Home
Posted By: IZH27 Graybeard outdoors - 01/09/19
Someone in jest mentioned this place becoming like graybeard outdoors. That place looks like it’s on life support. And has been dying for a few years. Not much happening their to keep the attention. What’s your experience been in that site?
Posted By: IndyCA35 Re: Graybeard outdoors - 01/09/19
Never heard of it. Maybe that's their problem.
Posted By: fishdog52 Re: Graybeard outdoors - 01/09/19
Was an ok site many years ago, but was bought out, along with many others, by anti 2nd amendment interests. Should be avoided.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Graybeard outdoors - 01/09/19
Bunch of Care Bears, over zealous moderating over there. Fûck that place.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Graybeard outdoors - 01/09/19
Try the S&W forum.
Posted By: weaselsRus Re: Graybeard outdoors - 01/09/19
The moderation was brutal, owner Bill must sit on his keyboard anxiously waiting for a rulebreaker. His classifieds rules were pure comedy.

It is a good place to trade T/C stuff.

This place is a breath of fresh air.
Posted By: Hudge Re: Graybeard outdoors - 01/09/19
I look at Graybeard Outdoors every now and then, it's a good place if you are into single shot rifles like the TC and Handi Rifles. Outside of that, I agree it is on life support form what is was a few years ago. You think it's bad though, try Hunttalk.com, that place is really on life support. I can go weeks without looking at either site and catch up in just a matter of minutes when I do go back to them.
Posted By: simonkenton7 Re: Graybeard outdoors - 01/09/19
I was a big member of Graybeard for years. And then, it was about 10 years ago, I got fed up with them, wrote them a nice "goodbye" post and they have never seen me since.
Someone said they were "overmoderating." I think that was the problem I think it was Mr. Graybeard himself I had some run ins with.
They used to be a good web site.
Posted By: GaryLL1959 Re: Graybeard outdoors - 01/09/19
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
I was a big member of Graybeard for years. And then, it was about 10 years ago, I got fed up with them, wrote them a nice "goodbye" post and they have never seen me since.
Someone said they were "overmoderating." I think that was the problem I think it was Mr. Graybeard himself I had some run ins with.

Same here.
Posted By: rickt300 Re: Graybeard outdoors - 01/09/19
Been a member there for years. I visit the forum daily for a few minutes checking the Contender classifieds forum and the political forum. There are some good characters there and the interaction there isn't as brutal as it can be here on the "Fire". As far as moderating goes I am amazed about how close a tab they are able to keep on both the classifieds and the rest of the forum. That said yes the traffic is down there as it is on this forum. Moderating is a part of it but in general I feel we are an aging group and prefer to actually reload and shoot, run the dogs and the grandkids, fish and watch TV or any other thing that is interesting enough to pay attention to. I would just about bet the average age on the hunting/shooting forums is reaching 60 and by now most of us already know what we need to know about shooting. Most of us have already done a lot of hunting too. As for the new cartridges so what? My 270, 7x57 and 30-06 were more than acceptable at the tasks I put them to and I don't need a high BC bullet 6.5 to shoot at animals 600 yards away because I don't do that sort of thing. Possibly some don't participate in these kind of forums because they don't want their gun interests exposed on the internet.
Posted By: Idaho_Shooter Re: Graybeard outdoors - 01/09/19
There is only one decent outdoors site on the 'net. And anyone reading this obviously knows where it is.

Accurate reloading is as bad as Greybeard. Years ago a guide in Argentina made the proclamation that the members of AR could not shoot. "You guys can't shoot", and then went on to expound on how many of his clients had missed shots, made poor shots, or not taken shots at stag.

I responded that a hunter does not need anyone holding him by the hand and pointing to game animals, nor does a marksman need coached through a shot.

I did not get kicked off, but I surely was.not very popular after. And I soon abandoned the place altogether.
Posted By: 280shooter Re: Graybeard outdoors - 01/09/19
You are allowed to post only if he fully agrees with what is posted. I left there long ago.
Posted By: centershot Re: Graybeard outdoors - 01/09/19
Have not looked on that site for at least 2 years, maybe I should go see if anything has changed.
Posted By: Clarkm Re: Graybeard outdoors - 01/09/19
15 years ago Graybeards banned me for putting too much Unique in 45/70 handi rifle.
I'm sure they made the right decision.
Posted By: shaman Re: Graybeard outdoors - 01/09/19
Originally Posted by fishdog52
Was an ok site many years ago, but was bought out, along with many others, by anti 2nd amendment interests. Should be avoided.

I was on that forum for years, mostly as a lurker. After the buyout, I left. IMR the are owned by a Toronto company that is pushing a serious anti-gun agenda.
Posted By: shaman Re: Graybeard outdoors - 01/09/19
Originally Posted by shaman
[quote=fishdog52]Was an ok site many years ago, but was bought out, along with many others, by anti 2nd amendment interests. Should be avoided.

I was on that forum for years, mostly as a lurker. After the buyout, I left. IMR the are owned by a Toronto company that is pushing a serious anti-gun agenda.

Pro-Gun Control Group Owns . . .
Posted By: IndyCA35 Re: Graybeard outdoors - 01/09/19
I think the same outfit also owns trapshooters.com, which seems to be moderated by the soup Nazi or someone.
Posted By: Hogwild7 Re: Graybeard outdoors - 01/09/19
I was a member there ,a couple of years ago the look of it changed and they made me change my password and I forgot it. Didn't care enough to reset it. Greybeard controlled it too much based on his opinion. Like everyone his opinion was wrong a lot.He wouldn't let people discuss things freely. I got tired of it. Lots of differing opinions here too but here you aren't banned or threatened by administrators for voicing an opinion.
Posted By: cruzerbotz Re: Graybeard outdoors - 01/09/19
Still am a member there, although half the time I have to reset my password as I forget it. Go on once in a while to look at a couple of specific items. Low traffic there.
Posted By: sawbuck Re: Graybeard outdoors - 01/09/19
Around 2002-2003ish I volunteered to moderate a forum there, I think it was the medium bore rifle forum. To my surprise, I was given the job.

At the time the entire forum was very heavily moderated. I never took a single action as moderator and just let the chips fall where they may. In fact, I even stopped posting and just lurked occasionally. Several remarks were made about the freedom in that particular forum at times due to lack of moderation. Eventually, I lost all interest there having discovered 24hr Campfire and quit logging in at all. After what may have been a couple years later, I received a scathing email from Bill informing me of the un-moderated arguments ensuing in my assigned forum followed by a terse notice that I was fired as moderator. grin
Posted By: NYH1 Re: Graybeard outdoors - 01/09/19
I never knew the were bought out....that's how long it's been since I've been there.

NYH1.
Posted By: atvalaska Re: Graybeard outdoors - 01/09/19
I get banned ....hotspot outdoors ( the NPR of hunting and fishing ) and the BBC boards ...to many nose in the air folks over there...
Posted By: renegade50 Re: Graybeard outdoors - 01/09/19
They had some good tech data links about alot of firearms.
Learned alot about H &R ultra slug hunter modifications from em.

Still a member
Go their maybe 1 or twice a year.
Posted By: P_Weed Re: Graybeard outdoors - 01/09/19
There is never any petty whining nor backbiting on Graybeard - which is kept immaculately trimmed.
Posted By: WayneShaw Re: Graybeard outdoors - 01/09/19
I pass through there a couple times a week. Not much there of interest for me. It’ll probably be deleted.
Posted By: SockPuppet Re: Graybeard outdoors - 01/09/19
Originally Posted by P_Weed
There is never any petty whining nor backbiting on Graybeard - which is kept immaculately trimmed.

So they have grooming standards? I'm out!
Posted By: watch4bear Re: Graybeard outdoors - 01/09/19
Originally Posted by P_Weed

Censorship is the window to the soul.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Graybeard outdoors - 01/09/19
Originally Posted by renegade50

Still a member

hey man, loan me your password over there

I'll make ya famous

😄😄
Posted By: CWT Re: Graybeard outdoors - 01/09/19
I was on there years ago but some moderator I think it was something like Quicktodo bashed me for not exactly following protocol as a newbe. He seemed to be a jerk and others had problems too. A nice man PM'd me and turned me on to this site and I never looked back although I check in there about every 3-4 months or so..
Posted By: Tyrone Re: Graybeard outdoors - 01/10/19
I've been there every now & again. Nothing there to really hold my interest, however.
On the plus side, the people there are much nicer than that bunch of idiot pricks at ARFcom.
Posted By: IZH27 Re: Graybeard outdoors - 01/10/19
The moderation there seems almost nonexistent now. In spite of that it seems to be a handful of guys posting. The changes after the sale of the site cut a lot of people out. The format changed pretty drastically. I don’t see how it pays the bills for the new owner. Accurate reloading is a joke now. If you are anti trump anti American it’s a great place for you to go. It does seem that internet boards are generally fading.

Sounds like the issues with Graybeard were consistent.
Posted By: cas6969 Re: Graybeard outdoors - 01/10/19
Originally Posted by Clarkm
15 years ago Graybeards banned me....

Heck he banned half his members all at once about the same time.
Banned people for things they said on other sites.
Banned people for things they said in "Private" messages.
And of course just banning people for not bowing down and having the audacity to not whole heartedly agree with him on everything.
Posted By: renegade50 Re: Graybeard outdoors - 01/10/19
Originally Posted by slumlord

Still a member

I'll make ya famous

😄😄

Hahaha!!!
Same username

Password

Nope nope nope nope
You ain't getting that
Hahaha!!!
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Graybeard outdoors - 01/10/19
Originally Posted by slumlord

Still a member

I'll make ya famous

😄😄

just signed up .... superpecker, pass word Mytime1963@, [email protected]
Posted By: simonkenton7 Re: Graybeard outdoors - 01/10/19
What is interesting is, as I said above I was a loyal member for five or six years, got tired of having Mr. Graybeard tell me what a dummy I was so I posted a "Goodbye" post, essentially a "Goodbye and F*** YOU" post, and I left and never went back, never even went back to see what replies the Genius Administrator or others had made to my post. It was pretty well written I imagine that Graybeard deleted it. But at least I got to tell him "F*** YOU."

So it was Auf Wiedersehen to Graybeard. For about 8 years. Suddenly, a year ago, they began sending me emails.
I never read 'em I don't know what the hell they want, probably want me to return to the forum. Sorry Mr. Graybeard not interested.
Posted By: ol_mike Re: Graybeard outdoors - 01/10/19
Originally Posted by GaryLL1959

Same here.

Me 3 .
Posted By: maddog Re: Graybeard outdoors - 01/10/19
Used to go there primarily for the H&R forums. When they were bought out, and H&R was no longer in business, I lost interest and didn't go back. Agree that Bill was very heavy handed on the moderation.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Graybeard outdoors - 01/10/19
What is interesting is, as I said above I was a loyal member for five or six years, got tired of having Mr. Graybeard tell me what a dummy I was so I posted a "Goodbye" post, essentially a "Goodbye and F*** YOU" post, and I left and never went back, never even went back to see what replies the Genius Administrator or others had made to my post. It was pretty well written I imagine that Graybeard deleted it. But at least I got to tell him "F*** YOU."

So it was Auf Wiedersehen to Graybeard. For about 8 years. Suddenly, a year ago, they began sending me emails.
I never read 'em I don't know what the hell they want, probably want me to return to the forum. Sorry Mr. Graybeard not interested.

Then you signed up here and showed pics of your cabin and summerbeam work and other carpentry

And crossfireooooooppps said you were a fool, a loon, didnt know how to build anything, said he was going to cut your tongue out, etx.

Wtf is wrong with some people?

Glad you stayed after that , I enjoy your posts and pics from North Carolina.
Posted By: RJL53 Re: Graybeard outdoors - 01/10/19
Originally Posted by IZH27
Accurate reloading is a joke now.

But it's the premier place to buy a piece of overpriced Elephant hide stitched on to a 2 dollar wallet or 10 dollar sling. And there is also the jackass with the constant ads for holsters.
Posted By: Rustyzipper Re: Graybeard outdoors - 01/10/19
Overmoderating is the problem.
Posted By: mathman Re: Graybeard outdoors - 01/10/19
Immoderate moderating?
Posted By: simonkenton7 Re: Graybeard outdoors - 01/10/19
Thank you slumlord I am glad you enjoy my stories about log building.
Posted By: IZH27 Re: Graybeard outdoors - 01/11/19
Originally Posted by RJL53
Originally Posted by IZH27
Accurate reloading is a joke now.

But it's the premier place to buy a piece of overpriced Elephant hide stitched on to a 2 dollar wallet or 10 dollar sling. And there is also the jackass with the constant ads for holsters.

Lol. Yep. That classified section used to rock.
Posted By: mrchongo Re: Graybeard outdoors - 01/11/19
I used to like it. Good bunch of participants, back at least four years or so. Classifieds were a good place full of reasonable deals on bullets, brass and the like. Then it changed and got all picky. At one point I was notified that my account was ‘suspended’ because I had some bullets listed on two boards. I mean I get it that listing in two places might not be a good thing, but it was a ‘first offense’ and the punishment didn’t fit the crime. Maybe I overreacted, but I thought that was an @sshole move; so I deleted my account.
Posted By: stantdm Re: Graybeard outdoors - 01/11/19
Like a lot of people I was there four or five years ago to learn what they knew about Handi rifles and fitting the barrels. Never had any problems but didn't post much. When I sold the Handi's there was nothing of interest there for me.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Graybeard outdoors - 01/11/19
The moderating is just as bad if not worse on TnDeer.com and most of the members are trailer park, white trash imbeciles. 15 mods and none of them deer hunt.

The site owner drills 3 holes into a lawn mower deck at a factory, calls himself a tool and die maker for that. Made 1/2 his coworkers and neighbors moderators. hahaha
Posted By: Whelenman Re: Graybeard outdoors - 01/11/19
I have been a member that for a long time. But I forgot all about it!
Posted By: DoubleRadius Re: Graybeard outdoors - 01/12/19
I joined GBO about 25 years ago. Back then there was a wealth of good information and plenty of informed posters. Yeah, GB was a tyrant and he spanked me a couple times, but he did keep the trolls, pottymouths and spam under control. Around 2005 I stopped visiting regularly, but sporratic visits since have shown the site in decline to the current condition when nearly 50% of posts are not even firearms related. I didn’t even know GB sold the site until last year.

If you want to know a little about the current owner and the list of sites it owns:

https://www.canadalandshow.com/torstar-owned-verticalscope-runs-dozens-of-gun-forums/

Posted By: Gus Re: Graybeard outdoors - 01/12/19
was banned from GB back in the day. was ripped off in the buy-sell. i complained mightily on the forum. he dumped me. good riddance for them and me both.

that was long before i found this site.

it's been sold? do tell.
Posted By: Terryk Re: Graybeard outdoors - 01/13/19
I bought a nice target rifle there 20 years ago. The guy gave me a deal, and threw in some match 22s because it was my birthday. I think his name was Brown from Alabama. I was just starting out in life and that really helped.
I shot silhouette a lot then and the GB board was very active, then they got heavy handed and everyone split. I did too.
Posted By: loggerbrad Re: Graybeard outdoors - 03/01/19
Rick300 may remember me from the forum. My handle there is nw_hunter, and I was a moderator for many years on the political forum and others. Back when Bill was owner of the site,we kept a close watch on things as moderators.Not so much anymore, and I don't moderate or post there as often as I use to.It was a dedicated outdoor family place to go, and flame wars and trolling was not allowed.A very informative site IMO and I don't think we will see another like it in the near future.I can see the youth today not liking it as much as us old geezers. This is the WWW and there is room for all.:-)

"NOTE" I do have to admit, since Bill sold it, things have gone down hill.He is still an Adm there, and visits often. I never saw Bill as a tyrant as some here have mentioned. I think he started the best outdoor site on the web, and for years keep it at the top.
Posted By: OMCHamlin Re: Graybeard outdoors - 03/01/19
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Try the S&W forum.

I can't, after I told the site owner to go phuc himself...
Posted By: ol_mike Re: Graybeard outdoors - 03/01/19
Gaybeard - bill can KMA , predator masters sucks bigtime -fatass michael j. mcCasslin and stu [the fairy] fairish are two queermo's who ruined the site- pensacola fishing forum super sucks - say one word in disagreement with a moderator and you're out .
longrangehunting -len - sucks too .
24hrcampfire is hands down the best site on the web , where folks can be themselves - although Rick needs to dump some liberals IMO . If the fire evolved into a heavily moderated site - I'd be done with forums .
Posted By: kennyd Re: Graybeard outdoors - 03/01/19
I still look. mostly at Handi forum. As for moderation, at least people there are usually polite. Can it be said 24 hr. is UNDER moderated?
Posted By: rickt300 Re: Graybeard outdoors - 03/01/19
Originally Posted by loggerbrad
Rick300 may remember me from the forum. My handle there is nw_hunter, and I was a moderator for many years on the political forum and others. Back when Bill was owner of the site,we kept a close watch on things as moderators.Not so much anymore, and I don't moderate or post there as often as I use to.It was a dedicated outdoor family place to go, and flame wars and trolling was not allowed.A very informative site IMO and I don't think we will see another like it in the near future.I can see the youth today not liking it as much as us old geezers. This is the WWW and there is room for all.:-)

"NOTE" I do have to admit, since Bill sold it, things have gone down hill.He is still an Adm there, and visits often. I never saw Bill as a tyrant as some here have mentioned. I think he started the best outdoor site on the web, and for years keep it at the top.

I still visit the site almost daily, still some good people on the forum. But the gun technocrats seem to have moved on and it seems the political/conversation forum have taken over which is ok. I like to check the classifieds there for Contender stuff and occasionally argue with one of the leftists that post there same as here. Bill has never given me a bad time though we have had a few words at times. The forum seemed a bit heavily moderated but so what it is their forum! What I am seeing is that in general hunting and fishing forums are losing members steadily. This is a fine forum and the lack of moderation doesn't bother me any. I figure I will visit Graybeard outdoors til it's over periodically with no complaints. I have been a member there long enough that I have changed my ways from the old days so maybe a bit of moderation was good for me.
© 24hourcampfire