Home
Ford has just patented a hybrid V8 with AWD. Word is that for now, they plan to use it in a Mustang but there's speculation that it could be used in a 1/2 ton in another year. This article says that it's different in that it it drives the rears normally through a transmission while it has 2 electric motors to drive the fronts.
HYBRID V8
Not interested.
Nope.

The EcoBoost and Stop-Start technology are enough for me. Have driven F150’s for the last 38 years.
What could possibly go wrong with this cluster.................
God help us.
NFW
Well, if you guys don't like the hybrid F150, you're really going to get heartburn over the new electric-only F150....

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a25933730/ford-f-150-electric-pickup-truck-confirmed/
It will need some good tech systems to balance the torque/speed between the front/rear.
It exists, but I know what it takes to sync drive motors on our machines at work.
I guess traction control can do it, but that will be balancing the throttle with the slip in
rapidly alternating cycles.

Ok for the guy that drives a truck because he "don't like" cars.

Not good for a truck that works in nasty environments.

But, then I only really trust locking hubs and a shift lever.
These will sell big in Boulder Colorado........and the likes.
Fix Or Repair Daily.
I’ll pass
Just bought a 19 Silverado, early yet but a very nice truck.
Sounds like a cluster, but then remember when autolocking hubs were a big NFW? [bleep] happens.
Ok for the guy that drives a truck because he "don't like" cars.

Not good for a truck that works in nasty environments.
The biggest truck market now is suburbia. Most of them don't need a 3/4 or off road capability. They haul a little fertilizer for the lawn and their golf clubs. That's the same market that Toyota aims at in their refusal to make a 3/4 ton or diesel Tundra.
Yeah, but Toyota tells everybody the Tundra is "like" a 3/4 ton.
Atlis truck... I would never get one, but i do like some of the features it has going. It says up to 500 miles, big pulling power. And 12-15 inches of ground clearance.. Sure sounds good on there website .But real world driving and pulling who knows....
Originally Posted by Dutch
Well, if you guys don't like the hybrid F150, you're really going to get heartburn over the new electric-only F150....

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a25933730/ford-f-150-electric-pickup-truck-confirmed/

Why would anyone get heartburn?

I don't care what others drive. They buy it, they can drive it...
I'd prefer the fully electric model.
I have two Dodge diesel trucks, happy with them.
Lots of hunters are paying $10K for electric hunting buggies. PHEV 4x4s will be welcome by those who keep a truck payment.
Not for me either. Thirsty sits in the garage until I need to do truck things. The Buick gets the daily driver chores because it is easier to park and it rides better. I don't much worry about gas mileage if the truck is doing what it is supposed to.
Originally Posted by noduck
Atlis truck... I would never get one, but i do like some of the features it has going. It says up to 500 miles, big pulling power. And 12-15 inches of ground clearance.. Sure sounds good on there website .But real world driving and pulling who knows....

Who drives that far without stopping for a pizz break anyway? I usually stop every couple hours just to get out and walk around, and if there's a restroom, I'll use it," just because". Nope, got no use for such a thing.
Can you imagine how quiet an electric truck would be for Roadhunting the West? Nighttime poaching with an electric truck and a 300 blackout with a can would be the s h i t!
So tell me, what great innovation has Yoda come up with lately? Oh that's right - nothing.

But they are going to increase from 5 to 6 lug nuts on their refreshed Blundra in order to keep up with every other 1/2 ton truck that has had 6 lugs for a couple decades. Yah Yoda!

You never said you'd buy a six cylinder engine in a truck either, now over half of the F150's sold have an Ecoboost six cylinder engine.

Try to keep up boys, I know change is hard for you but in the long run it does improve your lives whether you like it or not.
Originally Posted by walt501
So tell me, what great innovation has Yoda come up with lately? Oh that's right - nothing.

But they are going to increase from 5 to 6 lug nuts on their refreshed Blundra in order to keep up with every other 1/2 ton truck that has had 6 lugs for a couple decades. Yah Yoda!

You never said you'd buy a six cylinder engine in a truck either, now over half of the F150's sold have an Ecoboost six cylinder engine.

Try to keep up boys, I know change is hard for you but in the long run it does improve your lives whether you like it or not.

O U T T O L U N C H

O U T T O L U N C H

When you have no argument, try name calling.
Oh I have an argument, but I know when to use it when it's a waste of time.
[Linked Image]

Look at those gleaming six lug nuts on the refreshed (once again) Tundra. Does that make it a 3/4 ton truck now? Toyota should apply for some kind of patent on having six lugs nuts per wheel, don't you think? And it looks like it will get rear air suspension, same as the Ram. Which makes sense, since the Tundra was developed by Toyota engineers taking apart a Ram pick up in a Seattle warehouse. So just continue to do what Ram trucks do I guess. Don't believe me? I'm sure some of you here have access to the high ups at Toyota. Not that they'll ever admit in public to doing such a thing.

Why don't you tell me how?

Tell me how having an engine in my truck which will grenade at 175K is better than an engine which will pull to 300K. Tell me how periodically replacing a $multiK battery will benefit me over not having such a battery. Tell me how dealing with a turbo instead of a naturally aspirated gas engine in my pickup or car is better for me. And tell how electric motors, sensors, and solenoids which get continuously and repeatedly immersed and bathed in mud and water will add to the longevity and dependability of any vehicle. Tell me how any auto hubs, auto tranny, or traction control system adds to dependability or durability vs a good 4/5 speed manual tranny, transfer case, and lock out hubs.
No.....
Look, neanderthal, you want to keep living in the dark ages you are free to do so. Once upon a time the horse was viewed as more reliable than an automobile. How did that work out for the horse long term? In America, we are advancing all the time. If you want to remain in the past that's your prerogative, but the majority will welcome new advancements. Will they have problems? Sure they will. But eventually those problems are sorted out and we move on.
Look, neanderthal, you want to keep living in the dark ages you are free to do so. Once upon a time the horse was viewed as more reliable than an automobile. How did that work out for the horse long term? In America, we are advancing all the time. If you want to remain in the past that's your prerogative, but the majority will welcome new advancements. Will they have problems? Sure they will. But eventually those problems are sorted out and we move on.

Welcome Captain Progress. Don't tell me, you preach tolerance as long as it's only for progress? Don't seem very tolerant of the guys that like things other than what you approve of.
[Linked Image]

Look at those gleaming six lug nuts on the refreshed (once again) Tundra. Does that make it a 3/4 ton truck now? Toyota should apply for some kind of patent on having six lugs nuts per wheel, don't you think? And it looks like it will get rear air suspension, same as the Ram. Which makes sense, since the Tundra was developed by Toyota engineers taking apart a Ram pick up in a Seattle warehouse. So just continue to do what Ram trucks do I guess. Don't believe me? I'm sure some of you here have access to the high ups at Toyota. Not that they'll ever admit in public to doing such a thing.

Toyota routinely has six lug nuts, the newer Landcruisers have five nuts and they are heavier, no more ripping them off when doing up lug nuts and rated for a heavier load.
Originally Posted by Fireball2

Welcome Captain Progress. Don't tell me, you preach tolerance as long as it's only for progress? Don't seem very tolerant of the guys that like things other than what you approve of.

I don't give two schits what anyone buys. What I don't approve of is the endless domestic bashing while holding up foreign brands as superior. End that and I go away - got it? But tell me, in 2016 who did you vote for? I'm thinking Hillary, right? Had to be Hillary because the other guy was too pro America, right?

[Linked Image]

Or did you just conveniently forget that part?

I don't give two schits what anyone buys. What I don't approve of is the endless domestic bashing while holding up foreign brands as superior. End that and I go away - got it? But tell me, in 2016 who did you vote for? I'm thinking Hillary, right? Had to be Hillary because the other guy was too pro America, right?

[Linked Image]

Yeah, you got me pegged. Big Hillary supporter. LOL.

So I recognize that Toyota builds a damn dependable truck, which they do, and that Ford builds a truck engineered to break down just outside of warranty, which they do, so I must be a Hillary supporter?

OK got it.
I don't see an F 150 in my future PERIOD.....even if Ford knocked on the front door with a set of keys for a Free Brand New one.

An All electric F 150....wouldn't that essentially be the same thing as a really big golf cart?

Might be good for J.R. Ewing to drive around South Fork....if they have a glitzy model.

[Linked Image]

So I recognize that Toyota builds a damn dependable truck, which they do, and that Ford builds a truck engineered to break down just outside of warranty, which they do, so I must be a Hillary supporter?

OK got it.

Hey Roy, When the 2020 elections come around....can you swing by my place, in your Prius to pick me up so we can go down to the voting booth, and we can cast our votes for Alexandria Ocasia Cortez together...

It was fun last time around when we went together in the Prius and parked among all of those Ford pickups, that were made in Mexico.. them with their Trump stickers and the Prius with the Factory installed Hillary Sticker on your car.....and then get to piss off all of those rednecks celebrating voting for Hillary as all of we supporters had that tail gate party in the parking lot... that was fun.. hot dogs, wine coolers, lattes etc...
Originally Posted by Seafire

[Linked Image]

OK got it.

Hey Roy, When the 2020 elections come around....can you swing by my place, in your Prius to pick me up so we can go down to the voting booth, and we can cast our votes for Alexandria Ocasia Cortez together...

It was fun last time around when we went together in the Prius and parked among all of those Ford pickups, that were made in Mexico.. them with their Trump stickers and the Prius with the Factory installed Hillary Sticker on your car.....and then get to piss off all of those rednecks celebrating voting for Hillary as all of we supporters had that tail gate party in the parking lot... that was fun.. hot dogs, wine coolers, lattes etc...

Yeah John this time we'll stop by the Starbucks and get some jo to go. One thing about being a Hillary supporter, I don't understand why all those mean Ford truck drivers are so angry all the time. They need counselling or something. Big bullies.

Do you have any proof of those claims? Oh and don't bother with your own experience because statistically one data point is irrelevant. Please post your data backing your claims, right now. If your definition of reliability is never updating your truck for THIRTEEN YEARS then they should probably be able to get it right in that period of time. Of course when the Tundra was new it was a total disaster, everything from exploding camshafts and collapsing tailgates.

But again, that is not the American way to make something and never try to make it better. It's a shame what the Japanese do to fool gullible Americans, it really is.
Well Where Walt talks about once upon a time a horse was considered more reliable...

Is that where they got that saying.. "Screw you and the horse you rode in on" from?

So therefore that must mean we need to update that saying to something representing Progress...

Like "Screw You and the electric F 150 you drove in on".... would that be updated, progressive and appropriate?
Hey Seafire, tell him how many miles you have on your Toyota and ask him how many he has on his Ford (and what repairs it took to get there!)
^^^

Mindless blabbering, not worth my time to even respond.

Still waiting for that data showing yoda better, Ford bad.
Love my F150 and might load up on ford stock.

If I was driving 1k miles each way for hunts etc a hybrid might interest me.
So Walt...

how are you getting along with all of those Somalis the DFL brought in for you guys to get along with?

You have Hmong, and Somalis, and I hear even Mexicans up in Minnesota...

That would be considered Progress and Progressive in a lot of circles..
so that's a good thing right?

But you're right about Toyotas being a PoS....

Mine needs its second clutch in it now! Actually the throw out bearing.. so we'll just replace the clutch also.

565,000 miles, and it needs Another Clutch again.. second one in 31 years...

ya can't buy quality worth a damn off these foreign companies....

but someone must have been lying to me when they told me that Tundras were designed in the USA and built down in San Antonio Texas, with Engines and Trans built in Wheeling WVa.... Toyota must have imported a bunch of Japs and Wetbacks to assemble them for us...
Poor Walt. How bad does your life suck when you've never had the pleasure of driving a dependable vehicle?
Poor Walt. How bad does your life suck when you've never had the pleasure of driving a dependable vehicle?

Why would he want to go anywhere any way....

Streets back in Minnesota full of Somalis and Hmong all over the place...

But sure sounds like a great place to Varmint hunt, if it was legal don't it?
Livin the dream in Minnysoda.
We have had a Toyota Prius at our house for 10 years and almost 200k miles. The only thing we have done besides tires and windshield wipers, has been wheel bearings. Not a single problem with the drive train. It also traveled a lot of pretty poor roads for its first two years when we were in NM. For the way most people use trucks I think a F-150 hybrid would be fine. Would one replace my Tundra for my needs no.

As far as truck durability, My buddy just blew out the transfer case to his Ford Raptor. He is notorious for blowing out engines and destroying all kinds of vehicles, Chevy, GMC and Dodge trucks have all had problems with him. The only one to not have a problem was a 2002 early toyota Tundra. After his Raptor problem he started talking about a new Tundra, it will be interesting how that goes.
In time there will be no choice.
I'll take one.
With Ford's penchant for releasing vehicles that aren't production ready and letting owners do the beta testing (6.0 diesel anyone?) I'll let someone else spend their money to work the bugs out of this thing while I sit back and watch.
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Yeah, but Toyota tells everybody the Tundra is "like" a 3/4 ton.

No they don’t. Just the people that buy them.
I have a Ford F-150 and I don’t see one in my future. Or another f-150 for that matter.
Originally Posted by JamesJr
Not interested.
Even less here, if that's possible.. Sumbish can't tow a 20K# camper worth a chit.. smile

It has worked out pretty well for the horses in my pasture. They eat well and are pampered. And they get me places and do jobs no machine ever will.

I can not afford to be in the alpha test group. Give me good old reliable and tested technology. There is a reason I depend on a 92 Toyota to get me through the mud or dust every day so I can go to work.
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
With Ford's penchant for releasing vehicles that aren't production ready and letting owners do the beta testing (6.0 diesel anyone?) I'll let someone else spend their money to work the bugs out of this thing while I sit back and watch.

GM used to be famous for doing that.
Originally Posted by whelennut
Originally Posted by Crow hunter

GM used to be famous for doing that.

They still are, re the C7 Corvette....
Humans still haven't figured out the perfect fuel burning engine.

Ford is coming out with a new big block gas engine for work pickups?!

That is what I want.

Modern +7 liter gas with some torque. Hopefully they have the transmission matched up.
Yeah, I wouldn’t hold my breath. They were supposed to have a diesel F150 introduced about 2 years ago too.
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Yeah, I wouldn’t hold my breath. They were supposed to have a diesel F150 introduced about 2 years ago too.

Umm I’m pretty sure they did. Think a guy down in the truck forum has one, coal burner 150 that is.

I’m with Sam, when the new big block gasser hits I’m going to be looking hard at one.
Design too new, trash.
Originally Posted by Reloder28

LOL.

My brother has been driving a King Ranch F150 diesel for awhile now. He bought it at Covert in Austin.

FWIW, I asked him what kind of mileage he's getting.. He said 18-19.

Hell we are getting that out of our F150 Eco Boost. (The bigger 3.5 engine) wink
© 24hourcampfire