Home
Posted By: rem141r cleaning off rust - 12/11/18
someone gave me and old crescent arms 12g sxs that has a pretty good coat of rust on the carry points. breech area, end of barrels and trigger guard. looks like just about anywhere that the blue is worn off. the gun is functional and the bores look fine as does the extractors and other functioning parts. it was an old timers main gun for decades up until about 10 years ago when he died and has sat since. what would be the best thing to take that coating of rust off the metal? i don't really care if the blue comes off with it but i don't want to just take a piece of sandpaper to it. this is a camp gun so it will be sitting in a damp cold building the rest of my days and only used to shoot the occasional skunk or other vermin.

maybe some 0000 steel wool followed by a good coating of Remoil?

thoughts?
Posted By: wabigoon Re: cleaning off rust - 12/11/18
I hope better help comes along. I'd wonder about this? [Linked Image]
Posted By: Gun_Doc Re: cleaning off rust - 12/11/18
Might look up using washing powder and a battery charger. May or may not be applicable to your shotgun, but another useful tool in the bag of tricks. Works great in some applications.
Posted By: WillARights Re: cleaning off rust - 12/11/18

If just easy surface rust, just take a qtip and 3in 1 and rub gently. Keep soaking.

If alittle heavier, get you some BRASS wool, and some Kroil oil, and apply, let it sit, and gently rub.

I did a riflle with surface rust with the Kroil and brass wool.

If not for my impatience, it wouldve come out perfect.
Lost some blueing cause i didnt wait long enough for the Kroil to do its job.
Posted By: nighthawk Re: cleaning off rust - 12/11/18
Real answer? Take a piece of sandpaper to it. 400 grit wet-or-dry (dry) would probably do it and then Oxpho Blue. Could go to 600 but the shine would look out of place on a Crescent. Then clean/restore the wood and done right it'll come out looking surprisingly good.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: cleaning off rust - 12/12/18
Who's that company that makes that rust remover scrubby deally? silver/bluish color, looks like a pot scrubber. I bought one for about 7 bucks, but that thing works perfectly and doesn't harm the bluing at all! Serious.
Posted By: ilikemilitaria Re: cleaning off rust - 12/12/18
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Who's that company that makes that rust remover scrubby deally? silver/bluish color, looks like a pot scrubber. I bought one for about 7 bucks, but that thing works perfectly and doesn't harm the bluing at all! Serious.

..Big 45 Frontier metal cleaner...

http://www.big45metalcleaner.com/

Works like a charm, wont scratch or hurt bluing.

dave
Posted By: Gus Re: cleaning off rust - 12/12/18
that might be exactly what i need for an old stevens shotgun i just found.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: cleaning off rust - 12/12/18
Originally Posted by ilikemilitaria

dave

Yeah I've got steel and bronze wool but that pad is the ticket. Thanks for the link.

*I used it on a super rare Savage 99 that is in mint shape except for this funky super fine rusty film. There's no way I'd touch that rifle with anything else because that rifle was $2000 and I didn't want to ruin it. It worked well.
Posted By: ilikemilitaria Re: cleaning off rust - 12/14/18
Originally Posted by Gus

..yep, believe me, it is.

dave
Posted By: kid0917 Re: cleaning off rust - 12/14/18
Originally Posted by Gus

..yep, believe me, it is.

dave

how do you use it? back and forth, or orbital motion?
Posted By: slumlord Re: cleaning off rust - 12/14/18
Rust??

At them gun shows, they refer to that as "patina" supposedly makes it more valuable. 😄
Posted By: AussieGunWriter Re: cleaning off rust - 12/14/18
Nooooooooo..........
The best method is to put gun oil on the bad areas and rub with an old penny made of copper.
I use a couple dated 1956 and 1965 so you can't use the newer ones with less copper in the mix.

You will be stunned at the difference and will also darken the bluing.
John
Posted By: Partsman Re: cleaning off rust - 12/14/18
Originally Posted by slumlord
Rust??

At them gun shows, they refer to that as "patina" supposedly makes it more valuable. 😄

That is just a line they use on folks from Tennessee, gets them every time. grin
Posted By: nugget Re: cleaning off rust - 12/14/18
Flitz rust remover
Posted By: kellory Re: cleaning off rust - 12/14/18
I use apple cider vinegar as a dip. Take a look at the results.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/galleries/13358417#Post13358417
Posted By: 700LH Re: cleaning off rust - 12/14/18
Chore Boy all copper scrubbing pads
Posted By: teamprairiedog Re: cleaning off rust - 12/14/18

dave

Yes on the Big45metal cleaner. Don't get too aggressive... just remove what comes off easy then Brownell's Oxpho blue with a bit of steel wool. Use a fresh piece of steel wool each time. It might take 3-4 times per spot but I think that you will be pleased. The Oxpho will even remove light rust but if you've got pits they're going to remain.
Posted By: usull Re: cleaning off rust - 12/14/18
Originally Posted by kellory

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/galleries/13358417#Post13358417

Kellory , how long a dip for that Anvil ? Man , that must have taken a ton of Vinegar ! Have you tried Vinegar by just swabbing small objects ?
Posted By: kellory Re: cleaning off rust - 12/14/18
Originally Posted by usull
Originally Posted by kellory

Kellory , how long a dip for that Anvil ? Man , that must have taken a ton of Vinegar ! Have you tried Vinegar by just swabbing small objects ?

That was a one week dip and a soft brass brush. It did not take anywhere near as much dip as you might think. I used a 55 gallon PVC barrel, and a barrel liner trash bag. Lined the barrel, then placed the anvil, and poured one gallon of vinegar. Added water on the outside of the bag and inside the barrel. (This means a LOT less vinagar due to displacement) added enough vinegar to cover the anvil completely, and matched water levels outside the bag. I used about 5 gallons of vinegar in total.
Posted By: hanco Re: cleaning off rust - 12/14/18
Apple cider works!!
Posted By: gunswizard Re: cleaning off rust - 12/14/18
+1 on the Big 45 Frontier Metal Cleaner, I used one of these to clean up a Smith & Wesson revolver that had been stored in a leather holster under the fiberglas insulation in an attic for 25-30 yrs.. It removed every bit of the rust and did not harm the bluing.
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: cleaning off rust - 12/14/18
tag for future
Posted By: 700LH Re: cleaning off rust - 12/14/18
Make sure you buy the all copper scrubbers Chore Boy makes more than one product and scrubber.

FAQs
Can you tell me what grade of copper is used in the Chore Boy Pure Copper Scrubbers?
These scrubbers are 99.997% pure copper.

https://www.choreboyscrubbers.com/chore-boy-products/copper-scouring-pads
Posted By: LeroyBeans Re: cleaning off rust - 12/14/18
Originally Posted by rem141r

maybe some 0000 steel wool followed by a good coating of Remoil?

thoughts?

No, NEVER!

Watch this. It's very simple, works every single time. The wheel he is using can be bought at Brownells and chucked in a drill press or hand drill

Posted By: rem shooter Re: cleaning off rust - 12/14/18
Originally Posted by wabigoon
I hope better help comes along. I'd wonder about this? [Linked Image]

back in the 1970's i used this on a old single shot shotgun barrel ,it got the rust off ,but had to reblue the barrel ,
Posted By: slumlord Re: cleaning off rust - 12/14/18
Originally Posted by Partsman
Originally Posted by slumlord
Rust??

That is just a line they use on folks from Tennessee, gets them every time. grin

We don't have rusty stuff at our gun shows. We don't even have guns. Just ninja stars, cheap pocket knives, boiled peanuts, sugar gliders, wind chimes and kettle corn. 😄
Posted By: jorgeI Re: cleaning off rust - 12/14/18
"Deputies surrounded the vehicle, after which Tirone exited it and fired at police, forcing six deputies to fire back and fatally shoot him, according to Prevatt, who does not know how many shots were fired."

If past history's an indication, probably a couple of hundred with maybe one or two hits..
Posted By: tzone Re: cleaning off rust - 12/14/18
I thought for sure this was about jerkin off. Sorry...I'm out.
Posted By: killerv Re: cleaning off rust - 12/14/18
Pro-shot metal care cloths are always nice to have around also.

Or do this.

basically steam it, hit it with a very fine wire wheel or 0000 wool.

Posted By: nighthawk Re: cleaning off rust - 12/14/18
Damn gunsmiths have been screwing us for years by polishing rust off and pits out. All they had to do is steam it.
© 24hourcampfire