Home
Posted By: Steelhead This - 01/12/19
Becomes that. The French got a few things right. French onion soup is perfect for a cold, rainy day.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: alwaysoutdoors Re: This - 01/12/19
Is that jimmy dean sausage?
Posted By: Ghostinthemachine Re: This - 01/12/19
Posted By: ammoman16 Re: This - 01/12/19
That doesn't look like it sucks!
Posted By: saddlering Re: This - 01/12/19
Nice used to go to a Bar that made it ,Looked just like yours, was the best!
Posted By: Partsman Re: This - 01/12/19
I love a good french onion soup, not everyone can make it.
Yours looks great.
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: This - 01/12/19
Looks good Steelhead!
In this cold weather I also like a good bowl of homemade potato soup with some cheese & chunks of breakfast sausage in it.
Posted By: patbrennan Re: This - 01/12/19
Looks great, I love that stuff. Never could get it right myself. Got a recipe to share?
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: This - 01/12/19
Martha Stewart has a good recipe.
Posted By: ltppowell Re: This - 01/12/19
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
Is that jimmy dean sausage?

Lol...toast, you cave dweller.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: This - 01/12/19
Originally Posted by patbrennan
Looks great, I love that stuff. Never could get it right myself. Got a recipe to share?

Melt half a stick of butter, low heat

Add 3 pounds of thinly sliced sweet onions and stir to cover with butter. Cover cast iron pot and let simmer about 15 minutes.

Remove cover and turn heat to medium/low and stir frequently for about 40 mins until onions are caramelized

Add salt/pepper/thyme to taste, 1 cup dry white wine and 8 cups of beef stock.

Simmer on medium for 40mins or so.

Put toasted slices of baguette in crock, fill with soup. Cover with cheese and broil. Most recipes call for gruyere cheese but I like provolone cheese and broil for a few minutes. All done.

Sometimes I make beef stock by cooking down beef bones for a day, sometimes I just use store bought beef stock.
Posted By: m_stevenson Re: This - 01/13/19
We made that the other day in the Instant Pot.
It came out fabulous!
I put a venison neck roast in the Instant Pot and put in the remainder of the soup, and turned it on for 40 minutes.
After it was done the meat was pulled out and chopped up and added back to the soup.
Poured it over croutons with cheese on top and broiled for a few minutes.
It turned out great!
Posted By: Springcove Re: This - 01/13/19
Looks good. Do you do carry out?
Posted By: Sako Re: This - 01/13/19
love the stuff.....
Posted By: gunner500 Re: This - 01/13/19
NICE! beats what I had for supper, a big ol giant elvis sandwich on homemade wheat bread, an apple, another banana and a quart of fresh cows milk.
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: This - 01/13/19
Stir for 40 minutes?! eek

I’d lose interest.
Originally Posted by Reloder28

I’d lose interest.

No way man, have your Wife do it while you're sitting having coffee watching her hips wiggle. wink a woman cant stir anything without looking like they're wearing a hula-hoop/
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: This - 01/13/19
Originally Posted by gunner500

I’d lose interest.

No way man, have your Wife do it while you're sitting having coffee watching her hips wiggle. wink a woman cant stir anything without looking like they're wearing a hula-hoop/
lol
They just hot EE. grin
Posted By: efw Re: This - 01/13/19
Scott thanks for this the pics made my mouth water and recipe is great I’m gonna try this!
Posted By: Old_Toot Re: This - 01/13/19
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Originally Posted by patbrennan

Melt half a stick of butter, low heat

Add 3 pounds of thinly sliced sweet onions and stir to cover with butter. Cover cast iron pot and let simmer about 15 minutes.

Remove cover and turn heat to medium/low and stir frequently for about 40 mins until onions are caramelized

Add salt/pepper/thyme to taste, 1 cup dry white wine and 8 cups of beef stock.

Simmer on medium for 40mins or so.

Put toasted slices of baguette in crock, fill with soup. Cover with cheese and broil. Most recipes call for gruyere cheese but I like provolone cheese and broil for a few minutes. All done.

Sometimes I make beef stock by cooking down beef bones for a day, sometimes I just use store bought beef stock.

Tomorrow. Ohh, yeah.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: This - 01/13/19
It's really easy. It is important to keep on top of those onions and stir till they are caramelized. Getting that right is key. You can add a little flour a few minutes prior to adding the liquids to slightly thinking. Just a little. I forgo it.
Posted By: GreatWaputi Re: This - 01/13/19
NICE! beats what I had for supper, a big ol giant elvis sandwich on homemade wheat bread, an apple, another banana and a quart of fresh cows milk.

Peanut butter, Bacon, banana?
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi

Peanut butter, Bacon, banana?

LOL, no bacon, take a big bread knife and slice you off a couple pieces from the loaf, toast them, throw one slice in the bottom of a big shallow bowl, cover it with about an inch tall layer of homemade peanut butter, slice up a banana or two on top, cover with the last piece of toast and mash it on good, grab a quart of milk and a fork, ate that with another banana and a big honey crisp apple.
Posted By: doctor_Encore Re: This - 01/13/19
Scott,

Your french onion soup looks like "Restaurant Soup".....you have more than one talent. Just add cooking to your list.
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: This - 01/13/19
I'll be making that very soon.

I've been on a soup jag lately and bought a lifetime supply of Baguette's yesterday so I need another place to use them up.

Gotta get the right cheese first though.
I'm making clam chowder next week. That and the French Onion are the only soups I make, the wife does all the others. Her chicken soup is to die for.
Posted By: ltppowell Re: This - 01/13/19
Originally Posted by doctor_Encore
Scott,

Your french onion soup looks like "Restaurant Soup".....you have more than one talent. Just add cooking to your list.

You ought to see him shoot.
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Scott,

Blow me
Posted By: Batchief909 Re: This - 01/13/19
Gonna have to try it! Looks great Scott!
Posted By: ltppowell Re: This - 01/13/19
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Scott,

Blow me

Lol
Posted By: Hammerdown Re: This - 01/13/19
Scott, your soup looks great. I'm sure it taste great too.
This is one of my favorite soups. It's always better on cold wet days.

Comfort foods.
Posted By: frogman43 Re: This - 01/13/19
Good looking soup!
Posted By: m_stevenson Re: This - 01/13/19

I’d lose interest.

Where's that darn Like button anyway?
Posted By: patbrennan Re: This - 01/13/19
Thanks for the recipe Scott.
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: This - 01/13/19
Big fan, myself. Do you add a little Madeira wine to the soup before you add the bread and cheese, then into the oven? If not, try it.
Posted By: Taconic11 Re: This - 01/13/19
A package of Knorr Au Ju makes for a quick & easy beef stock for French Onion Soup.
Originally Posted by m_stevenson

I’d lose interest.

grin
Posted By: shootinurse Re: This - 01/13/19
Good stuff there.
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: This - 01/14/19
Originally Posted by m_stevenson

No kidding. I'm really looking forward to trying my hand at making a batch.
I even have a couple of those soup crocks that I bought at a yard sale ready and waiting.
Hope they're broiler safe.
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: This - 01/14/19
Looks delicious Scott !

As you said, it's important to pay attention to your onions. Haven't done it in a long time.

Seems this week will work though !
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: This - 01/14/19

I’d lose interest.

TFF
© 24hourcampfire