Home
Posted By: Dillonbuck Branch water in whiskey - 11/01/18
Ok, reading the KY or TN thread.

Why buy 101 whiskey, and water it down?
That's how they make 80 proof.

I like 101 Wild Turkey. Straight, or in iced tea or lemonade.
It's strong I get that.
But why do the aficionados insist they love strong whiskey, then cut it?

I not fighting here. If you like Shirley Temples, or guzzle 151 straight, I don't care.

But, what am I missing.
Water makes my strong whiskey taste bad. And then, there's more of it to drink. Batchy!

Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Branch water in whiskey - 11/01/18
Good whisky "opens" with just a few drops of water added. It does not ruin it... adding several ice cubes on the other hand only makes it easier to drink by those that do not like whiskey.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Branch water in whiskey - 11/01/18
Maybe I have tried too much water.

I do like it cold sometimes. But not on the rocks.
Posted By: Rug3 Re: Branch water in whiskey - 11/01/18
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Maybe I have tried too much water.

I do like it cold sometimes. But not on the rocks.

Whisky or water?
Posted By: ltppowell Re: Branch water in whiskey - 11/01/18
All alcoholic beverages taste like [bleep]. I like whiskey best. I like tequila too, but that's just crazy. Do whatever it takes to make it taste better.
Posted By: papalondog Re: Branch water in whiskey - 11/01/18
I either drink it straight or once in awhile with ONE small ice cube. A touch of water opens up the flavor noticeably, especially with Scotch. JMO
I drink it straight after the guitar comes out.
Posted By: kwg020 Re: Branch water in whiskey - 11/01/18
Whiskey on the rocks is one of my favorite drinks. I guess I'm a wussy.

kwg
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Branch water in whiskey - 11/01/18
How you drink whiskey don't make you a wussy.

Wearing skinny pants mIght.

Shooting a 270 absolutely will!

Yup. Yelling someone else how to drink whiskey makes you a wuss. I like mine with Coke. Even the good stuff.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Branch water in whiskey - 11/01/18
Hard to not like a Jack & Ginger. When I add, I do for color.
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Hard to not like a Jack & Ginger. When I add, I do for color.

Those Tennessee whiskey's are tough.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Branch water in whiskey - 11/01/18
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Yup. Yelling someone else how to drink whiskey makes you a wuss...

But ... but... telling someone else how to do something is the very soul of the 'fire. wink
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Branch water in whiskey - 11/01/18
Roger that John. wink
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: Branch water in whiskey - 11/01/18
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Good whisky "opens" with just a few drops of water added. It does not ruin it... adding several ice cubes on the other hand only makes it easier to drink by those that do not like whiskey.

There's your answer Dillon......look no farther.

In my thread I specifically said a "splash" not "water it down".

I do the same thing with 90 proof.

I don't drink any 80 proof but not because I'm too good for 80 proof.....I just haven't found very many that I like.
Posted By: blanket Re: Branch water in whiskey - 11/01/18
your supposed to make the sign of the cross above good whiskey with the branch water and what spills in is to open it

Yup. Yelling someone else how to drink whiskey makes you a wuss. I like mine with Coke. Even the good stuff.

I don't like Coke in anything.....and that includes Coke but as long as you don't grow a man bun I won't call you a wussy.
Drink what you like and enjoy.
Passion for food may be excided only by passion for drink.
T it VC
Originally Posted by FieldGrade

There's your answer Dillon......look no farther.

In my thread I specifically said a "splash" not "water it down".

I do the same thing with 90 proof.

I don't drink any 80 proof but not because I'm too good for 80 proof.....I just haven't found very many that I like.

If you were sitting in this 12x12 butt hutch with me right now, with this front coming through. 80 proof would be just fine.

If you were sitting in this 12x12 butt hutch with me right now, with this front coming through. 80 proof would be just fine.

No doubt......back when I used to think setting in a Duck blind on a cold winter day was a good idea 70 proof Black Berry Brandy was "just fine".

Like I said earlier I don't look down my nose at anyone's choice in alcohol but I do occasionally find humor in it.
Posted By: Sycamore Re: Branch water in whiskey - 11/01/18
Ok, reading the KY or TN thread.

Why buy 101 whiskey, and water it down?
That's how they make 80 proof.

I like 101 Wild Turkey. Straight, or in iced tea or lemonade.
It's strong I get that.
But why do the aficionados insist they love strong whiskey, then cut it?

I not fighting here. If you like Shirley Temples, or guzzle 151 straight, I don't care.

But, what am I missing.
Water makes my strong whiskey taste bad. And then, there's more of it to drink. Batchy!

Dickel and ditch, please!
Posted By: hanco Re: Branch water in whiskey - 11/01/18
I like Jack with a splash of water.
Posted By: shaman Re: Branch water in whiskey - 11/01/18
On a really, really good whiskey, the best way to savor it fully is to add a bit of branch, i.e. water from the stream from which the distillery drew its water. The amount recommended is that which can be applied with an eyedropper. In some rare cases, you can even by a bottle of the branch. I've tried it this way, and frankly I couldn't tell the difference.

Posted By: KFWA Re: Branch water in whiskey - 11/01/18
I like mine clear and in a grey goose bottle
This got me to thinking since whiskey usually has water added to bring it down to bottle proof from the barrel proof. What would be the benefit of adding more water later? Here's an article that touches on the subject.

The Chuck Cowdery Blog: Whiskey, Water and You

An excerpt from the article:

The study authors write, "When whisky is diluted, the alcohol is driven to the surface, and many of the taste molecules follow it because they like to be in a slightly less aqueous environment." It is unclear if this is something immediate, that happens right after water is added and then dissipates, or if the alcohol stays in that state. And, if it does, does the same thing happen when you pour diluted whiskey into a glass? Or do you have to add more water to create the effect?

It sounds like it happens each time you add water, up to a point of diminishing return. The authors also make an argument against cask strength whiskey that doesn't seem to comport with the experience of most drinkers, who find high proof whiskey very flavorful.

Posted By: 5sdad Re: Branch water in whiskey - 11/01/18
Originally Posted by shaman
On a really, really good whiskey, the best way to savor it fully is to add a bit of branch, i.e. water from the stream from which the distillery drew its water. The amount recommended is that which can be applied with an eyedropper. In some rare cases, you can even by a bottle of the branch. I've tried it this way, and frankly I couldn't tell the difference.

And Diogenes's quest is successfully ended! smile
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Dave_in_WV Re: Branch water in whiskey - 11/01/18
Bourbon, Scotch, Irish, rye, Canadian, vodka, rum, or tequila, if I don't like the taste straight I don't buy it. Gin and tonic only with gin. Top shelf gin or the average stuff tastes like pine needles to me. I can't do soft drinks and alcohol. Make me gag. My favorite drink is Irish whiskey and Irish Mist mixed like a rusty nail.
A good friend told me ragging on a man's religion, what he sleeps with, or drinks can start a fight.
Posted By: mathman Re: Branch water in whiskey - 11/01/18
People who like their whisk(e)y on the rocks can save money.
Posted By: nighthawk Re: Branch water in whiskey - 11/01/18
Will you have whiskey with your water
Or sugar with your tea
What are these crazy questions
That they're asking of me

Personally I never thought any amount of water frozen or otherwise improved good whisky. YMMV
Posted By: Timberlake Re: Branch water in whiskey - 11/01/18
Room temp is best, for me at least. No water, no ice, no nuthin'. Good whiskey best at 68-72 degrees. Oh, and a friend or two.
Posted By: rainshot Re: Branch water in whiskey - 11/01/18
Saving money or not, drinking whisky on ice with a little water added or not does make it last a little longer before you start to wobble. It just allows one to enjoy it a little longer in a social setting before unsociability sets in.
Posted By: Raeford Re: Branch water in whiskey - 11/01/18
Originally Posted by nighthawk
Will you have whiskey with your water
Or sugar with your tea
What are these crazy questions
That they're asking of me

Personally I never thought any amount of water frozen or otherwise improved good whisky. YMMV

Fugg, I'll be hearin it all day now....

Originally Posted by rainshot
Saving money or not, drinking whisky on ice with a little water added or not does make it last a little longer before you start to wobble. It just allows one to enjoy it a little longer in a social setting before unsociability sets in.

I'm not so sure. From what I've seen, the guy who pours two fingers of whiskey and sips it straight often consumes it slower (and less overall) than the guy who pours the same amount over rocks and adds water/mixer.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Branch water in whiskey - 11/01/18
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by rainshot

I'm not so sure. From what I've seen, the guy who pours two fingers of whiskey and sips it straight often consumes it slower (and less overall) than the guy who pours the same amount over rocks and adds water/mixer.

When I make a ditch I drink it in a hurry! Way faster than people will drink a bottle of beer.
Well, when I saw branch water in the title, I immediately thought of the oak tainted waters in the streams in the late fall, early winter, after the oak trees have emptied their leaves into the streams and lined the bottoms.....I find it very nice, after a day of chasing brookies in the smokies and settling in by the fire next to the tent and stream, to me, it is very enjoyable to cut some Woodford, or someting similar, with a dose of oak tainted branch water while waiting for the dew point to put out my ash......
Sometimes I drink it neat, sometimes with ice, sometimes with water. Just depends upon my mood.

There’s things that keep me awake some nights. Worrying about what others think about how I drink my whiskey? Not so much
I know, I know, to each his own, he bought it he can have it how he wants, it's nobody else's business, yadda yadda.

Nevertheless, putting ice and mixer in high grade sipping whisk(e)y is like cooking fine prime beef to well done. You may as well have started with Old Crow or grocery store select grade steak.
Posted By: Raeford Re: Branch water in whiskey - 11/01/18
So ice is ok in Old Crow?
I don't classify Old Crow as sipping grade whiskey.

It's mixing something like 18 year old Sazerac rye with Coke on the rocks that stabs me in the heart.
Posted By: Mac84 Re: Branch water in whiskey - 11/01/18
Originally Posted by Raeford
So ice is ok in Old Crow?

Only if the ice accompanies sweet vermouth, bitters and a cherry.
Posted By: 284LUVR Re: Branch water in whiskey - 11/01/18
Originally Posted by Dave_in_WV
Bourbon, Scotch, Irish, rye, Canadian, vodka, rum, or tequila, if I don't like the taste straight I don't buy it. Gin and tonic only with gin. Top shelf gin or the average stuff tastes like pine needles to me. I can't do soft drinks and alcohol. Make me gag. My favorite drink is Irish whiskey and Irish Mist mixed like a rusty nail.
A good friend told me ragging on a man's religion, what he sleeps with, or drinks can start a fight.

Careful there, Dave. Thin ice, thin ice.

You'll insult the resident snobs.
Posted By: gonehuntin Re: Branch water in whiskey - 11/01/18
Branch water in whiskey

That phrase, to me, recalls the era of LBJ, Sam Rayburn, and a host of other bums from long ago getting together at a remote location in Texas to wheel and deal, with no witnesses to their shenanigans.

As for drinking, I'll toss an ice cube in a glass of scotch.
Posted By: Alagator Re: Branch water in whiskey - 11/01/18

One cold rainy night in Scotland I stopped at a rural inn to enjoy the open fire and a wee dram. My straight Laphroaig came with a tiny pitcher of water so I could add a few drops or as much as suited me.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Branch water in whiskey - 11/01/18
I just started drinking a little decent-quality 12 year-old dark rum. Pouring a shot over ice tames the burn just enough that I can taste the other flavors. Don't tell ingwe, but I like this much better than Blantons.
© 24hourcampfire