Home
Posted By: smokepole "On Sale at Cabela's!!" - 11/01/18
"Wool Boot Socks"

65% Acrylic, 20% Wool, 15% Nylon.

I guess "Acrylic Boot Socks" just doesn't sound as good.
Posted By: dye7barrel Re: "On Sale ar Cabela's!!" - 11/01/18
Doesn't appeal to the REI crowd.
Them aint "wool socks"
Posted By: gunswizard Re: "On Sale ar Cabela's!!" - 11/01/18
Merino wool is the only way to go, flock acrylic and nylon. You pay more for merino wool but they can be worn year round, I get medium weight so they can be worn by themselves most of the time and as a liner sock when the weather is frigid.
Posted By: smokepole Re: "On Sale ar Cabela's!!" - 11/01/18
Originally Posted by dye7barrel

The REI crowd shops at Cabelas?

They sure have put on some weight.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: "On Sale ar Cabela's!!" - 11/01/18
Its fugging criminal.

Dem werl fermers musta be gettin reech.
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by dye7barrel

The REI crowd shops at Cabelas?

They sure have put on some weight.

LOL
Acrylic, I tell ya!!
Posted By: dale06 Re: "On Sale ar Cabela's!!" - 11/01/18
When buying will Sox, always look at the label. Many are far from “wool”
Posted By: Anjin Re: "On Sale ar Cabela's!!" - 11/01/18
Very funny. BTW, Costco is selling a similar type of blended socks that many quite like. I have several pairs and they shrink unless washed by hand.

A few of the Alaskan writers of hunting and guide books recommend AGAINST wool as holding too much moisture. They claim their experience favors acrylics and even Orlon [Tony Russ].

And of course Wiggy says only his Lamilite/Climashield booties are the best and take the place of socks,

Norm
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Its fugging criminal.

Dem werl fermers musta be gettin reech.

Not only that, but I heard on drudge that the border caravan is smugglin' that damn acrylic!!

And it's Mexican "black tar" acrylic, very potent. If you're not careful your feet will overheat and spontaneously combust!

Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: "On Sale ar Cabela's!!" - 11/01/18
It'd be Darn Tough for me to even consider Cabela's China socks.
Originally Posted by Anjin

A few of the Alaskan writers of hunting and guide books recommend AGAINST wool as holding too much moisture. They claim their experience favors acrylics and even Orlon [Tony Russ].

My sheep outfitter and all his guides used wool, so I did too. We got rained on for days on end, everything we had was wet.

No problem whatsoever. Personally, I like the feel of wool better than synthetics for socks. Synthetics feel clammy to me.

I see what you did there mtnboomer.....the good thing about the chisox is the price, 4 pr. for $19. Good for working around the house and stuff.
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
It Darn Tough for me to even consider Cabela's China socks.
Yup the way I see it
Posted By: joken2 Re: "On Sale at Cabela's!!" - 11/01/18

Socks made with a blend of other fibers and only 20% or less Merino wool are pretty common and not a big deal.
Posted By: jnyork Re: "On Sale at Cabela's!!" - 11/01/18
Trying desperately to work "6.5 Creedmore" into this discussion. So far, no joy. Oh, wait...........
Posted By: smokepole Re: "On Sale at Cabela's!!" - 11/01/18
Originally Posted by joken2

Socks made with a blend of other fibers and only 20% or less Merino wool are pretty common and not a big deal.

Except when they market them as "wool socks." It might not be illegal, but it's bullshart.
Originally Posted by jnyork
Trying desperately to work "6.5 Creedmore" into this discussion. So far, no joy. Oh, wait...........

ROTF LMAO
Posted By: jaguartx Re: "On Sale at Cabela's!!" - 11/01/18
"Wool Boot Socks"

Bass Pro Shops advertising right there. Its how they were able to take a good company over.
Posted By: rifletom Re: "On Sale at Cabela's!!" - 11/01/18
You get those Cabela socks jnyork and your 6.5 Creedmore will shoot straighter. Really!

Me thinks you missed the point.

Cabelas advertising is like Chevy/Ford/Dodge claiming their vehicles are American made.
Posted By: P_Weed Re: "On Sale at Cabela's!!" - 11/01/18
Originally Posted by wyowinchester
Them aint "wool socks"

My socks are made out of dog hair - 100% "woof".
Posted By: smokepole Re: "On Sale at Cabela's!!" - 11/01/18
Originally Posted by jaguartx
"Wool Boot Socks"

Bass Pro Shops advertising right there. Its how they were able to take a good company over.

Never thought of that angle but I believe you're right.
Posted By: joken2 Re: "On Sale at Cabela's!!" - 11/01/18

Originally Posted by Kodiakisland

Me thinks you missed the point.

Cabelas advertising is like Chevy/Ford/Dodge claiming their vehicles are American made.

Wool Products Labeling Act The Wool Products Labeling Act of 1939
Posted By: Kenneth Re: "On Sale at Cabela's!!" - 11/02/18

Clever entendre,,,,,

and I agree.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: "On Sale at Cabela's!!" - 11/02/18
Bass Pro is the herpes of the outdoor world.
Posted By: Pahntr760 Re: "On Sale at Cabela's!!" - 11/02/18
Originally Posted by gunswizard
Merino wool is the only way to go, flock acrylic and nylon. You pay more for merino wool but they can be worn year round, I get medium weight so they can be worn by themselves most of the time and as a liner sock when the weather is frigid.

I wear nothing but merino wool of various weights. Even my gym socks are wool.

Originally Posted by Steelhead
Bass Pro is the herpes of the outdoor world.

Very true. Cabela's used to be pretty decent for quite a few things...it is sad to go into a store now.
Posted By: stevelyn Re: "On Sale at Cabela's!!" - 11/02/18
The best everyday wool sock out there for the money are the Kirkland medium weight wool socks at COSTCO. They are minimum 70% merino wool and are about $11.00 per 4/pk.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: "On Sale at Cabela's!!" - 11/02/18
Best deal at Bass Pro is the Moon Pies by the check out counter.

Place is worth window shopping and getting a chuckle out of the prices and some of the products. That’s about it.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: "On Sale at Cabela's!!" - 11/02/18
Whats a moon pie??

Sounds interesting.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: "On Sale at Cabela's!!" - 11/02/18
Originally Posted by stevelyn
The best everyday wool sock out there for the money are the Kirkland medium weight wool socks at COSTCO. They are minimum 70% merino wool and are about $11.00 per 4/pk.

Sheesh...Kirkland makes everything!

I should try and find a costco sometime, must be one in Montana somewhere.
We have a Costco in Bozeman, but it's getting increasingly difficult to recommend coming to Bozeman. Too much traffic. I can, however, recommend those Kirkland socks. I'm wearing a pair as I type. Great value for three bucks a pair.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: "On Sale at Cabela's!!" - 11/02/18
As usual, Costco has their 70% merino socks, 4 pair for $12. They aren't heavy boot socks but I wear them all winter with any kind of shoes.
Women's are slightly higher priced but they have a higher % of merino.
Jim, there is one just a short drive from you.----Billings!

Well for Montana it ain't too far!

Quite a few Hutterite chicks to look at there also!
Posted By: smokepole Re: "On Sale at Cabela's!!" - 11/02/18
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Whats a moon pie??

Sounds interesting.

It's what you have for desert, after your 'logna sammich. Washed down wif a RC cola.
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: "On Sale at Cabela's!!" - 11/02/18
Originally Posted by Anjin
Very funny. BTW, Costco is selling a similar type of blended socks that many quite like. I have several pairs and they shrink unless washed by hand.

And of course Wiggy says only his Lamilite/Climashield booties are the best and take the place of socks,

Norm

Would that be the same Tony Russ that suggests you avoid Mausers because they "tend to jam?"

Or suggests making jerky by rolling out beef hamburger on waxed paper and letting it dry on the counter?

Or lost his guide license after abandoning a certain AZ bowhunter of note in the field?

Or any number of other idiocies?

That Tony Russ?
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: "On Sale at Cabela's!!" - 11/02/18
Originally Posted by kennymauser
Jim, there is one just a short drive from you.----Billings!

Well for Montana it ain't too far!

Quite a few Hutterite chicks to look at there also!

If the white van's a rockin'....
Posted By: RoninPhx Re: "On Sale at Cabela's!!" - 11/02/18
I got a surprise in the mail last night. I credit card statement issued by capital one under the cabelas name. seems i had an automatic charge hit the account for something i had forgot about. I thought the cabella's card was done. I am gonna pay it off and done with that, hate capital one.
Originally Posted by Kenneth

Clever entendre,,,,,

and I agree.

Yup. Getting ready for my elk hunt this year I about scheet my pants when I found how many pairs of Darn Tough socks I owned. I was looking at like $2000 worth of boots and socks....and I will never admit that to my wife.
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: "On Sale at Cabela's!!" - 11/02/18
I love those Costco merino socks. I wear them all winter and into Spring. They seem to last forever, too. I may buy another pack of them this year, but my older ones are fine even though the first pack I bought and still wear is at least six years old.

THE warmest socks, gloves, and hats are Heat Holders. By far the best. Not cheap, but man oh man are they warm. LINK
© 24hourcampfire