Home

Larry used to live in Ennis and had a Taxidermy shop there. Both he and Stephanie were avid hunters themselves. I believe he also got the last Grizzly bear in Montana, before they shut down that hunt.

It looks like he went a little too far in applying for a Desert Bighorn and got his ass in a jam...

https://www.sltrib.com/news/2018/01...s-for-poaching-a-desert-bighorn-in-utah/
Add blocked
Seems he left too soon...
Good to see you're getting the word out again.

https://onyourownadventures.com/hunttalk/showthread.php?285848-Does-Anyone-Remember-Larry-Altimus
I ran into him in Ennis around 12 years ago, nice person to talk to. I believe he sold his business in the mid to late 90s.
If he only wouldve had a jury of his own peers.
Originally Posted by Greenhorn

Greenhorn- hope you're OK after that hit-n-run...grin
I remember him Shrap..he was always a sheep nut...
Originally Posted by Greenhorn

What is the location of the rock carvings? Are you saying Shrapnel is responsible for the defacing?
Seems a bit excessive. I have a hard time calling moving your residence to another state, completely, for the better part of a year "gaming" anything.
Originally Posted by liliysdad
Seems a bit excessive. I have a hard time calling moving your residence to another state, completely, for the better part of a year "gaming" anything.

Moving back "home" before the season opened does seem to be a give away...
I dont disagree....but I am of the opinion that a resident is a resident, regardless of intent. I understand he violated the law, I just think the law is stupid. If a person is willing to satisfy all the requirements of residency, then all the perks should apply....regardless of reason.
Originally Posted by liliysdad
I dont disagree....but I am of the opinion that a resident is a resident, regardless of intent. I understand he violated the law, I just think the law is stupid. If a person is willing to satisfy all the requirements of residency, then all the perks should apply....regardless of reason.

In Alaska the law clearly states "And intend to remain a resident" but that of course is due to the serious benes one gets here. Though a series of preference points in the range of getting a great sheep tag is pretty serious, too.
Not a new problem,
Google Gary Swanson big horn sheep.
He was a taxidermist who along with 35 others were busted killing sheep in several areas of Southern California years ago. Probably other area's and violations that they got away with.
Swanson was busted at least twice then moved to AZ IIRC
On the other hand, that's a dandy ram.

I assume he had the "intent" to remain a resident but changed his mind.

And he still managed to beat pretty good odds.
I also knew Larry and Stephanie back when they lived in Ennis. He mounted my first Bighorn ram and Mountain goat. He wanted to do a life mount on my goat so bad that he dropped the price 30%. Back then I didn't think I had the room for a full mount so I stuck with a half mount. I've been regretting that decision ever since. The last time that I talked to Larry and Stephanie was two years ago at the GSCO convention in Vegas.

Both Larry and Stephanie were very avid hunters. Larry has a ram in the B&C book that he shot years ago in one of the Unlimited ram units near Cooke City.
That is a great looking ram. Now he will have trouble finding sheep to hunt in Mass, Delaware, and HI
He didn’t just game the system..... he cheated bona fide residents out of a fair chance at a tag.
An argument can be made that, considering all or nearly all the sheep hunting is on federal land, the system isn't fair to begin with. The only reason the state issues ANY non-resident tags is in hopes of preventing a lawsuit that would potentially remove all resident preferences.
Originally Posted by buffybr
I also knew Larry and Stephanie back when they lived in Ennis. He mounted my first Bighorn ram and Mountain goat. He wanted to do a life mount on my goat so bad that he dropped the price 30%. Back then I didn't think I had the room for a full mount so I stuck with a half mount. I've been regretting that decision ever since. The last time that I talked to Larry and Stephanie was two years ago at the GSCO convention in Vegas.

Both Larry and Stephanie were very avid hunters. Larry has a ram in the B&C book that he shot years ago in one of the Unlimited ram units near Cooke City.

I bet B&C will drop his ram from the book, as well as any other trophies he has entered.
Originally Posted by 700LH
Not a new problem,
Google Gary Swanson big horn sheep.
He was a taxidermist who along with 35 others were busted killing sheep in several areas of Southern California years ago. Probably other area's and violations that they got away with.
Swanson was busted at least twice then moved to AZ IIRC

i had to look it up. I knew gary swanson while he was living in prescott. He presented himself at the time as a wildlife artist. Nothing about his past as a taxidermist, and certainly nothing about those legal troubles. Matter of fact, i know the guy who is living in his former house in prescott. This is going to shock some local people. His brother ray was a artist too.
Amazing that people were willing to pay up to $3,000 just to kill a California Big Horn!

Should have invested in that stock!!!
© 24hourcampfire