Home
Posted By: Blacktail53 .223 dies and no lube.... - 11/28/18
I’m in the market for a set of dies for my .223.
I’ve been loading, single stage RCBS, since the mid 60’s and the process I loath is lubing cases....

Does anyone make a carbide or other die that eliminates the lubing process?
I know the Lee Pro 1000 progressive press apparently works around that issue, some how.

I see Hornady has a titanium nitrate die for pistols..... anything out there I’m missing?
Thanks, in advance 👍
Dillon Precision has one.

https://www.dillonprecision.com/dillon-carbide-rifle-dies-individual-three-die-sets_8_4_24498.html
I grew up using the rcbs pine tar pad to lube cases. What a mess.

Hornady one shot spray lube is all I’ve used the last few years. Love it
Posted By: 12344mag Re: .223 dies an no lube.... - 11/28/18
Originally Posted by Blacktail53
I’ve been loading, single stage RCBS, since the mid 60’s and the process I loath is lubing cases....

I know the Lee Pro 1000 progressive press apparently works around that issue, some how.

I see Hornady has a titanium nitrate die for pistols..... anything out there I’m missing?
Thanks, in advance 👍

Use the Lee case sizing lube. Mix it with a bottle isopropyl alcohol shake well and put in a spray bottle, set your brass up in a load block and spray the cases well, let the alcohol evaporate and your ready to load. No cleanup involved either.

Originally Posted by Dillon
Lubrication is still required, but the increased scratch resistance and die longevity of carbide are of great benefit...
Posted By: stevelyn Re: .223 dies an no lube.... - 11/28/18
I only full-length resize once. After that it's neck sizing only with a carbide expander until the bolt starts closing hard.
Originally Posted by RiverRider

Originally Posted by Dillon
Lubrication is still required, but the increased scratch resistance and die longevity of carbide are of great benefit...

Thank you.
Posted By: Higginez Re: .223 dies an no lube.... - 11/28/18
I've got a Dillon Carbide size die and it's great, but I'd go Redding Type S FL and Lanolin/Alcohol lube sooner than buy another.
Higbean, do you find lubing the brass to be necessary using those dies?
Try Imperial sizing wax. I think Redding owns it now.
One swipe across the can is enough to mine 4 or 5 cases.
If you can tell it is on your finger by the lubrication against the case, you have enough.
If you start to get too cheap with it, you will feel increased resistance in the press.
But, it increases gradually, no suddenly stuck case.

Used as above, there is no buildup, and it's the only lube my dumbass doesn't dent shoulders with.

It wipes off easy, and seems to somewhat protect cases from corrosion.
Posted By: 284LUVR Re: .223 dies an no lube.... - 11/28/18

Thanks, in advance 👍

How many rounds will you be loading at a time Do you have a large tumbler?
Posted By: Higginez Re: .223 dies an no lube.... - 11/28/18
Higbean, do you find lubing the brass to be necessary using those dies?

I don't know if I'd say necessary, but a bit of lube just makes the 550 run a bunch smoother.

I have actually stuck a piece of brass in the carbide die not letting the One Shot sit long enough for the alcohol to vapor off.

I unseated the carbide piece removing it too, which was kinda cool.

Note to self....
Posted By: tedthorn Re: .223 dies an no lube.... - 11/28/18
I load several thousand .223 rounds each year.

Hornady one shot has never let me down.
Originally Posted by 284LUVR

Thanks, in advance 👍

How many rounds will you be loading at a time Do you have a large tumbler?

50-100 rounds at a time. I’m not a high volume shooter, nor am I using an autoloader.
Sounds like I’m going to be stuck with lubing.
Maybe use a full length die backed off to neck size or a type S collet die (which I know nothing about)....
Use full length as needed. A tumbler to clean case after sizing......
Posted By: 700LH Re: .223 dies an no lube.... - 11/28/18
Originally Posted by tedthorn

Yep, put a hundred or so in a quart Ziploc, spray, zip shut, tumble by hand for bit, then dump them out and let dry for a minute or two.
I also will have some Imperial wax and tap a finger on it every now and them.
Dipping one now and then into Imperial case neck lube graphite will ease lifting the press handle and slow case lengthening
50- 100 cases can be cleaned quickly with paper towels.

Lubing ? Cut some 3 X 3 inch flannel patches 6-8 or use GI patches if you have some. Apply a goodly amount of lube to patches and toss them into a big covered bowl or a shoe box with your brass and shake the heck out of them for a minute or two.

Press handle will almost fall down and your fingers are clean as a whistle.
I use bushing neck dies and graphite......Redding sells a little container with graphite and small ceramic bb's to keep it mixed up.
Just dip the neck in as you go.
Every 5-6 reloads I FL size...for that I rub a little Imperial wax on the body and dip the neck in graphite as I go.
Wipe the cases off with a rag when you're done.
[ type S collet die.

I think you mean this.

https://www.redding-reloading.com/online-catalog/118-type-s-bushing-dies

Segregate brass by manufacturer
Posted By: kwg020 Re: .223 dies an no lube.... - 11/28/18

Thanks, in advance 👍

I don't know of a carbide die for .223. I lube my .223 cases with the RCBS glycerin lube. I put 200 cases in a plastic gallon bag and put in a small amount of glycerin lube. I then stir the bag around to spread the lube. If I have time I do it 24 hours before I resize and the lube will creep over the brass that didn't get lube placed on it. If I don't have 24 hours it takes a little more lube but I stir the brass around in the bag to get it all covered.

I stopped using the pad years ago and started using the plastic gallon bag. I even keep the bag since it has some lube in it for the next time I want to resize some brass. I put the bag in a plastic jar that is air tight. After resizing the brass I spray it with some window cleaner in a plastic coffee can and rinse it in hot water about 5 minutes later. This cleans up the brass nicely. Separate out the brass from the water and let it dry. I have an old metal coffee can and I put the can on a small oil heater and let it dry over night. In the summer I put the brass in a plastic coffee can and let it set outside in the sun.

kwg
Originally Posted by kwg020

I don't know of a carbide die for .223. I lube my .223 cases with the RCBS glycerin lube. I put 200 cases in a plastic gallon bag and put in a small amount of glycerin lube. I then stir the bag around to spread the lube. If I have time I do it 24 hours before I resize and the lube will creep over the brass that didn't get lube placed on it. If I don't have 24 hours it takes a little more lube but I stir the brass around in the bag to get it all covered.

I stopped using the pad years ago and started using the plastic gallon bag. I even keep the bag since it has some lube in it for the next time I want to resize some brass. I put the bag in a plastic jar that is air tight. After resizing the brass I spray it with some window cleaner in a plastic coffee can and rinse it in hot water about 5 minutes later. This cleans up the brass nicely. Separate out the brass from the water and let it dry. I have an old metal coffee can and I put the can on a small oil heater and let it dry over night. In the summer I put the brass in a plastic coffee can and let it set outside in the sun.

Smart man. More than one way to skin a cat.
Posted By: Lennie Re: .223 dies an no lube.... - 11/28/18

A second vote. Spray and let dry on the cases. I use a carbide expander ball to eliminate need to lube inside of case necks. in last 24 months, I have reloaded over 12,000 5.56/.223 rounds.
Lee collet die in a Dillon 550 is all I use for loading 223s, no lube, and fast.
I’m learning a lot from you guys!

I’ve been using the same home made lube that my elk hunting mentor made for me over 30 years ago. I believe it may have some lanolin in it. Anyway it’s worked really well, but I like the idea of using a plastic bag to tumble/lube the cases - quick and easy!
I’ve always cleaned the lube off the cases with a shop rag and lighter fluid - probably the most tedious job of all.

So, no magic die..... I believe I’ll buy a tumbler, a set of standard dies and go to work.

I’ve always cleaned the lube off the cases with a shop rag and lighter fluid - probably the most tedious job of all.

This !!!!!

Leaves ZERO residue. Available at WM and most auto supply

https://www.amazon.com/Berkebile-Oil-B101-Instant-Cutter/dp/B000CII6JM
What gun ?
Posted By: R_H_Clark Re: .223 dies an no lube.... - 11/28/18
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
If you can tell it is on your finger by the lubrication against the case, you have enough.
If you start to get too cheap with it, you will feel increased resistance in the press.

Used as above, there is no buildup, and it's the only lube my dumbass doesn't dent shoulders with.

X2
I apply it with my thumb and forefinger while I look the case over. Just a tiny amount is necessary and there's no mess.
Posted By: kwg020 Re: .223 dies an no lube.... - 11/28/18
Originally Posted by Castle_Rock
Lee collet die in a Dillon 550 is all I use for loading 223s, no lube, and fast.

Are you resizing the neck only or are you full length resizing ??

kwg
Posted By: Burleyboy Re: .223 dies an no lube.... - 11/28/18
I use imperial and or one shot. I've stuck more cases with one shot than anything but I still use it a lot for convenience. I've never stuck one with imperial.

Bb
Originally Posted by 284LUVR
What gun ?

Garden variety Ruger American Rifle, 1/8 twist, 3x9 Leupold.
It’s a truck gun, walking varminter and something to train new or young shooters with.
Got the trigger down to 2.5# and so far it’s proven to be pretty accurate.

So obviously I’m not trying to put up competition loads, just decent ammo that’s reasonably accurate and tailored to task.
Cool. Have a ton of fun. smile
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark

X2
I apply it with my thumb and forefinger while I look the case over. Just a tiny amount is necessary and there's no mess.

That's what I do.
Lube on left pointer and thumb, it picks up the case by the neck.
Right hand spins the case as you move tower the base. (Sounds dirty, now)
Then right puts it in the shellholder.
Lubing literally takes 0 time.
Posted By: Cinch Re: .223 dies an no lube.... - 11/28/18

This exactly...
Easy and quick lube removal: use an old pillow case, large sock, or bag or whatever. Put your brass in it and pour a bit of 91% rubbing alcohol on it, then knead all the brass around in it. Takes it all right off, and pronto. No mess, no fuss.
I use a food dehydrator to dry wet brass, works great!
Originally Posted by kwg020
Originally Posted by Castle_Rock

Are you resizing the neck only or are you full length resizing ??

kwg

Yep, i hardly ever fls anything.
Posted By: rickt300 Re: .223 dies an no lube.... - 11/29/18
I roll the cases on a ink pad with transmission fluid on it. Wipe the insides of the case neck with a piece of armorall wipe on a cleaning rod tip. Then size and wipe off before putting it in the loading block.
Originally Posted by rickt300
I roll the cases on a ink pad with transmission fluid on it. Wipe the insides of the case neck with a piece of armorall wipe on a cleaning rod tip. Then size and wipe off before putting it in the loading block.

I use my finger. A little Hornady paste lube does it.
Lee collet neck sizer only.

P
Posted By: m1919 Re: .223 dies an no lube.... - 11/29/18
One Shot and done.....for Hornet to the big fiddy...
Posted By: 284LUVR Re: .223 dies an no lube.... - 11/29/18
Thinkin' a bump / bushing die might work well for his bolt gun. FL when bolt gets a little tight
Posted By: deflave Re: .223 dies an no lube.... - 11/29/18
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark

X2

Read the OP you numbskulls.

To the OP,

One Shot or buy a neck die. Don’t be surprised if you never have to bump a shoulder in your lifetime.
Originally Posted by deflave

To the OP,

One Shot or buy a neck die. Don’t be surprised if you never have to bump a shoulder in your lifetime.

So deflate, maybe just partial size with a fl die - if I ever decide I need to fl size I’m set to go........
I think I’m all set.
Posted By: deflave Re: .223 dies an no lube.... - 11/29/18
I have found partial sizing to still require lube. A true neck sizer does not.

Although if you had a can of One Shot and fired it into the die every 10 or so you could probably get by fine.
Originally Posted by deflave
I have found partial sizing to still require lube. A true neck sizer does not.

OK, there’s the answer I’ve been looking for. If I use a neck sizing die, I won’t need to lube the case!
If so, that’s the way I’ll roll....

They’re for a bolt gun and my use only, so that should work fine.
I can run them through a fl die if they start to get difficult.
Posted By: deflave Re: .223 dies an no lube.... - 11/30/18
Yes. You’ll be fine doing that.

But I doubt you’ll ever need to use a FL die. I have fired cases for years by only neck sizing. They’ll usually split before needing to be bumped. Steve Timm used to write about doing same.
Posted By: bbassi Re: .223 dies an no lube.... - 11/30/18
Try the Lee collet die. It took me years but I'm a big fan now.
Originally Posted by bbassi

I just checked them out. Watched several videos and I’m sold.
I’ll find or order a set tomorrow.

Thanks to all 👍

Thanks to all 👍

Read this, mathman was originally responding to my question:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/13208893

P
Easy and quick lube removal: use an old pillow case, large sock, or bag or whatever. Put your brass in it and pour a bit of 91% rubbing alcohol on it, then knead all the brass around in it. Takes it all right off, and pronto. No mess, no fuss.

Tried many ways to clean lube from brass over the last forty years. This is the absolute easiest, cleanest, cheapest, and fastest. I keep a couple of pints of rubbing alcohol close to the bench at all times. Look for the highest percentage isopropal in the pharmacy.

Instead of a sock, I use old white T shirts. Pour a puddle of alcohol in the center of the fabric,grab a fistful of brass, roll them around, and rub them a bit, then drop the brass into a container to be primed. A pint of alcohol will degrease thousands of cases and dries very quickly.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller

Thanks to all 👍

Read this, mathman was originally responding to my question:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/13208893

P

I made a copy - Thank You 👍
Another vote for the Lee collet die. It is a must for my Ruger #1V for the best accuracy and not needing to lube is a side benefit. Note this will not work with autoloaders. For that I use a small base die and One Shot.
© 24hourcampfire