Home
Posted By: slumlord Recoil pad melting on Rem 700 - 12/28/18
One of my safes has soft felt type floor padding.

Not sure if there is a chemical disagreement with the rubber and the felt liner or is this purely the buttpad.

AND NO, there hasn't been any "solvents" or heavy oils involved. Just sits quietly in the safe. Never taken out.

The is just turning into goo.

Have a Beretta shotgun buttpad doing similar in the safe. 30 other long guns, no issues.

Best pic i have available at the moment.

No big deal really, new pad a few bucks. Just wondering if anyone else.

[Linked Image]
Remington had a recall on some of the "R3" pads for that reason. Contact them to see if they're still doing free replacement for the defective ones. I had an LVSF with a pad that did that and they replaced it but that was years ago.

Tom
Ok, interesting. Thanks!
Yep their version of the limbsaver will do just that. Same happened to a cdl in .223 we have. Slipped a sandwich baggie over it, problem solved
I have 2 I need to get replaced also. Neither on concrete. one in safe and one on 2x base.

Jeff

My LVSF recoil pad did that. I emailed Remington and they said, "sorry, send us the rifle and $32 and we will repair it."

I ordered a new recoil pad and swapped it out.
I had two Limb Saver pads do that.
Posted By: J23 Re: Recoil pad melting on Rem 700 - 12/28/18
I had one of those soft rubber pads that was factory installed (I figure it was just an unmarked LimbSaver) on my CZ 452 Silhouette rifle. First it got sticky, then melted, then tore when I took it out of the vault one day, half of the pad stayed on the vault floor.

If I happen to purchase another rifle wearing one, it will quickly be swapped out. I have seen too many similar complaints for it to be random or user error. They're junk.
Call them, give them the serial number, and they will replace it for free.
Stand rifles barrel/muzzle DOWN!!
Plastic worms in my tackle box do that too.
Very common with certain generation of R3 pads.
Originally Posted by Sharpsman

Makes no difference on that batch of pads. If they get a little hot, they melt, regardless of orientation.
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit
Yep their version of the limbsaver will do just that.
I hate those Limbsaver pads.. I just replaced one as part of a job for a customer 35 miles S of me.. It literally had turned into a sticky, gooey mess.. A new Pachmayr Decelerator fixed THAT problem..
Originally Posted by HilhamHawk
Originally Posted by Sharpsman

Makes no difference on that batch of pads. If they get a little hot, they melt, regardless of orientation.

Yep.
That's a Remington for ya. If somethin ain't fallin off it, it's melting.
As others have said. Older Limbsavers will do it.

Haven’t had that problem with the newer generation air pads
Bolt handles coming off, trigger malfunctions, pads melting, guns locking up (R51).... At least they don’t build cars....
I have a old limbsaver stabilizer on my Mathews Z7 that is melting like that.

I bet that you had your finger on the trigger when it happened.
I bought one of those Limbsaver grind-to-fit pads brand new. I didn't get around to using it for a couple years , it was in my shop , climate controlled. When I went to get it & put it on a rifle I found it had melted.

Mike
Poor ole Remingdog
Just cant get a gawtdamm thing right....

Posted By: TLB2 Re: Recoil pad melting on Rem 700 - 12/29/18
Remington or limbsaver will replace it. It was a bad batch of rubber from Limbsaver
Yep. Still have pieces stuck to the bottom of one of my safes. It was on a Tupperware stock so I chunked it and ordered a new stock.
Contact Limbsaver directly and they will send you a new Airpad. Will want you to take a picture of the deteriorating pad and email to them.
You gonna replace it slumlord????
Just get a new recoil pad and install a Winchester 70 on it.....
Posted By: DMc Re: Recoil pad melting on Rem 700 - 12/29/18
Originally Posted by renegade50
You gonna replace it slumlord????
Just get a new recoil pad and install a Winchester 70 on it.....

I like the way you think!
I like that, get a new pad and a new rifle to put on the new pad.
My Remington BDL 700 .30-06 doesn't have a sissy recoil pad! grin
Originally Posted by TLB2
Remington or limbsaver will replace it. It was a bad batch of rubber from Limbsaver

I had an allegedly post sticky problem Limbsaver pad put on my custom 375H&H with a Legend stock. Yep, it melted. No more for me!
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit
Yep their version of the limbsaver will do just that. Same happened to a cdl in .223 we have.
..Slipped a sandwich baggie over it, problem solved

Did Remington send you the sandwich bag as the factory remedy...?.. grin
Slumlord: I have had three of my Remington 700's need the "dissolving" recoil pads replaced!
Remington took the serial numbers of my Rifles over the phone (on 3 different occasions) and sent me replacement recoil pads that have worked out perfectly.
They fit perfectly as well!
NO charges to me what so ever.
Puzzling that some here have had a different experience?
By the way the recoil pads were all on the gray laminated Remington 700 stocks like you pictured.
One of my Remingtons was in a soft gun case when it decided to start dissolving and I had a bit of a time cleaning/removing the "goo" left by that dissolving recoil pad off of my gun case.
Good luck.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
it was a 300 wsm.

it found a new home this evening
Yep the R3 pads are junk. Made by limbsaver I have heard. Limbsavers are also junk. Nearly all turn to goo at some point. "We got a bad batch of rubber" has been their line for years now. They will typically send you a new one no questions asked if you call them. I am on my third or fourth replacement on my 870 supermag. Had my smith replace the one on my Ruger 77 350 mag. Was getting a bit sticky on the edges. It was a prefit that did not fit the best anyways so I elected to a have decellarator pad properly fitted and installed. Smith had a 700 stock in the shop with a square of safe carpeting firmly attached to the recoil pad.
Remington will replace it for free. I had a 700 in 300 WSM with a laminated thumbhole stock and they sent me a new recoil pad attached to a brand new stock. My gunsmith told me his cost on that stock was $249. Sticky pads is Limbsavers issue, not Remington's. What caliber is that LSS?
I just sent my LVSF stock to Remington 2 weeks ago for this issue. They replaced it for free and it was dropped off on my porch by UPS yesterday.
the one on my 7615 is doing that too. why the hell they would put an elephant gun recoil pad on a 223 is another question
I put a Limbsaver on a rifle that did that. My 1st problem with it was it left a black mark on my friend's pickup seat cover, then it later stuck to the bottom of the safe. It's still on the gun and it doesn't do that any more. It's like it wasn't cured properly from the factory and age finally cured it.
Don't try dealing with limbsaver, I hate those [bleep]
Originally Posted by slumlord
it was a 300 wsm.

it found a new home this evening

Sweet.....
It's always a win win
When ya can sell off a Remington rifle and turn it into a gun you can use like a decked out savage 220.
Week of the 7th. Buds/ Uncle Lees here we come.

ROADTRIP....

© 24hourcampfire