Home
Posted By: AnsonRogers Metric system in the US - 12/03/18
Why didn't we go full mandatory metric and should we? I wish we had done it years ago. It would be second nature by now.

What say ye? Only three countries don't fully use the metric system in the world, US, Burma and Liberia. We are not in very good company.
It wouldn’t be hard to change.

You’d be surprised how many folks can’t read a tape measure.
Fractions give them the blues.
Posted By: RufusG Re: Metric system in the US - 12/03/18
Not much action, just the lyrics...
Posted By: 1minute Re: Metric system in the US - 12/03/18
Would sure help us on the world market.
I use it all the time...for work. The main reason I see for not using it in the US, generally, is a kilometer isn't big enough in a country the size of the US. It just doesn't make sense.
Some things just wouldn't sound the same in metric. That's for sure. I like the song.

One other detriment is that it was invented by the French. Other than helping us in the Revolutionary War, they have been a pain in the ass.
Posted By: shrapnel Re: Metric system in the US - 12/03/18

Railroads, interstates and the greatest country in the world were built on the scale of feet, miles and inches, we don’t need no metric system...
Posted By: luv2safari Re: Metric system in the US - 12/03/18
Damn Straight!

Most of my combo guns' rifle barrels are chambered .318" X 2.244094". My favorite is a 0.2755906" X 2.559055" R.
Posted By: Goosey Re: Metric system in the US - 12/03/18
It's already in motion. People are dumping their .308s for 6.5s as fast as they can. Metric is the future.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Metric system in the US - 12/03/18
Works ok for stuff like plywood, 2x4s, lug nuts, gravel and beer

that's all we need....right??

Posted By: 1minute Re: Metric system in the US - 12/03/18
Some things just wouldn't sound the same in metric.

That's quite true, like I'd not touch that with a 3.048 meter pole.
Posted By: zeissman Re: Metric system in the US - 12/03/18
Originally Posted by shrapnel

Railroads, interstates and the greatest country in the world were built on the scale of feet, miles and inches, we don’t need no metric system...

That's real intelligent, seeing as you have a metric currency.
Originally Posted by slumlord

Not Quite...

38-22-36... laugh
[Linked Image]

965.2 - 558.8 - 914.4 confused It just loses something in translation. frown
Originally Posted by zeissman

Last I heard, New Zealand wasn't a world power...
Posted By: JMR40 Re: Metric system in the US - 12/03/18
Right now about 1/2 of the things I use daily are in metric measurement anyway. Would just be simpler to have changed. When I was in HS we were told the change was coming and I learned to work with both systems. Metric really is easier.

You’d be surprised how many folks can’t read a tape measure.
Fractions give them the blues.

I wouldn't be surprised at all. And that is probably the best argument for going metric. It is much easier to work with.

A humorous story:

The park supervisor at one of our state parks had a gentleman come into his office to report that his elderly wife had fallen on a park trail, had injured her leg and needed to be carried out. Trying to get some idea of how much help he'd need he asked the gentleman about how much his wife weighed. He replied, "about 100". Thinking 100 lbs he only got one other person to assist him as they got a basket and other first aid gear. It turns out the couple were visiting from Germany and his wife weighed about 100 kg. Or closer to 220 lbs.
Posted By: Dess Re: Metric system in the US - 12/03/18
Originally Posted by 1minute

Denver would be the 1,609.344 meter city. (Not that anyone wants to live in Colorado any more)
Posted By: Dutch Re: Metric system in the US - 12/03/18
For volume, I really do prefer metric. Gallons, cubic feet, cubic yard, acre feet ------ there's just no rhyme or reason. Metric has some great equivalencies; a cubic meter of water is a (metric) ton. That's handy. But a .3L beer or a 12 oz can? Well, 12 oz is bigger, so that's obviously better.

For distance, I couldn't give a rip. Inches and feet work great in timber construction, and I definitely prefer it to metric. Never could cut a 2x4 to the exact millimeter. Miles and feet work fine on the road -- and there's inherent beauty in the "mile a minute" concept in estimating the time of arrival.

For temperature -- metric all the way. 0 makes sense, body temperature is a whole degree, and 100 makes sense.

Now, all we need is metric time......
Originally Posted by urbaneruralite
I use it all the time...for work. The main reason I see for not using it in the US, generally, is a kilometer isn't big enough in a country the size of the US. It just doesn't make sense.

Russia is a lot larger than the US and they use it. It's just larger numbers.
Originally Posted by Dutch
For volume, I really do prefer metric. Gallons, cubic feet, cubic yard, acre feet ------ there's just no rhyme or reason. Metric has some great equivalencies; a cubic meter of water is a (metric) ton. That's handy. But a .3L beer or a 12 oz can? Well, 12 oz is bigger, so that's obviously better.

For distance, I couldn't give a rip. Inches and feet work great in timber construction, and I definitely prefer it to metric. Never could cut a 2x4 to the exact millimeter. Miles and feet work fine on the road -- and there's inherent beauty in the "mile a minute" concept in estimating the time of arrival.

For temperature -- metric all the way. 0 makes sense, body temperature is a whole degree, and 100 makes sense.

It's now 0.7291666 o'clock.
Or...Beer-thirty...
Posted By: BobMt Re: Metric system in the US - 12/03/18

you are an ugly American...…………………………………………………………….but I agree...….bob
If we end up fighting the Russians we may have no choice but to switch. Their navy uses gradians vs. degrees, so if they steer anything between 360 and 399 we can't follow them.
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: Metric system in the US - 12/03/18
Originally Posted by AnsonRogers
Why didn't we go full mandatory metric and should we? I wish we had done it years ago. It would be second nature by now.

What say ye? Only three countries don't fully use the metric system in the world, US, Burma and Liberia. We are not in very good company.

You must be a liberal Snowflake. Why do we need to emulate any other country?
Posted By: LeroyBeans Re: Metric system in the US - 12/03/18

The kilometer just just fine for measuring the distance to the Moon or Mars. I works fine in China and Russia. How does it fail in the US by being too small?

Crazy.
Posted By: LeroyBeans Re: Metric system in the US - 12/03/18
Originally Posted by luv2safari
Originally Posted by slumlord

Not Quite...

38-22-36... laugh
[Linked Image]

965.2 - 558.8 - 914.4 confused It just loses something in translation. frown

The only valid reason I've ever seen for this issue... smile
Posted By: gregintenn Re: Metric system in the US - 12/03/18
I build roads for a living. Back about 20 years ago, we were informed the U.S. was changing to metric. We had metric plans and everything. It was quite the disaster. One hurdle I recall was the cost to replace all the road signs in the country. Short of that, I don't recall hearing exactly why that plan was scrapped.
Posted By: 21 Re: Metric system in the US - 12/03/18
There are two types of countries in the world, the one that put a man on the moon, and those that use the metric system.
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Metric system in the US - 12/03/18
Originally Posted by Reloder28

You must be a liberal Snowflake. Why do we need to emulate any other country?

I don't know if he's a commie but I do know the metric system is just one more step in the commies one world order and a way for the US to lose a little more of it's identity.

One of those three countries put a man on the moon, no country on the metric system has done that.

Carter tried to get us to switch to the metric system and he screwed up everything he touched, that's enough reason right there.

It's just a straight conversion to go from metric to imperial so it's an easy way to spot the dumbasses that can't switch between the two.
Posted By: Cretch Re: Metric system in the US - 12/03/18
Think about how it would change building construction. As far as I know all building material currently such as lumber, drywall, plywood and such is bases on frame work of 16 and 24 inch center. What sizes do they use for construction in the metric world?
Originally Posted by Crow hunter

One of those three countries put a man on the moon, no country on the metric system has done that.

Carter tried to get us to switch to the metric system and he screwed up everything he touched, that's enough reason right there.

It's just a straight conversion to go from metric to imperial so it's an easy way to spot the dumbasses that can't switch between the two.

And if you can't read a tape measure you're a fuggin' retard and should pay someone to do your work for you.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Metric system in the US - 12/03/18
Originally Posted by Dutch

Dutch,

I once worked in a job that required us to use milliliters or grams (depending on the substance of course) per gallons per minute flow. That made sense, eh?

Honestly, for me it's no big deal. I already use a decimal system for money, a sexigesimal (base 60) system for time and compass work, tire sizes are all friggen mixed up, and perhaps most importantly for Homer Simpson, a duodecimal (base 12) system for eggs and donuts and BEER.

Reloading might be nicer too with a decimal system too.

I think someone needs to come down from the sky (Heaven?) and straighten this crapola out. One system would sure be nice.

Geno

PS, for baking/cooking it sure would be nice to not have to use teaspoons, tablespoons, cups and fractions thereof (liquid and dry), and the infamous "pinch" and "dash" . Some grandmas' recipes might even include that precise measurement the smidgeon.
Originally Posted by 12344mag
Originally Posted by Crow hunter

And if you can't read a tape measure you're a fuggin' retard and should pay someone to do your work for you.

Nobody knows how to do fractions anymore...add, subtract, multiply, divide...It's all some sort of secret code to them. It went the way of cursive writing and learning history and geography.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Metric system in the US - 12/03/18

AMEN!
Posted By: Brazos Re: Metric system in the US - 12/03/18

Actually, railroads and interstates were built on feet, tenths, and hundredths of a foot. Decimal feet, a damned good system...
Posted By: Springcove Re: Metric system in the US - 12/03/18
What shrapnel said!!!
Posted By: 700LH Re: Metric system in the US - 12/03/18
Originally Posted by 5sdad

AMEN!

The rest of the world should follow the leader
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Metric system in the US - 12/03/18
When I was in grade school I remember the teachers telling us we would be on the metric system by high school. I started 1st grade in 1980. Ain’t happened yet (metric conversion. Lol).

Correct, but what's that got to do with your metric currency?
Posted By: dassa Re: Metric system in the US - 12/03/18

No kidding! If we switched, we might become the world's largest economy.

No kidding! If we switched, we might become the world's largest economy.

+1
Posted By: kkahmann Re: Metric system in the US - 12/03/18
Canada tried to go full metric in 1975–why was that? Because our largest trading partner announced that it was going full metric by 1980. I tried to tell the local politicians that it was never going to happen. I told them cattle ranchers out west sold their beef by the hundred wieght—and Midwest farmers sold corn at 56lbs per bushel and even the West Virginia coal miners sold coal in long tons not metric.
I’ve had to live for the last 40years under both systems—the hardest thing to get used to was temperatures—what the hell is 12C anyway.
The way I do it is to double the 12 to 24 and add 32 to it = 56 F —not exactly but close enough.
Posted By: kkahmann Re: Metric system in the US - 12/03/18
Gas mileage under the metric system is really screwed—not miles per gallon but how many litres per 100 klicks driven.

Correct, but what's that got to do with your metric currency?

Metric is based on a unit of measurement, dollars are based on cents (a derivative of century) not based on 39.38 inches...
Originally Posted by 21
There are two types of countries in the world, the one that put a man on the moon, and those that use the metric system.

You think NASA scientists wouldn't have used the metric system in their calculations? grin I suppose the Russkies wouldn't have used the metric system either to put the first man into space.

Nothing to fear, the metric system is simplicity itself. Mind you, when I catch an 8lb rainbow trout it's sounds a lot better than saying it weighs 3.6827Kg.

....Metric is based on a unit of measurement, dollars are based on cents (a derivative of century) not based on 39.38 inches...

Good point shrapnel.

Posted By: BGunn Re: Metric system in the US - 12/03/18
Originally Posted by 21

THERE YA GO !!

Bob’s your Uncle ......

But Shrapnel’s ours !!
Posted By: DHN Re: Metric system in the US - 12/03/18
Learning our system vs. metric forces the brain to work harder. I wonder if anyone has done research to find out if this lead to slightly better brain development, or helps with thinking outside the box? It could be part of the reason why the U.S. lead the world in invention and industrial development.

You think NASA scientists wouldn't have used the metric system in their calculations?

Curious, do we actually know NASA used English units? Werner von Braun and company certainly would have been comfy with metric.
Try running a time-on-target air assault, ground speed in nautical miles per hour and distance in kilometers.

The instruments in a Blackhawk for systems had temps in Celsius and pressure in PSI.

I now understand temp in Celsius, only because it was used in performance planning.

After awhile, its all just numbers that your brain deciphers. We could have made the change years ago.

I am glad we didnt, chrono readings just are not as impressive in meters per second.
Posted By: IndyCA35 Re: Metric system in the US - 12/03/18
Seems to me we should go metric because we're already half and half, which is more difficult. The Army uses clicks. Bullets are 5.56mm, not .223 inches. Mortars are 81mm. Liquor comes in 750ml bottles. Don't know about the moon program in 1969 but space calculations are mostly metric now.
Posted By: rainshot Re: Metric system in the US - 12/03/18
Metric makes sense for electronics or any other time you are using huge numbers. In machining not so much. I can convert and do just fine but just try to find metric nuts, bolts or tooling anywhere around here and you'll end up as nuts as Nancy Pelosi. Even threading on a metric lathe is a pita.

As for cartridges everything is crazy because some are designated by bore diameter and some are designated by groove diameter. Even the metric countries suffer. Go ahead and try to chamber a 9mm Makarov in a 9mm Luger. For many years now we have existed just fine with the imperial system here and we can produce anything we are required to to whatever tolerance required. Metric countries are not so capable. Metric equivalent imperial bolts and nuts are hit and miss. A metric bolt from China may or may not fit a metric nut from Japan or UK. Before WWII Britton and Germany were Whitworth and that's another story.
I build roads for a living. Back about 20 years ago, we were informed the U.S. was changing to metric. We had metric plans and everything. It was quite the disaster. One hurdle I recall was the cost to replace all the road signs in the country. Short of that, I don't recall hearing exactly why that plan was scrapped.

I was a Survey Crew Chief back when Arkansas tried to convert. It was no problem (mostly) for surveying but the rumor that I heard was that they could not get the culvert and steel people to go along. At one time I had all of the stuff in my trucks to do a survey either way, foot or metric, plus inch tapes for bridge widening jobs. On a bridge widening, you had to measure the existing bridge in inches so they could compare the old plans to the "as built" measurement. Most of my crew had trouble using the inch tapes as they had used tenth tapes for years and been told that only whores and carpenters uses inches. Try getting all the measurements to come out to the same as EDM shot distances and trying to find the bad measurement when it don't. miles
I think someone needs to come down from the sky (Heaven?) and straighten this crapola out. One system would sure be nice.

Since I retired, I only have one. smile miles
What shrapnel said!!!

Nope, What Brazos said. miles
Posted By: hanco Re: Metric system in the US - 12/03/18
It’s just numbers. Shooting elevations is in hundredths, like 3” equals .25. 6”equals .50 9” equals .75. No big deal once you get over not liking it. It’s easier really!
No one who knows me would consider me either a "liberal snowflake" or a "commie". That is a stretch.
Posted By: saskfox Re: Metric system in the US - 12/03/18
Don't go metric like we did in 1977. Trudope #1 wanted us to be like France. Cost billions every sign scale and so on has to be changed. Still causes a lot of confusion. Most people still talk and use imperial measure. Country was surveyed in miles same as United States. I remember the debate United States had about going metric several years ago. Thank goodness you were smart enough to stay Imperial. It was forced on us. I'm a farmer do you know how much it pizzez me off when every chemical label is in metric and french ? EVERYONE converts that metric BS back to imperial even the young farmers.
Originally Posted by Cretch
Think about how it would change building construction. As far as I know all building material currently such as lumber, drywall, plywood and such is bases on frame work of 16 and 24 inch center. What sizes do they use for construction in the metric world?

That's whats done here. 2x4 and 4x8 sheets of plywood. F metric

Not trying to be disrepectful but that's not the case
Originally Posted by milespatton
What shrapnel said!!!

Nope, What Brazos said. miles

You have to make up your mind. First you say you should have one system, which you then say is miles, then you say to listen what Brazos said. Brazos referred to using the measurement of a foot, not a meter. You can't have it both ways...

Originally Posted by milespatton

Since I retired, I only have one. smile miles
https://m.imgur.com/gallery/bHA8OOQ
Posted By: PJGunner Re: Metric system in the US - 12/03/18
Dunno if there are any others but I-19 from Tucson to Nogales Arizona is signed in metric. They wanted to keep the Mexicans happy I guess. Near as I can tell I-19 begins in Tucson and ends at Nogales for whatever that;s worth. You go to my local Walmart and probably half of Nogales Sonora are there shopping. Gets a bit interesting at times.
Paul B.
Posted By: Hudge Re: Metric system in the US - 12/03/18
I always found it funny that the military uses metric system for their weather forecasts, but standard (statue miles)for weather observations when stateside. Civilian sector is all standard measurement in the US. Working as a contractor now, we used meters, but our Eastern European military that work with us, all want to used kilometers for everything.
Posted By: BlueDuck Re: Metric system in the US - 12/03/18
We going to change our language too?

Well, heck, if the Russians do it, we should to.

First, we'll starve 20-30 million of our own citizens...
Posted By: BeanMan Re: Metric system in the US - 12/03/18
What system is a [bleep] hair under?
K u n t hair?
Posted By: Jerryv Re: Metric system in the US - 12/03/18

That's pretty funny when you dig into it a little:

http://www.us-metric.org/origin-of-the-metric-system/

Since 1893, the internationally adopted metric standards have served as the fundamental measurement standards of the United States. Our non-metric units have been defined in terms of these metric standards ever since.

Jerry
Thomas Jefferson was an early proponent of the metric system but let cost nix it. Here's some interesting info. Reference to Jefferson on page two.

https://science.howstuffworks.com/why-us-not-on-metric-system.htm

Originally Posted by Theo Gallus

Well, heck, if the Russians do it, we should to.

First, we'll starve 20-30 million of our own citizens...

That is a good point.......Should we start with the cities or just registered Democrats?
Posted By: Redneck Re: Metric system in the US - 12/03/18

I don't care.. I positively HATE metric..
Originally Posted by Jerryv

Since 1893, the internationally adopted metric standards have served as the fundamental measurement standards of the United States. Our non-metric units have been defined in terms of these metric standards ever since.

Jerry

I have to agree, that is funny. It seems to me that all the distances I see on roads are miles, all building materials are in feet and inches, annual rainfall is measured and recorded in feet and inches, altitude is measured by feet or miles, the amount of water in a lake is measured by acre/feet...on and on

I would guess, you get your measurements and information from people that drive Subarus and Volvos...
Posted By: Cretch Re: Metric system in the US - 12/03/18
Originally Posted by BeanMan
What system is a [bleep] hair under?
K u n t hair?

That's a little too vague. Be more specific. Red? Blond? Brown?
Then you need to do a conversion to knat's azz.
Posted By: saddlesore Re: Metric system in the US - 12/03/18
I don't want to push 1 for English on the phone or change to metrics to suit other countries
Originally Posted by saddlesore
I don't want to push 1 for English on the phone or change to metrics to suit other countries

If this is what the country wanted they should have said so when the use of metric was proposed. Initially the US said they would adopt metric then reneged a short time later. The inability to keep your word is one reason the US is distrusted by much of the world. Flame away.

Jim
Posted By: Oakster Re: Metric system in the US - 12/03/18
Originally Posted by Dess

Denver would be the 1,609.344 meter city. (Not that anyone wants to live in Colorado any more)

Now that is HIGH
Originally Posted by Brazos

Actually, railroads and interstates were built on feet, tenths, and hundredths of a foot. Decimal feet, a damned good system...

Exactly right... no inches used.

We turned the foot into the metric system and made base 10
Building materials is probably one of the hardest parts of the conversion. Plywood sheeting is currently 4x8. Metric dimensions dont fit that easily. If we go metric, we have to build the odd ball stuff that allows us to match what is in use everywhere else already, and build new sizes so that eventually the old stuff will be phased out. Pipe culverts for roadways... a 36" diameter culvert would not match up to a 1 meter culvert, so we would have to produce both... which is expensive, duplicates machinery and storage space etc. Its too expensive to make the switch, not to mention how confusing it would be for this generation as we suffer through all of the things not fitting right when repairs need to be made to things.

The metric system is very nice and we would all like it if we could start over that way. One of the nicest is the simple conversions from units of volume to units of weight (using water) etc. Its a better system than we are using now.
How many remember the old song "I love you a bushel and a peck, a bushel and a peck and a hug around the neck"? I'll bet Wabigoon does.

Now consider that a bushel of corn weighs 56 pounds while a bushel of wheat or soybeans weighs 60 pounds.

How confusing is that?
Posted By: Jerryv Re: Metric system in the US - 12/03/18
Originally Posted by Jerryv

Jerry

I have to agree, that is funny. It seems to me that all the distances I see on roads are miles, all building materials are in feet and inches, annual rainfall is measured and recorded in feet and inches, altitude is measured by feet or miles, the amount of water in a lake is measured by acre/feet...on and on

I would guess, you get your measurements and information from people that drive Subarus and Volvos...

If you want some more humor, look up the definition of a mile:

https://www.britannica.com/science/mile

It started as a thousand paces, but changed a few times over the centuries.

Or an acre: the area of a piece of land that could be plowed in one day with a yoke of oxen and a wooden plow.

I do know someone who drives a Volvo, but he is a salesman so you can't believe anything he says. laugh

Jerry
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Metric system in the US - 12/03/18
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
Seems to me we should go metric because we're already half and half, which is more difficult. The Army uses clicks. Bullets are 5.56mm, not .223 inches. Mortars are 81mm. Liquor comes in 750ml bottles. Don't know about the moon program in 1969 but space calculations are mostly metric now.

Used to come in fifths. You're getting gypped out of 7.08236 mL nowadays. grin

Geno
Posted By: Redneck Re: Metric system in the US - 12/03/18
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Bingo!!!!

Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by IndyCA35

Used to come in fifths. You're getting gypped out of 7.08236 mL nowadays. grin
Touche...... laugh
Originally Posted by Oakster

No matter how you slice it, a foot is not any part of the metric system, it is 12 inches...
Posted By: kennyd Re: Metric system in the US - 12/03/18
Use feet for lumber, common measurments we use. Go decimal for precision stuff. It is hard to get people to change on small stuff. Autos are retooled all the time so things can change easily. My brother worked auto body, and for a couple years Cadillac was metric on one side and American on the other until they used up all the screws.

40 years ago I worked in a gear shop. We made 11 1/2 and 14 1/2 degree gears as much as 20 degree. 11.5 was absolete after WW1, 14.5 was supposed to be phased out during WW2, we still make them and use them.
Posted By: Redneck Re: Metric system in the US - 12/04/18

No matter how you slice it, a foot is not any part of the metric system, it is 12 inches...
Damn STRAIGHT!! Thank you.
Our U.S. system of measurement is another way we differentiate ourselves from the rest of the world. It is another small way to keep our sovereignty. Our rebellion made us different and we need to keep it that way.
Posted By: dingo Re: Metric system in the US - 12/04/18

Australia converted to metric back in the mid 60's, yet if you buy wheels for a car it's still the old system, ie, 17x8 or 16x7. Go figure! Even with shooters velocity is still referred to in fps as opposed to m/s.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Metric system in the US - 12/04/18
The bugger is having two systems.
Posted By: rainshot Re: Metric system in the US - 12/04/18
It all boils down to decimals. You are going to deal with decimals with either metric or imperial. It would be catastrophic to change our entire country to metric and pretty stupid just to appease the other countries that chose metric. By the way how is plywood and lumber bought and used in metric countries? We can get along fine in machining with conversions. Both systems have precise standards so what's the beef?
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Metric system in the US - 12/04/18
Fugg a bunch of Metric, and the EU too while we're at it.
Posted By: shrapnel Re: Metric system in the US - 12/04/18

The Brits also had another measurement system called "Whitworth". Try and work on one of these cars with a metric or SAE set of tools...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Jerryv Re: Metric system in the US - 12/04/18

The Brits also had another measurement system called "Whitworth". Try and work on one of these cars with a metric or SAE set of tools...

[Linked Image]

Never had to work on anything "Whitworth". Looking it up, I saw this on Wiki:

British Morris and MG engines from 1923 to 1955 were built using metric threads but with bolt heads and nuts dimensioned for Whitworth spanners and sockets.[9] In 1919 Morris Motors took over the French Hotchkiss engine works which had moved to Coventry during the First World War. The Hotchkiss machine tools were of metric thread but metric spanners were not readily available in Britain at the time, so fasteners were made with metric thread but Whitworth heads. [10]

Is that true? What a cluster f###.

Jerry
Posted By: dan_oz Re: Metric system in the US - 12/04/18
I was a kid when metrication came to Australia. Predictions of catastrophe were not borne out.
Posted By: dan_oz Re: Metric system in the US - 12/04/18

Actually, the US uses two different versions of the foot: the "international foot" and the "survey foot". They aren't quite the same, but each is, as a matter of US law, defined by reference to the metre.
Posted By: mtnsnake Re: Metric system in the US - 12/04/18
We don’t need no metric system in the USA.
Posted By: shrapnel Re: Metric system in the US - 12/05/18
Originally Posted by dan_oz

Actually, the US uses two different versions of the foot: the "international foot" and the "survey foot". They aren't quite the same, but each is, as a matter of US law, defined by reference to the metre.

Keep it up you commies, you may have yourself convinced that feet, inches, yards, miles and American units of measure are metric, but you are wrong and need to go to Europe if you want the metric system so bad...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: PSE Re: Metric system in the US - 12/05/18
I was a young lad when Canada went to metric and even today I think of some things in metric and some still in imperial.

Weight - Pounds and ounces and grains (I'm 180 lbs)
Height - feet and inches (I'm 5' 6 1/2")
Distance - Kilometers and meters except when sighting in hunting rifles or measuring group sizes then it's in yards and inches
Temperature - always as metric Celcius
Pressure - always in pounds per square inch
Land measurement - always in Acres
Speed - Always in Kilometers per hour
Volume - mostly in liters - except when talking about 45 gal drums and 5 gallon pails
Fuel Economy - miles per gallon (U.S.)

Confused yet - so am I
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Metric system in the US - 12/05/18
Look folks, we have both systems. Like it, or not, we will have to live with it.
Posted By: blanket Re: Metric system in the US - 12/05/18
would rather have the money that's needed to convert the US to metric spent on the border wall
Posted By: Lorin Re: Metric system in the US - 12/05/18
If we were meant to use metric, we would have ten fingers. oh. wait.
© 24hourcampfire