Home
I was doing a little post season scouting/walkabout yesterday and took my old H&R 20ga single shot just in case I saw a something that needed shooting. That little 20ga only weighs 5lbs or so, is not in the best of cosmetic shape and is the least valuable gun I own, but sees a good number of days out every year. I use for rabbits, squirrels, grouse and have shot a couple of coyotes with it. It seems to go along because its so light and can do so many things.

Anybody have a cheap gun they find surprisingly useful?
I have a Lee-Enfield Brit .303–i paid $40 for it put a $55 synthetic stock on it and paid a machinist $50 to recrown the barrel and cut off the bayonet lugs.
Kills moose quite nicely
I keep a single shot 22 loaded with rat shot by the
kitchen door to keep Boomers out of the bird feeders
Old Winchester 67 that I paid $25 for years ago.
I bought a Savage 340 in .30-30 for $110. Fitted an aperture sight to it and use it as a cast bullet plinking gun. It's a hoot, and would serve as a decent deer gun.

I paid $40.00 for this savage 410 over 410 and it was mint when I bought it. I beat the hell out of it grouse hunting and didn't realize it was worth several hundred dollars. I paid $40.00 for it and treated it like a $40.00 gun...

[Linked Image]
I have a Universal double 20ga. Yeah, I know, what's a Universal? It was made in Spain back in the 60's is all I know. I bought it when a local drug store was going out of business. Back then, before gun control was invented, a lot of stores sold guns. It's a cheap gun. I paid about $75 IIRC. The stock broke years ago and I fiberglassed it back together. The reason I like it is because it fits me so well. I've shot other doubles and most are too straight. I have a long neck and I can't get down on them which makes me shoot high. This one has more drop to the stock and I can shoot it fine. I wish I could afford a quality gun made to the same dimensions.
I haven't hunted with it in a long time but it stays handy in the house with loads of buckshot inside. A double is a good self defense gun. Besides being fast to reload, a bad guy gets intimidated when looking down into 2 big black holes pointed at his chest.
Suppressed 10/22 Ruger, I probably burn 2K rounds per year around the farm with that rifle, it wears a Nikon 3-9 Buckmaster scope. grin
My father's Glenfield/Marlin model 25 22cal.. Love that little thing.
My son's Savage Cub and my daughter's Savage Rascal are about the most fun you can have with a gun.

As an aside, I can't believe shrap' and 'flave admitted to owning Savage's in the same thread.
No.
I have a Harrington and Richardson .22 revolver that belonged to my late brother-in-law. It's in like-new condition. After he passed, no one in the family wanted it, so my wife asked me to put it in the gun safe. I keep it loaded with snake shot and it's my "go to" utensil when the dogs find a rattlesnake in the yard.
Tec 9
I bought a Savage Hog Hunter in 308 for the threaded barrel. It’s damn near a one hole rifle. I’m a magnum guy, but that 308 kills deer and pigs as well as my cannons. I have a couple Savage 6.5 Creedmoor rifles. Just as accurate. I had always turned my nose up at Savage rifles, fine rifles for the price.
I wish I could find a "cheap gun".
I have a H & R Topper 410 that I paid $60 for about 20 years ago. I have lost count of the grouse and rabbits that gun has put on the table. I haven't killed a pheasant with it yet, but I'm taking it to Neb. on the last weekend of the season to try!

Elk Country
Rohm model 57 in .41. Paid 105 when the pawnshop made a mistake on discounts. otherwise would have been 150. Decent DA trigger, all 6 holes shoot same place, stout has hell. This was before they started making Saturday night specials. Finish is "matte", otherwise known as didn't spend extra time on polishing.

I have a fondness for H&R, gave me a chance to experience different cartridges without breaking the bank.
I sold off the cheap stuff years ago. Like Shrapnel I traded an inexpensive utility trailer to a buddy to get a Savage 22 mag/20 gauge M24 for a cheap rambling around piece and now I'm seeing those things going for way bigger money to have it in the cheap category.
Every Marlin X7 Rifle I’ve had has shot far better than a < $300 rifle should shoot.

I used to be a “wood ‘n blue” guy, but I’m coming to see that quite often, purdy is as purdy does.

FC
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I have a Universal double 20ga. Yeah, I know, what's a Universal? It was made in Spain back in the 60's is all I know. I bought it when a local drug store was going out of business. Back then, before gun control was invented, a lot of stores sold guns. It's a cheap gun. I paid about $75 IIRC. The stock broke years ago and I fiberglassed it back together. The reason I like it is because it fits me so well. I've shot other doubles and most are too straight. I have a long neck and I can't get down on them which makes me shoot high. This one has more drop to the stock and I can shoot it fine. I wish I could afford a quality gun made to the same dimensions.
I haven't hunted with it in a long time but it stays handy in the house with loads of buckshot inside. A double is a good self defense gun. Besides being fast to reload, a bad guy gets intimidated when looking down into 2 big black holes pointed at his chest.

I have the same gun. I bought it a Meijers in the early 70's still in fine shape!
A Spanish made Richland Arms 20 gauge SxS. I bought it and an early 10-22 from a coworker for $100.
Well years a go when my grandad passed my cousin made off with the 1906 Winchester. I ended up with the 12 ga Iver Johnson Champion single shot. All ways wanted a decent 1906 ,but one that would shoot 22 LR. Grandpas would only shoot shorts. Found one for $225 a few years back that looked rough but had a perfect bore, it sits in the corner of the entry way ready to go. I live in the country where we take care of whatever business we need to.
H&R single shot 20. Killed snakes, squirrels, rabbits and disarmed a felon with it.

[Linked Image]
Mossberg 500 20 gauge.
788s in .222 and .223 Rem.
High standard 22 magnum Mk IV. I have killed 1 rattle snake and a number cats. I bought it in the Army PX 1976.

kwg
High standard 22 magnum Mk IV. I have killed 1 rattle snake and a number cats. I bought it in the Army PX 1976.

kwg
Mine is a Jap 99 . A friend gave it to me . He had never shot it . Some one had turned the barrel back and chambered it to 300sav. I checked it and it had headspace so it became a 308 win.

It shot very well with jacket or cast loads .I eventually put a scope on it even . It is lite and just a fun gun .
Originally Posted by Whelenman
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

I have the same gun. I bought it a Meijers in the early 70's still in fine shape!

My BIL bought one at the same time I did. They had 2 on the shelf. Mine is choked IC/M and his is M/F. We've patterned them and there really isn't much difference. His is in much better shape than mine but mine has had a lot more hard use.
This little Thompson contender stays with me in my truck. It’s a .22lr with a Leopold 2-7 and Burris rings.

[Linked Image]
FEG PA63...For those not familiar with it. It’s a Hungarian copy of the Walther PP and is chambered in 9mm Makarov. I got it years ago for (iirc) less than $150. There are some better than others and mine is a beauty. Never a fail to function and more accurate than a pocket pistol needs or can be expected to be. Since my brother appropriated my SP 101 it’s been the reason I don’t get another snubby revolver.
Have a few. Got an Israeli made Timberwolf in 357 a few years ago. Friend of friend had it. Got it at cost about 25 yrs ago for doing some work for a guy. Shot it 20 rounds and put it in his safe for 18 years. Sold it to me for $210 with 5 boxes of ammo minus the 20. All sorts of fun to play with. Last I saw was one over $1k on gunbroker. It won't leave. Quite a few yrs ago I went to a guys house with another friend. He sold me a Rem rolling block, a semi auto 22 made by High Standard and a Savage 24 in 22 mag over 410 for $400. The 24 is my front door gun if any creature like skunks wanders close. The roller is broken down and polished for a build. The 22 is with the other 22s for when I want to play with it.
An H&R topper 12 ga. 24" turkey gun gets hauled on the ATV a lot here.

Mistreated Ruger single six' & Blackhawks are a prize when found at a beater price.
I have a Savage striker 10 inch barrel handgun in 17 HMR w/ a Bushnell 2-6x32 which is a bit out of the ordinary. I enjoy it quite a bit.

Also there is a Springfield 03 in the safe. A1? I don't know for sure. It was my wife's Dad's deer rifle and is still 30-06. The stock has been bubba cut, I think. Possibly replaced with something very crude, but functional.

It still has the ladder sight, and I can shoot it pretty darn well. It will hit minute of watermelon, personal size, out to 300 yds with LC 67 FMJ from prone.

There is no doubt in my mind that our doughboys had the best target rifle in the world when they headed overseas.

Might possibly shoot a Rem 14 in 30 Rem a bit if brass were not unobtanium.
When I was a kid I had a single shot 12gs Long Tom shotgun.

That SOB would kill at one end, and cripple on the other!
H& r .410......
My Mossberg 500 has done it all. I have made a lot of great memories with that shotgun.
BSA model E (factory sporterized m1917) with left hand stock:
[Linked Image]

Sporterized m1917 with left hand stock:
[Linked Image]

They are my "go to" hunting rifles.
Stevens 311; 16 Ga. gifted by a silly nephew because the barrel was badly pitted he said. I discovered that pitted barrels can be restored to as new condition with Hoppes #9. I show it to uninvited or unwelcome guests, mostly after nightfall. It impresses them without exception.
have an old sears single shot .22 rimfire, bolt action made by marlin.

sits in the bathroom, and is very efficient with yard predators.

you know, squirrels after bird food, chipmunks, etc. etc.
Originally Posted by noKnees
I was doing a little post season scouting/walkabout yesterday and took my old H&R 20ga single shot just in case I saw a something that needed shooting. That little 20ga only weighs 5lbs or so, is not in the best of cosmetic shape and is the least valuable gun I own, but sees a good number of days out every year. I use for rabbits, squirrels, grouse and have shot a couple of coyotes with it. It seems to go along because its so light and can do so many things.

I remember those shotguns being on the rack in the gun store where I worked during the 1980s. They always intrigued me because they seemed well made and were always for sale for less than $100.00.
Ruger77 tang in .30-06 - $80, plus Accraglas kit, and Decelerator pad. I cut muzzle bulge off to 17", beaded exterior rust off and reblued , slimmed forend and shortened stock fore and aft to proportion with barrel and to fit wife. A "carbine" 10 years before Ruger got around t it. I carry it a lot, with a 1 " slip on pad over the Deceleratr so it fits me better.

First thing I killed with it was a ram at @ 330 yrds, 7 days later a moose at 70 yards or so. Mark that expense "paid"! smile

It has taken more sheep, moose, caribou and bear since. 1.25 MOA with almost anything, sufficient to 400 yards (with that rifle/me combo).
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
I wish I could find a "cheap gun".

Isn't that the truth. laugh
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Stevens 311; 16 Ga. gifted by a silly nephew because the barrel was badly pitted he said. I discovered that pitted barrels can be restored to as new condition with Hoppes #9. I show it to uninvited or unwelcome guests, mostly after nightfall. It impresses them without exception.

laugh

Yeah, a good double has that effect on dirtbags.
Originally Posted by hanco
I bought a Savage Hog Hunter in 308 for the threaded barrel. It’s damn near a one hole rifle. I’m a magnum guy, but that 308 kills deer and pigs as well as my cannons. I have a couple Savage 6.5 Creedmoor rifles. Just as accurate. I had always turned my nose up at Savage rifles, fine rifles for the price.

I did the exact same thing a couple years ago. in that time that rifle has killed 12 antelope, 16 deer, 2 coyotes and 2 elk. it's my number 1 go to rifle for big game hands down. my wife and son use it too so I'm in the process of putting together duplicate set ups so I can get mine back!
Don't use it much , but got an old Savage 340 in 30-30 with a Lyman 4x , best shooting 30-30 I ever shot . Was beat to hell when I got it , still a rough looking bugger and action is rough , but she shoots good and don't mind the weather .
Kenneth
Years ago I bought an old Remington Model 41 single shot .22 rifle. The action and barrel are a single piece of steel. That old bolt action is still plenty accurate and serves me well as a farm gun.
i have a lot of old guns, since i have been collecting for years and have only sold one or two in my lifetime. But as the single shot topper 20 guage was mentioned multiple times. That was my first shotgun at about age nine. I made the mistake of wanting more firepower so it got traded in on a remington 870 in 16 guage, which i still have. but i regretted forever trading in that single shooter. so.... at gun shows everytime i saw one couldn't break myself from buying them. so i have multiple copies now. and still wish i had the original one.
i have turn of the century as in 1900 shotguns in .410 that i still use now and then today.
I did buy a 340 last year having always admired them. might shoot it someday.
I like my Remington model 510 “Target Master”...... single shot bolt 22. Usually find them for 50-150 bucks at the gun shows. I have one that I got from my dad that I refinished and drilled/tapped for scope mounts with a Leupold 2-7 on it.... Scary accurate and built a little heavier..... more full size than a lot of other 22’s. I have 4 others, plan on fixing them up for my kids when they outgrow their chipmunks.
Originally Posted by papat
Got an Israeli made Timberwolf in 357 a few years ago. Friend of friend had it. Got it at cost about 25 yrs ago for doing some work for a guy. Shot it 20 rounds and put it in his safe for 18 years. Sold it to me for $210 with 5 boxes of ammo minus the 20. All sorts of fun to play with. Last I saw was one over $1k on gunbroker. It won't leave.

I bought one of these a few years back but paid a little more than the $210 than you did, $750 iirc., I probably should give it a whirl.
My old Ithaca Model 37 12 gauge plain barrel Dad bought me when I was 12. It's seen a lot of hunts and a lot of ammo. Always handy for pests on the farm. I've owned my share of shotguns over the years and it's my favorite for hunting.
I bought a Stevens model 200 in .223 with a 3x9 Nikon pro staff used for $125. The guy didn't like the Tupperware stock. It shoots tiny groups and rides behind the seat of the pickup!
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by noKnees

I remember those shotguns being on the rack in the gun store where I worked during the 1980s. They always intrigued me because they seemed well made and were always for sale for less than $100.00.

You mean you never owned one? I've had them in 10,12,20,28, and 410 gauges.
I shoot trap with a Mossberg 500 AHTD that I paid $110 for back in 1975 and have yet to break a part on it. It must havw over 5000 rounds through it and still works great. It has a Boyds roll over cheekpiece, thumbhole stock on it and a Briley light full extended choke tube in it and is deadly from the 27 yard line.
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter

Might possibly shoot a Rem 14 in 30 Rem a bit if brass were not unobtanium.

Graf's has it for a $1 per piece. Break out the 14 and have at it.
For 22 rimfire knock abouts I use either a Remington 514 or Marlin 25 for long guns and an Iver Johnson Sealed 8 as a handgun.
Centerfires it's either a Bubba'd 1906 Lee-Enfield or a Remington Model 8 in 35 Rem. Hanguns typically are a S&W 66 or an old Webley in 38 S&W.
Shotguns are an old Iver Johnson 16 ga single shot or a Winchester 23 in 12 ga.
For both the odd and cheap win, it'd be a straight pull Mannlicher M95. It was picked up on a whim for $75, including 14 loaded clips. With a high enough front sight to zero it at 100, it's a handy little carbine.
Stevens Westpoint 948 20 ga. full choke.

50 bucks!

[Linked Image]
I have a H&R Topper Junior in 410 I keep by the back door to keep the limb rats off my wife's bird feeder. It was a gift from my Dad when I was 10 years old. I think he gave $15 for it.
I have Savage 22 Mag that was cheap that I like. But I would like it better if it was higher quality would mean it would have to cost more.
Interarms Mini-Mark X in 223. I paid well under $300 for it and it rode with me everywhere for a decade or more.
H&R 410 bought about 50 years ago, M24 Savage 222/20ga., Marlin N25 22lr. bought about 30 years ago at a flea market.
Favor 788's over 700's. I currently have 4 but am about to sell one.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
I bough 2 marlin 25s one from the 60s & one from the 70s for 40.00. & a iver Johnson 410 ss yhat I found in a old house at my lease where the old black timber workers use to live . they all where ruff but still shoot
Penchant for beat up 870's that I try to configure to my liking and stature.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Like 11-48's too. Especially in the small gauges..

[Linked Image]

Fan of 7600's also.

[Linked Image]

dmc what cal ?
I've got Rem Model 8 in 25Rem. Kind of hard to find shootable ammo so I turn the rim off and resize 30-30 cases to Rem 25 specs and trim. That little auto rifle is a hoot to shoot! While not expensive, the necessary loading hardware is available.

I really "f'd" that up! ............you'll also need the assistance of a lathe to cut the extractor groove. Minor detail, right?
Originally Posted by 44mc
dmc what cal ?

Which gun?
dmc what cal ?

The 788 I'll be selling is a .222 Rem.
Originally Posted by DMc
dmc what cal ?

Are you insane?
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by DMc
dmc what cal ?

Are you insane?

I have a .223 in the same rifle. I'm not big on redundancy.
one of my all time favourites is an old JM stamped marlin 444s. It shoots very well, and just gets it done. My old Savage 99 in 300 gets a lot of use too.
835 ulti mag Turkey gun

Probably had 6 or 7 of em over the last 9 or 10 years.

Used em as trade bait or sell for other guns

Common

easy to find

Just keep my .670 extended and ported rhino choke and try glo pro series sights for the next one.
Throw 290 - 300 10 inch patterns at 40 yards with LB 3.5 2oz #6.
Common gun in production readily found for 200 ish used in vg condition around here.
thanks dmc I have been lookin for a 3030 or a 44 cuzz I don't have one I like odd ball guns
A 1903 22 auto and a 1907 351 win sl both 110 years old and my two old 303 lee enfields and my 1950 era win 94 in 30/30
thanks dmc I have been lookin for a 3030 or a 44 cuzz I don't have one I like odd ball guns

Those are the calibers I have. 44, 30-30, 223 & 222. The 223 cuts tacks a fraction closer than the 222., but before I sell it, I gotta scrounge the Timney trigger out of it and into the .223. Will be swapping stocks also

Incidentally you'll probably never shoot a more accurate 44 Mag or 30-30.

DMc
Originally Posted by DMc
Originally Posted by DMc
dmc what cal ?

Are you insane?

Are you insane?
Originally Posted by DMc

Those are the calibers I have. 44, 30-30, 223 & 222. The 223 cuts tacks a fraction closer than the 222., but before I sell it, I gotta scrounge the Timney trigger out of it and into the .223. Will be swapping stocks also

DMc

I have never seen one in a .44.

Do they feed well?
Originally Posted by DMc

DMc

I have never seen one in a .44.

Do they feed well?

Never had an issue...

[Linked Image]

Best,
McInsano..
Originally Posted by DMc
Originally Posted by DMc
dmc what cal ?

Are you insane?

Are you insane?

Why anyone would sell a 788, especially in .222, I’ll never understand.
Originally Posted by cra1948

Bet it brings more than he paid for it... smile

Based on the insanity comments, I'd say he's got a gold mine.
Madness!

Fugkin' madness!
a friends wife at my lease started hunting 5 years ago at 62 with one in 3030 with the lite recoil 125 gr fac load and kills anything she shoots at drt .been trying to get a 44 that a guy has but he holds out tell he needs the money bad took 5 years to get a first year 44 ruger deerstalker from him

A Winchester 41 .410 for opening day doves $100

A Savage 23D .22 Hornet for ground Squirrels $149

Marlin 101 .22 Bolt Action from FIL

Winchester 53 rebored to .357 shooting cast bullets during the .22 lr shortage
I once won a big skeet shooting contest with a beat up cheapo borrowed Mossberg pump 12 gauge.

I couldn't miss. Tried to buy it, but he wouldn't take my 100 bucks.

Because though they're nice rifles, the only thing special about them is some people's willingness to overpay for one.
My son's Savage Cub and my daughter's Savage Rascal are about the most fun you can have with a gun.

As an aside, I can't believe shrap' and 'flave admitted to owning Savage's in the same thread.

You gotta' remember the title was about "cheap" guns...
Rem 788 .308 20 inch barrel
85% condition wood and bluing
Pristine clean strong bore
No signs of bolt face compression

300 bucks

Yea or may
Good deal...

(I already know the answer)

Kinda been bugging me after looking at it again wensday.
Been their 2 or 3 months
Customers dont know what it is for the most part.
Sitting in a tacticool shop on consignment.
I
Originally Posted by renegade50

300 bucks

Yea or may
Good deal...

Been their 2 or 3 months

Bolt face compression?
A great fellow member here gave me an Ithaca 49 to use with my young sons. We have put a big pile of 22LR ammo through that little rifle. It’s a favorite.
massachusetts arms 410 single. probably built by stevens and sons
i just point it at grouse and they fall over. death on wood rats too. only finish on it is rust.
Originally Posted by hardway
I like my Remington model 510 “Target Master”...... single shot bolt 22. Usually find them for 50-150 bucks at the gun shows. I have one that I got from my dad that I refinished and drilled/tapped for scope mounts with a Leupold 2-7 on it.... Scary accurate and built a little heavier..... more full size than a lot of other 22’s. I have 4 others, plan on fixing them up for my kids when they outgrow their chipmunks.

My brother got a cut down rem 510 for $7 in the 1970s.
He has killed a lot of things with it and I have killed a lot.
He welded up a rear sight for it. I extended the stock.
After I reached 40, my eyesight went, and I drilled and tapped for a scope.

Trying to relive my youth, I have bought (5) more Rem 510s;
$60 in 2008
$100 in 2013
$165 in 2013
$89 in 2016
$79 in 2017
I paid $39.00 for a Remington 14 in 35 Remington once years ago. It was a rust bucket, with a busted stock, but it had all its parts, a receiver sight and a perfect bore. A replacement stock only took a month to come up with and by the time it had arrived, I had converted the rust to a "rich, even patina". It shot great, looked good and made a great woods rifle. A new generation has it now that I gave it to my son and it's still killing deer after a 100 years...
I
Originally Posted by renegade50

300 bucks

Yea or may
Good deal...

Been their 2 or 3 months

Bolt face compression?

I cant explain as well as this
But looking for tiny hair iine cracks and kinda a slight dimpled bowl curvature appearance of the bolt face sinking into and around the firing pin hole.
Smack Mark's on bottom of bolt knob where someone been wailing on it.

Cut copy paste stuff below

I found alot of stuff on em years ago when I was working on slumlords and researching on em.

Because there is so much bolt in between the lugs and the boltface that area can compress/bend during recoil. When the bolt flexes the headspace increases, the brass expands to fill the chamber, and when the bolt decompresses the case holds the bolt lugs in a bind against the abutments in the receiver, because the brass is now oversized. Then the shooter tries to hammer open the bolt with a chunk of 2x4 or a deadblow hammer, and the handle breaks off. It is essentially the same effect as a stuck case only longitudinally as opposed to latitudinally. The 788s in .308 by all accounts seem to have the biggest problem with this. Just know that a 788 will not take as much pressure successfully as other bolt actions (700,70, et al).
Still shooting my Mossberg 500 20ga from the late 60's.
My first shotgun in my early teens.
We have the savage cub mini too. Awesome little rifle.
Originally Posted by shrapnel

You gotta' remember the title was about "cheap" guns...

Yeah, 788 in .222 ain’t going for cheap.

But with the .223 and not wanting redundancy, that would be the one to sell.

DF
Iver johnson champion .410 is a backdoor swatter. Basically a forerunner to the HR with nicer lines, same basic design.
Originally Posted by shrapnel

I paid $40.00 for this savage 410 over 410 and it was mint when I bought it. I beat the hell out of it grouse hunting and didn't realize it was worth several hundred dollars. I paid $40.00 for it and treated it like a $40.00 gun...

[Linked Image]

Cheer up Strap, what you really did was maintain your investment as it is likely still worth $40?
I have an old Win 57 trainer that I bout for $40 at a pawn shop a long time ago. Took the receiver sight off, had it dovetailed for a scope and bobbed the barrel back to 20". It is the most accurate rifle I've ever seen and with me a lot.
H & R 32 ga Special, It's actually a dart "projector". Place an adapter in the bore behind the dart that uses .22 blank to launch it. Shotshells are available for it, probably mirrors a .410.

Jap Arisaka 7.7 rechambered to .308 fitted with a beautiful sporter walnut stock, just original open sights. A cousin (and close friend of my father) had obtained it during his service in the Korean War, and had the work done. He passed away way too young at age 39 and I bought it for $60.00 at his farm auction in 1969. Good shooter, killed my first deer with it at age 13.
Originally Posted by Steelhead
H&R single shot 20. Killed snakes, squirrels, rabbits and disarmed a felon with it.

[Linked Image]

Tell us about this felon.
My IHC M1 that I paid the old DCM $165 shipped to my door is my cheap gun I use a lot. I don't think I have any real odd guns. I do have a Arisaka 38 that was rebarreled to .257 Roberts, cut down stock, bent bolt and Lyman peep added. It is a remarkably accurate rifle. Makes a solid whack on steel at 100 yds.
My Glenfield model 60 in .22lr is nothing special except to me. It's seen a lot of miles and a lot of years, and still works every time I pull the trigger. The mossberg 3 shot bolt action shotgun has killed everything from birds and rabbits to deer. The only repair ever needed has been the extractors were replaced due to becoming weak. I have more expensive, newer guns, but these two old timers will always get the job done.
Last year or so I've been getting my dad's old Iver Johnson Champion 16 ga. single shot out more often. Saw someone else mention one earlier in the thread. It's light and fast pointing and doesn't pound the snot out of you like some of those old single shot 12 ga. guns will. That's the odd one. For the cheap one does 302 bucks qualify as cheap? That's what a brand new base model Henry .22 lever gun cost me with tax when it was on sale back in October. The action is very smooth, it's got a great trigger and I'm having a ball with that one all out of proportion to what it cost me.
Originally Posted by smarquez
Originally Posted by Steelhead

[Linked Image]

Tell us about this felon.

Guy at gunpoint
Doesn't really qualify as cheap, so I guess I'll go for the unusual angle. I've got a Hi Standard Sport King pistol that's a smoothbore. Not really, but there' s not a hint of rifling left in the old girl. Dad bought it new at KMart back in the 60's. I'm guessing it's got several hundred thousand rounds down the pipe. I should try to find a barrel and a mainspring for it. It's a nice little plinker. Lots of sparrows, chipmunks and squirrels met their demise in front of this little shooter.
I have a ca.1912 single shot 16 gauge Springfield shotgun that was my Great Uncle's. He bought it new and my Dad hunted with it when he visited him in Alabama in the 1940s. I got it when he died. It just feels better than any other shotgun I've had, and I hunted with it a lot in my younger days.
10-22 and rem 870 20 gauge.
A Mossberg 500 20 ga purchased new for $70 at Kmart in 1975. Still functions flawlessly and has accounted for countless, pats, woodcock, rabbits, squirrels, clay pigeons, and a few of deer.

$80 for an H&R 20 gauge
$90 for an H&R 410 and it came with an extra youth stock
$150 for an H&R 30/30 that is way more accurate than I ever figured it would be

I also have an H&R 12 gauge but it's rather punishing. I had a mixed bag of 12 gauge ammo when I first got it and thought that the 2 3/4" high brass 6's were stout. I wasn't paying attention when I dropped a 3" Winchester HV turkey load in it, holy F balls.
I bought a Savage break action single shot 20 gauge when I was a sophomore in High School. Killed vast numbers of varmints and small game - rabbits, squirrel, coon, possum, a fox or two, probably some nutria. Also bagged some deer and a few feral hogs with it. Later in life I cut the barrel down and made the neatest night-time swamp rabbit gun I've ever had out of it!

Closest thing I have now that gives me similar feelings are two Herter's revolvers - a .44magnum and another in .401 Herter's.

Mike Holmes
Originally Posted by DMc
Favor 788's over 700's. I currently have 4 but am about to sell one.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

What do you plan to peddle???
OMG I miss my little Savage Model 24 "Camper's Companion" 20" .22/20 ga every time I think of it, I loved that gun.

All my own photos are still in Photobucket jail so I lifted this photo off of the net....

[Linked Image]

Single shot, short stock, perfect for teaching a kid to shoot. Taught my son and a few of his friends.

Good times too sitting out, idly passing the Mod 24 back and forth, one shot each, plinking at cans more'n 100 yards out.

Wanna feel like a stud? Load a slug in that little gun and let her rip, I dunno if they're all that way, but the open choke on mine would fire slugs in the same vertical plane as the .22. Sight the .22 in at 50 and then use the base of the front sight as the post and it was also on at that range with slugs.

Shooting at clays I could easily reload it fast enough to miss twice smile

Popped apart in just seconds, went back together almost as fast. It became my go-to gun in handgun-unfriendly New York State, numerous times leaning in a motel room or laying in a tent. One time in New Hampshire I was really glad to have it at hand when we encountered some druggie low lifes in the woods up by the Seven (??) Lakes.

Damn I miss it frown

I gave it to my son and his little daughter shoots it. I guess we don't get to keep 'em forever.
Originally Posted by RiverRider

What do you plan to peddle???

PM sent
I don't remember seeing the Marlin 60 .22 LR mentioned.

Those are really cheap and shoot great.

The biggest issue is ejection and that's an easy fix. The ejector is the end of a spring, which must be bent in enough and up enough to fully engage the groove in the bolt body. There are videos on line how to accomplish this.

DF
H&R 20 ga (first gun). Still use it a ton.
Marlin 25MN 22WMR...I have killed more with this rifle than probably all my other rifles combined.
Ruger P95 my Dad gave me. Didn't think I'd care for it much, ended up liking it more than my Glock 19. Accurate, never an issue with it.
© 24hourcampfire