Home
Where's our resident link provider, with the 'personal investor'?

Care to show me where this was predicted?

This is putting the "CHRIST" in Christmas..............

oh ya, you only lose if you sell...................................

It's only a loss on paper...........................

I won't cum in your ......................

GMAFB.
You buy more Packer's stock?
Originally Posted by deflave

You selling?
Originally Posted by Kenneth

GMAFB.

Dude you're kind of [bleep] up, huh?

(FWIW, I called this correction, only I was about 3 or 4 years early on it.)
Surely you jest.

Only retards "own" part of the Packers.
Originally Posted by Crockettnj

(FWIW, I called this correction, only I was about 3 or 4 years early on it.)

You'd be perfect has a weather forecaster or Financial adviser, Same thing just different.
Im out and its going to get a lot worse. Said so months ago.
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Said so months ago.

You didn't fugging tell me...................

Thanks?
Surely you jest.

Only retards "own" part of the Packers.

ya know, I'm down at the moment........

Hugs, not name calling please.
I'm sorry bro.

Merry Christmas,
Travis
PS- Stop acting like a fa g g ot.
It’s only the tip
But really while it’s down 400 some points today thats less than 2%

400 point drops aren’t the same as 400 point drops of decades ago
Who cares? At 45 I'm not touching mine for 20ish years. I'd wait til the bottom and pull everything out and buy gold if I were you.
It's likely a regular bear market. Everyone knew this was coming. It has to come. On average , the market retracts 30% every 5 yrs or so. If it does happen I will continue to invest in whatever is cheapest. I lost 1.17% today, ya it is frustrating knowing i could have bought 40 ac. in upper Michigan with the money I lost lately. It is healthy when this happens. Look at the dow, it happens . A big comeback always happens after a correction or bear. In a month it will likely be over with another 8% down pressure to go. I have 13K ready to put in my ROTH so the timing is great. If we get a 50% correction , well , I have good dividend stocks that didn't reduce their dividends during the " crisis in 08-09. I doubt they will reduce them this time around. I will reinvest the divies and get more shares for whatever the correction is at the time of EX divie date.
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit

400 points today,
Wanna talk about the 2000+ for the month?
PS- Stop acting like a fa g g ot.

Sorry, spent a little too much time over in the Backpacking forum.
WALKED!

INSTALLED A SINK!

WALKED TO THE SINK AND BACK!

UPPER BODY!

2018!!!
Originally Posted by ihookem
It's likely a regular bear market. Everyone knew this was coming. It has to come. On average , the market retracts 30% every 5 yrs or so. If it does happen I will continue to invest in whatever is cheapest. I lost 1.17% today, ya it is frustrating knowing i could have bought 40 ac. in upper Michigan with the money I lost lately. It is healthy when this happens. Look at the dow, it happens . A big comeback always happens after a correction or bear. In a month it will likely be over with another 8% down pressure to go. I have 13K ready to put in my ROTH so the timing is great. If we get a 50% correction , well , I have good dividend stocks that didn't reduce their dividends during the " crisis in 08-09. I doubt they will reduce them this time around. I will reinvest the divies and get more shares for whatever the correction is at the time of EX divie date.

You guys just don't understand,

I was all set to buy that ADBLOCK plus for my iphone. All I wanted for Christmas was to be able to visit this site once in a while.............
I didn't, but I'll go on record calling the next downturn. It will happen. I'm not real sure on the timing however.
Its been freakin brutal. DJI down ~7% in the last week. I've got some Tech stocks that are down 50% since October. Amazon down ~33% off highs this year.

The Fed needs to put a pause on the rate hikes and Trump needs to close a deal with China... or this sht is going to just get worse.
Originally Posted by gregintenn
I didn't, but I'll go on record calling the next downturn. It will happen. I'm not real sure on the timing however.

Get that Resume in, Guys like you are in demand.
Originally Posted by copperking81
Its been freakin brutal. DJI down ~7% in the last week. I've got some Tech stocks that are down 50% since October. Amazon down ~33% off highs this year.

The Fed needs to put a pause on the rate hikes and Trump needs to close a deal with China... or this sht is going to just get worse.

LMAO

This gambling schit sucks!!!!
I saw it coming 2 years ago so went conservative on investments. I didn't make as much as I could have when the market was high, but I modestly gain.

Trying not to lose a big chunk of capital like 2008.
Originally Posted by Morewood
I saw it coming 2 years ago so went conservative on investments. I didn't make as much as I could have when the market was high, but I modestly gain.

The beauty of '08 was I had cash at the right time.

You trying to cheer me up?
It must suck investing in fairy tales.

Did you pull your money out when the market was down?
If hindsight were foresight there'd be a 24HCF full of billionaires. I'm betting there's none, nada, zero here. Everyone's an expert after the fact.
I'm buying..
fella i use to work with said the stock market was a rigged game.
Originally Posted by JGRaider
If hindsight were foresight there'd be a 24HCF full of billionaires. I'm betting there's none, nada, zero here. Everyone's an expert after the fact.

This statement is ALL Texas.

LMAO

Nah, I wouldn't say it sucks. The market is cyclical which is just another business risk that has to be managed.
Originally Posted by 338Rem

No, but I lost about 38% of my nest egg and my long term job all at the same time. Careful when slinging arrows.
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit

400 points today,
Wanna talk about the 2000+ for the month?

What was teh DOW sitting at 3 or 4 years ago? I bet its STILL averaging 8-9% per year, and I didnt even look.

400 points aint [bleep] anymore. We were spoiled with a Obammy friendly fed at 0%rates .

Saw it coming and jumped out when the DOW was at 25,700...Put what little I had into real estate which is up 36% since March. Real estate isn't "only paper".
laugh
I believe all the averages are now negative for this year.
Originally Posted by jorgeI
I'm buying..

...not quite yet, I won't...

When it dips near 20 I'll put a chunk in. If it doesn't go that low I'll buy a small piece of property with "potential"...that old real estate sales term...LOL
... Amazon down ~33% off highs this year...

Good, would love to see it drop another 55%.
I've been sticking exactly half my monthly 'investment' in cash equivalents for 3 or 4 years now. Sure, I missed a NICE paper gain during that run, but I wasnt going to sell anyway as retirement is a ways off.

Looking forward to the "sales".
I thought it was very clear.

Baloney was goin down on the 21st.
TFF
Originally Posted by kid0917

Why?
[Linked Image]

My crystal ball is broke.
When the DOW hit 25K for the first time, I moved all my money to a safe fund.

Why?

Not a fan of their owner.

Why?

Not a fan of their owner.

Yeah, I agree. I'm not a fan of his personally.
The sky is falling, the sky is falling! Damn. I don't know about yous guys.

DOW was at 9600 in April 2009. It peaked at 27,600 in Sept of this year. 9 years, 18000 points. Read that again.

It took the DOW 84 years just to get to 16,000. 84 years.

Nobody "lost" anything...unless you were planning to cash it in back in September and didn't. Of course, wouldn't everybody if we knew then what we know now? cool

Bears still suck. Just not as much. Don't gloat.

Merry Christmas.
Originally Posted by TwoTrax
I believe all the averages are now negative for this year.

Thanks for the pep talk.
Originally Posted by CharlieFoxtrot

Nobody "lost" anything..

You are not very good at math, in fact you suck at it.
I got out in September on a gut feeling, I'll get back in next year sometime.
Investing in the stock market is considered high risk for a reason.
Moved my money 1 year ago. Saw this coming and think this is just the beginning.

Nobody "lost" anything..

I lost a bunch in 2008. It took me until 2018 just to get even to where I was in 2008. Played it safer this time and I'm glad I did.
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

Like owning stock in the Chicago Bears?
This so-called "downturn" is Propaganda Corps driven. Not market-driven.
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

Spent at least 5 minutes trying to think this one through,

A little help please?
These stock market threads are always great entertainment, the campfire is full of investment guru's ... but my guess would be very few are even millionaires...........

Anyone who cant see the market is in a bubble is blind.... pay your money take your chances smile feed the ponzi...

Where is EdM and Calvin to tell us how it is done?
Originally Posted by 338Rem

No, but I lost about 38% of my nest egg and my long term job all at the same time. Careful when slinging arrows.

If you had to pull your money, you had to pull your money. If you pulled because of fear of the market, that is another arrow. It was your choice.
John Bogle wrote in his book to weather the storm. Do not pull into port. Who knows more than Him. I hedge that if the Market fails, This country is failing, and I don't see that for quite a while. Dollar cost averaging .Buy low, sell high.
Originally Posted by Taconic11
Buy low, sell high.

Exactly.

Just buy a stock, and then sell it when it goes up.

Amazing how people can't figure this out.
Originally Posted by Fubarski
Buy low, sell high.

Exactly.

They have been told by all the experts to buy and hold...... wink
I read not to long ago that Warren Buffet stated that one could do no wrong and probably would be wise to invest in the Vanguard Total Stock Market Fund. It seems that many think that they are Market Timers and Stock Pickers! Wow! Ralph Wanger," The Dean of Small Caps", stated in his book that no one can time the market. These guys were/are the best in there field.
Originally Posted by JMR40
Moved my money 1 year ago. Saw this coming and think this is just the beginning.

Nobody "lost" anything..

I lost a bunch in 2008. It took me until 2018 just to get even to where I was in 2008. Played it safer this time and I'm glad I did.

If it took you until this year to make back everything you lost in 2008, then you were doing it wrong. A normal S&P500 index fund would have gotten your money back years ago. The S&P ended 2007 at 1468. It ended 2008 at 903. It passed through 1468 in 2013 and never looked back. I'm sure Warren Buffet isn't bailing on the market and I'm not, either. I'm 59 and semi-retired but I still look at the long term. I have enough cash saved that with my part-time job and small pension, I don't have to touch my investments for a few years. Let it ride...
http://www.1stock1.com/1stock1_141.htm
Originally Posted by irfubar
These stock market threads are always great entertainment, the campfire is full of investment guru's ... but my guess would be very few are even millionaires...........

A million really isn't that much money. It only allows you around $30K income a year.
This is true. Talked to an Advisor a couple of years ago. He said that I was flying too high with all of the high risk small caps and I needed to get back down to earth. I said that these high risk small caps got me here. Not that I knew more than Him, But have since started navigating to the middle of the road.
Originally Posted by UPhiker

A million really isn't that much money. It only allows you around $30K income a year.

It isn't that much money till you have to actually earn it and save it beyond day to day living expenses.

But you as a public service employee are a millionaire but you certainly didn't earn it....

Also if you can only achieve $30k a year of cash flow off a million in assets you aint doin it right....

Fugin liberals....
Originally Posted by Fubarski
Buy low, sell high.

Exactly.

Safe to assume these 2 are millionaires,

'cuz it's that easy.........

Sure, if you have room in the coffin for you and a cool mill,

Great plan.
My hearts pumping piss...
The ones that knew the Fed was going to raise the rate again.

These are deep staters. Did you catch the one azzhole saying Trump's not going to tell him what to do?

Pompous, self-important prick.

Anyone who cant see the market is in a bubble is blind.... pay your money take your chances smile feed the ponzi...

You are the dim bulb of the campfire, but at least you've been consistent with that for many years. You pissed and moaned all the way from 9k to 25k missing the money making opportunity of a lifetime. You should try doing a little bit more reading too, as I was one of the first on here to start telling people to get out as the party is over at 25k.
Well most of You buy high and sell low and don't stick. to bad Your problem not mine. Diversify so if You need money You can take it where it is right.

Nobody "lost" anything..

You are not very good at math, in fact you suck at it.

Reality is that you didn't lose other than paper. Next time cash out when the market is at it's peak. Let us all know when that is so we all can make a little scratch.

The math is that gains have been unprecedented in the last nine years. If you had your money in early, you're doing just fine even with a down 2018. Looking at the last 3 months is short sighted.
Originally Posted by Calvin

You are the dim bulb of the campfire, but at least you've been consistent with that for many years. You pissed and moaned all the way from 9k to 25k missing the money making opportunity of a lifetime. You should try doing a little bit more reading too, as I was one of the first on here to start telling people to get out as the party is over at 25k.

Ha Ha, yep that's me.... smile during the time frame you mentioned I made enough money to retire.... at 51 . Without a dime in the stock market..... if that is your definition of a dim bulb , you may be looking in the mirror... wink

Wow Calvin, you are able to call the bottom of the market and the top? that is amazing....... most people with that skill would be fantastically wealthy.

Yet you guide fishermen...? shouldn't they be guiding you?

If I come to Alaska will you guide me?

Even a blind hog finds an acorn once in a while..... wink
3 pages before the personal attacks, Nice.

Thank God for the Holiday spirit.
Every time I start to second guess my long term investment strategy a correction in the market assures me to stay the course..
Everything is on sale, start buying. Don’t really understand the whinning, if you didn’t sell it’s all on paper and you haven’t lost shares. Cripes, such drama.
Then comes real estate...correction predicted for 2020 or so they say.
Zero had 0% interest rates, the fed pucker at the Treasury Dept now keeps increasing the interest rates to slow down Trumps economy.

He should be fired!
With an approximately 10 year bull run AND the Fed bumping rates, I’d say the pullback is normal. Even though interest rates are historically low,,,,never bet against the Fed. Never.

It isn't that much money till you have to actually earn it and save it beyond day to day living expenses.

But you as a public service employee are a millionaire but you certainly didn't earn it....

Also if you can only achieve $30k a year of cash flow off a million in assets you aint doin it right....

Fugin liberals....

I stand corrected. Fidelity has upped their amount from 3% to 4%, although until a few years ago it was 5%. We live conservatively and my wife has a good income. We don't buy things just to have them. We keep our cars for at least 6-8 years and contribute the max to our retirement plans. It's not how much you save, it's how much the money you save earns.
The sky is falling, the sky is falling! Damn. I don't know about yous guys.

DOW was at 9600 in April 2009. It peaked at 27,600 in Sept of this year. 9 years, 18000 points. Read that again.

It took the DOW 84 years just to get to 16,000. 84 years.

Nobody "lost" anything...unless you were planning to cash it in back in September and didn't. Of course, wouldn't everybody if we knew then what we know now? cool

^ +1
[qu
The math is that gains have been unprecedented in the last nine years. If you had your money in early, you're doing just fine even with a down 2018. Looking at the last 3 months is short sighted.

^ Yep.
Originally Posted by jorgeI
I'm buying..

I'm always buying.
Originally Posted by tpcollins
Zero had 0% interest rates, the fed pucker at the Treasury Dept now keeps increasing the interest rates to slow down Trumps economy.

He should be fired!

The fed rate should have never been at 0%. It should be raised to prevent runaway inflation which would be very damning to our economy.
Originally Posted by boatammo
Well most of You buy high and sell low and don't stick. to bad Your problem not mine. Diversify so if You need money You can take it where it is right.

Good advice!
Buy. Hold until you need to or want to retire. Withdraw 5 percent or less per year. Keep riding the waves. It always ends up 8 percent or so and has for many decades.
As a child with PCAR stock, I saw the market stay flat for 15 years from 1967 to 1982.
I saw the market crash in 1987.

As an engineer in the 1990s I used to say, "I can make a spectrum analyzer read anything I want, if I can choose over what time interval it integrates."

It would not be stretch to say similarly, "I can show the market gaining or losing any amount, if I can choose the stocks and the time period."

That is looking at the past. Looking at the future, I am all in on 1) AMZN, 2) GOOG, 3) NFLX............

.....I am only up 3% for the last 365 days, but that does not mean I am selling.
Originally Posted by Pat85

I suppose this could be considered technically correct, but in reality the stock market is VOLATILE, but not risky IN THE LONG TERM.

I sleep like a baby. The stocks I hold are up 27% over the last two years.

The risk is in the upcoming recession and how much it will effect business. That's what I worry about. The market will bounce like a rubber ball like it always does.
All one has to do is pull up the charts for 1 month, 3 month, 1 year, 3 year, and 5 year, and all time for any given stock or any given market and take a deep breath. There’s zero need to panic!
I wonder if we will see more chaos in the market in the next few weeks?

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...diate-market-chaos-if-trump-ousts-powell

President Donald Trump would create chaos in financial markets if he ousted Federal Reserve Chairman Jerome Powell, according to Peter Conti-Brown, a professor at the University of Pennsylvania’s Wharton School and author of the 2016 book “The Power and Independence of the Federal Reserve.”

Trump has discussed firing Powell as his frustration with the central bank chief intensified following this week’s interest-rate increase and months of stock-market losses, Bloomberg News reported late Friday, citing four people familiar with the matter.
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
Buy. Hold until you need to or want to retire.

This advice will make you a fish.
Originally Posted by Squidge
I wonder if we will see more chaos in the market in the next few weeks?

You can be confident that any financial advice from a source that ends in “berg” is intended to make them money, not you.

GMAFB.

Many predicted the fall of the markets, but few listened. Look at the number of analysts who (over a year ago) said that the market was overvalued and the boom could not continue. It's just no one could pinpoint a date when investor sentiment would turn. In September, I reduced my risk exposure by selling stocks/funds and put about 10% of my holdings into cash.

Yesterday, I started to "bleed" money back into the market; I'll do it in $5-10,000 increments over the next few months as the market stays volatile.
Originally Posted by Dutch

I suppose this could be considered technically correct, but in reality the stock market is VOLATILE, but not risky IN THE LONG TERM.

The risk is in the upcoming recession and how much it will effect business. That's what I worry about. The market will bounce like a rubber ball like it always does.

I guess the risk would be, from a retirement stand point. Getting caught in a downturn to close to retirement witch leaves no time to recover losses.
Peter Schiff.

Correct. Many people don't understand what the definition is of "risk" as it relates to the stock market, especially mutual funds.
Originally Posted by djs

Many predicted the fall of the markets, but few listened.

I heard predictions of a fall in the market when it hit 18000.

I guess the risk would be, from a retirement stand point. Getting caught in a downturn to close to retirement witch leaves no time to recover losses.

I fully agree.

HOWEVER, it is one of my pet peeves that people will put ALL their nest egg on the sidelines when they turn 60 "because they are close to retirement". That's poor advise. In my opinion, at most 10 years of living expenses should be invested "safely". The rest of the retirement fund should be invested aggressively to stay ahead of the inflation monster.

In a typical scenario, the wife will live into her 90's. To park money in CD's from age 60 to age 90, 30 long years is financial malpractice. Take out what you need to live on for the upcoming years and keep it liquid (5 years, 10, whatever your risk tolerance is), and keep the rest of the money working as hard as it can. The ONLY way to fund a 40 year retirement is through compound interest at decent interest rates. You can't fund 40 years of retirement just from 40 years of work.
Its just a bump in the road. Unless you panic and bail out. A pretty big bump, but just a bump. How long is it going to continue to fall or how low will it get ? Who knows? I'm in for the long. I have to admit I like those big gains more that the big falls!
Originally Posted by EdM
My hearts pumping piss...

How many Old Fashioned's were behind this statement?

Why? I intend to withdraw it like I invested it; a little every month. Google dollar cost averaging.
Howard Ruff-- 1980
I am not contributing to a 401K right now and I have 5 more years before I can start drawing on my IRA. Let it correct. I did my whole $6000 for 2018 so I have to wait a few more weeks before I can invest my next $6000. I like dividend paying stocks. The dollar value of the stock may be down but as long as the dividends keep rolling in, I can be patient.

kwg

If you are that close to retirement and you haven’t adjusted your holdings accordingly, that isnt the markets fault.
Hows the portfolios doing? I'am within 4% of my peak.
I look at it this way, the market goes tits up, its mad max in a year anyways.

won't matter if you lost 100K or $1m
Sold everything today. Now i will watch and see what happens.

I fully agree.

HOWEVER, it is one of my pet peeves that people will put ALL their nest egg on the sidelines when they turn 60 "because they are close to retirement". That's poor advise. In my opinion, at most 10 years of living expenses should be invested "safely". The rest of the retirement fund should be invested aggressively to stay ahead of the inflation monster.

In a typical scenario, the wife will live into her 90's. To park money in CD's from age 60 to age 90, 30 long years is financial malpractice. Take out what you need to live on for the upcoming years and keep it liquid (5 years, 10, whatever your risk tolerance is), and keep the rest of the money working as hard as it can. The ONLY way to fund a 40 year retirement is through compound interest at decent interest rates. You can't fund 40 years of retirement just from 40 years of work.

CD ladders in 3, 4 or 5 year lengths, depending on the level risk you can accept should get people through down turns in the market. If you are close to retirement, keep your living expenses in CD ladders which insulate you from the volatility of the market and give your savings time to recover. I intend to run 3, possibly 4 years in the CD Ladders.

What are you expecting to happen Did I miss something ?

?
Originally Posted by mtnsnake
Sold everything today. Now i will watch and see what happens.
Said so months ago.

You didn't fugging tell me...................

Thanks?

I put it onna Far.
Today was a good day for sure and the DOW is back over 25,000.
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Peter Schiff.

TRH, what is he saying gold is going to do.

LMAO

Nah, I wouldn't say it sucks. The market is cyclical which is just another business risk that has to be managed.

Yep. Sell when the Fed did what the Khazarian Mafia Rockefellers, Payseur, Bilderberg, Rothschilds, etc said to start running it down after they made a killing and buy when they said its gone down far enough and they start buying again.
Originally Posted by stevelyn

Not true. Mattress City and Sears going under, among others i cant remember, Target and Wally World in a bind, major autos in a bind,
Freaking fire bogging down and freezing up on any of you?
Freaking fire bogging down and freezing up on any of you?

Only when I type Khazarian Mafia. Coincidence? I think not!
Provided their isn't a major sell off tomorrow, the January barometer will end the month forecasting a positive year for stocks.

Plus, stocks tend to do best in the third and fourth year of a presidency.
Took notice the Dow is back over 26000
Where's the OP?????
Still pumping pizz...

Not true. Mattress City and Sears going under, among others i cant remember, Target and Wally World in a bind, major autos in a bind,

Jag, the world changes and so do consumers.

Sears made zillions in the 20th Century from catalog sales. That doesn't exist in the 21st. Now it's the internet. Sears and their cousins gave consumers many items under one roof. That niche is now owned by Amazon who also gives free/cheap delivery and no driving to the store.
Do not mistake obsolete business practice with failing economy.

Detroit has to build cars consumers want. Detroit owns the truck/off-road market. They had the SUV market until the Japs started building a better product. Simple competition.

Wally World - has debt from massive expansion into every corner of the country. They now have a big % of stores in areas they did not see as fits for their business model 15 years ago, and are remembering why they avoided them. Also hurt by internet sales. Losing to better competition.

Don't tell me the economy sux because buggy whip and saddle sales are off 91% since 1920. Obsolescence.
CD ladders? What a joke. I can collect cans and make more money faster.

When the market tanks you are supposed to buy. All the dooms dayers crack me up. The market has never not corrected.

Good god you think that Sears and Mattress city have any major bearing on the Market? Really? Sears has been dead for years. Mattress city really? Not even worth typing about.

I'll lead you all to water. You can thank me later. Do a little research and see. IDXX
There's a correction?
When I think there a high I sell all. then wait for the next low. I am only about 50% right so far. Kind of day trading on a longer term.

Just heard that the S&P 500 had its best quarter in the last decade.
Good time to be invested in stocks.
Its always a good time to be invested, its not always a good time to be an investor.
4 years into retirement , bought Vanguard index funds through 457 & 401 , got used to living on less, so retirement income is the same, not drawing any money yet , 70% index 30% bonds, letting it ride. Bought and held from when I was a 25 YO, till now and the future see no reason to change now.
Originally Posted by hatari

Jag, the world changes and so do consumers.

Sears made zillions in the 20th Century from catalog sales. That doesn't exist in the 21st. Now it's the internet. Sears and their cousins gave consumers many items under one roof. That niche is now owned by Amazon who also gives free/cheap delivery and no driving to the store.
Do not mistake obsolete business practice with failing economy.

Detroit has to build cars consumers want. Detroit owns the truck/off-road market. They had the SUV market until the Japs started building a better product. Simple competition.

Wally World - has debt from massive expansion into every corner of the country. They now have a big % of stores in areas they did not see as fits for their business model 15 years ago, and are remembering why they avoided them. Also hurt by internet sales. Losing to better competition.

Don't tell me the economy sux because buggy whip and saddle sales are off 91% since 1920. Obsolescence.

Spot on!
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
When the DOW hit 25K for the first time, I moved all my money to a safe fund.

So the Dow is 26,192.47 midday and approaching an all time high this quarter. You put up your money and take your chances.

First off, be nice to the OP of this thread.... He's one cool dude and and a good friend of mine,

I kid you not.

Dow hits 26,258......Nice, Partying like a Kennedy......

And the next question, Now what?
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
Where's the OP?????

Present and accounted for,

We're cool, my therapist talked me off that ledge.

Sleeping better now, 'preciate your concern.
Originally Posted by Poconojack

Just heard that the S&P 500 had its best quarter in the last decade.
Good time to be invested in stocks.

A 10 year Bull run, The DOW closed today within Dollars of the record high of just a little over a year ago,,

Now what?

And when?
Hows the portfolios doing? I'am within 4% of my peak.

Haven't done the actual math, but has of today it's less than 2% for me.
Originally Posted by FatCity67
Its always a good time to be invested, its not always a good time to be an investor.

Chinese proverb like,

Fortune cookie?
Buy and hold.
Adjust or re balance occaisonally
Be diversified, individual stocks, mutual funds, bonds and cash.
I’m sure glad to have been fully invested the past couple years.
Will there be a correction in the future, absolutely.
Maybe next week, maybe three years from now.
None of us are smart enough to predict that.
And I’ve been using a investment firm for 25 years, without a doubt they have helped my financial situation, a lot.
Originally Posted by kk alaska
4 years into retirement , bought Vanguard index funds through 457 & 401 , got used to living on less, so retirement income is the same, not drawing any money yet , 70% index 30% bonds, letting it ride. Bought and held from when I was a 25 YO, till now and the future see no reason to change now.

Aggressive approach,

At 70/30 most traditional thinking says your ratios should be inverted for your age,

Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead.

We think alike, but that strategy raises questions at times, like last December.
Been trying to get to 65% bonds/cash and 35% stocks for a while now ("own your age in bonds").

It's really tough to leave those stock gains on the table, but after December (and 2008) it became a lot easier.

Sold some aggressive stock funds today, and moving to conservative (majority bond) funds.

Shooting for 65/35 right now.
I feel for the guys who got scared and went to cash . . . with all that kicking themselves now.
im at 21% for the year as of today.... ill take it.
Originally Posted by dale06
Buy and hold.
Adjust or re balance occaisonally
Be diversified, individual stocks, mutual funds, bonds and cash.
I’m sure glad to have been fully invested the past couple years.
Will there be a correction in the future, absolutely.
Maybe next week, maybe three years from now.
None of us are smart enough to predict that.
And I’ve been using a investment firm for 25 years, without a doubt they have helped my financial situation, a lot.

Bingo for the past 35 years.
Originally Posted by kk alaska

Aggressive approach,

At 70/30 most traditional thinking says your ratios should be inverted for your age,

Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead.

We think alike, but that strategy raises questions at times, like last December.

Yep. My Dad (love him I do) was 70/30 or more with a lot of cash overseas when the market flipped on him. He lost 50% of his money in two weeks after he was already retired. He never got it back. It about killed him.

I'll not make the same mistake.
My prediction, for what it's worth:

The market will go some more. Maybe 5% to 10%. That'll be Dow at 28,500+. About then sometime the primaries will start, uncertainty will settle in, and the marekt will suffer. That or billionaire Dems will do what they can to shake the market up with CNN horror stories about the economy or whatever in an effort to garner votes by scaring people. In any case, the market will suffer.

I'm 60 years old next month. I think at Dow 27,500 I'm going from my current 60/40 to 30/70. Heck, I might even just go with a 2.5% Money Market fund with the whole mess since 2.5% is aout what a 30/70 "balance" fund will get you even in a decent market. I don't think being risk averse this near retirement is a bad plan for a guy with no debt. All I need to do is continue save at my current rate while not loosing any in the market, then retire at 65 and suck up my SS bennies.
Well, just told the family I might actually be able to buy some Red Meat this weekend,

ya know, like something that doesn't necessarily have to fit between 2 buns.........

The wife got way too excited and asked for Seafood..........

She's an Angel, so I replied frozen seafood might be possible, but fresh was out of the question.

26,659 and change, Mr. Dow Jones, Nice seeing ya again.
No more wish sandwiches.

Doc?

tell me a story.
, as I was one of the first on here to start telling people to get out as the party is over at 25k.

Calvin, what should we do now?
© 24hourcampfire