Home
I had to buy 3 of the new style gas cans that don't have the vent hole. What conversion kit do you guys use? I saw EZ Pour 10050 Replacement Spout Kit on Amazon. Is that what I need? Thanks
Save your money

Just gut the springs and flappy thing out of the existing spout

I took a needle nose set of pliers and went to work on them

Funnel
10-4
No vent hole, but I REALLY like these for the money. They are well made and the funnel can be used attached for lawn mower and other power tools. You must remove it to pour gas into a vehicle. But they work very well. Lowes building supply is the only place I've found them locally. I bought the 1st one there and liked it well enough to order 2 more from Amazon. Picked up another for $10 at an estate sale.

https://www.amazon.com/Eagle-UI-50-...92&sr=8-2&keywords=eagle+gas+can

There is no funky safety device, just a spring loaded cap that is easily held open by the handle when in use.
I drilled some out and made a vent hole...bought some little thingmajiggers that pop in and have a cap. Some cans they work great, but others they cause too much flow through the nonsense and don't very well. The NO SPILL gas cans work good, but they're not giving those away. Trump should mandate all gas cans go back to the simple variety and I'm sure he'd even swing some libtards over. Go the extra mile and get rid of all ethanol gas while he's at it. The masses would cheer.

You can ad your own vents with things like these, but like I said, has mixed results depending on the can.

https://www.amazon.com/Yellow-Blitz...p;sr=8-20&keywords=gas+can+vent+caps

I gut them[as above], then drill/tap a small hole on upper at back and use a drywall screw there.
I use tire valve stems and caps for vents
Try these, available on this site or others. I bought a set of 4 20 L (5 gal) , and also 2 10L (2.5 gal) , and 2 5L (1 gal) ones along with spouts and gaskets and couldn't be happier. Likely I'll never have to buy another gas can.............especially cheap s**t plastic ones.

https://deutscheoptik.com/5-liter-jerry-can.html

Good luck,

Geno
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
I had to buy 3 of the new style gas cans that don't have the vent hole. What conversion kit do you guys use? I saw EZ Pour 10050 Replacement Spout Kit on Amazon. Is that what I need? Thanks

Cut off and toss all the government crap and buy these....https://www.ruralking.com/ez-pour-h...o_eHC3QIVizRpCh0xzw_nEAQYAiABEgIAWvD_BwE

They make replacement spout kits for most all plastic and metal cans. I buy the old pyramid cans at estate sales cheap and replace the broken or missing spouts and vent caps. You can't buy the old style pyramid cans because of some government busybodies, so I do the next best thing. Make sure you use a high quality wood paddle bit to cut the push-in vent hole in the thick part behind the top handle. Spiral bits don't cut as perfect hole, so it can leak..
I just pour gasoline all over myself with those safety things. I was looking for some way to sabotage the mess. I also found out they will not pour into a car, despite their claims. I did find a good gas can at a estate sale, complete with some old gasoline, so bought it, the spouts seem the same.

I was really disappointed with Trump when he supported E15. I do not have anything that will run on it,
Originally Posted by reivertom

Cut off and toss all the government crap and buy these....https://www.ruralking.com/ez-pour-h...o_eHC3QIVizRpCh0xzw_nEAQYAiABEgIAWvD_BwE

They make replacement spout kits for most all plastic and metal cans. I buy the old pyramid cans at estate sales cheap and replace the broken or missing spouts and vent caps. You can't buy the old style pyramid cans because of some government busybodies, so I do the next best thing. Make sure you use a high quality wood paddle bit to cut the push-in vent hole in the thick part behind the top handle. Spiral bits don't cut as perfect hole, so it can leak..

This is what I use and they work great. One issue though, it pours fast. You do have to get used to it. Other than that they are great.
The new spill proof cans spill a lot more gas than the old ones did. What a sick joke they are.
Use a valve stem with the valve removed for the vent.
When you buy new cans these are the cats azz.

Best gas can
Filler hose
Originally Posted by blanket
I use tire valve stems and caps for vents

Gas eats them pretty quick. The above post gas can vents are actually cheaper and purpose built. I found a couple of the old style spouts on a dusty shelf in a local Ace hardware.
Originally Posted by ro1459

This is what I use and they work great. One issue though, it pours fast. You do have to get used to it. Other than that they are great.

This is what I also use for a couple of my newer cans. I mainly use VP racing fuel jugs, you can get 6 gallons in them.
In my best James Bond voice. "Gas is siphoned, not poured." I bought a couple of these little siphon shaker hoses and will never try to pour gas again. Place gas can above your entry point, shake until you see gas coming out. Then you can walk away. On some vehicles with a hinge flap in the gas tank I slipped on about a 1 foot piece of flex conduit over the plastic hose part. It keeps the spring flap from trapping your hose.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Shaker-Siphon/16915713
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Try these, available on this site or others. I bought a set of 4 20 L (5 gal) , and also 2 10L (2.5 gal) , and 2 5L (1 gal) ones along with spouts and gaskets and couldn't be happier. Likely I'll never have to buy another gas can.............especially cheap s**t plastic ones.

Good luck,

Geno

I had some of the surplus cans. They were great. These look like they should do as well.

If you want a slower pour like for a weed eater, just get one of their regular spout kits. Their website has an application chart for the plastic and metal cans going back years. I love them and feel like I'm flipping the "bird" at the Nanny State every time I make a good can out of one of their crappy ones. I needed a few extra cans for my generator as well as lawn equipment. That's why I hit the estate sales and started buying the older pyramid style cans the idiots in DC forced the industry to stop making. These kits make it all possible.
VP Racing - 5 Gallon can:

https://www.amazon.com/VP-Racing-Fuels-3512-Motorsport/dp/B003TTV972
I won't buy the newer plastic gas cans, but keep an eye on Craiglist and Ebay and you'll find several old Eagle gas cans, many in near new condition. You can even get replacement parts for them online. I've bought at least 6 over the past 3 years.

[Linked Image]
I have a cheap plastic one with the crap spout. I simply punched a hole behind the handle for a vent. I stick a golf tee in the hole between uses.
Beats the heck out of the plastic cans.

[Linked Image]
I still have a dozen or so of the old Rubbermaid cans...best can ever ! ...I use to have more but 20yo gas cans is a good run imo...I worked in retail and heard they were going g to stop making them ,cause of California passed a law....so I grabbed them up !
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
I have a cheap plastic one with the crap spout. I simply punched a hole behind the handle for a vent. I stick a golf tee in the hole between uses.

Rocky, didn't you still have to remove the spout innards or did you replace the spout?
Metal cans don't work so well around salt water, so I use plastic.

They are great when you know you will empty all the contents. I got this spout at Tractor Supply on a trip down to America.
I didn't do anything but make a vent. The spout now doesn't "wait" for a reverse airflow and just acts like a spout.
Jonsered pro series, 55+ cc, oregon or carslile chain, full chisel, Husqvarna sharpener kit.

I know you didn't ask any of that, but I wanted to one up everyone that tellin you what gas can to buy when you clearly stated that you have 3 new cans and just want good spouts.

EZ pour for me. White spout for small fuel tanks like chainsaws etc, black spout for bigger tanks like riding lawn mower, UTV/ATV etc.
What does this have to do with the price of rice in China? BAHAHAHA.

I bought a EZ pour kit. If I like it I will get 2 more. Thanks.
What does this have to do with the price of rice in China? BAHAHAHA.

I bought a EZ pour kit. If I like it I will get 2 more. Thanks.

Right on.

I have several, like I said, I like the white spout for the fills that need to be more careful because it's a slower fill spout. The black spout I like for the tractor, riding mower etc. stuff where I know I can tip and empty a 5 gallon can without overfilling. Fast spout.
There's an entire cottage industry built around the lawyer designed gas cans. Sad commentary on the state of our country today. Democrats would call all this "industry" progress.
I use these... : https://www.amazon.com/JSP-Manufact...85&sr=8-3&keywords=gas+can+vents

Only takes about 5 mns to install in 3-5 plastic cans...
With those EZ Pour kits, is there a way to store the nozzle inside the can so that it doesn't stick out in the way all the time?
Originally Posted by northern_dave
Jonsered pro series, 55+ cc, oregon or carslile chain, full chisel, Husqvarna sharpener kit.

I know you didn't ask any of that, but I wanted to one up everyone that tellin you what gas can to buy when you clearly stated that you have 3 new cans and just want good spouts.

EZ pour for me. White spout for small fuel tanks like chainsaws etc, black spout for bigger tanks like riding lawn mower, UTV/ATV etc.

Dave,

I stand corrected (for the first time in a long while grin ) While I may have overlooked the OP statement about having purchased the cans with the crappy spouts my intentions were good. I should have suggested he gift them to a neighbor he wasn't fond of before I suggest he look at the link I posted for real gas cans, that actually pour when one wants them too. And after gifting, to purchase some good cans.

The spouts on the ones I posted pour quickly, sometimes too quickly, therefor my reasoning to purchase the smaller 5L cans. I use that one for fuel mix for the weedeater. It's a lot easier to control the pour of a gallon size than pouring out of the 5 gal size.

The EZ pour spouts I bought a few years back worked.........................for about a season and a half before the plastic started cracking and I had to buy new ones. I get tired of that crap, so I got metal, cans and spouts.

Those round Eagle safety cans are nice also, but they don't store as closely packed as rectangular ones. I used them frequently at work for years and they do hold up.

Regarding salt water.........yes, corrosive to metal cans, but the metal safety cans are used on some commercial vessels I've been on, kept dry and rinsed when exposed to the salt.

Thanks for the correction Dave.............................I need it every once in while. smile

Geno

PS, Are you interested in a 55 Powell pickup? I'll have pics up in another thread soon. wink
I bought a couple of these and have used them quite a bit to haul mower gas home. They work very well.

https://www.carrollstream.com/Gas-C...googlebase&utm_medium=shoppingengine
Originally Posted by northern_dave

Dave,

I stand corrected (for the first time in a long while grin ) While I may have overlooked the OP statement about having purchased the cans with the crappy spouts my intentions were good. I should have suggested he gift them to a neighbor he wasn't fond of before I suggest he look at the link I posted for real gas cans, that actually pour when one wants them too. And after gifting, to purchase some good cans.

The spouts on the ones I posted pour quickly, sometimes too quickly, therefor my reasoning to purchase the smaller 5L cans. I use that one for fuel mix for the weedeater. It's a lot easier to control the pour of a gallon size than pouring out of the 5 gal size.

The EZ pour spouts I bought a few years back worked.........................for about a season and a half before the plastic started cracking and I had to buy new ones. I get tired of that crap, so I got metal, cans and spouts.

Those round Eagle safety cans are nice also, but they don't store as closely packed as rectangular ones. I used them frequently at work for years and they do hold up.

Regarding salt water.........yes, corrosive to metal cans, but the metal safety cans are used on some commercial vessels I've been on, kept dry and rinsed when exposed to the salt.

Thanks for the correction Dave.............................I need it every once in while. smile

Geno

PS, Are you interested in a 55 Powell pickup? I'll have pics up in another thread soon. wink

How much for the truck?

smile

I bought replacement parts from Amazon. Vent caps (20 for $10) and drilled 31/64" holes and replacement spouts (3 for $11). I like how they work now.

Good luck,

Geno

Those are nice Geno.

PS.....In case you forgot I have a birthday coming up in Dec..
A couple of 20's would cover my birthday and Christmas.

Just a suggestion mind you. smile
Originally Posted by FieldGrade

Good luck,

Geno

Those are nice Geno.

Not sure about Christmas/birthday, but I had something else in mind to send you when I order some. Something I believe you mentioned once in another thread/forum.

Geno
Originally Posted by Fireball2
There's an entire cottage industry built around the lawyer designed gas cans. Sad commentary on the state of our country today. Democrats would call all this "industry" progress.

That's Obama's idea of job creation. That and opening more Welfare offices.

Good luck,

Geno

Those are nice Geno.

Not sure about Christmas/birthday, but I had something else in mind to send you when I order some. Something I believe you mentioned once in another thread/forum.

Geno

I was just funning you Geno......your friendship is all i really want.
For venting, I just drill a 1/4" hole in the appropriate place and thread a 1/4" x 1" lag bolt into it. The hex head of the lag bolt is large enough to turn in, or turn out, as needed to moderate the flow of fuel. Have one old poly fuel can that I use for diesel that was purchased 26 years ago when I bought this farm. Still going strong. Wish I had purchased a truck load of them.

Good luck,

Geno

Those are nice Geno.

Note the caveat at the bottom: "All of our cans are stamped with: “Not for Fuel Use”."
Originally Posted by Bristoe
I bought a couple of these and have used them quite a bit to haul mower gas home. They work very well.

https://www.carrollstream.com/Gas-C...googlebase&utm_medium=shoppingengine

I don't know why you guys even bother to try to use those spring loaded spout gas cans? I bought one and threw it in the junk when I found the new push button cans that Bristoe pictured. I haven't spilled a drop of gas since I started using these, I do cut the cap securing toothed strip off though.
Originally Posted by Triggernosis
With those EZ Pour kits, is there a way to store the nozzle inside the can so that it doesn't stick out in the way all the time?

No, they just supply a cap for the nozzle and it has to stay extended.

Damn.
Thanks.
There are states that you can't buy the conversions. VA is one of them. I have to drive into WVA to get them. Plus I think mail order is restricted too.

I got one and the nozzle does fit inside the can and I use the original cap/seal to block it off.
© 24hourcampfire