Home
Just got back from my eastern Oregon buck hunt and wanted to report on the Sierra Gamechanger bullet I had the opportunity to use and recover. My stats are as follows:

6.5 Creedmoor
2810 MV
2250+/- impact velocity at 350yds
Bullet went in right behind left hand shoulder and was in the hide on the off side. Bullet slipped in between two ribs on the way in and hit rib on the off side. I’m very happy with how it performed. Pretty extensive lung damage was done but no major explosion inside.
Lots of questions around here on how they’d perform so I thought I’d share.
Pictures to look at

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/gallery/80/full/81361.jpeg
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/gallery/80/full/81360.jpeg
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/gallery/80/full/81359.jpeg

Looks like great performance, thanks for sharing.
Picture perfect performance.
Looks text book! Thanks.
What was the starting weight?
Originally Posted by Tyrone

😄
Try this link

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...anger-performance-on-deer-results#UNREAD

Check the title.
I'm sure it's a good deer cartridge and thanks for posting.

But the .270 Winchester has been doing that with 130 grain bullets for the last 92 years.

I think we've reached the point of diminishing returns, at least as far as advancements in cartridges are concerned.
No wound canal pics from the carcass hanging in the oak tree after you skinned it out?

bummer
Originally Posted by slumlord

😄
Try this link

LMAO.

To the OP,

Looks like a fine bullet.
Originally Posted by IndyCA35

But the .270 Winchester has been doing that with 130 grain bullets for the last 92 years.

I think we've reached the point of diminishing returns, at least as far as advancements in cartridges are concerned.

You realize people said the same thing about the .270, right?

Compelling. I bet either would work fine in Indiana, oops.

I got on the 6.5 CM bandwagon last year, and killed a deer with mine. I'll probably hunt with it again this year also. Did it perform any better than any other cartridge I've ever used..........nope. Did the deer die any different than any other deer I've ever killed..........nope, didn't do that either.

I like the 6.5, but if I had to go on a serious deer hunt, and kill a deer or else, I'd take my 40 year old Remington 700 Classic in 270, and some 130 grain Sierra's loaded with H4831.

😄
Try this link

Uh...Uh... uhmm... I meant the starting weight for the powder charge!!! blush

laugh LOL! Thanks!
I might try it, seems the a good all around bullet for the CM. The factory 147 ELDM out of the Montana kicks a bit much for my wife.
Originally Posted by Calvin
I might try it, seems the a good all around bullet for the CM. The factory 147 ELDM out of the Montana kicks a bit much for my wife.

I like a lightweight rifle, but I do not like recoil. I have been shooting the 120 grain bullets in the CM, and do not notice the recoil in the slightest.
Originally Posted by JamesJr

I like a lightweight rifle, but I do not like recoil. I have been shooting the 120 grain bullets in the CM, and do not notice the recoil in the slightest.

Horn stepped on the gas pretty good to get those 147s to go almost 2700. You feel it in the Montana platform...(grin)

The worst kicking rifle I have had, was a Rem Ti 7-08 shooting factory 150s. It jabbed you it seemed.

I got on the 6.5 CM bandwagon last year, and killed a deer with mine. I'll probably hunt with it again this year also. Did it perform any better than any other cartridge I've ever used..........nope. Did the deer die any different than any other deer I've ever killed..........nope, didn't do that either.

I like the 6.5, but if I had to go on a serious deer hunt, and kill a deer or else, I'd take my 40 year old Remington 700 Classic in 270, and some 130 grain Sierra's loaded with H4831.

I concur...

Horn stepped on the gas pretty good to get those 147s to go almost 2700. You feel it in the Montana platform...(grin)

The worst kicking rifle I have had, was a Rem Ti 7-08 shooting factory 150s. It jabbed you it seemed.

I had a 700 Mountain Rifle in 7-08, and you felt the recoil pretty darn good with a 140 grain bullet loaded to the max.
Tyrone

Load data as follows:

Hornady brass
42.6gr H4350
CCI 200
2.875 OAL

Nothing special obviously. This was basically one of the loads of the first series I worked up and this load shot less than .400 in both my Vanguard and my M77 Predator.
Originally Posted by Bull64

I concur...

Genius...

You seem pretty rifle savvy so I wonder why you'd try a 6.5 or 7 anything for somebody that doesn't like recoil.
Slumlord.....I wanted to get some wound channel pictures but the yellow jackets were so bad this year that I didn’t mess around once it was on the ground. I got one picture in the field then got down to business. We had to go to town after we set up camp the day before season to buy bee traps. We hung five bee traps that filled up on the second day. It made eating miserable, especially for our little ones. The good news is there was still a bit of meat on the bones when we got home.

Funny, that the guy who mentions “diminishing returns”... is the same guy that’s shooting an extra 15 grains of powder for the same performance with a 130. Or is the irony lost only on me?
I could dig these bullets at 2600-2900 FPS kind of launch speeds.

I’m hoping the 90 grain GameChangers I have loaded up for the .243 perform like that on antelope next week.

There’s a ton of repetition in my safes. Each has its own place in my world. I could shoot sage rats to moose with the old 06 but where’s the fun in that?
Looks to be a decent candidate for low to moderate impact velocities. Be interested to see performance in the 2800ish range.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Except for the part where the .270 slings a 130gr bullet at 3200, and leaves an exit.
It mushroomed well
But where along its path
It resulted in a dead buck anyways
Congrats!!
But was it initial expansion and then more thru the chest
Reason why I wonder is ya said it
Slipped in between 2 ribs
Smacked one on the off side and lodged under the hide.
Do ya think most of the expansion might have been on that off side rib.

I would want an exit wound myself.

JMO
and not trying ta bust ya chops about the round.

😄
Try this link

I done clicked on it!
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

Except for the part where the .270 slings a 130gr bullet at 3200, and leaves an exit.

Or put Weatherby behind its caliber and push 130 gr tts at 3450.
Originally Posted by renegade50
It mushroomed well
But where along its path
It resulted in a dead buck anyways
Congrats!!
But was it initial expansion and then more thru the chest
Reason why I wonder is ya said it
Slipped in between 2 ribs
Smacked one on the off side and lodged under the hide.
Do ya think most of the expansion might have been on that off side rib.

I would want an exit wound myself.

JMO
and not trying ta bust ya chops about the round.

I would say it did most of it on initial hit based on what I saw in the chest cavity. Definitely hard to say though. As I said I was very happy with the results as it died quickly. A short sprint to the creek bottom of about 20 yards was all he had left. I will say I’m not sure how well they would hold up at higher velocities hitting more substance. Most of my hunting affords me the opportunity to wait for a perfect shot so I thought I’d give these a whirl.

There is a noticible difference between even the Nosler accubond 140gr and the Horn 143gr ELD-X
Hopefully the heavier 7mm will come out soon, with a a good BC.
Horn really stepped on the gas. Wife will be just fine with 130s.
Picking up my new rifle this weekend. Smith is convinced these will be a good bullet and wants me to give em a try. Will find a sweet spot between 3200-3300 FPS...no need to push it. I'll try to shoot a Whitetail at somewhere's between 25-60 yds this November and report back on how they do at speed.
Glad to see another thread about the 25/06. Here's mine.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by LowerRiver
Tyrone

Load data as follows:

Hornady brass
42.6gr H4350
CCI 200
2.875 OAL

Nothing special obviously. This was basically one of the loads of the first series I worked up and this load shot less than .400 in both my Vanguard and my M77 Predator.

Yeah, nothing special. Except good barrels, good bullets and good brass. Wow! I'll take it!

😄
Try this link

laugh LOL! Thanks!

No you didn't.

Nobody asks what the starting weight was when asking what the load was.

Mistakes are made, overlooking information can happen, but by scrambling for a lame comeback, you made yourself look like a moron. Next time take your lumps. We all make mistakes once in a while.
Slumlord.....I wanted to get some wound channel pictures but the yellow jackets were so bad this year that I didn’t mess around once it was on the ground. I got one picture in the field then got down to business. We had to go to town after we set up camp the day before season to buy bee traps. We hung five bee traps that filled up on the second day. It made eating miserable, especially for our little ones. The good news is there was still a bit of meat on the bones when we got home.

Understand
Originally Posted by AB2506

laugh LOL! Thanks!
No you didn't.

Mistakes are made, overlooking information can happen, but by scrambling for a lame comeback, you made yourself look like a moron. Next time take your lumps. We all make mistakes once in a while.
Really? You caught that? Darn! Foiled again!!!!!! laugh
Seems like 4350 is the go-to powder for the 6.5CM.
Do they run very well on 4895?
Seems like 4350 is the go-to powder for the 6.5CM.
Do they run very well on 4895?

For which bullet weight? laugh

Be specific now.

😩

It looks like if a bull elk were broadside and hit between the ribs at the area of the lungs it would probably end up killing it- sometime.

Small hole in, no hole out. Hummm.

Through a shoulder it might get one lung. Hummm.

Raking shot forward. Hummm.

Thiss^^^, i like.
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Glad to see another thread about the 25/06. Here's mine.

[Linked Image]

Beautiful.

😄
Try this link

laugh LOL! Thanks!

No you didn't.

The word STARTING was kinda a key indicator as to what Tyrone was looking for. I fully understood he was looking for starting charge weight! Just because your slow on the uptake and a bit overboard with false presumption doesn't somehow turn your false claim into reality.

We all have to learn or be humbled at times and this is your opportunity to grow

Trystan

And the 6.5 swede had killed thousands of moose years before the 270 was introduced as a "Deer" cartridge! 😁

Trystan
Oh, AB2506 is cool. I really was having a senior moment & tried to be funny about it. I guess he missed the smilies.

Anyway, thanks for the load info. That IS interesting.

Those Yellow jackets are a royal PIA around dead critters this time of year. I can't wait for a hard cold snap to send them all back to hell.

Thanks for the post.
I'm going to roll with 129gr Hornady this year in the Creedmoor. A 100 yard shot is a long one for me where I hunt.

I'm still curious what some of these bullets (130gr Game Changer, 147gr ELD-M etc) will when taken out the running gear at 50yards.

Originally Posted by Steelhead
I'm going to roll with 129gr Hornady this year in the Creedmoor. A 100 yard shot is a long one for me where I hunt.

I'm still curious what some of these bullets (130gr Game Changer, 147gr ELD-M etc) will when taken out the running gear at 50yards.

My guess is they would be an ugly mess. Nearly 80% weight retention in this case but that was at 2250fps and 350 yards. I definitely would shy away from intentionally hitting anything of substance at any distance with this bullet.
Originally Posted by Trystan

😄
Try this link

laugh LOL! Thanks!

No you didn't.

The word STARTING was kinda a key indicator as to what Tyrone was looking for. I fully understood he was looking for starting charge weight! Just because your slow on the uptake and a bit overboard with false presumption doesn't somehow turn your false claim into reality.

We all have to learn or be humbled at times and this is your opportunity to grow

Trystan

This thread is about a new bullet. The weight was posted in the title. When someone asks about the starting weight, they obviously missed the weight. Tyrone has shown a lot of grace.

No one asks about the starting weight and means the powder load when the conversation was not about the powder.
Originally Posted by curdog4570

The performance of the 270, 270 Weatherby or even the 270WSM is not in question. All are outstanding cartridges.

The 6.5 Creedmoor can be placed in a shorter lighter rifle, everything else being equal, yet get similar performance inside 500 yards (strictly comparing 270Win and the Creed). Less recoil allows more shooting before a person tires and shooting is affected. Seems that factory ammo and reloads that shoot well are easy to find. Case design and the slipperiness of the 6.5 bullets allow this to happen, in fact, after 500, the 6.5 begins to pass the 270Win. Means nothing to me, 500 is probably 100 more than most should shoot, especially guys like me who use a standard duplex and no dial ups. Give me a laser rangefinder and my standard sight in, I'll have my chart memorized. Easy peasy. Wind drift is the hard to predict factor.

Couple of years ago, I sold a couple of rifles and had some cash in hand. I considered a 6.5 Creedmoor, 25-06, 7-08,308. As I have a 300WSM, that lessened the need for a 308. Ran my charts, graphs. Even though the Creed is slow, it catches the 25-06 beyond 400 yards. I chose the Creed.

I'll try the Barnes 127LRX for my do everything big game load. I have a lot of RL17, I'll give it a try. It looks promising.

I'll try the Barnes 127LRX for my do everything big game load. I have a lot of RL17, I'll give it a try. It looks promising.

Hopefully you have better luck with the 127LRX and RL17 than I did. I actually burned through a box of those and lots of RL 17 trying to get a good hunting load and finally gave up. Now that my deer season is over I plan to start over with the 127LRX but this time try H4350. I’ve never had an issue getting a Barnes to shoot but I can’t for the life of me get either of my Creedmoors to like the LRX.
What twist do you have? Mine is 1-8.
What twist do you have? Mine is 1-8.

Both of mine are 8 twist. Weatherby weatherguard and a Ruger 77 Predator.
Originally Posted by curdog4570

The performance of the 270, 270 Weatherby or even the 270WSM is not in question. All are outstanding cartridges.

The 6.5 Creedmoor can be placed in a shorter lighter rifle, everything else being equal, yet get similar performance inside 500 yards (strictly comparing 270Win and the Creed). Less recoil allows more shooting before a person tires and shooting is affected. Seems that factory ammo and reloads that shoot well are easy to find. Case design and the slipperiness of the 6.5 bullets allow this to happen, in fact, after 500, the 6.5 begins to pass the 270Win. Means nothing to me, 500 is probably 100 more than most should shoot, especially guys like me who use a standard duplex and no dial ups. Give me a laser rangefinder and my standard sight in, I'll have my chart memorized. Easy peasy. Wind drift is the hard to predict factor.

Couple of years ago, I sold a couple of rifles and had some cash in hand. I considered a 6.5 Creedmoor, 25-06, 7-08,308. As I have a 300WSM, that lessened the need for a 308. Ran my charts, graphs. Even though the Creed is slow, it catches the 25-06 beyond 400 yards. I chose the Creed.

I never had to shoot an elk or moose more than once with my 270 Wby so i didnt get tired of shooting them. wink
Jag tx,
The .270 Weatherby and its younger sibling the 7mm Weatherby are among the best all around North America big game cartridges out there. Not extremely popular because of the price of the rifles chambered in them and the cost and availability of ammo in most places, but those who hunt with them are usually more than satisfied with their performance. (Palm slaps forehead) Doh! I could have had a real Weatherby!

Apologies for off topic post. Happy Trails
© 24hourcampfire