Home
I know it's about 90% garbage. But there's a few things on there that's worth watching.

I'd like to kick back and watch an interesting show right now. I'm particularly fond of documentaries. But I'm open to any suggestions.
"There Will Be Blood" is one of my favorites of all time but now that I think about it, it may be on Amazon and not Neflix...
"Blazing Saddles"
Narcos Mexico. Not a movie but a series. About 3/4 through. Pretty good.
Those are both good. But I'm looking for something recent that I haven't seen before.
I really enjoyed “unbranded”.
"The Farthest, Voyager In Space" far more interesting than I had expected.

I enjoyed "The Last Kingdom". A series, in three seasons now.
Originally Posted by mudstud

That was good.
I looked at the trailers for "Unbranded", and "The Farthest",...both look very good.

Thanks.

I'm going to make a list. I'm open to other suggestions. It's winter. I'm more prone to watch movies during this season.
Narcos could be good but subtitles suck.
"Christmas Chronicles" is a good one if you have some kids around plus it's tolerable for adults. BTW. I hate xmas shows but it's not bad.
"Designated Survivor" has a great storyline but it trends into a liberal hit piece.
I really enjoyed "Bright". Weird but I love action movies.
You're probably right. 90% plus suckfest.
I'll keep watching this thread for suggestions.
What about series tv? Californication on Netflix is funny. Shameless to from Showtime is also on Netflix. .
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Those are both good. But I'm looking for something recent that I haven't seen before.

"Wind River" is quite good.
I started watching "Travelers" this morning. Just finished the third episode. It is interesting but develops slow.
Thanks for the suggestions. Keep them coming, please. It should be a good thread for many people.
not a movie but Bad Blood is good
Tits And Dragons

(Game of Thrones)
Originally Posted by Dryfly24
"There Will Be Blood" is one of my favorites of all time but now that I think about it, it may be on Amazon and not Neflix...

It's just about always available free on Amazon Prime. Great movie. Seen it five times at least since it first aired. Hell, I'm pretty sure I have it on DVD, too.

They need to bring back the series of "My Name Is Earl" and "Rockford Files"
Bristoe, if they have the Sopranos, and you haven't already seen the entire series, it's always free on Prime, and as I recall, it was free on Netflix when I had it, too. Probably the best TV series made. First season had some minor flaws, but still excellent. I think there were seven seasons.
Have you watched Interstellar?
if you haven't seen Wind River as mentioned above, its worth watching. I don't know if its still on Netflix or not.

I just finished watching Bodyguard which was a series and I thought it was very good.

Now I've started watching House of Cards after putting it off for sometime. Its enjoyable, but I'm not going to binge watch it.
Originally Posted by shrapnel

They need to bring back the series of "My Name Is Earl" and "Rockford Files"

My Name Is Earl was a great show. Great writing, casting, everything....
Last of the Mohicans
Watching Travelers now. It is fun.

The Christmas Chronicles with Kurt Russel is fun for young and old alike.

The Kingdom was not bad despite the fact that it starred Jaime Fox.
Wind River (movie)
Hell on Wheels (series)
The new movie "Mowgli" is very good. Not your children's Jungle Book.
For documentaries "Five Came Back" about big name Hollywood directors during WWII. Each of their documentary films is on Netflix as well - Midway, Thunderbolt, The Memphis Belle, San Pietro (which was restaged - I never knew that), Report from the Aleutians and a couple of others.

Word War II In Colour.

The Siege of Jadotville, about Irish peacekeepers during the Congo war of the early 60's.

Look Who's Back - Hitler returns to modern Germany and finds fruitful ground. Ostensibly a comedy but with a real social bite. You especially might like this one.

V for Vendetta.

Peaky fookin' Blinders - 4 seasons, one of the best TV shows on Netflix. Turn on CC unless you understand heavy fookin' workin' class Brit accents.

Breaking Bad - the other best TV series on Netflix.

Train to Busan - zombies on a S. Korean train. Better than your average zombie movie.

"Best" may be a bit too subjective, but some of the titles in my list are, Gambit, Gold, Kodachrome, and Kill the Irishman.
I know it's about 90% garbage. But there's a few things on there that's worth watching.

I'd like to kick back and watch an interesting show right now. I'm particularly fond of documentaries. But I'm open to any suggestions.

Another vote for Wind River.
Originally Posted by hardway
I really enjoyed “unbranded”.

+1

Sweetgrass was also good but I don't know if it's still there.

Beasts of No Nation was better than I thought it would be.
Originally Posted by White_Bear
Narcos could be good but subtitles suck.
"Christmas Chronicles" is a good one if you have some kids around plus it's tolerable for adults. BTW. I hate xmas shows but it's not bad.
"Designated Survivor" has a great storyline but it trends into a liberal hit piece.
I really enjoyed "Bright". Weird but I love action movies.
You're probably right. 90% plus suckfest.
I'll keep watching this thread for suggestions.

My wife and I are both hard of hearing. We don't go to movies any more because they don't have subtitles and we miss 2/3 of them. For us, foreign movies are as good as American ones because of the subtitles.
Wind River...
Godless

It's like a 6-7 episode mini-series, western. Jeff Daniels is an assume bad guy.
The Salvation
Tucker and Dale vs Evil

Just finished Haunted Hill house...pretty good

We are on a 1 month free trial of netflix and I would say it's almost worth the price.

99.9% garbage.
Hostiles was very entertaining. Also, Wind River.
“ Peaky Blinders” will surprise you......it’s pretty good.
Operation Red Sea
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Godless

It's like a 6-7 episode mini-series, western. Jeff Daniels is an assume bad guy.

+1. "You got a Pappy, son"? I didn't realize Jeff Daniels had such range until watching that one
Originally Posted by SockPuppet
Godless

+1. "You got a Pappy, son"? I didn't realize Jeff Daniels had such range until watching that one

Oh he's got range alright...
They just added The Big Lewbowski.
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Wind River...

There aren't any disclaimers at the end of this movie about animals not getting hurt during the filming...
If you haven't seen Dexter, then that series will take care of a full weekend + of binge watching. Same with Breaking Bad.
For TV series: Both my wife and I liked:

The Blacklist..

Person of interest.
I’ll 3rd or fourth Peaky Blinders. Thought it was very good. Also Godless.

Hell on wheels ...meh showed promise, but just kinda weak chit

Wind river is very good if you haven’t seen it B.

And so far not sure if it’s netflix or am prime. Tom Clancy’s Jack Ryan the series seems pretty good.

Fing bouncing back and forth bretween two houses these days. Mom likes the one downtown, I like the one a bit outa town. Go figure
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit
...Hell on wheels ...meh showed promise, but just kinda weak chit ...

My thoughts exactly. Lots of good characters. Started out strong then Bohannon got married, they killed off Lily Bell and it went downhill from there. I stopped watching in the middle of the third season.
There is a documentary on tanks that was good

The 80's documentaries are good
Gone Baby Gone

Altered Carbon
Ozark is a series but good
Godless is also a series and good
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit
I’ll 3rd or fourth Peaky Blinders. Thought it was very good. Also Godless.

Hell on wheels ...meh showed promise, but just kinda weak chit

Wind river is very good if you haven’t seen it B.

And so far not sure if it’s netflix or am prime. Tom Clancy’s Jack Ryan the series seems pretty good.

Fing bouncing back and forth bretween two houses these days. Mom likes the one downtown, I like the one a bit outa town. Go figure

I think I watched about a season and a half of Hell on Wheels before giving up on it.
I'll second Ozark. Another good one is Animal Kingdom. Also Ray Donovan. Some of this stuff may be on Prime.
Originally Posted by mudstud

That one was really good. Godless was also.
Another good series that only has a couple of seasons out on Prime IIRC, is Banshee.
Originally Posted by 308ld
For TV series: Both my wife and I liked:

The Blacklist..

Person of interest.

We're just getting through season 1 of Blacklist now. Very entertaining.
The series "Frontier" is pretty good. It's 3 seasons and holds my attention. I don't watch much TV.
Godless

Very good if you like Westerns. First episode starts a little slow, but it get's better pretty quickly. Probably as realistic of a western that's ever been done in terms of guns, clothes and horses.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMUiRYoc76A
I agree with others, Wind River and Hell or High Water both from the same director.
I don't know if it's on Netflix, but "Man in the High Castle" is a good series.
Dark Tourist, Episode: the Stans. I was recommended this one from someone who traveled to Kazakhstan several times. Crazy place.
Sons of Anarchy is really good series too. I need to finish that one now that winter is here again.
Originally Posted by northern_dave

We are on a 1 month free trial of netflix and I would say it's almost worth the price.

99.9% garbage.

For the same price get Prime, and you get about the same quality of viewing, plus free shipping from Amazon, so it actually ends up being worth it.
Peaky Blinders is a must watch.
Bad Day For The Cut wasn't too bad. The Homesman. Godless was very good. Hell on Wheels. Secretariat (If you like horses) Wind River. The Hateful Eight.
You guys are bumming me out on 'Hell on Wheels'. I'm just getting started on it and now you've got me thinking it's going to turn into a steaming pile....
There's two seasons of "Mossad 101" on Netflix. I liked it. Subtitles.

Bodyguard is a good series. "Wind River" is by the guys that did the two "Sicario" movies. The first "Sicario" is on Netflix. "Hell or Highwater" is good.

My wife and daughters got me watching "Outlander". Written by a chick for chicks, but it has its moments.

Not a big Adam Sandler fan, but I really like "Just Go With It".

"We are the Millers".

On Prime there is the new "Jack Ryan" series. I also watched "Strike Force" which is also subtitled. It is about Dutch pot detectives that get involved in investigation of the mafia. There is one season of "Cape Town". Detectives in Cape Town. 4 seasons of "Harry Bosch". Based on Michael Connelly Harry Bosch novels. They kind of mash 1-3 novels into each series. I really enjoyed it. "Extract" is enjoyable.
You guys are bumming me out on 'Hell on Wheels'. I'm just getting started on it and now you've got me thinking it's going to turn into a steaming pile....

Don't let them scare ya off. It's a good show. Admittedly, the 1st 2-3 seasons are the best though.
I canceled Netflix.

-Mannlicher
Originally Posted by Rooster7

Don't let them scare ya off. It's a good show. Admittedly, the 1st 2-3 seasons are the best though.

Agree, watched the whole series. BUT it's no Deadwood, Deadwood was a great series before they "cleaned it up". I think Deadwood was HBO.
No, really though, I did, months ago. I was fed up with exhaustive collection of domestic and internationally produced cinemographic shìt they’ve amassed. I took it personally that they’d expect me to watch it.

I’m strategizing on timing a 30 day free trial so I can watch the new season of Narcos.
Originally Posted by 308ld
Originally Posted by Rooster7

Agree, watched the whole series. BUT it's no Deadwood, Deadwood was a great series before they "cleaned it up". I think Deadwood was HBO.

Hell On Wheels fell flat on its face in what appeared like an amateurish attempt at dragging out a storyline.
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

99.9% garbage.

For the same price get Prime, and you get about the same quality of viewing, plus free shipping from Amazon, so it actually ends up being worth it.

Prime’s entertainment content has devolved into complete shīt. They’ve got a leg up on Netflix in that Prime’s content collection is much smaller. For a hopeful sap like myself, I only need to spend about 1/3 the time scrolling through shīt on Prime, before I’m forced to forgo any hope of finding a hidden gem.

Free shipping is only second to free shipping and free returns.

1922 . . . but I think it was on Amazon
Have you watched Homecoming?

It was pretty good.
No, but I’ll check it out.
If you like Sam Elliott, beer drinking and cursing, watch The Ranch. It's not the best show I've ever seen, but it will make you laugh.
Originally Posted by Steve
Narcos Mexico. Not a movie but a series. About 3/4 through. Pretty good.

One of the better shows out there. Gets my vote
Originally Posted by kingston
I canceled Netflix.

-Mannlicher

Sam got Netflix on ignore! lmao

Another vote for "Wind River." Taylor Sheridan writes and directs some good stuff. A plus is the guns the government tracker uses make sense to,us gun guys. .45-70 slamming people around is a bit much, but hey, it's a movie!
Peaky Blinders.
Snatch,
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy
"The Siege at Jadotville" was well worth watching if it's still on there.
Medal Of Honor is an awesome show. 8 episodes, each one the story of different medal of honor recipients. pretty powerful
Watched Hostiles last night.
Pretty dark, but well done with good scenery.
You need to check out Black Panther.

You will love i bet. whistle
"Unlocked" on Netflix.
Originally Posted by plainsman456
You need to check out Black Panther.

You will love i bet. whistle

LOL! Yeah buddy.
I saw it the first time when it was called The Lion King
tag for show list
When we had netflix the best we saw was an older series called Jericho. I'd watch it again to check out the blonde babe...
The problem with Jericho was that they canceled it about three seasons too soon.

Jericho made a lot more sense than a similar network series called Revolution. And it also was cancelled just as it was getting good.
Deadwood was great!!
An interesting documentary on Netflix is Meru. Those guys are insane.
Icarus - documentary on doping in the Olympics and Professional sports. Interesting.
Originally Posted by wyattd

Bad azz is more like it
Might not be the best, but worth the time for certain... Red Cliff, a blockbuster based on a civil war in China hundreds of years ago, with massive naval attacks, sword play, and pretty Chinese gals. One of my favorites now that I just have to watch at least some of like Tombstone, Raiders, and Midway, to name a few (there are lots more!)
Originally Posted by tedthorn

Bad azz is more like it

I agree. Bad azz AND insane!!
I watched The Godfather II again a couple of nights ago. It was and is a excellent movie in every respect. Every movie made today is garbage compared to it.

I wish someone would come along and start making great movies again.
I watched The Godfather II again a couple of nights ago. It was and is a excellent movie in every respect. Every movie made today is garbage compared to it.

Serpico, Dog Day Afternoon, Godfather II ... Pacino peaked then. Nothing since he's done has been nearly as good, IMO, not Scarface, not Scent of a Woman, not Any Given Sunday ... nothing.

Godfather II is an all-time classic IMO.
Originally Posted by RickBin

Serpico, Dog Day Afternoon, Godfather II ... Pacino peaked then. Nothing since he's done has been nearly as good, IMO, not Scarface, not Scent of a Woman, not Any Given Sunday ... nothing.

Yeah,...Pacino played the role of Michael Corleone perfectly. In fact, the entire movie was casted perfectly. I have to think that it had a lot to do with Coppola's direction. He knew exactly who he wanted every character to be and he casted the right people to be them and got them to be that person.

It's art.
I liked Wind River enough to watch it three times, then Netflix suggested that if I liked Wind River I'd like Hold the Dark.

Hold the Dark is one of the few movies I've ever watched that made me want to demand a refund for the time I wasted. Not only was there no discernible story (well, there is a story, it just is incredibly stupid), everything about the movie is darkly confusing.

I'd burn the original if I could find it.
A great one, but I won't watch it again until that fugg DeNiro is dead for fear he'll make a nickle off me. I can wait
I watched a Netflix movie a couple days ago just because Matthew McConaghey was the lead. It has “ Trees “ in the title and it will be worth your while to use the search function to find and then watch it.

But....it’s one of those where you need to pay attention to every scene. Details become important later on.
Don't know if they're on Netflix, but other good ones:

Stand Up Guys

The Foreigner

The Admiral (one Korean, one Dutch, both good)

War of the Arrows

White Tiger

Battle for Sevastopol
Wind River is probably the best.
Hollowpoint is OK.
Small Town Crime is worth the 90 minutes or so.
Thumper gets a little better toward the end.

Thanks for the tip on Meru.

Watched it last night. Yep, those guys are crazy. Great documentary.
If I had to narrow movies down to my very favorites.

No Country For Old Men.
Jaws.
Original True Grit.
Saving Private Ryan.

After those it trickles down to Clint Eastwood movies, Open Range and Lonesome Dove.
I did not read this entire post................If no one said "Peaky Blinders" is a good series. Not for children

I wouldn't agree with that at all.

Other than GF II to being an all time classic.

Originally Posted by curdog4570
I watched a Netflix movie a couple days ago just because Matthew McConaghey was the lead. It has “ Trees “ in the title and it will be worth your while to use the search function to find and then watch it.

But....it’s one of those where you need to pay attention to every scene. Details become important later on.

Great post.

Thanks.

Yeah,...Pacino played the role of Michael Corleone perfectly. In fact, the entire movie was casted perfectly. I have to think that it had a lot to do with Coppola's direction. He knew exactly who he wanted every character to be and he casted the right people to be them and got them to be that person.

It's art.

Same can be said for Apocalypse Now.

99.9% garbage.

1. Get Amazon Prime
2..Get a Fire Stick
3. Load Kodi 17 6
4. Load Exodus
5. Watch just about anything.
No, really though, I did, months ago. I was fed up with exhaustive collection of domestic and internationally produced cinemographic shìt they’ve amassed. I took it personally that they’d expect me to watch it.

I’m strategizing on timing a 30 day free trial so I can watch the new season of Narcos.

kingston,

See my recommendation to northern_dave.
No, but I’ll check it out.

Originally Posted by deflave
Have you watched Homecoming?

It was pretty good.

I thought it was good, too. Kind of spooky the way the storyline and characters developed. But, good.
"Medal Of Honor" is well worth your time on Netflix

Great post.

Thanks.

Did you watch samurai cop yet?
It's not a movie but a series on Netflix Narcos Mexico pretty damn good show..

Heat.
Just finished watching Big Jake on Prime. Really stupid. John Wayne must have been embarrassed when it aired.
Dunno "best", but if you haven't seen Children of Men, it's very good.
Originally Posted by local_dirt

99.9% garbage.

1. Get Amazon Prime
2..Get a Fire Stick
3. Load Kodi 17 6
4. Load Exodus
5. Watch just about anything.

Originally Posted by local_dirt

kingston,

See my recommendation to northern_dave.

Will do!
Wind River is great.

For a lesser-known story and film, The Siege of Jadotville.

Best, no, but every single one is better than V is for Vendetta! Oh, Jim.... LOL

Found my Netflix history, 2003 items.

The Bourne Ultimatum, and another one or two
Hostiles
Zodiac
*Mind Hunter
The American Experience The Big Burn
The Hunt for Bin Laden

I watch all the Irish/Brit/Scandi/Euro/US cop crap
Shetland
Dicte
Wallander
Happy Valley
Hinterland
Broadchurch
Luther
Novel
Fauda
George Gently
The Fall
The Killing

Amazon
Jason Bourne
*Crossfire The Plot That Killed Kennedy
The Kettering Incident
The Big Trail
LBJ
DCI Banks
*Bosch
*The Sweeney
*13 Hours The Secret Soldiers of Bengazi
The Infiltrator
Mechanic Resurrection
Alone Across Alaska
Garbo The Spy
Cleanskin
Blackhawk down
The Great Escape
Solace

After a very satisfying Seahawk victory over Kansas City I’m watching my favorite feel good movie about revenge and justice called Law Abiding Citizen, it’s on Netflix.
Gargarin is a very good biopic of the first man to go into space on Amazon, Ekaterina II it's about the Tsarina Catherine the Great. White Tiger is another one.

Great post.

Thanks.

Nailed it. Everyone will be watching this great tree movie in no time at all. “It’d be a lot cooler if you did.”
Sea of Trees. Excellent movie. Thanks for the tip curdog.
© 24hourcampfire