Home
I have had a Cabelas club card for more years than I can remember. Never any problem. Just got a bill stating that my payment was one day late and am being charged $27.77. Called Capital one and explained I thought I had mailed it in time plus I had a family emergency. Basically I was told to pound sand. Told them where to stick the card in a nice way and canceled it. Had a feeling this kind of stuff would happen when they took over. When Cabelas had it any problems were resolved in a nice friendly manner.
I was pissed when Capital One took over. I have a balance that I need to pay off. I is going to take me a couple months. I got my new card in the mail and shredded it. (I heard somewhere that keeping a line of credit and not using it is better for your credit than closing the line. This may be false though.)
We had some issues with their recent switch when a $6 K+ check for our old account # was not credited. Got a bill that had the charge against our new account. Cookie got right on it, canceled the check and had a new one issued. Lost a lot of time, however, on hold with mechanized phone systems. Did not accrue any additional charges, though.

New card seems fully functional from NY to Ca.
I never had one, I have an American Depressed Card.
Originally Posted by coyote268
I have had a Cabelas club card for more years than I can remember. Never any problem. Just got a bill stating that my payment was one day late and am being charged $27.77. Called Capital one and explained I thought I had mailed it in time plus I had a family emergency. Basically I was told to pound sand. Told them where to stick the card in a nice way and canceled it. Had a feeling this kind of stuff would happen when they took over. When Cabelas had it any problems were resolved in a nice friendly manner.

So - you've done this sort of thing in the past and gotten away with it?
Love my AMEX blue cash preferred. Missed a payment one time and was hit with a $50 late fee plus what amounted to a couple hundred bucks worth of interest. Called and let them know I thought the payment was monday, but it was actualy sunday. Asked them to review my payment/usage history (we put everything on this card) and she not only waived my fees/interest, but credited my annual renewal fee which happened to fall in that month. Great customer service from them.

The cash back on that card more than pays for our christmas every year, and we have a big family! Never seen the draw to specific rewards cards. Would rather have the cash back.
I was planning on cancelling my Cabela's Master card as soon as I used all my Cabela's points. Last Thursday they offered free 2 day shipping so I ordered something using all my points. With the old Cabela's you got an email confirming your order as soon as you placed it but you don't with the new Cabela's. My package didn't show up in 2 days so I checked my order status on their website. It was projected to arrive Monday so I planned to stay home until the package arrived. I still hadn't gotten an email about my order so I figured I'd check the website again to sure it was out for delivery. I was unable to log in so I reset my password and tried again. Still couldn't log in so I called customer service and was told that they were unable to fix the log in problem (still can't log in today) but my package was out for delivery. My package did arrive yesterday so I will be cancelling my Cabela's account today. I got an emaiI TODAY that my package had shipped. I owe them $0.49 for my last order so I hope that doesn't cause them to panic.
I hate Capitol One - don’t know why, I just do.

I never carry a balance and always make sure it’s paid ahead of time.

I do see them moving my due date back and forth by a couple of days on occasions - I think they’re trying to trick me.

I don’t care for Bass Pro either, I think they’ll ruin my local Cabelas store.
I've found it best to just cut up cards rather than cancel them.

Cancelling a card can go as a mark on your credit history.
If Capitol One was supposed to send out new cards mine probably went in the trash as they've been sending me bi-monthly junk mail for years. I'll not bother to inquire.
No Freeme, the only problem in the past was being billed for something I didn't buy which they quickly took care of and apologized and gave me 100 points. I take exception to your post.
Originally Posted by Theeck
I was pissed when Capital One took over. I have a balance that I need to pay off. I is going to take me a couple months. I got my new card in the mail and shredded it. (I heard somewhere that keeping a line of credit and not using it is better for your credit than closing the line. This may be false though.)

Good way for identity thieves to cause you a headache
No Freeme, the only problem in the past was being billed for something I didn't buy which they quickly took care of and apologized and gave me 100 points. I take exception to your post.

Take all the exception you like. I think it's rather odd for someone to complain about being charged for a late payment as outlined in the card agreement - especially if they haven't had a history of receiving leniency for same in the past. But then, I wouldn't expect such leniency in the first place.

The vast majority of such credit problems are self-inflicted, IMO, and this appears as no exception.
A big part of your credit score is based on the ratio of credit available vs how much you owe. If you have 3-4 cards with a total of $30,000 of available credit, but only owe $1000 that looks good and will give you a good score. Cancel a card with $10,000 of credit and you now owe $1000 with only $20,000 of credit available. While still good, your FICO score will go down because of the ratios.

If you owe ZERO, or if you never actually use the cards and only have $2000 available credit, your score will be low enough that it could hurt you when trying to get a loan for a house of car. Banks aren't interested in the fact that you owe nothing. They want to see how well you can manage money and show discipline by using credit wisely. The guy who owes nothing may be a good risk, may be a bad risk. But to get credit at good rates you need to prove you are a good risk. Your FICO score is also used to determine insurance rates and many employers check it before hiring.
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
I've found it best to just cut up cards rather than cancel them.

Cancelling a card can go as a mark on your credit history.

Thanks, didn't know that.
Originally Posted by JMR40
A big part of your credit score is based on the ratio of credit available vs how much you owe. If you have 3-4 cards with a total of $30,000 of available credit, but only owe $1000 that looks good and will give you a good score. Cancel a card with $10,000 of credit and you now owe $1000 with only $20,000 of credit available. While still good, your FICO score will go down because of the ratios.

If you owe ZERO, or if you never actually use the cards and only have $2000 available credit, your score will be low enough that it could hurt you when trying to get a loan for a house of car. Banks aren't interested in the fact that you owe nothing. They want to see how well you can manage money and show discipline by using credit wisely. The guy who owes nothing may be a good risk, may be a bad risk. But to get credit at good rates you need to prove you are a good risk. Your FICO score is also used to determine insurance rates and many employers check it before hiring.

All good reasons to pay bills on time. Given what we all know about the USPS (as complained about in another thread today), that means you should mail your check - if that's how you choose to pay - early. Can't send the check early? That might be a clue.....

BTW - I pay all card balances in full every month, and my credit rating is very high.

Had the same thing happen on last month's statement. I called them and said I never carry a balance and always pay on time. I requested that they remove the fee and interest. They did. So I still have the card. Actually just used it today to buy a 10" gong they had on sale for 1/2 price w/ free shipping.
So, I guess that's the difference between claiming "family emergency " and claiming the mistake was theirs. Good move, Centershot.
Originally Posted by FreeMe

Take all the exception you like. I think it's rather odd for someone to complain about being charged for a late payment as outlined in the card agreement - especially if they haven't had a history of receiving leniency for same in the past. But then, I wouldn't expect such leniency in the first place.

The vast majority of such credit problems are self-inflicted, IMO, and this appears as no exception.

That’s what I was thinking. You pay late, you get a late payment. It’s not complicated.
FWIW, I tossed my new MC cabelas card in my gun safe, didn’t activate it. And don’t plan to activate it. Just seeing how long they let my old cabelas card run. I used it yesterday.
Go ahead and cancel it and let me know when you find the perfect credit card company that treats you like family........I want to know which one it is, because I've never found one so far that doesn't care if they get their money on time.
Originally Posted by tpcollins
I hate Capitol One - don’t know why, I just do..

I know why I do - they suspended my account multiple times while I was stationed in Europe - with no warning - and the amount didn't seem matter when triggered.

Can't tell you how many times I was checking out of an inn, a guasthauf, or the worst - Disneyland Paris - and "your card has been declined" - WTF???

Would have to call them direct, talk through two-three levels of fraud protection, then wait anywhere from minutes to hours for the card to re-activated.

We'd go through the whole military living overseas drill , from this month/year to this month/year with the account manager - "No problem sir, we'll note the account - this won't happen again." (I believed them the first two times)

What's in your wallet? Not Capital One anymore....
I got the shaft during the changeover as well. Mailed my check to Cabelas 2 weeks in advance. It never got cashed. Then my Capital One statement showed up and said I had a late fee for nonpayment. Called Capital One and explained that the check had gone to Cabelas Visa and never cashed. She put me on hold for like 15 minutes before coming back and telling me they were going to give me a one time waiver on the late fee even though it wasn't my fault. Totally pissed me off. Fearing that the original check was floating around somewhere I cancelled it, paid Capital One via online and two days later see where they tried to cash my original check that had been cancelled. Dumbest schtt I've ever seen in my life.

I've since moved all of my automatic charges ( car wash, Direct TV, gym memberships) over to the Ducks Unlimited Visa. I get more back on every purchase than I do Capital One and no annual fee. I have one more payment due on the balance of my Capital One and then I'm not using it anymore. Noting what's been posted above, I won't cancel the account, but the card is getting cut up for sure.
I have been with Capital for 30 years or longer( stated with a card they took over) have always been treated very well and have problems (if not mine) taken care of quickly so no compliant here. Cheers NC
I'm actually kind of surprised to see that people are still sending checks by mail.
Capital One sucks. Period.
I'm actually kind of surprised to see that people are still sending checks by mail.

I know! I'm kinda old school though.
Originally Posted by DubThomas

Not criticizing that. I'm old-school about some things too. But I like to see instant results, and I would have guessed more people are way ahead of me on that.
Well FreeMe, at 81 checks are the way I have always done it. Guess I'm afraid of being hacked or something like that. Just to set the record straight I have an excellent credit score, I feel I mailed the check in plenty of time to get there, and I feel you are assuming many things that are not true is why I resented your post and now you posts. Apparently I'm not as bright as you and don't have the answers for everything in life which you apparently do.
Well FreeMe, at 81 checks are the way I have always done it. Guess I'm afraid of being hacked or something like that. Just to set the record straight I have an excellent credit score, I feel I mailed the check in plenty of time to get there, and I feel you are assuming many things that are not true is why I resented your post and now you posts. Apparently I'm not as bright as you and don't have the answers for everything in life which you apparently do.

Didn't mean to hurt your feelings. But, you come here to complain, and you may likely get a male-type response. I thought it was just my wife and daughter who only wanted me to listen, but not give advice.

Going out on a limb here....just because you're old, doesn't mean you have to keep doing things the old way.
No Capital One use anymore at all never again. Long story short. Wife had a couple of instances of identity theft; one quite serious with the culprit filing IRS 1040 using her name and SS#. And got a refund paid by debit card. Thought everything had settled out when one day a new Capital One credit card shows up in the mail. Lucky, very lucky it came to us.

Capital One had issued a new card with her as the primary card holder at the request of someone identifying themselves as the secondary card holder. Obviously the card was intended by the thief to be mailed to him/her and we lucked out. Had quite a heated discussion with Capital One. Still believe inside help was involved just not bright enough to keep the addresses straight.

Not criticizing that. I'm old-school about some things too. But I like to see instant results, and I would have guessed more people are way ahead of me on that.

I knew you weren't criticizing. I forgot to use the smiley face emoji at the end. eek

I've had my identity/cc information stolen before so I'm pretty leery about paying bills via internet. Kinda funny though, I will buy things via the internet and use my cc. I'm just weird like that I guess.
Just as an aside - I have been the target of credit card fraud a few times. Every time, it was caught by the card company on the spot. Couple of times with Cabelas and another time with a Mastercard. In those cases (yes, even with the old Cabelas) the card was locked and replaced. At least twice with Cabelas (old visa) it was frozen because of a charge I made while traveling that looked suspicious to them, and I got no warning about it. I had to call them to straighten it out. I will never complain about that. I'd rather have them over-vigilant than the other way around.

It is not always a stolen card or number that gets you. Nor a hack, in the usual sense. Sometimes, it's just a random number pick. You don't actually have to use your card to be a victim of fraud. You don't actually even have to have an account. I had one identity theft years ago before the internet even existed. Actually, two, come to think of it. These days, it is just a good idea to have identity protection. Mine gives me notice at any little change in my credit history - even the legitimate ones (which has happened a few times) so that I can verify.

Another thing.....
All the card companies I have dealt with recently offer a service that you can set up through their website with your choice of a phone call, text, and/or email notification. It's in your best interest to give them permission to connect you to that service. It's usually part of your account settings that you can change any time. Trust me - if they think they should call you, you want them to.

.....and another thing....

Everyone should have their CC service dept phone number on speed dial.
Just as an aside - I have been the target of credit card fraud a few times. Every time, it was caught by the card company on the spot. Couple of times with Cabelas and another time with a Mastercard. In those cases (yes, even with the old Cabelas) the card was locked and replaced. At least twice with Cabelas (old visa) it was frozen because of a charge I made while traveling that looked suspicious to them, and I got no warning about it. I had to call them to straighten it out. I will never complain about that. I'd rather have them over-vigilant than the other way around.

It is not always a stolen card or number that gets you. Nor a hack, in the usual sense. Sometimes, it's just a random number pick. You don't actually have to use your card to be a victim of fraud. You don't actually even have to have an account. I had one identity theft years ago before the internet even existed. Actually, two, come to think of it. These days, it is just a good idea to have identity protection. Mine gives me notice at any little change in my credit history - even the legitimate ones (which has happened a few times) so that I can verify.

My Cabelas card has been hacked twice. The first time was for $2500, the second for about $300. It was a PITA getting it all straightened out.
Latest I had here was on the Mastercard. Pretty sure the wife fell victim to one of those surreptitious card readers at the gas pump. Hit with a charge for $5k and $750. They denied those charges and called me immediately. Asked if it was us - I said "no". They verified the legitimate charges preceding, killed that card, and sent a new one out right away.
Latest I had here was on the Mastercard. Pretty sure the wife fell victim to one of those surreptitious card readers at the gas pump. Hit with a charge for $5k and $750. They denied those charges and called me immediately. Asked if it was us - I said "no". They verified the legitimate charges preceding, killed that card, and sent a new one out right away.

One of the biggest risks are the waiters/waitresses that take your card away to run it and also take a pic of it with their phone and they have the CVV number. This is one way that the US is way behind other countries where they bring the chip reader to the table. It doesn't really matter how many steps you take to protect yourself it is best to think you are always going to subject to fraud and watch your stuff religiously.

Keeping all this in mind I would never ever ever use a debit card. It is true that the bank will return your money in the case of fraud, but that doesn't prevent other legit transactions hitting your account at the same time without sufficient funds. You could be subject to bounced payment fees to those vendors. At least with a credit card you are using the banks funds until it gets sorted out.

The creditors prefer to see you maintain their card at a 10 ~ 20% balance. If you stay within those parameters and make your payments a few days early, without fail, you get the biggest boost in your credit scores.
Originally Posted by Magnumdood

The creditors prefer to see you maintain their card at a 10 ~ 20% balance.

No doubt.
Originally Posted by SockPuppet
Originally Posted by Magnumdood

The creditors prefer to see you maintain their card at a 10 ~ 20% balance.

No doubt.

Yeah, I know...I'd bet anything they never considered offering credit for no fee.
Originally Posted by Longbob

One of the biggest risks are the waiters/waitresses that take your card away to run it and also take a pic of it with their phone and they have the CVV number. This is one way that the US is way behind other countries where they bring the chip reader to the table. It doesn't really matter how many steps you take to protect yourself it is best to think you are always going to subject to fraud and watch your stuff religiously.

Keeping all this in mind I would never ever ever use a debit card. It is true that the bank will return your money in the case of fraud, but that doesn't prevent other legit transactions hitting your account at the same time without sufficient funds. You could be subject to bounced payment fees to those vendors. At least with a credit card you are using the banks funds until it gets sorted out.

Yep. Good point. That is part of why I pay cash at most restaurants.

I don't mind using cards at restaurants. I get 4.5% back when I use a certain one at restaurants. I monitor all my transactions on Mint for a couple of reasons. One being to monitor for fraud and the other is that I log all my transactions into my budget program. No surprises on fraud or expenses. I also play the point game on my cards. Really it is a combination of points and miles since we mainly fly American Airlines.

There is an extension you can put on Chrome that will give you AA miles at many places you shop. We ended up logging over 55,000 miles for our Christmas purchases last year along with the points on the cards. It was double dipping. There is a pretty good website that ferrets out a lot of this called The Points Guy. www.thepointsguy.com
It was that way BEFORE Capital One took over.....

We once sent in a payment but did not take into consideration a federal holiday and were one day late with a payment. They charged interest and when confronted about it, were told sorry, but those were the rules.
We have went back to Discover. Have had Cabela’s Black Card for years. Got jipped out of points on a somewhat large purchase recently. Both calls to customer service ended after a grand circle jerk of reps directing me to various departments. Poor experience to say the least. Cabela’s customer service was top notch the few times I had issues. A few minutes on the phone and issue always resolved. They were also very good at fraud detection and took care of it both times my card was charged or attempted to be charged by scammers. Sorry to see the change. Until we find something better Discover is our choice.

I live close to the Wheeling WV store and was a regular shopper. Been a few months since I’ve stopped and don’t plan on any visits. Finding everything I need online and most times cheaper. Selection/inventory very poor and prices really high compared to many other online options. Thus far it’s a shame what our store has become.
I've got all the major cards and my main card is Discover. I don't think you can beat it overall. The one downside is that it isn't quite as accepted as MC or Visa.

I use my card at restaurants quite often. I do sometimes wonder how many hands it goes through before it gets back to me. And who those who handle it are. Been lucky so far with only one instance where my bank called me to ask if I had tried to buy a $200 gift certficate from walmart. I hadnt and they
Shut the card down. I got a new one in the mail in a few days and nothing more came of it. Maybe paying cash for lunch aint such a bad idea.
What's amazing about the campfire is how many people complain about snowflakes and millennials and then how many posts like this there are.

PSA for anyone paying bills. Most bills have a penalty for paying late. Don't want the penalty, pay your dang bill on time. Pretty simple really. Want to complain, you'd be better served complaining to the one responsible for paying the bills on time. My CC bill is due on the same day every month. Pretty much the same as all my other bills. I know when they need to be paid. If they don't get paid, I figure it's my fault. Sometimes I have a hard time understanding the way grown adults think.

All our bills are paid electronically. (Wife is the accountant, and she would forget now and then. E-pay avoids that)

But, they are paid on a rewards card. That avoids giving people access to MY money.

The card, gets paid with the one check and envelope sent out per month.

When we go on vacation, the gas is free (points) along with the occasional tank.
All my investment money is in Fidelity, so I use a Fidelity Visa card. I get 2% back on everything, and I use it on everything I buy. Adds up pretty quick and I can use that money anywhere, not just at Cabelas. I canceld the Cableas card years ago.
Your FICO score is also used to determine insurance rates and many employers check it before hiring.

explain how my credit score can affect my car insurance and homeowner insurance, so if I have bad credit I'm a bad driver if I have good credit I'm a good driver?
Originally Posted by gemby58
Your FICO score is also used to determine insurance rates and many employers check it before hiring.

explain how my credit score can affect my car insurance and homeowner insurance, so if I have bad credit I'm a bad driver if I have good credit I'm a good driver?

Here's a link to give you more info - https://www.esurance.com/info/car/myth-your-credit-score-doesnt-affect-your-insurance-rate

And a quote from the article.

"Research shows that credit scores can accurately predict accident potential. Statistical analysis shows that those with higher credit scores tend to get into fewer accidents and cost insurance companies less than their lower-scoring counterparts.

In 2003, The University of Texas (PDF) conducted an analysis based on 175,647 policies. They found that those with lower credit scores tended to incur more car insurance losses and higher claims payout, and thus posed greater risk to auto insurers.

The Federal Trade Commission (PDF) also undertook an independent study to understand the relationship between credit history and risk. Like The University of Texas, they found that credit-based insurance scores are effective predictors of risk."
Originally Posted by skeen

Here's a link to give you more info - https://www.esurance.com/info/car/myth-your-credit-score-doesnt-affect-your-insurance-rate

And a quote from the article.

"Research shows that credit scores can accurately predict accident potential. Statistical analysis shows that those with higher credit scores tend to get into fewer accidents and cost insurance companies less than their lower-scoring counterparts.

In 2003, The University of Texas (PDF) conducted an analysis based on 175,647 policies. They found that those with lower credit scores tended to incur more car insurance losses and higher claims payout, and thus posed greater risk to auto insurers.

The Federal Trade Commission (PDF) also undertook an independent study to understand the relationship between credit history and risk. Like The University of Texas, they found that credit-based insurance scores are effective predictors of risk."

I just dont beleive this research

More or less yes. The insurance companies feel there is a correlation between a good credit score and a lower insurance risk.

More or less yes. The insurance companies feel there is a correlation between a good credit score and a lower insurance risk.

Just some more scams against the consumer.. I don't use credit cards and don't even have a FICA score.
So most insurance companies consider me a mass murder on the hwy over that issue.. I go round and round with USAA each time our policy has to renew...

Capitol One is a good example of why I don't have credit cards.... 20 plus years ago, my wife had a Sears Card she had since she started working there in High School. She kept a balance of about $500 on it, but she'd make payments and all she seemed to be doing was paying interest...not the balance down.

So I took it and mailed the entire $500.00 she owed on it when she got another monthly statement and then told them to cancel the card...and mailed them the cut up pieces with the notice.. This was the day after she received the bill in the mail.

Fast forward 3 or 4 years....We had moved and changed a mailing address from MN to Oregon.
We get a collection notice from them for like $600 or $700. We show the collection agency where we had paid off her balance in full a long time ago....the "charges" were for accumulated late fees...

Sears explanation was that even tho we had paid the 'balance' off in full, the payment was processed AFTER the due date, even tho it had been mailed in way before.... they claimed it was held up in a QUE...so until they actually process it, that is the day considered received... and they had constantly held it up on purpose to be "late"....so they just kept on adding monthly late fees for 3 or 4 years plus interest....

I told them F.U. I'll see you AHoles when you take her to court. We took in the receipts and canceled check, showing it had been paid off, and then their explanation of they credited it way after it was received.. so they could charge this late payment BS.....Judge saw it my way, that case lasted about 3 minutes.

Collection clowns just played innocent stating they were just representing their clients interest...
Those type of lawyers are as big of thieves as their "clients".....

Personally I haven't carried a credit card since 2002... and the only reason I carried them up to that time was my companies required it to pay expenses and they then reimbursed the employee.....they did it that way, because employees had used company credit cards for their own expenses and left owing the company plenty of money.... so the companies figured it was easier for them to owe the employee money back...

Then it was not uncommon for them to not reimburse final expenses owed to the employee, for doing company business....

We can all thank sleazy accountants and lawyers for that racket.
Handy, but NO CCs for me. If buying online I use one bank debit card I keep a minimum balance in and add to it when buying something, but nothing extra. Another (different) bank debit card/checking account for all monthly bills and the debit card my SS comes to me on..........that I take to the bank and take all but 100 in cash.

Once a month I put in what's needed for those two cards, write and mail checks and leave enough for (mandated, which pisses me off) "automatic payments" they withdraw monthly in one of them. Then I put it all out of my mind.

Been that way 16 years (every since the last CC using maniac I was with left)..,except for the SS card that isn't THAT old.

The only trouble I have had with a CC company is one saying I applied for one of their cards................and sent it to me.

Wrong. Took me 3 months to get that reversed but I did.

I've a limited income and an unlimited want list so........I "outsmart myself." HAHAHA.

I don't have the cash in hand, I don't buy it.

No one keeps track of what I buy when I pay cash. I'm old. That's how I like it.

YMMV

God Bless
Steve
Just got a bill stating that my payment was one day late and am being charged $27.77. Called Capital one and explained I thought I had mailed it in time plus I had a family emergency. Basically I was told to pound sand. Told them where to stick the card in a nice way and canceled it. Had a feeling this kind of stuff would happen when they took over.

So, let me get this straight, you were late with "your" payment and now it is their fault??????????????

You sound like a precious little snowflake little bitch. Could be it's time to turn in your man card, start wearing your pink pussy hat, and go out and attend a Hillary march. You are such a douche.
Posted By: JOG Re: Just canceled my Cabelas card - 12/12/18

Frankly, I think that's the pitch banks use to convince people they need credit cards. I haven't had a credit card in 20-years, I pay my bills on time, and I have zero problems getting a loan at the lowest rate on the rare occasion I want one. This is also true for my wife and everyone I know that pays responsibly.
Originally Posted by Happy_Prospector
Just got a bill stating that my payment was one day late and am being charged $27.77. Called Capital one and explained I thought I had mailed it in time plus I had a family emergency. Basically I was told to pound sand. Told them where to stick the card in a nice way and canceled it. Had a feeling this kind of stuff would happen when they took over.

So, let me get this straight, you were late with "your" payment and now it is their fault??????????????

You sound like a precious little snowflake little bitch. Could be it's time to turn in your man card, start wearing your pink pussy hat, and go out and attend a Hillary march. You are such a douche.

That was some harsh piling-on, dude.
I love this place! Discussions morph so far....now we're bashing insurance companies and Sears (I'm all for bashing Sears smile ).

Even if the correlation between credit rating and insurance claim risk is not real, I would expect that insurance companies might be looking at the proof of whether or not the prospective insured pays bills on time. I guess the only other way to cover that liability would be to charge a deposit, like a rental agency does.

Those of you who simply don't use credit enough to have a good rating....I admire your tenacity.

Online banking my friend.

But really, who cares?
I got my BP/Cabela's Capital One card in the mail, but I don't know if I'll activate it. I don't have a problem with avoiding late fees or credit card fraud; I have a problem with the Bass Pro organization donating money in support of Proposition One on this year's Alaska ballot. This has led me to believe they're a bunch of clueless [bleep]. (The fact that the local Cabela's has a greatly increased amount of shoddy metrosexual clothing, scented candles, crappy kids toys, and other [bleep] I'd expect to see for sale at a Cracker Barrel restaurant also causes me to hesitate.)
I had the Southwest Airline card from Chase. I've had the card for years. Almost every month I have paid the balance in full for the charges I made the prior month. Somehow I missed the due date for the bill a few months ago and they jacked my interest rate through the roof in addition to the late fee. Even though I pay virtually no interest due to the way I pay off the balance each month, I called to complain and asked them if its worth losing a customer over. They wouldn't fix it, so I went adios.
OK, its my fault as FreeMe said and I can accept that and I apologize to him for my harsh reply. I thought 5 days would be enough to get there so apparently it was not which again is my fault. My problem as a 30 years customer who has never had an issue and has spent literally thousands of dollars with them you would think they would appreciate that fact and give a little slack but apparently I am wrong here to. The main crux of my post was to bring to everyone that except in some rare cases customer appreciation no long exists. Yes I feel some of the negative comments are justified as its my fault but the quote by Happy Prospector is completely wrong in his personal character attack. Unfortuantly this type of attack is becoming quite prevelant lately here on the forum. Its a shame as this use to be a great place until the 1% have ruined a great forum to share with others. At 81 I can reflect how this type of conduct didn't exist say 40 years ago. Its a shame.
Yep, Coyote......customer appreciation is rare these days. And the character attack was uncalled for. I'm sorry if my posts encouraged it.
Originally Posted by ring3
We have went back to Discover. Have had Cabela’s Black Card for years. Got jipped out of points on a somewhat large purchase recently. Both calls to customer service ended after a grand circle jerk of reps directing me to various departments. Poor experience to say the least. Cabela’s customer service was top notch the few times I had issues. A few minutes on the phone and issue always resolved. They were also very good at fraud detection and took care of it both times my card was charged or attempted to be charged by scammers. Sorry to see the change. Until we find something better Discover is our choice.

I live close to the Wheeling WV store and was a regular shopper. Been a few months since I’ve stopped and don’t plan on any visits. Finding everything I need online and most times cheaper. Selection/inventory very poor and prices really high compared to many other online options. Thus far it’s a shame what our store has become.

Hate to see Cabela's going down the tubes like it's doing. Used to love Cabela's, and I don't even have a store closeby.

Their Christmas flyer this year was a joke. Basspro type prices.. which are generally garbage, compared to an online search.
I've only bought one thing from Cabela's. It was a half priced jacket off the bargain basement. After their recent merger, there are no bargains at the store. And there's no way in hell I would buy anything at their normal prices. Place is a ripoff in general.
OutlawPatriot, you can thank BassPro for that.
OK, its my fault as FreeMe said and I can accept that and I apologize to him for my harsh reply. I thought 5 days would be enough to get there so apparently it was not which again is my fault. My problem as a 30 years customer who has never had an issue and has spent literally thousands of dollars with them you would think they would appreciate that fact and give a little slack but apparently I am wrong here to. The main crux of my post was to bring to everyone that except in some rare cases customer appreciation no long exists. Yes I feel some of the negative comments are justified as its my fault but the quote by Happy Prospector is completely wrong in his personal character attack. Unfortuantly this type of attack is becoming quite prevelant lately here on the forum. Its a shame as this use to be a great place until the 1% have ruined a great forum to share with others. At 81 I can reflect how this type of conduct didn't exist say 40 years ago. Its a shame.
I'm sorry to hear of your troubles on this and agree with everything you've said. The CARD Act put an end to many shenanigans these companies pulled over the years and has really helped. Most of their "rules" are just gotcha's to charge you more. I guess it's the price of convenience even if you have plenty of money, which most folks don't.
© 24hourcampfire