Home
Posted By: Fireball2 Need some backup lights - 01/24/19
on an old Toyota. I've replaced the stock bulbs with led's but that's not cutting it. Any ideas?
Posted By: ol_mike Re: Need some backup lights - 01/24/19
Auxbeam .
Posted By: Swifty52 Re: Need some backup lights - 01/24/19
Originally Posted by Fireball2
on an old Toyota. I've replaced the stock bulbs with led's but that's not cutting it. Any ideas?

Backup camera, fits over your rear plate.
Posted By: Sakoluvr Re: Need some backup lights - 01/24/19
Rigid Industries but they are expensive.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Need some backup lights - 01/24/19
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr

Reading up on those they sound good.
Posted By: sactoller Re: Need some backup lights - 01/24/19
Ridgid's are good and I run a few pairs on my 2012 JKU, In my rear bumper makes for some bright light.
Posted By: BobMt Re: Need some backup lights - 01/24/19
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr

Reading up on those they sound good.

I have piaa lights front and rear......taking the back ones out and putting 4" flood lights in.....murdochs or napa...about $25...bob
Posted By: Snyper Re: Need some backup lights - 01/24/19
Use a "fog light"
Posted By: cwh2 Re: Need some backup lights - 01/24/19
Any cheapo LEDs will work. I flush mounted a set of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...sin_title_o07__o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
in the rear bumper of my truck and wired them into the reverse lights. They are awesome.

I have no doubt that Ridgid ones are better, but for $20 I can't complain.
Posted By: tndrbstr Re: Need some backup lights - 01/24/19
Use a set of post mount work lights and turn them on with a toggle switch.
Posted By: badger Re: Need some backup lights - 01/24/19
Originally Posted by cwh2
Any cheapo LEDs will work. I flush mounted a set of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...sin_title_o07__o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
in the rear bumper of my truck and wired them into the reverse lights. They are awesome.

I have no doubt that Ridgid ones are better, but for $20 I can't complain.

This. Any of the budget priced LED cube lights would be more than adequate.
What about longevity of the cheapies? My experience with any type of lights from China is about two uses and they die.
Posted By: EQFD193 Re: Need some backup lights - 01/24/19
Another vote for Rigid !!
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Need some backup lights - 01/24/19
I have a pair of these LED's hanging under my bumper with a switch under the dash. They light it up nicely. Under $20/pair from Amazon.

[Linked Image]
I can't hang anything under my bumper. This is an offroad truck.
First you have to figure out where you have a place to put lights then start looking for something that will work in that space. Those lights hang down only 2" below the bumper and I have pieces of heavy angle iron in front of them. They don't hang down as far as my receiver hitch.
Anybody have any idea how long the cheapies last?
Posted By: Sakoluvr Re: Need some backup lights - 01/24/19
I have some that I bought from Amazon that I put on my 4wheeler. They are about 3 years old. A light bar and a third headlight. The 4wheeler stays under cover in the barn or my garage though.
Rigid has a handy tool so you can see what the lights look like running-

https://www.rigidindustries.com/lights.html

Those in the pic I posted seem to last quite a while. I've had a pair on the top of my UTV for 2 years and they've taken a beating. I've had more problems with wire connections than with the lights. Those come in either spot or flood, BTW. Flood makes better backup lights.
Thanks rockchuck. I think I'll get a pair of those flush mounts above and cut them into the back bumper for backups. I got on Rigid's website above and went thru the light tester setup and ended up ordering a 20" light bar for the front.
Posted By: GeorgeS3 Re: Need some backup lights - 01/24/19
just ordered some Offroadtown lights from amazon. A friend just put them on his tundra. They are bright and inexpensive.
Posted By: cwh2 Re: Need some backup lights - 02/06/19

I've never killed one. Have fogged a few cheep china LEDs but two of those have been submerged on multiple occasions. Those are on a trail rig that doesn't see a lot of miles, but the miles are not easy ones.

The ones I linked have only been on the truck for a few months, so no long term report.

Sorry for the late reply. That's how often I venture into the time suck.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Need some backup lights - 02/06/19
I ordered the 3x3.25" off Amazon but they didn't fit the bumper. They'll go on the wifes truck. I found these local and they were a good fit.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The downside to a flush mount light is you are at the mercy of the angle of the bumper as they don't adjust. But they are bright!
The front one's are done as well. RIGID makes an amazing fixture. Looks like daylight over 100 yards in front of the truck. The additional two round Warn lights cover the banks along the roadside so I can see deer entering the road from above.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: mtnsnake Re: Need some backup lights - 02/06/19
Awesome lights and I like the side lights too.
The RIGID website was a big help with their interactive display showing distance and spread of each fixtures coverage. When these guys said expensive, they were right. I was surprised they didn't come with any kind of rock shield for daytime driving. I used 4" pvc, split it, shaped it, and painted it black to fashion an attractive shield. It keeps the fixture out of sight too. I also bought the theft resistant nuts for the hardware. I came up with an idea similar looking to a socket that would shield the nuts on the mounting hardware so thieves couldn't get a vice grip on the nuts to remove the fixture. When I get time I'll fashion a set.
© 24hourcampfire