I'm not much of a prayer' but I'll sure keep the ol bunny slayer in my thoughts.

Hang in there Ken.
For him and his.
Thanks for letting us know.
Oh man. Get better quick, Ken.
Oh no. shocked
Prayers and thoughts to Ken and his family.
Prayers on their way to the Father in His Son's name.
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
I'm not much of a prayer' but I'll sure keep the ol bunny slayer in my thoughts.

Hang in there Ken.

Exact dittos.

Why is it the good guys.
Well this news isn't much fun to wake up to...

Ed, thanks for reporting this.... I'll let my wife know since she and Judy have met and had fun together at Quemado.. she really liked Judy as both she and my wife are Judys, and both from Minnesota.

In regards to Ken, if it is being reported he was having a bunch of small strokes, then hopefully what he is having are TIAs.. ( trans ischemic attacks or 'mini strokes') those are a hell of a lot more easy to recover from than a Stroke.. and he's kinda close to too young to have a stroke... I do know he is a fellow diabetic
and has a few other weird issues, but nothing that warrant a full blown stroke ( on average at least, there is always exceptions.)

Judy, If you read this, please know my Judy and I are praying hard for both of you guys....

you are darn fine people, and any hard ship you might have to endure is a little heartbreaking to say the least...

Peace be with you Judy and may the Good Lord be watching over Ken and let him pull out of this, no worse for wear and tear....

best regards
John and Judy
Sending up smoke.
Done!
[Linked Image]
Thoughts prayers and wishes sent.
Prayers sent from here.
Prayers from Mississippi
Prayers from Oregon 😎
Prayers from here
Sorry to read this. Hoping for the very best outcome.
Get well

All power in prayer sent to you Ken, and for your loved ones.

Be well.

Will
I am about 2.5 years since mine. Good luck, God bless. I came out fairly well. Some memory loss, left side weakness, etc.
Posted By: rong Re: Prayer needed for elkhunternm - 09/15/18
positive thoughts as well from here.best of luck with this
Originally Posted by ol_mike
Wow - prayers for Ken - get well soon so he can post pictures of rabbit hunting with an elephant rifle .

Maybe that's what did it! Hey buddy if you're reading this hang tough, we're not thru with you yet. Translated- We haven't fully had our way with you yet. laugh Looking forward to the elephant rifle sale tho! LOl. Get better quick bud.
Posted By: EdM Re: Prayer needed for elkhunternm - 09/15/18
Thoughts from here Ken and family.
That really sucks ass. Prayers for good guy.
Wishing the best for Ken and family.
Get well soon Ken.
Prayers sent for Ken and family,God Bless
Prayers from here Ken, hope your feeling better soon.
Prayers sent for him and family.
Prayers sent from New Jersey! Hang in there Ken!
Here’s hoping for a full and speedy recovery. Best wishes to his family.
Wow, hate to hear this. Seems like a good guy always trying to help keep things light hearted around here.

Please tell I'll lend him a light weight 338 Lapua so he has something light recoiling during recovery until he can step back up to his regular rabbit gun.

Hope that makes him smile. smile

Seriously, prayers for a speedy recovery.
+++
I just got a text from Judy.

Ken had another stroke today and two seizures. They have just moved him to the intermediate care unit.

I'm sure Judy is exhausted...all I can do from here is pray.

Ed
That is serious Ed. Thank you for the news, wish it was better. We pray harder!
Done..

There are times I really dislike this place.
Praying here as well!
Dang! Hate to here that. Prayers for Ken & his family!
Crud.
Posted By: JimR Re: Prayer needed for elkhunternm - 09/16/18
Prayers sent.
Just saw this.....praying for you and your family Ken!!
Prayers offered for Ken and family.
Posted By: Owl Re: Prayer needed for elkhunternm - 09/16/18
Ed, thanks for the post. Did you speak to Judy ?

Ken is one of the good guys.

Prayers for Ken, Judy and family.
Prayers sent.
Prayers for a speedy recovery to normal health.
Posted By: GeoW Re: Prayer needed for elkhunternm - 09/16/18
Prayers for a healthy recovery.

George
Aw man. One kneemail sent, and hope for full recovery.
Prayers sent.
Prayers sent from the Thornburgh home
Prayers sent.

One of our good guys,
get well.
Very sorry to read this. Praying for the best.
Sorry to hear this. Hang tough.
Just saw this....Wishing him all the Best, and his family much strength. Hurry back....you’re already missed here at the “fire”! memtb
Originally Posted by Owl
Ed, thanks for the post. Did you speak to Judy ?

No, Jeff, we've just been communicating through texts. Probably less hazardous for her to do that inside the hospital.

Ed
Ed,

thanks for the update but I sure hoped it was better news than that....

I'm now wondering if it is his diabetes causing issues....more than a few of us are dealing with that issue in life.

Continual prayers for Ken and Judy, and family until he gets thru this and is making a speedy recovery.

God, if you want to take a campfire member... try PaDDler... we want to keep Ken.
Ed,

Thanks for letting us know. My deepest prayers for Ken and Judy. I agree with Seafire's sentiments. All of them.
Prayers lifted and will be hoping for the best for him.
Prayers and best wishes for him and his family from Ms.
Posted By: add Re: Prayer needed for elkhunternm - 09/16/18
Reads as TIA's.

Best wishes elkhunternm and family.
Prayers sent.

Thanks for all those prayers. Keep 'em coming.

I spoke briefly with Judy, who is by Ken's side. She is handling this with grace and love. The kids are OK.

It sounds like Ken's recent head injury (back hoe bucket) caused a blood clot, maybe not currently active, but it still has to be a strong potential for the TIAs and subsequent seizures. He was unable to respond when another Campfire member and his wife came past the hospital for a visit. This is certainly not normal for Ken.

If Judy is able to sign onto the 'Fire she may need to correct this hasty report or maybe give an update. Meanwhile, wear out the knees in your pants, as so many have already been doing. I asked what else she or he might want or need and she offered no other suggestions. The sheer volume of prayers is much in their favor.

As mentioned, texts are probably best way to communicate and I think EdTooManyLetters has that handled. Cards could be sent to him (Ken Holbrook) via Mountain View Regional Medical Center, Room 433, 4311 East Lohman Ave, Las Cruces, NM, 88011.

Bless you all for caring and sharing.
Posted By: TLB2 Re: Prayer needed for elkhunternm - 09/16/18
prayers sent
Posted By: Owl Re: Prayer needed for elkhunternm - 09/16/18
Thank you Border Doc.

This is weighing heavy on my heart and mind.

Please keep us updated as much as you can. I know Ed will be doing the same also.

You two are good men. Thank you for this.
Good luck Ken!
Never met Ken but said a prayer anyway.
Prayers for Ken, Judy, and their family.
More Prayers sent up for Ken & Judy!
Praying
I don't pray, but I always appreciated Ken and what he had to say..... hoping for a favorable recovery....
Prayers from my corner of the country.

Someone gonna’ need ta keep dem rabbits in check.....get better Ken!
I have been following this on another site. I'm keeping Ken and his family in prayer
More prayers sent for him and his family.
I am sooooo disappointed to hear this.

I heard about him being in the hospital last night but couldn't find this thread.
Another member PMd this link to me - THANKS

I am almost > sick to my stomach.
I hope and pray for his QUICK recovery and long and happy life.

I will ask friends and folks from Church to keep him in their prayers.
Never met Ken, but have had a lot of fun with him about those NM "wabbits" and his big gun.

I was shocked and grieved to hear what he's going through, have thought about it a lot. I know that's traumatic for him and his family.

I wish him the best and hope for a good outcome. That's scary stuff.

DF
Prayers from Oklahoma on the way.
Wow, just saw this.

Ken and family , hope for the best for sure.
What's the latest report?

DF
Prayers sent!
Drat. Drat.

here's to the best possible outcome for all involved.
Get well soon!!
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
What's the latest report?

DF

Yeah ?
Prayers sent for elkhunternm and his family.
Dang, dang, dang it all.

I stay away from the 'fire for a coupla days because I was busy with some other stuff. And I get to thinking I spend too much time here anyway. And I miss the important stuff, like my internet friend being in hospital.

Of ALL the folks here Ken is certainly one high on the list of those I'd like to meet in my travels.

Speedy recovery and best wishes and prayers for you and your family Ken.

Geno

PS Border Doc, thanks for the info, I have to go into town today and will pick up and mail a card.
Hoping for a quick and full recovery.
I hate to hear that, have been there myself!
Prayer sent!
Continued prayers from N.C.
Prayers for the best possible outcome, just had a visit from a friend over for a visit from Germany, he had a stroke five years ago, I was amazed at how well he is doing now, just not allowed to drive, but getting around really well.
Any updates on Ken's condition?
Best wishes, elkhunterdude and family.
Posted By: CCCC Re: Prayer needed for elkhunternm - 09/17/18
We have been praying for Ken since this threat first surfaced many months ago, and he seemed to be doing fairly well as we enjoyed visiting at Armijo Springs early in August - but he did seem a bit tired and somewhat limited in activities. He also was feeling the residual of a more recent encounter with a backhoe bucket, and that was cause for added concern, but he seemed to be on a good trend and we said adios with positive expectations.

These recent events are more than worrisome so our prayers are redoubled and our hearts go out to Judy, steadfastly at his side, and to Brenna and Frank as well. Fight hard, Ken - and may God bless you with healing..
Thank you all for your prayers. They mean the world to us. Here is the current update.

In February, he had the two duels with the backhoe. Well he lost both times. It left him with a neurogenic traumatic brain injury. Well, now we are dealing with the after effects. He has had 2 mild strokes since Thursday. The first one effected speech and the right side of his body. (Yes trigger hand) second one left him with seizures. Yesterday he had 2 seizures, today he has had 4.

Tomorrow he goes for an eeg, then figure out how best to help Ken get back to where he was.

Again, thank you All for the prayers, texts, phone calls, and visits.

Ken, Judy, Frank, and Brenna
Thank you for the update. Best wishes to all.
Ken my friend, you got this brother. Let’s kick this backhoe’s ass!
Posted By: g5m Re: Prayer needed for elkhunternm - 09/17/18
Thank you for the update. we wish all of you the best.

Is the room address still correct? (433).
Lots of prayers and good wishes, including mine. Judy, please get some good rest--don't let yourself end up in a room on another floor!
Thanks for the update. Ken is one hell of a great guy. Love reading his posts. He's a tough guy. I'm hoping things start looking better. Hang in there buddy. Prayers sent..
Prayers for them both!

Mike
Dang, I hate hearing this. Prayers sent for elkhunternm and his family from Idaho.
Still praying here.

Thanks, Judy, especially, for the update when you probably just wanted to get some rest. We are all praying for you and Ken and want to help in any way possible.

Is there something we can do? Us "Firefolk" are people of action, wanting to overcome adversity, right the wrongs of the world - - just like you and your family, we want to do what is noble and worthwhile. . .

What would that be? I will be there Tuesday afternoon.
Posted By: djs Re: Prayer needed for elkhunternm - 09/17/18
Hope all comes out well.
Thank You for the update....you all, are in our Thoughs and Prayers! memtb

elkhunternm Offline
From Mesquite,NM in Southern New Mexico
Joined 08/14/09 06:55 AM
Last Seen 09/13/18 05:41 AM
Total Posts 29,881 (Campfire Oracle)
Posts Per Day 8.999
[email protected]
Show Posts Private Message Add to Friend List Follow Ignore
elkhunternm's Forum Signature
Patron Life Member NRA
Life Member SCI
Life Member Dallas Safari Club & DSCNM
Member Houston Safari Club
Take your responsibilites seriously,never yourself-Ken Howell

Ken
About
Birthday January 7
Occupation farmer
Hobbies elk,deer,coyote and hunting in Africa

**************************************************************************************************************************

Very very sad story. I hope it turns out well for our forum member.
I worked in the medical field for many years and I tell you, strokes are vicious. Very bad.
I hope it turns out well for our friend.
Originally Posted by NMLady
Thank you all for your prayers. They mean the world to us. Here is the current update.

In February, he had the two duels with the backhoe. Well he lost both times. It left him with a neurogenic traumatic brain injury. Well, now we are dealing with the after effects. He has had 2 mild strokes since Thursday. The first one effected speech and the right side of his body. (Yes trigger hand) second one left him with seizures. Yesterday he had 2 seizures, today he has had 4.

Tomorrow he goes for an eeg, then figure out how best to help Ken get back to where he was.

Again, thank you All for the prayers, texts, phone calls, and visits.

Ken, Judy, Frank, and Brenna

Thank you for the update. More prayers are on the way.
Prayers for Ken and his family from Michigan. Hoping for the best possible outcome - full recovery.
Thanks guys. I’m taking fmla leave so we can figure this out. God gave us amazing kids that bring me food and clean clothes. Time will tell what we need. I finally slept more than an hour tonight as he has a wonderful night nurse. I slept almost 5 hours....feel human again.

Judy
Thank you for the update Judy , wishing hoping the best for Ken ...
Thanks guys. I’m taking fmla leave so we can figure this out. God gave us amazing kids that bring me food and clean clothes. Time will tell what we need. I finally slept more than an hour tonight as he has a wonderful night nurse. I slept almost 5 hours....feel human again.

Judy

Take care of yourself. More prayers on the way.
Posted By: efw Re: Prayer needed for elkhunternm - 09/17/18
Continuing to pray for wisdom for the doctors and comfort for all. Grateful for the update!
Prayers and best wishes to the both of you! Get well Ken!

Bob
Thanks for the update. Please don't hesitate to ask here if you need help with anything. Prayers sent from Minnesota.
Y'all hang in there, Judy.

If you need anything at all, please let us know.
There are those here that would relish the opportunity.
Posted By: Brad Re: Prayer needed for elkhunternm - 09/17/18
Man, so sorry to hear this. Praying for Ken's recovery...
How old is Ken?
Posted By: J23 Re: Prayer needed for elkhunternm - 09/17/18
Prayers heading your way from Ohio!!
More sent.
I'm shaking my rattle right now!
Prayers sent!
Heartbreaking to read. He's one of the guys we would all like to meet. Judy we have a kid that requires lots of medical care and hospital time and one thing I can tell you is you need to let the doctors handle things at times so you can rest. You can't go on forever w/o sleep.
Prayers continue here
Posted By: CCCC Re: Prayer needed for elkhunternm - 09/17/18
Judy, thank you for keeping us up to date. Certainly you know to let us know any personal needs, small or large, that can be met by any of us Campfire friends - we will help. Echoing the good advice given by others - take good care of yourself throughout this challenge - stay rested and well. Prayers abound.
Prayers for Ken and family.
Prayers sent for Ken and his family.
Originally Posted by CCCC
Judy, thank you for keeping us up to date. Certainly you know to let us know any personal needs, small or large, that can be met by any of us Campfire friends - we will help. Echoing the good advice given by others - take good care of yourself throughout this challenge - stay rested and well. Prayers abound.

Yep. I'm about two hours away and would be more than willing to provide any help that I can.
Prayers sent again
prayers for s full recovery
Prayers sent.
Dr just left. He has to be seizure free 24 hours before they discharge him. No driving 3 -6months. No heavy equipment driving. I may need a cattle prod or taser for help on that.
Dr just left. He has to be seizure free 24 hours before they discharge him. No driving 3 -6months. No heavy equipment driving. I may need a cattle prod or taser for help on that.

Good luck with the tasers and cattle prods... grin

Glad to hear he seems to be stabilizing.

You may want to hide that .460, keep him out of the wabbit patch... wink

DF
Prayers for Ken & his family, from north of the Border !

That's encouraging!

At least they are considering discharging him!

Prayers continued for no more seizures.
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

That's encouraging!

At least they are considering discharging him!

Prayers continued for no more seizures.

I haven't said anything up to this point,...but it sounds encouraging that the only limitations on him is "no driving for 6 months".

I sincerely hope that he can shake it off and get back to business as usual in a little while.

He's always seemed like a decent sort.

Good to hear.
Judy,

Thanks for keeping us all in the loop.

We haven't met yet. I can never seem to arrange the schedule to get to Tonto or Quemado. Please let Ken know that Geno (Valsdad) is pulling for him (and all your family) and I wish him a speedy recovery.

Take care..................... of him and yourself.

Geno

PS, if you can't get the cattle prod to work I know there's a few folks here in the law enforcement community. They may be able to provide ankle shackles that could be shortened enough he won't be able to get his feet far enough apart to work the pedals on both sides of his tractors. I also hear duct tape works quite well at keeping people in their chair........especially if they are kind enough to fall asleep in it for a few minutes. Good lcuk keeping him in check.
Great news, I hope he has a full recovery.
Judy, you may not remember me, but we met briefly at dinner while I was on the way to the roundup with Greg Cameron over in Sierra Vista, back around 2011 as I recall. You and your family left a lasting impression upon me, all favorable. Tell Ken for me that his head buttin' days on the backhoe are done, you're the doctor and he takes orders from you. I'll back you up on that and if he decides to go whisper sweet nothings to that old backhoe I'll pound it flat with my really big hammer. First order of business is for him to get back on his feet and self propelled. He can meet us at the next roundup.

Best wishes,

Dan
Originally Posted by BamBam
Great news, I hope he has a full recovery.
Posted By: prm Re: Prayer needed for elkhunternm - 09/17/18
Wishing him a full recovery!

Great news Judy.

You say the word and 75 cattle prods will be on the way to NM!!
This is great news!
Posted By: EdM Re: Prayer needed for elkhunternm - 09/17/18
Great news indeed.

I would also say for his recovery that he stay away from here for a bit, not good for one in a weakened position. grin
Originally Posted by Partsman

I would also say for his recovery that he stay away from here for a bit, not good for one in a weakened position. grin

If he's grounded from the tractors and back hoe, you know he's gonna be right here...

DF
Posted By: Owl Re: Prayer needed for elkhunternm - 09/17/18
You had better get him finger printed and make him ride the school bus with you. That will keep him busy !
Booyah!!!!

Here's to kicking that backhoe's ass!!!!!!!!!
Improvement is awesome news.
Keep it up, elkhunterdude.
Posted By: rong Re: Prayer needed for elkhunternm - 09/17/18

Judy

Hope he's on the mend,
and you need to take care of yourself and try to rest,Someone will need to K H A,if he tries messin with that backhoe again.
This is going to be tough on Ken but at least he's doing better.
Originally Posted by dennisinaz

Yeah, for sure.

Great news.

But, he's a tough ole wabbit hunter...

May need to park that .460 and move up to a .22 LR... blush

DF

Yeah, for sure.

Great news.

May need to park that .460 and move up to a .22 LR .17 HMR... blush

DF

Fixed. Try to stay with the times.
Originally Posted by Fireball2

Yeah, for sure.

Great news.

May need to park that .460 and move up to a .22 LR .17 HMR... blush

DF

Fixed. Try to stay with the times.

Well, I’ll have to agree with that.

I have one and it’s a tack driver. Annie 1717.

It would whack wabbits and not beat him up like the 460.

Good fix.

DF
Good to hear the encouraging words tonight. More best wishes sent.
I'm very glad to hear that Ken might be going home soon. Judy, Ken is lucky to have you. You all are in my thoughts. Here's for a speedy recovery.

- Kevin
Tuesday morning update on Ken.

Where to start. Mornings are when he is his normal joking self. Afternoons are very hard as he is a. Sleeping, b. Has a headache, c. Most of the seizure happen, d. Incoherent.

Hospitalist says he can go home if he has no seizures for 24 hours. We are at that mark. He slept 16/24 hours yesterday.

Neurologist has not been in since Friday. Yes 3 days ago. His eegs have not been read from last week and again yesterday. I blew my temper at the nurse who called him. At 10pm last night he called the nurse back saying he was sick and would be in today to read them. I’m livid! Ken is not going home till they get read.

The echo they did on Friday has also not been read from the cardiologist. Have not seen the cardiologist either.

I asked the internist for a letter for my work for fmla paperwork, going on 2 days. I asked for a letter stating specifically what Ken can and can’t do.

They have pushed me to where I am now fighting back. I’ll be damned if they discharge him like this. The battle of wills has begun.
Holy moly.

Glad he has a tough advocate!
you go girl! the quality of so called medical CARE is terrible.
don't let them send him home to soon.
i had a mri that wasn't reviewed for 3 months!.
prayers for Ken and you
Good luck in your efforts.
Done....
The best for you both! Keep fighting.
So kind of you to take the time, and trouble to keep us strangers informed. Thank you!

Encouraging news that they are considering letting him go home.

More prayers on the way.
Judy, prayers have been flowing heavily for his return to normal....

sounds like the Good Lord heard us....

They won't end tho for either you or Ken...

cheers and best regards to you both.
You are doing a great job, Judy!

Nobody can be in the hospital without someone there to fight the good fight with the doctors and hospitals for them.

Don't let up on them!

Prayers continued for all of you!
Just my opinion but, If you havent filed FMLA yet, do so. Dont wait on the docs for a letter. Insurance is usually flexible in getting documents for a week or so. If your insurance gives you schit, call your states Dept of Labor, Wage Hour Division. You have too much other schit to worry about, you dont need work giving you crap. But yes, keep on the docs for the letter, they can be a royal pain in the ass.

Just in case you might roll FMLA from long term to intermittent, you might want to give Dept of Labor a call for advice anyhow. Best to stay well informed. Good luck!
Mrs Judy this is just a thought but get a note book and take lots of notes,every time a nurse or dr comes in,what they say to what meds they give him. I kept one for 20 months while my wife fought a loosing battle with cancer but I can tell ya every thing that was done,who done it and who said what.They catch on quick and will soon tell ya when they come in the room what they are going to do. Still praying for yall for the best of out comes.
Posted By: Owl Re: Prayer needed for elkhunternm - 09/18/18

They have pushed me to where I am now fighting back. I’ll be damned if they discharge him like this. The battle of wills has begun.

Judy, I know of a VERY GOOD medical malpractice attorney in Phoenix. Let them know that if you don't see action or results quickly that you're
going to contact an attorney. You'll see results QUICKLY as hospitals hate getting an attorney involved.

Don't know what the world is coming too, It's a sad day when the only way you can be treated with respect and dignity is to have to threaten
people with legal action.

PM me if you want a name and number.
Tuesday morning update on Ken.

I feel bad for you Judy, last thing you should have to do is this but I've been there too.

When my mother was sick and in an out of the hospital My sister and I had to fight to get her the care she should have.

Just remember the Squeaky wheel get the grease.

Tell Ken the Transgender Elephant is rootin' for him.
Good idea, keeping a journal, date and time, etc.

And, let them see you writing everything down. Sometimes that gets their attention.

Sick doctor. That happens. He doesn't have a partner, backup...??

Get an appt. with the hosp administrator, let him/her know exactly what's going on and exactly how you feel about it.

Raise Hell, squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Let us know how it goes. Lots of expertise here on the Fire and not just about guns and hunting...

DF
Dr. Pram (hospitalist) came in. With no evidence of a blood clot they can’t say one way or the other if he had a stroke, we know he had seizures, but again they didn’t show on the eeg. So game plan is going home on blood thinners, anti seizure medication , no driving 6 months. PT got him up walking and there is a huge difference from before we came in to now on distance he can walk. Still waiting on neurology to show up “sometime this afternoon”.
Posted By: jimy Re: Prayer needed for elkhunternm - 09/18/18
Judy, most cell phones have a recorder built in them, when doctors come in to discuss Ken's prognosis with you, tell them that you are recording them so that you can be sure to follow their advice.

And of course you will have a record for your files to fill out at a later date.

Give Ken a big shout out from all his friends around the world. And thanks for the updates, it means a lot to so many.
Prayers sent for Ken and Judy, I hope you get the care issues worked out Judy!
Dr. Pram (hospitalist) came in. With no evidence of a blood clot they can’t say one way or the other if he had a stroke, we know he had seizures, but again they didn’t show on the eeg. So game plan is going home on blood thinners, anti seizure medication , no driving 6 months. PT got him up walking and there is a huge difference from before we came in to now on distance he can walk. Still waiting on neurology to show up “sometime this afternoon”.

That's good news.

But I don't trust those Dr's.

My FIL had a small stroke a couple months ago and like you mentioned with Ken being good and more of his old self in morning, and kinda fading in the evening was what was happening with him.

It was a PITA being here as well because both local hospitals didn't have a neurology dept. He had to go to Houston for a few days to get more of a prognosis.

It's complicated as all get out with that type of injury/affliction.
I don't know the guy but I'll offer this:

The family is going to have to upon the role of being a TOTAL advocate for his care, his meds and most of all chasing down doctors and wringing information out of them.

It would be most beneficial to actually open a one on one dialog with the neuro's nurse or resident or the P-A. To the point of text message communication if possible. This whole old school business of trying to get an appt 6 weeks down the road or go to the ER doesnt always fit.

I pushed for and got the ability to communicate in real time with the support staff of my specialists
Yep, get all the cell numbers you can before you leave.

DF
Prayers sent from Montana
Prayers on the way!

No evidence of stroke on MRI, EEG not showing a seisure pattern, it could be traumatic brain injury like you said earlier. TBI can do all of that, seisures, confusion, weakness, mood changes, etc. My guess, it probably wasn't a stroke to begin with.

Don't know which hospital you're in, but you may check and see if there are TBI treatment centers, facilities, specialists in NM. TBI is not a simple problem, it's multifaceted. They aren't all the same, one treatment protocol doesn't fit all, takes a multidiciplinary approach. And time. Lots of time.

Thanks for keeping us up to date.

DF
Neuro just left. Changing to oral seizure meds tomorrow morning. If he tolerates them we get to go home.
Restrictions:
Cars/trucks 1 year
Tractors/swathes 2 years
Shooting 1 year
Can't ever hunt alone again
Dirt roads are ok
If he has 1-2 partial meaning blank stares or 1 limb (arm or leg) then we don't bring him in. More than that we go to the ER.
If he has a grand mal (all 4 limbs shaking) then we bring him to the ER.
If he gets a cold/flu/ tired/ stressful situations he is at an increased possibility for a seizure.
During irrigation season he can't work both a day and night combined as it's too much stress on his body
If his blood sugars are either low or high it can cause seizures
Also if he says his heart is racing or his pulse shoots up quickly then he can have a seizure
Good news, Judy - I've been wondering all day, but been out of cell service.
Call if we can help in any way.
Rooting for you Ken!
Yep......good luck.
Yep, get better Ken. Rooten them doctors do their job. Don't give them any slack.
Please know we're rooting for you guys!
Posted By: Hook Re: Prayer needed for elkhunternm - 09/19/18
Following Ken's progress and praying for continued improvement!
He is discharged!!!!!!
He is discharged!!!!!!

Good to hear.
He is discharged!!!!!!

That is very good news. Thank God
Yahoo! Great news!
He is discharged!!!!!!

I'm sure he'll be well regulated and supervised... blush

You may want to get a nose twist like they use on horses... grin

I am looking out for his best interests... wink

DF
Great news,

I hope the hospital forwards the card I mailed grin

Thanks again for keeping us informed.

Geno
He is discharged!!!!!!

Good news, now all you gotta do is try to figure out how to make him listen.........2x4 maybe.
Judy,

I just noticed your earlier post about his restrictions

No hunting alone? I bet we could find some volunteers here to help out on that, especially for a "big hunt". It might impact his jackrabbit hunts some, but an elk or deer hunt, hopefully not so much.

Best wishes again,

Geno
He is discharged!!!!!!

smile

He is in better hands now.
Have not been on much the last few months.

Had an ulcer that i did not know about rupture and spent 14 days in the hospital.

Still trying to get over it and trying to figure out how the rebuilt parts work.

Ken i have had a few attacks and hope you come through with good marks.
I want to thank everyone for their well wishes and prayers. I have a tough road ahead. The doctor suggested that I go to Phoenix for either the Mayo clinic or Barrows to get a better idea of what is going on between my ears.

As far as the backhoe,it won! smile

The hard part for me is the no hunting or shooting for a year,good thing I did not draw a deer or cow elk tag this year. My son has a javelina tag and I will be his guide for it.

Mark and Joy,please accept my apologies for not talking to the both you. Judy told me that the both of you came to see me,but I was unconscious.

Again,thanks everyone for your well wishes and prayers.
Glad you are back!!
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Glad you are back!!
He is discharged!!!!!!

smile

He is in better hands now.

Yep! Yahoo!
Good news!!!

Glad you got sprung.

I don't know anything about Barrows, but our experience, overall, with Mayo in AZ has been incredibly favorable. The flights from ELP to PHX on Southwest are usually bargains and many of the motels/hotels near the clinics are mid-priced and have shuttles from airport to motel and from motel to and from Mayo - - no need to drive. We routinely found decent meals within walking distance of the motels.

Your family has been blessed. Good reasons abound.
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
I want to thank everyone for their well wishes and prayers. I have a tough road ahead. The doctor suggested that I go to Phoenix for either the Mayo clinic or Barrows to get a better idea of what is going on between my ears.

The hard part for me is the no hunting or shooting for a year,good thing I did not draw a deer or cow elk tag this year. My son has a javelina tag and I will be his guide for it.

Mark and Joy,please accept my apologies for not talking to the both you. Judy told me that the both of you came to see me,but I was unconscious.

Glad to see you back my friend, you had us a little worried............Don't go gettin' a big head I said a little.
Welcome back Ken.

Gonna be a tough row to hoe, but I think you'll do OK.

Card in the mail to your hospital room, I hope they forward it. If it gets returned here I'll send it on to you later.

Best wishes buddy,

Geno

Glad you are out of the hospital. It is my prayer that you have a quick and complete recovery.
Posted By: Owl Re: Prayer needed for elkhunternm - 09/19/18
Boy Ken,

Some guys will do just about anything for a little bit of attention.

Glad you're home. Remember, you have lot's of friends just a few hours away.

If anything is ever needed, all you need to do is ask. Especially right now.
Just an excuse to pick up a few bushels of green chili grin

Take care, and God's speed to all of you.

Jeff

Welcome back!

Get well, Elks.

Continued prayers for your recovery and family.

Keep a close eye on that sugar.
Posted By: EdM Re: Prayer needed for elkhunternm - 09/19/18
He is discharged!!!!!!

Great news.

Ken, I will second the suggestion re: Mayo Clinic. Visited their facility in Jacksonville several times in years past, they are straight up pros, second to none. Very damn glad you made it home and hope you will pay attention to Nurse Judy. Don't know that she would really use a taser on you, but a fella never knows! laugh

As far as no hunting or shooting, I get the first part, but really now, .22 rimfires are more like spittin' tabaccy, so get a second opinion on that. Note I said rimfires. Don't tell the nurse I said any of this, OK?

You do have a .22 RF doncha?
Wishing the best to ya Ken.
Ken, good to hear you're doing better.

to get a better idea of what is going on between my ears.

I'll leave that alone.....for now......
Originally Posted by DigitalDan

Ken, I will second the suggestion re: Mayo Clinic. Visited their facility in Jacksonville several times in years past, they are straight up pros, second to none. Very damn glad you made it home and hope you will pay attention to Nurse Judy. Don't know that she would really use a taser on you, but a fella never knows! laugh

As far as no hunting or shooting, I get the first part, but really now, .22 rimfires are more like spittin' tabaccy, so get a second opinion on that. Note I said rimfires. Don't tell the nurse I said any of this, OK?

Gotta be careful with the 2x4, etc. Don't want to damage the goods. Now, that nose twist I mentioned earlier. Judy may need one of those. They do work...

Good to see you out of the big house, headed for your house...

I had suggested a .22 LR. A poster corrected me, said the 17 HMR was the way to go. I had to agree.

Can't let dem wabbits get the upper hand...

You da man...

DF
Ken it's great to see you back on the "fire" and still praying for a full and speedy recovery take it easy!
Glad your back! Take things one day at a Time! Now Get Better!
Ken, it’s good to see you back.

I’m still gonna kick that backhoe’s ass.
Originally Posted by Border Doc

Glad you got sprung.

I don't know anything about Barrows, but our experience, overall, with Mayo in AZ has been incredibly favorable. The flights from ELP to PHX on Southwest are usually bargains and many of the motels/hotels near the clinics are mid-priced and have shuttles from airport to motel and from motel to and from Mayo - - no need to drive. We routinely found decent meals within walking distance of the motels.

Your family has been blessed. Good reasons abound.

We have family/friends that lives in the Phoenix area,so a place to stay should not be a problem.
Sure glad to see you., Ken.

If there's anything at all you need done, please let us know. Couple of us guys are chompin' at the bit for an excuse to get out of town for a few days.

Umm the only 22RF I have is a S&W M&P. Hows that for abbreviations. smile

I see my neurologist on Tuesday and that is one of the questions I have for him.
Originally Posted by kingston

Go ahead,me and you can brag about our injuries at parties. wink
Sure glad to see you., Ken.

If there's anything at all you need done, please let us know. Couple of us guys are chompin' at the bit for an excuse to get out of town for a few days.

wink

Gotta be careful with the 2x4, etc. Don't want to damage the goods. Now, that nose twist I mentioned earlier. Judy may need one of those. They do work...

Good to see you out of the big house, headed for your house...

I had suggested a .22 LR. A poster corrected me, said the 17 HMR was the way to go. I had to agree.

Can't let dem wabbits get the upper hand...

You da man...

DF

I gots to give wabbits time to breed more. smile
Good to see you posting, elk. One of these days I may look you up when I visit El Paso again.

LMAO!
Posted By: EdM Re: Prayer needed for elkhunternm - 09/19/18

I see my neurologist on Tuesday and that is one of the questions I have for him.

Ken,

I'll send you a 10-22 I have that just sits in the safe, a stainless mannlicher. When you are back to blasting the centerfires send it back or bring it to Tonto for return. Let me know.

Ken, think about how many Wabbits you're going to have at it with in 2019!!!!!!! You'd better get to loadin'!
Welcome Back Ken!!

I toldja’ and toldja’ hunting rabbits with that 460 would hurt you bad... I have a 17HMR you can use until you sell that monster and get your own.

Take care!
Glad to hear you're back in familiar territory. You had a lot of people worried. Take care of yourself and keep us posted.
Originally Posted by 12344mag

Ken, think about how many Wabbits you're going to have at it with in 2019!!!!!!! You'd better get to loadin'!

I told Judy that since I am allowed not to shoot,it gives me the money to buy bullets,powder and any other bare necessity.

To hell with that!

Just shoot 'em with something a bit less penetrative. laugh

Like a 22lr.
Originally Posted by EdM

Ken,

I'll send you a 10-22 I have that just sits in the safe, a stainless mannlicher. When you are back to blasting the centerfires send it back or bring it to Tonto for return. Let me know.

Thanks EdM,I have a .17 HMR that'll fill the bill just fine. smile
Originally Posted by RiverRider
Good to see you posting, elk. One of these days I may look you up when I visit El Paso again.

Let me know when you do. You and I can avoid the ruthless backhoe.
Will do OutlawPatriot.
Originally Posted by 12344mag

I told Judy that since I am allowed not to shoot,it gives me the money to buy bullets,powder and any other bare necessity.

Ken,

maybe you need to take up the stick bow thing? grin

I could send you my 45lb draw one.

Geno
Ken, so glad to see you back at it!!!!

Best of luck in your recovery.
Originally Posted by RiverRider

Let me know when you do. You and I can avoid the ruthless backhoe.

Backhoes are never associated with recreation in my experience, and only seem to be involved where there's work. You are in no danger of being influenced to get involved with a backhoe, at least by me. Not even a garden hoe, so rest easy!
smile

Good to see you are out and on the way home. The only ones that will be happy over the next year are the jacks. Godspeed on your speedy recovery!

Y'all would probably sound like a pen full of steers, talking on and on about their surgery... shocked

DF

If he has a seizure while holding any firearm, then he can shoot himself or whoever is driving him.

Y'all would probably sound like a pen full of steers, talking on and on about their surgery... shocked

DF

Hahahaha.
Welcome back to the fire Ken....good to see lots of positive progress! May you continue to rapidly improve toward 100%! memtb

If he has a seizure while holding any firearm, then he can shoot himself or whoever is driving him.

Well, DD. Looks like she heard and you're busted... shocked

DF
Ken, let me know if me and DocRocket need to come out and thin the quail population.

Answer: Pellet gun?
smile
A real pleasure to see you posting again!

Hope the Dr.s can help getting things resolved!

Ken, it was pretty clear "the lights were on - but nobody was home"
Ellie, and your family, were taking good care of you, though! smile
Ever so glad to hear from you Ken! Get healthy, and then stop goldbrickin'! laugh
Yep, I been busted. Oh well. OK, ferget about the .22. Dang it.

Is whiskey allowed?
Is whiskey allowed?

Probably not for him...

But....

DF
Better make Judy's phone number a sticky in case Ken starts posting like Gus we can let her know to get him to the hospital! grin
Great to hear that your home. Take it easy and do all you can to recover fully. I wish you a speedy recovery.

Also, I wouldn't want any of your firearms to get lonely in the safe, so if you need me to exercise them, let me know and I'll swing by your place grin.
One of these?

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Ken, let me know if me and DocRocket need to come out and thin the quail population.

I will! I was looking forward to hunting quail this year too!
Originally Posted by mark shubert

Ken, it was pretty clear "the lights were on - but nobody was home"
Ellie, and your family, were taking good care of you, though! smile

Still,I would have enjoyed shooting the bull with you and Joy for a bit.

DF

Yeah well,my injuries are bigger than his!
Originally Posted by High_Noon
Great to hear that your home. Take it easy and do all you can to recover fully. I wish you a speedy recovery.

Also, I wouldn't want any of your firearms to get lonely in the safe, so if you need me to exercise them, let me know and I'll swing by your place grin.

Hmmm.....I am having a rifle re-barreled and I just might take you up on that.
Good to see you have rejoined us reprobates. As far as not being able to shoot for awhile, just pretend you have joined the Peace Corps for a one year hitch.
wink laugh
I don't want to be an enabler but a Crossbow ?????????
How can I say this... I am not interested in flinging sticks. Thanks for the suggestions though. smile
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
One of these?

[Linked Image]

Dem wabbits be laughing...

DF
Good to see that your home. best wishes from NH!
I was gone on vacation when you got ill Bro, but have "caught up" on my prayers for you and your family! Read Ezekiel 16:6 over yourself, in faith, and trust in the Lord. I am bolted together in a few places, been put on "Restrictions" like yours several times before, and I lived over it, ha! Its best to just follow instructions and keep your spouse secure and assured/comforted that you "will obey". Its super hard on our wives, as you know, and she needs that from you. I know I'm "preaching to the choir"....when you get stronger, your meds worked out, you can get signed off on handloading. That's what I did and still do at times...all the best pard. Rev Jim Knight
© 24hourcampfire