Home
It's been a little chilly around here lately but my buddy said the perch and walleye are really biting so we decide to go to one of our favorite lakes last night.
I load up my Yeti cooler with some beers and bottled waters from the fridge along with a few sandwiches and put the cooler in the truck. I didn't bother putting any ice in the cooler figuring they should stay cold by themselves.
We get to our spot on the lake, drill some holes and get the portable shelter set up and the Buddy heater fired up. The perch start biting right away. We both had out big Yeti cups full of coffee when we got there so they lasted for quite a while.
After about 3 1/2 hours I decide to take a pee and get the cooler from the truck. When I opened it up everything was frozen. My sandwiches were solid. It was around -36 to -39 outside but I don't think it got below -25 inside the truck.
That cooler will keep drinks cold for days in 90+ degree weather. Why does everything in it freeze up after a few hours in extreme cold?
It takes lots of energy for ice to go thru a state change from solid to liquid.
So just go ahead and burn your yeti

Ya know...cause everyone says so
Originally Posted by slumlord

It was a gift.
Did you forget to switch the setting on it from "keep things cold" to "keep things warm"?
Originally Posted by Savage_Hunter
Did you forget to switch the setting on it from "keep things cold" to "keep things warm"?

laugh laugh
Originally Posted by whackem_stackem
Originally Posted by slumlord

It was a gift.

but but but but but
Yeti is anti NFL or was NRA .....or something?
Maybe the kooks of the kampfire can refresh my memory
It was outside in Minnesota.
Originally Posted by Bristoe

But it will keep beer cold in Texas during the summer?
I had a Yetty cooler, worst cooler I ever had.

Called Yetty and they sent me a new gasket.

Didn’t help at all

Called them back and they told me I need to put 12 pounds of is in the cooler that only hold 24 cans empty. They also told me that I had to put ice cold drinks in it if I wanted them to stay cold for more than 5-6 hours.

I gave the POS away.

Cheap $15 menards coolers hold ice and drinks longer than that $200 POS.
Originally Posted by Bristoe

........... That'll do it.............This time of year, anyway. Although I've used a cooler in the garage to keep stuff cold when it was about 20 degrees outdoors. No ice in cooler but the stuff inside didn't freeze, either, but at least it stayed cold. Never tried it for long periods as it would have eventually got down to 20 degrees even in the cooler.
It's been a little chilly around here lately but my buddy said the perch and walleye are really biting so we decide to go to one of our favorite lakes last night.
I load up my Yeti cooler with some beers and bottled waters from the fridge along with a few sandwiches and put the cooler in the truck. I didn't bother putting any ice in the cooler figuring they should stay cold by themselves.
We get to our spot on the lake, drill some holes and get the portable shelter set up and the Buddy heater fired up. The perch start biting right away. We both had out big Yeti cups full of coffee when we got there so they lasted for quite a while.
After about 3 1/2 hours I decide to take a pee and get the cooler from the truck. When I opened it up everything was frozen. My sandwiches were solid. It was around -36 to -39 outside but I don't think it got below -25 inside the truck.
That cooler will keep drinks cold for days in 90+ degree weather. Why does everything in it freeze up after a few hours in extreme cold?
-25 or -30 is about 60 below the freezing point. 90 is 60 above the freezing point. It'll keep stuff cold in hot weather because you have it loaded with ice, not air. It takes a lot of calories to melt ice so it stays cold a long time. In the cold with no ice, there's nothing there but the food and air. There's no ice/water to hold the heat. Try it again but put in a gal or 2 of water at about 40 to 50 degrees and see what happens. I'll bet it won't freeze.
Defrost sandwiches before putting them in yeti.
You got a cooler yeti.sounds like you wanted a warmer yeti.
Ummmm minus 39.........
Perhaps putting some warm pack in the cooler?
Originally Posted by wabigoon

Would putting in ice frozen at 20 degrees count as a warmer? grin
Originally Posted by 12344mag

Yes because it has to absorb less heat to reach freezing. The latent heat of fusion will remain to push the ice from solid to liquid however.
Originally Posted by 12344mag

Yes because it has to absorb less heat to reach freezing. The latent heat of fusion will remain to push the ice from solid to liquid however.
-39 you'ze crazy!
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
-39 you'ze crazy!

Off topic, but enjoy that big rig Boomer, I just put all new exhaust on my W900 from the turbo back, stainless steel flex pipe and clamps, big new chrome exhaust elbows that bend up to hold a set of 8" miter cut straight stacks, I'm ready to go get a load man, the rumble of that 600 horse Cummins banging through 18 gears is something I've been missing. grin
Originally Posted by gunner500
-39 you'ze crazy!

Off topic, but enjoy that big rig Boomer, I just put all new exhaust on my W900 from the turbo back, stainless steel flex pipe and clamps, big new chrome exhaust elbows that bend up to hold a set of 8" miter cut straight stacks, I'm ready to go get a load man, the rumble of that 600 horse Cummins banging through 18 gears is something I've been missing. grin

Roll On!

I'm gonna crank the volume, no one here tonight but me and 600 lbs of rottweilers, and they're asleep outside! cool
SWEET!
We'll have to do another truckin music thread....
We'll have to do another truckin music thread....

Hell yeah, I went and listened to Joe Stampleys Roll On Big Mama after your video! cool
-39 you'ze crazy!

The fish were biting. Can't let a little weather get in the way of a good bite.
We went out again last night. It was about the same temps, in the -30's. No wind so it wasn't to bad. Once you get the holes dug, the portable shelter up and the Big Buddy heater fired up it isn't to bad. After about a hour with the heater cranked full on it stayed around zero in the shelter. We spent most of the night with our coats and gloves off. It does get tough to tie on the little jigs with cold fingers. I like to use three-pound fluorocarbon line for perch and that stuff is thin and flexible. As soon as we had the shelter up and heater going I brought the cooler inside with us and everything was good. We caught our limit of 20 yellow perch each, we probably caught 40-45 each in 5 hours of fishing but we only kept the nicest ones. IMO winter caught Yellow Perch is the finest eating fish there is. I have enough fillets in the fridge and freezer to last a while now. I fried up one this morning for breakfast along with a couple eggs and fried taters. It was excellent and well worth the effort.
-39 you'ze crazy!

I admire your dedication, I won't emulate it...but do admire it.
The only thing goofier than an ice fisherman going out in -39 temperatures is the fools in the springtime who go out on the nice, warm sunny days and have to be rescued by the Coast Guard. I'll never understand it...
Originally Posted by JSTUART
-39 you'ze crazy!

What else am I going to do in the dead of winter? Sit at home on the computer chatting with a bunch of grumpy old men?
Y hell yes! grin
Originally Posted by JSTUART
-39 you'ze crazy!

What else am I going to do in the dead of winter? Sit at home on the computer chatting with a bunch of grumpy old men?

Would you like me to give a nail biting account on how I have sat here all night in front of this screen with the air conditioner on so I don't sweat too much?
It was around -36 to -39 outside but I don't think it got below -25 inside the truck.
This
© 24hourcampfire