Home
Posted By: JTman Heated Jackets - 11/09/18
Anyone have or use the Milwaukee heated jacket (or other brand)? I'm considering buying one to use while hunting and wondered if they were worth the money and really worked.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Heated Jackets - 11/09/18
I got one

Used it yesterday
Posted By: Sako76 Re: Heated Jackets - 11/09/18
I'm looking at one after sitting in 40 MPH winds in Colorado. Contracting buddy of mine has one and says battery lasts about 2 hours, he turns it on for 10 minutes when he gets cold and then turns it off to conserve the battery. You could always carry a second battery. I think a 10 minute warm up is what is needed after sitting and getting cold. Good luck.
Posted By: deflave Re: Heated Jackets - 11/09/18
Black Friday sale day is supposed to include a free vibrator.
Posted By: JTman Re: Heated Jackets - 11/09/18
Thanks for the detailed report Slum.

I'll definitely wait till Black Friday if they're giving away free vibrator's with em!!
Originally Posted by Sako76
I'm looking at one after sitting in 40 MPH winds in Colorado. Contracting buddy of mine has one and says battery lasts about 2 hours, he turns it on for 10 minutes when he gets cold and then turns it off to conserve the battery. You could always carry a second battery. I think a 10 minute warm up is what is needed after sitting and getting cold. Good luck.

Two hours doesn't sound very long but I agree you could use it up 10 minutes at a time.

Wondering how much more battery that vibrator will use?
Posted By: Ghostinthemachine Re: Heated Jackets - 11/09/18
Thinking about the Dewalt one. I've got loads of 20v and 60v flexvolt batteries.
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
Thinking about the Dewalt one. I've got loads of 20v and 60v flexvolt batteries.

Wouldn't be opposed to a Dewalt either. I'd imagine they'd be pretty similar.

I see off brands are making heated vests with battery's too but I'd want to hear from someone I knew and trusted about them before I'd invest in one.
Details:

Dont waste your money

If youre thinking this will keep you warm sitting idle in a tree stand...it doesnt.

The battery rating is pure bovine scatology. The batteries last about 1- hour on high. That "high" setting is isnt what you might think it should be.

The elements are two business card size pads above the chest. To get any real benefit out of it, for sitting- you need to have the jacket make close contact to the body with only a single base layer.

If you have 2-3 layers on underneath the heat radiates more out to the atmosphere instead of your skin.

If youre doing some chore or work and your burning calories via movement to suppliment the jacket, it would probably be ok.

Also probably depends on your metabolism and tolerance for cold. Any amount of wind- really robs your benefits altogether.

I have three batteries and it becomes an albatross
Posted By: tansinator Re: Heated Jackets - 11/09/18
I have had the Bosch heated jacket for about 5 years. The jacket itself is so warm I don't even use the heated part. Bad thing is the jacket itself doesn't breathe at all, but no wind will come through it either. Mine was a gift. I wouldn't buy one. Hope this helps.
Posted By: rost495 Re: Heated Jackets - 11/09/18
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine

My wife has the De Walt. You still dress for the temps, but it backs it up. Generally 2-4 hours depending on a 20V battery. She is an athlete, very low BP and pulse and fairly small at 113 pounds. She gets cold really easily.

This is the best thing we've ever found.

Carrying a few extra batteries is nothing compared to getting cold.

And yes you have to understand insulation, and heated clothing and how to use it or it isn't going to seem as efficient as you would like.

She also has a brand of long underwear too, can be powered by cell phone battery charging packs. Works very well. Enough so that a few weeks ago in Alaska she would turn them on now and then as needed but never used a whole battery in a day of being out in sub freezing temps.

They are all inner layers, not outer layers. If you put them on as an outer, you better not be dumb enough to have layers on under them or they will seem like they are not working...
Originally Posted by slumlord
Details:

Dont waste your money

If youre thinking this will keep you warm sitting idle in a tree stand...it doesnt.

The battery rating is pure bovine scatology. The batteries last about 1- hour on high. That "high" setting is isnt what you might think it should be.

The elements are two business card size pads above the chest. To get any real benefit out of it, for sitting- you need to have the jacket make close contact to the body with only a single base layer.

If you have 2-3 layers on underneath the heat radiates more out to the atmosphere instead of your skin.

If youre doing some chore or work and your burning calories via movement to suppliment the jacket, it would probably be ok.

Also probably depends on your metabolism and tolerance for cold. Any amount of wind- really robs your benefits altogether.

I have three batteries and it becomes an albatross

Thank you very much, that's the kinds of report I was looking for.

Thanks to others that have responded as well. Would like to hear of any and all opinions.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Heated Jackets - 11/09/18
I'm done adding weight to my hunting gear. I found myself leaving it all in the truck this year and hunting with a rifle and a knife.

If you want your jacket, you can keep your jacket.
Originally Posted by Fireball2
I'm done adding weight to my hunting gear. I found myself leaving it all in the truck this year and hunting with a rifle and a knife.

If you want your jacket, you can keep your jacket.

Can I get your jackets since you're not using them any more??
Posted By: JRaw Re: Heated Jackets - 11/09/18
I haven't done it yet, but I'm thinking that for stand hunting you could use the chem toe heaters, with the sticker, and stick them on the back of your shirt by your kidneys.
Get one of those Solanpas back relief things with the heat warmers like Shaq. 😄

might work
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Heated Jackets - 11/09/18
I hear moving to Florida is a thing now.
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: Heated Jackets - 11/09/18
Originally Posted by JTman
Originally Posted by Sako76

Two hours doesn't sound very long but I agree you could use it up 10 minutes at a time.

Wondering how much more battery that vibrator will use?

A bit more but will last you all day if you only use it 10 minutes at a crack!
Posted By: JSTUART Re: Heated Jackets - 11/09/18

Well huh...the things you learn here, I had never even heard of such a thing.
Posted By: saddlering Re: Heated Jackets - 11/09/18
My hunting buddie just bought one, and is going to try it this weekend! I still like my goose down and Wool!
Posted By: joken2 Re: Heated Jackets - 11/09/18

Never tried the heated coats but did buy a pair of battery heated wool boot length socks once. The socks were a disappointment as far as keeping my feet from getting cold sitting still on a deer stand and the batteries ( C or D cell, I forget which) didn't last very long, either.
Posted By: Spotshooter Re: Heated Jackets - 11/09/18
Originally Posted by deflave

BWHAHAHAHAHAA. ROTFLMAO....
Posted By: Spotshooter Re: Heated Jackets - 11/09/18

Now that I regained my composure after the deflave post...

GORETEX. Coat, Clava, and hat... DONE.

Maybe hot coffee, or hot coco / pumpkin spice ?

I've heard of some using a sleeping bag to stay warm when hunting from a tree stand or ground blind. I know they make specially designed sleeping bag type deals for hunters in camo and orange now.
Posted By: kellory Re: Heated Jackets - 11/09/18
Originally Posted by joken2

I've heard of some using a sleeping bag to stay warm when hunting from a tree stand or ground blind. I know they make specially designed sleeping bag type deals for hunters in camo and orange now.

I do. I have a set of short suspenders sewn to the top of an old warm sleeping bag and bring it up under my coat. Works quite well.
Posted By: deflave Re: Heated Jackets - 11/09/18
Originally Posted by kellory

I do. I have a set of short suspenders sewn to the top of an old warm sleeping bag and bring it up under my coat. Works quite well.

Do you have any pics of that?

Commercial versions:

https://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/hunting/2013/02/gear-test-cold-weather-body-suits

https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/85672?page=northwoods-extreme-weather-suit

https://www.amazon.com/THE-HEATER-BODY-SUIT/dp/B01KKVR3LC

Posted By: Southerntier8 Re: Heated Jackets - 11/09/18

I have been using one of these heated lumbar belts for a few years. It is an upgrade from my old system of putting hand warmers down the back of my shirt. The battery lasts for about half a day on low. It doesn't keep me totally warm but does make long sits more tolerable. IMO, it was worth the money.

L L Bean - Heated Lumbar Belt
Didnt sharp things handcraft his own pumpkin suit sleepin bag snuggie w/suspenders??
Posted By: Windfall Re: Heated Jackets - 11/09/18
Too much technology to depend on for me. I too tried those battery power socks and batteries fail when you need them the most in cold weather. Case in point, I was out scouting today and wanted to take a picture with my phone and the battery puked out at 29 degrees even in my pocket. Years ago I spent some bucks to get a full mega down filled Eddie Bauer Kara Korm parka and pant set because it is the same outfit that you see on those guys climbing those high cold mountains. Wisconsin doesn't get as cold as Mount Everest, but I've never once regretted spending the money to get really good cold weather hunting gear. If I can stay in my stand way longer than the guy with the sweat shirt and blue jeans and he starts walking around to keep warm, he becomes a driver for me and I'll get the deer that he stirs up. That puffy down stuff squishes down nicely, doesn't weigh much and fits in a big pack for an all day hunt.
Im thinking Fat Joe from Terror Squad used to sport a Triple FAT gooser. And some others in the scene. 😄
Posted By: plainsman456 Re: Heated Jackets - 11/09/18
I have one and it does a good job at keeping your core warm,hands as well.

The one i have uses the smaller batteries but i got the adapter that lets me use my m-18 batteries that i use for my drills and grinder.

While they are a little bulky they last a long time.
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Heated Jackets - 11/10/18

Lmao!!

[Linked Image]
You just take one of those shake and bake hand warmers shake it up good and put it under you nut sack, it'll warm you right up.
Posted By: kellory Re: Heated Jackets - 11/10/18

Since you asked.....
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/galleries/13269655#Post13269655
Posted By: JTman Re: Heated Jackets - 11/10/18
TTT
Posted By: cv540 Re: Heated Jackets - 11/10/18
tag
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: Heated Jackets - 11/10/18
Originally Posted by slumlord
Didnt sharp things handcraft his own pumpkin suit sleepin bag snuggie w/suspenders??

If he's DIYguy's Sockpuppet, then yes and also a camo one. To see him in it, is one of the funniest damn things I've ever seen!

Looks like a big tooth!
Posted By: AussieGunWriter Re: Heated Jackets - 11/10/18
My wife bought me a heated jacket last season and it worked very well.
The brand was Gyde Supply Co, off Ebay and naturally it is Chinese.
There are 3 panels that provide heat, one large panel across the shoulder blades and 2 more panels either side of the chest.
There are 4 settings with the lowest rated to last up to 8 hours. It did this.
I found the lowest setting was adequate to take the bite out of the cold and after a few hours I was able to turn it off.

The price was around $75 and it was money well spent. I will use it again this year as we are already into the low 20's and a bit more with another week to go before gunpowder is permitted in the deer woods.
Posted By: kellory Re: Heated Jackets - 11/10/18
Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter
There are 3 panels that provide heat, one large panel across the shoulder blades and 2 more panels either side of the chest.
I found the lowest setting was adequate to take the bite out of the cold and after a few hours I was able to turn it off.

The price was around $75 and it was money well spent. I will use it again this year as we are already into the low 20's and a bit more with another week to go before gunpowder is permitted in the deer woods.

Was this it?

https://m.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m4084.l1313&_nkw=Gyde+Supply+Co

Battery is extra, and not included.
Posted By: nighthawk Re: Heated Jackets - 11/10/18
Sounds interesting but limited with the amount of energy you can store with even today's batteries. Coming up on old fart age I just add another layer. Or carry a packable down vest or liner if I expect to want it later.
Posted By: JTman Re: Heated Jackets - 11/12/18
Bump... anyone else have any input?
Posted By: shootem Re: Heated Jackets - 11/12/18
Not too much in vogue but the old school type warmers using lighter fluid work pretty well. Son bought me a couple of Zippos a while back and I put one at a time in a fleece hand tube or put one in each jacket or coverall pocket. Also the Hot Hands chemical units work in the right places. For boots I use either the foot shaped model or 2 smaller stick-ons under my toes and instep. They also make a body warmer I usually stick on my base layer over my abdomen. Like wise smaller stick-ons over the kidney area. For a real treat put a hand warmer size or stick on toe warmer in your beanie or insulated cap. Heat your head warm your feet. For any heater the closer to the skin the better the heat transfer. If you only sit a couple of hours anything works. There's plenty of times I do all day sits during rut.
Posted By: RyanTX Re: Heated Jackets - 11/12/18
They make them for motorcycle riders and I've heard good things about those, but I believe most of those are 12V and you plug them into your bike while you're riding.
Posted By: lvmiker Re: Heated Jackets - 11/12/18
People function well in Antarctica and on the top of Everest w/ down clothing.

mike r
Posted By: AussieGunWriter Re: Heated Jackets - 11/12/18
Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter

Was this it?

https://m.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m4084.l1313&_nkw=Gyde+Supply+Co

Battery is extra, and not included.

No.
My vest is orange.
I will be hunting with temps in the 20's-30's this year and will appreciate it again.
Posted By: JTman Re: Heated Jackets - 11/13/18
Appreciate all comments, thanks guys.

I was just reading some comparisons and reviews of different brands and am really considering the black 20v lithium-ion Dewalt. I want to say I read somewhere that they make some kind of conversion kit to use the 18v Nicad's in place of the 20v lithium's, can anyone verify that for me (I have a few 18 volt batteries and chargers already, it'd be nice to be able to use them)?
Posted By: davet Re: Heated Jackets - 11/13/18
I have a Gerbing Gyde vest that is heated with four settings and will run 2 hours on high (130*) or 8 hours on low (100*). I wear the vest as a second or third layer, as close to the base layer as possible. I bought it for deer season last year, and wear it all of the time I'm in cold weather now. I did buy a second battery this year, but the old battery is still running fine. Two heat panels on the chest, one large panel on the back, and a panel in the collar.

If I'm cold on the stand I run it on high until I can feel the heat and then bump it down to 2nd gear 110* for 6 hour run time. It is much more versatile that I thought it would be. It has eliminated 1-2 bulky layers and I stay warmer to boot.

I paid $140 range last year in early Oct, but it seems that in November they bump the price up. I bought my dad one for winter trout fishing after I was satisfied with mine, and ended up paying more for the same item. I went with the vest because the jackets don't have heat in the arms anyway, and I want the heating elements close to the base layer.

Ororo is another brand that I have heard people were happy with.
Posted By: JTman Re: Heated Jackets - 11/13/18
Originally Posted by davet
I have a Gerbing Gyde vest that is heated with four settings and will run 2 hours on high (130*) or 8 hours on low (100*). I wear the vest as a second or third layer, as close to the base layer as possible. I bought it for deer season last year, and wear it all of the time I'm in cold weather now. I did buy a second battery this year, but the old battery is still running fine. Two heat panels on the chest, one large panel on the back, and a panel in the collar.

If I'm cold on the stand I run it on high until I can feel the heat and then bump it down to 2nd gear 110* for 6 hour run time. It is much more versatile that I thought it would be. It has eliminated 1-2 bulky layers and I stay warmer to boot.

I paid $140 range last year in early Oct, but it seems that in November they bump the price up. I bought my dad one for winter trout fishing after I was satisfied with mine, and ended up paying more for the same item. I went with the vest because the jackets don't have heat in the arms anyway, and I want the heating elements close to the base layer.

Ororo is another brand that I have heard people were happy with.

That's a 7 volt battery, correct? Seems awful small to last all that long. How much was the spare battery you bought? With both batteries you'd have no problem running that vest all day long in the woods would you not?
Posted By: WyColoCowboy Re: Heated Jackets - 11/13/18
Having spent the majority of my life in Windy Wyoming, just dress yourself in layers with wool and goretex shell and cover exposed skin. Buy great gloves, great socks and great boots. I'd hate to be out somewhere depending on batteries to keep me warm. Plus, you don't ever want to get sweaty.
Posted By: butchlambert1 Re: Heated Jackets - 11/14/18
My Buddy makes custom BR bullets. He has an electric heater to heat the jackets before seating the cores.
Oh, the wrong kind of heated jacket!
Posted By: davet Re: Heated Jackets - 11/14/18
Originally Posted by JTman

That's a 7 volt battery, correct? Seems awful small to last all that long. How much was the spare battery you bought? With both batteries you'd have no problem running that vest all day long in the woods would you not?

Yes the 7 volt. If you run the battery at level 4, or high, it will not last. The advertised run times on the batteries seem about right. It will run a long time on level 2, 5-6 hours. Each setting gives or takes away 2 hours for 10* in heat. Level 1 (low) is 100* 8 hour run time. Level 4 (high) 130* 2 hour run time.

For stand hunting, etc. where it is just a cold sit, they work great for me. I wear it instead of a winter coat just about every day, and even down to the low 20's with a light windbreaker over it, and gloves I'm comfortable.

Extra battery was $45, and they charge pretty fast.
Posted By: 35 Re: Heated Jackets - 11/15/18
Last year I bought some old school Zippo hand warmers that we used to use in the 70`s & 80`s
Haven`t used em yet.
https://www.zippo.com/collections/hand-warmers
Posted By: joken2 Re: Heated Jackets - 11/15/18

Video with 24 Hour Campfire member 'shortactionsmoker' demonstrating the full insulated cold weather body suit from Whittaker's Guns.
(Click the "Not Now" option at the bottom of the 'pop-up'.)

https://www.facebook.com/whittakerguns/videos/256167438377457/
© 24hourcampfire