Home
I've been trying for years to figure out a good way to carry a rifle in my tractor cab, without just laying it behind the seat. I know they sell gun racks that would work, but I'm a tightwad and didn't want to pay a $125 or more for the one's I've seen.

So, I bought a $12 set of racks at Academy Sports, welded a piece of one inch square tube in the form of an L, attached the racks, and bolted it in the cab. Yesterday was the first time I've used it. The corn was shelled here on the farm a few days ago and I wanted to bush hog the waterways and around the field edges, and also to open up my 400 yard shooting range now that the corn was gone. I had a 10-22 in the tractor cab, and about 1 P.M. pair of coyotes came out of a waterway and one of them crossed the field right in front of me. I opened up the cab door, and put a couple of rounds in it at about 50 yards. The coyote went maybe 30 yards and piled up. 22 LR's work pretty good on coyotes, as I've killed several with them. I had a shot at the other one, but knew it was just a little too far for open sights. A scoped 223 is what I will most likely carry from now on. [Linked Image][Linked Image]
Nicely done.. Kudos...
Good going James !
Well done.
We used to carry a 410 with slugs.

Where's the carpet?? whistle
That's making the best of what you have handy. Good shooting.

My knockaround rifle these days is a stainless/tupperware .243 cut back to 21". It'll handle smaller varmints and hogs too.
Good Job, Buddy! grin

Yeah, I think going to a .223 is a good idea.

[Linked Image]

I always carry my 1911 as well. The other day, I got lazy and didn't strap my rifle in the gun rack. You guessed it... Coyote! Had to take it with my 1911 at 65 yards.

Some things I've taken from the 100hp hunting blind... Coyotes... hogs, and rattlers.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Glad you got that rack implemented! I love mine.
South Texas farmers carry rifles in tractors for two legged coyotes.
Originally Posted by jaguartx
South Texas farmers carry rifles in tractors for two legged coyotes.

LOL.

That too! laugh
The occasional coyote is about all I expect to get a shot at. If I lived in Texas, I'd want a machine gun mounted on the roof, so I could shoot all those nasty looking critters without having to get out.
Originally Posted by K22
Well done.
We used to carry a 410 with slugs.

Where's the carpet?? whistle

Maybe I could put some Astroturf in it.
Originally Posted by JamesJr
The occasional coyote is about all I expect to get a shot at. If I lived in Texas, I'd want a machine gun mounted on the roof, so I could shoot all those nasty looking critters without having to get out.

laugh

No hogs there?
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

laugh

No hogs there?

The only hogs I see around here are the ones that shop at Walmart.

Supposedly, there is a small population about 25 miles north of me, along the Tradewater River. They were brought in by some hunters from Georgia who were leasing some land there. I don't think they've become much of a threat yet, because the area is heavily wooded.

I'd love to shoot some, but most definitely don't want them running around here.

I'd love to shoot some, but most definitely don't want them running around here.

Fact!

People just think they want wild hogs, until they get some. frown

You get the itchy trigger finger to shoot some, let me know!
Good killing
I really like the OP's setup. I have been looking for something like that for the UTV. But, even if I had a welding rig, I wouldn't know what to do with it. smile
Nice work James.
Dayum you turning into a real geedubya, baiting coyotes with "Yellow Yelper".
Originally Posted by Cheyenne
I really like the OP's setup. I have been looking for something like that for the UTV. But, even if I had a welding rig, I wouldn't know what to do with it. smile

I went with this rack for the Mule. It'll fit any UTV. Front or back. I have it in front for faster access and put a pipe insulator on top, and use the rack as a rifle rest while shooting.

[Linked Image]

http://greatdayinc.com/products/utv-accessories-2/the-power-ride-carriers-gun-bow/

With alla the rain here, I'm fixing to spray a couple of ranches for brush in this rig. I'm sure I'll have the AR in the rack and use it. smile

friend of mine designed and started selling these a few years ago.
https://www.amazon.com/Gator-Gripp-9253-Universal-ATV-Mount/dp/B00IIZUPOA

I have an overhead 2 gun rack in my Polaris Ranger. The only drawback is that the guns are held in by Velcro strips, and they play out after a while. The one I made for my tractor is a little big for a 22, but it still works.

good job on dead 'yote

shoot one for all of us........
You did a good job on that, James.

I probably would have just burned a hole in that thin metal with my welder... smile

Years ago I had one of those San Angelo brand trunk mounts and installed it as an overhead rack in my pickup. Now the ceilings of pickups are cluttered, and not flat like they used to be.
Originally Posted by stxhunter

Yeah.....but will it blend????

I probably would have just burned a hole in that thin metal with my welder... smile

Years ago I had one of those San Angelo brand trunk mounts and installed it as an overhead rack in my pickup. Now the ceilings of pickups are cluttered, and not flat like they used to be.

After I got married, I worked in a factory as a mig welder for 12 years. Worked there on the evening shift and farmed during the day. Damn near killed me, but I did learn how to weld, at least with a mig welder.
Nice fabrication job. πŸ‘

How long was that dog down before the flies covered it up? We have flies but I don’t deal with them that thick, not to mention the moth that decided to join the scavenger show. I bet that the ticks are fierce too......πŸ‘Ž
Good ingenuity, get a patent on it ASAP.

After I got married, I worked in a factory as a mig welder for 12 years. Worked there on the evening shift and farmed during the day. Damn near killed me, but I did learn how to weld, at least with a mig welder.

I'm probably gonna borrow your brace idea you pictured and incorporate that into my tractor mount. I have it secured on top with a HD rubber bungee strap now. Your idea looks much better. smile
Nice set-up, and pretty sweet.....a coyote with a 22 RF! memtb
I love those take-down 10-22s!
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

That was a Walmart clearance one at $169. Normally, I would scope it, as my old eyes don't care for open sights. But, I'm beginning to like it as it is. I've killed a few squirrels, turtles, and some birds with it, in addition to the coyote. It is like every other 10-22 I've had.........very accurate and will shoot anything. I shot that coyote with some LR solids that I was I was wanting to shoot up. It came with a very nice carrying case, and I thought I'd leave it in there, put some ammo and a few other survival items in, and keep it for an emergency. But, it shoots to sweet to just forget about it.
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Nice fabrication job. πŸ‘

How long was that dog down before the flies covered it up? We have flies but I don’t deal with them that thick, not to mention the moth that decided to join the scavenger show. I bet that the ticks are fierce too......πŸ‘Ž

Coyote was dead maybe 25-30 minutes. It was in the upper 80's and the flies are thick.
Looking at the coyote, one might consider an additional rack for an "A salt" gun or a fly swatter.
Good Job, Buddy! grin

Yeah, I think going to a .223 is a good idea.

[Linked Image]

I always carry my 1911 as well. The other day, I got lazy and didn't strap my rifle in the gun rack. You guessed it... Coyote! Had to take it with my 1911 at 65 yards.

Some things I've taken from the 100hp hunting blind... Coyotes... hogs, and rattlers.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Glad you got that rack implemented! I love mine.

if i saw a rattler that size the only thing that would satisfy me that it was dead would be a napalm strikex2
hate those things.
I cant believe you guys are able to kill coyotes without a 6.5 Creedmore, must have been some mighty lucky shots and some mighty sick coyotes. laugh
Kill all them damn pigs!!!
Originally Posted by jnyork
I cant believe you guys are able to kill coyotes without a 6.5 Creedmore, must have been some mighty lucky shots and some mighty sick coyotes. laugh

James actually owns a 6.5 CM so just having one at the house....long as you wear the magic fob bracelet. Any firearm you take hold of will have the same mythical powers.
Originally Posted by slumlord
Originally Posted by jnyork

James actually owns a 6.5 CM so just having one at the house....long as you wear the magic fob bracelet. Any firearm you take hold of will have the same mythical powers.

Yep, I always touch my 6.5CM before I shoot another rifle, as it will give the other rifle some mystical qualities. It will turn a plain old ordinary BB gun into a weapon capable of killing an elephant.

[Linked Image][/URL.

So I'm on my phone scrolling down this thread and get to this picture and the damned thing vibrated! Nearly dropped it!
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer

[Linked Image][/URL.

So I'm on my phone scrolling down this thread and get to this picture and the damned thing vibrated! Nearly dropped it!

laugh laugh
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

That was a Walmart clearance one at $169. Normally, I would scope it, as my old eyes don't care for open sights. But, I'm beginning to like it as it is. I've killed a few squirrels, turtles, and some birds with it, in addition to the coyote. It is like every other 10-22 I've had.........very accurate and will shoot anything. I shot that coyote with some LR solids that I was I was wanting to shoot up. It came with a very nice carrying case, and I thought I'd leave it in there, put some ammo and a few other survival items in, and keep it for an emergency. But, it shoots to sweet to just forget about it.

I just got one this summer at a grocery store going out of the gun business... mine is SS with a couple other nice touches. The price was about 75 bucks higher than your deal, but I'll pay that for SS most any day! I put an old 3x Leupold on it because they cannot be broken, even by a 10-22. And it shoots!
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer

[Linked Image][/URL.

laugh laugh

I like snakes, even rattlers.
Well done, congrats.
Coyotes on a tractor are like taking candy from a baby.
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
Coyotes on a tractor are like taking candy from a baby.

Yep. You can usually sneak up and pop them while they are trying to release the parking brake.
Same with deer

10 point standing at the edge of the thicket. Flicked his tail and kept munching sumac berries. Hung around for about 3 passes around on the bush hog.
Deer have walked up to me while I've running a chainsaw several times. Started taking my 788 carbine years ago anytime I was cutting wood.
Originally Posted by slumlord
Deer have walked up to me while I've running a chainsaw several times. Started taking my 788 carbine years ago anytime I was cutting wood.

Running a bulldozer does the same, deer are curious, and wanna know what's making all that racket. I think they like the smells of freshly turned earth, too.
The wildlife doesn't pay much attention to tractors for sure.

The main challenge I have is hitting them while my 15' shredder is running at full power. The vibration can throw me off a bit sometimes.

Tried turning it off, or throttling down, but they can tell when you do that, and get spooky.
The wildlife doesn't pay much attention to tractors for sure.

The main challenge I have is hitting them while my 15' shredder is running at full power. The vibration can throw me off a bit sometimes.

Tried turning it off, or throttling down, but they can tell when you do that, and get spooky.

I have found that when you stop and throttle back the engine, or cut off the PTO, animals will usually notice and take off. I just stopped, put the shifter in neutral, opened the door, and shot 6 times as fast as I could. The coyote had already gotten nervous, and was moving when I shot him. The tractor was vibrating, but that don't matter to a good shot......lol.

I've deer hunted out of equipment that was left out in the field. My little brother was helping a neighbor combine beans on the evening before deer season opened, and they saw a nice buck. He went back the next morning, got in the cab, and killed that deer. I know lots of guys who've gotten a deer that way.
I've damn near picked up deer in the swather, a few times.
Had coyote pups bust out on the last pass across a field, a few times, also. smile smile
Originally Posted by stxhunter

I use one of those. Pretty nice so far
How well do those hold a rifle?
Merge this thread with the one about Eric Holder saying "When they go low, we'll kick them"

would make a good thread....rename it.. When Eric Holder Goes to Kick Us, We'll get our rifle off the Tractor
and blow his nuts off....
How did the corn do?
Originally Posted by sjphillips
How did the corn do?

Not sure, haven't talked to the neighbor that rents the cropland. Most of the corn around here that I've heard about was in the 160-200 bushel range. Some lower, some higher. Mine probably was in the lower end of the range, as it needed a rain on it that it didn't get.
© 24hourcampfire