Home
Posted By: Sevastopol Cigarettes - 02/08/19
Oh, my Lord! I want a cigarette. I haven't had a smoke in over 5 years, but I could kill for a cigarette right now. No reason. Nothing triggered it, as far as I know. Such a stupid vice.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Cigarettes - 02/08/19
I quit over 4 years ago. After 35 years of smoking.

Don't really ever want a cigarette. But a pipe and cigar smell good to me still.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Cigarettes - 02/08/19
You have gone this long, hang in there!
Posted By: hanco Re: Cigarettes - 02/08/19
Wifey quit a month ago, I’m hoping she hangs tough!!!
Posted By: cra1948 Re: Cigarettes - 02/08/19
Started when I was about 15, quit when I was 35. That was 35 years ago... no desire to resume
Posted By: muleshoe Re: Cigarettes - 02/08/19
I chewed Copenhagen amongst other things for many years. Quit some 20 years ago, it was a struggle. Occasionally the urge comes along, though not very often anymore. Remembering what a struggle it was to quit and never wanting to go through that again is part of what helped me get past those urges.
Posted By: Tracks Re: Cigarettes - 02/08/19
I quit it February '76.. The first month was the hardest time I ever lived through. The first year if someone was smoking nearby I leaned closer to get some of the second hand smoke. Somehow after the first year smelling the stuff started to make me feel sick.
Lots of bad habits I might someday take up again but not smoking. I could never go through giving it up again
Posted By: Timbermaster Re: Cigarettes - 02/08/19
One of the dumbest habits known to man. And I mean dumb.
Posted By: Hogwild7 Re: Cigarettes - 02/08/19
I quit several years ago. Don't miss it anymore. Glad I am not spending 8 bucks a day on it.
Posted By: Jerseyboy Re: Cigarettes - 02/08/19
Those of us who are older remember when everyone smoked. I am 72, and everyone smoked when I was young, including me. I quit several times when I was in my 20s, the last time for good. I am thankful that I quit when I did. A dear friend didn't quit until several years ago and now has COPD.
Posted By: dale06 Re: Cigarettes - 02/08/19
Never started on cigarettes, watched them kill my dad, so was easy to avoid them.
Posted By: 338Rules Re: Cigarettes - 02/08/19
Best to avoid the urge, and it’s consequences.
Take a deap breath, go for a walk, but don’t succumb!
Yep, when I was young, it seemed like everyone smoked!!
Originally Posted by hanco
Yep, when I was young, it seemed like everyone smoked!!

I miss a lot of old friends who waited too long to quit
Posted By: MOGC Re: Cigarettes - 02/08/19
Never understood the need for and never had the desire for tobacco. Thankful for that as I've watched others struggle with the habit over the years.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Cigarettes - 02/08/19
Originally Posted by MOGC
Never understood the need for and never had the desire for tobacco. Thankful for that as I've watched others struggle with the habit over the years.

I agree totally.

But substitute "alcohol" for tobacco.

Or "drugs" for tobacco.

Or hell, just list 'em all... wink

And while we're at it, I see some pretty unhealthy looking lard asses around town.
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Cigarettes - 02/08/19
Originally Posted by hanco
Wifey quit a month ago, I’m hoping she hangs tough!!!

I'm impressed, you're still alive! wink
Posted By: renegade50 Re: Cigarettes - 02/08/19
Posted By: slumlord Re: Cigarettes - 02/08/19
Could always start vaping

3 times the nicotene

No smoke
Posted By: persiandog Re: Cigarettes - 02/08/19
nicotine half life is about 2 hours , so technically after a few days there is not traceable nicotine in your body. not sure about the 'sucking' addiction . but most people can deal with it.
Posted By: BGunn Re: Cigarettes - 02/08/19
Smoked cigarettes for 40 years, and quit 16 years ago. They still smell good to me, kind of a sweet smell. Used ashtrays smell putrid.
My buddy’s truck smells like he burns tires in it. 🤢
Posted By: super T Re: Cigarettes - 02/08/19
I'm 76 and almost everyone smoked when I was a teen. Not me, I just never picked up the habit. I lost a brother in May to lung cancer, he was a two pack a day guy most of his adult life. On Monday of this week, a childhood friend died of lung cancer. He was also a long time smoker. Smoking today, with all we know about the health dangers, has to be something of a death wish.
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Cigarettes - 02/08/19
I quit in 1996 after smoking for about 25 years. I was never a heavy smoker, but I justified my smoking on the fact that I was a tobacco farmer. I loved a good smoke, and didn't mind the smell. But, after I quit, and my sense of smell came back, I began to hate the smell of cigarettes. Food tasted a lot better too.
Posted By: fuzzytail Re: Cigarettes - 02/08/19
15 years free in Nov. Wife still smokes and I hate it she won't quit.
Posted By: HTDUCK Re: Cigarettes - 02/08/19
Today makes a day 8 without one for me.
I'm 56 and started smoking when I was 14.

I quit for 2 years at one point and then started again.
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Cigarettes - 02/08/19
This March will make 4 years since I quit a 2 pack a day habit for 38 years. Don’t miss the nasty stinking bastards at all.
Posted By: 1minute Re: Cigarettes - 02/08/19
Smoked a bit as a kid, but it never came remotely close to being a habit. Never noticed any sort of buzz. Sadly, the only smoker I know now is my own kid. Moved in with some school buddies for a couple months and came home hooked.

Most smokers "I see today are assisted living folks that can least afford it.

I guess the upside is the taxes that have been piled on must fund at least half of our state government.

Good luck to those kicking it.
Posted By: BGunn Re: Cigarettes - 02/08/19
Did you know that they put ammonia in cigarettes to make the nicotine more addictive

Ammonia in cigarettes
I’ve never had one in my mouth, never wanted to be a smoker.
Posted By: persiandog Re: Cigarettes - 02/08/19
nicotine was used as pesticide until tobacco companies put an end to it , it was bad for business.

nicotine also causes ED , former smoker can tell you about their erection before and after :-)
Posted By: Duckhunter Re: Cigarettes - 02/08/19
Quit in '08 when the doc told me I had tonsil cancer after smoking for 35 years. Never looked back.
Posted By: gunswizard Re: Cigarettes - 02/08/19
The tobacco companies have genetically engineered the tobacco in cigarettes to make it more addictive therefor harder for smokers to quit. This has been going on for more than 40 yrs., the research was done in Germany and the test plots of tobacco were grown in South America. Evidence of this was discovered by accident during the Iran Contra Investigation years ago.
Posted By: Tip926 Re: Cigarettes - 02/08/19
Quitting is easy! I’ve done it a thousand times.
Posted By: Prwlr Re: Cigarettes - 02/08/19
Back, back a long, long time ago when I was about 14 or 15 a buddy told me to take a drag on a cigarette. I felt dizzy and nauseated. He said don't worry you will get used to it. My response was why would I want to get used to being dizzy and nauseated. Never again.
Posted By: Sevastopol Re: Cigarettes - 02/08/19
Originally Posted by HTDUCK
Today makes a day 8 without one for me.
I'm 56 and started smoking when I was 14.

I quit for 2 years at one point and then started again.

Every now and then I get the urge, a fleeting desire; but once in a blue moon it's very strong, to the point that I seriously consider giving in. The health benefits are priceless, but the amount of money you're saving nowadays is worth noting. Also, the phlegm problem eventually goes away. Another thing that I enjoy is not having to step out when in non-smoking company or environments.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Cigarettes - 02/08/19
I only smoke pork shoulders
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Cigarettes - 02/08/19
I'm sure I'd be dead by now if I had not quit them in March 1980.
On the subject of saving money by not smoking, I'd like to mention drinking as well.
The same year I quit smoking I also quit drinking. Six months later I bought a new ski boat. Budget wise it was kinda like somebody just gave me the keys and said forget the payments.
I didn't get as much drunken sex, but got to haul around a lot more near naked women. grin
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Cigarettes - 02/08/19
i quit a 2-3 pack a day habit 20 yrs ago, smoke a cigar once in a while now.
Posted By: dale06 Re: Cigarettes - 02/09/19
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
[quote=MOGC]Never understood the need for and never had the desire for tobacco. Thankful for that as I've watched others struggle with the habit over the years.

I agree totally.

But substitute "alcohol" for tobacco.

Or "drugs" for tobacco.

Or hell, just list 'em all... wink

In most cases, alcohol in moderation is not a problem, and might even be healthy. Never heard of a doc saying, just smoke a half pack a day. Have heard and read that one or two drinks are not harmful.
Posted By: Roystu Re: Cigarettes - 02/09/19
I gave them up in 98 after 30 years. That was the best day of my life. I can't stand the stink of them around me now.
Posted By: smithrjd Re: Cigarettes - 02/09/19
Doctor keeps asking when I will quit, I always tell him it will be sudden and Permanente.. Thankfully none of my kids ever took smoking up.
Posted By: 1minute Re: Cigarettes - 02/09/19
nicotine was used as pesticide until tobacco companies put an end to it

One had better review his facts. Still widely available and used today. Green house work would be near impossible without it.
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Cigarettes - 02/09/19
My high school sweetheart started smoking Salem 100's when she was 16, after I'd gone off to college, because the smell drove her hyper-controlling father nuts. She got hooked and smoked until lung cancer caught up with her at 39 and killed her at 42. She left behind a husband and four daughters ranging from 12 to 20.
Posted By: muleshoe Re: Cigarettes - 02/09/19
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
My high school sweetheart started smoking Salem 100's when she was 16, after I'd gone off to college, because the smell drove her hyper-controlling father nuts. She got hooked and smoked until lung cancer caught up with her at 39 and killed her at 42. She left behind a husband and four daughters ranging from 12 to 20.

That's sad.

The lung cancer caught up with my dad last Valentine's Day. He was 85 and hadn't smoked for 30+ years. It was the 30+ before that that did the damage. It was not a pleasant way to die.

Posted By: Barney_Fife Re: Cigarettes - 02/09/19
My BIL use to smoke Marlboro red 100’s like there was no tomorrow. I loved that smell of a freshly lit red. But hated everything after it was burning. Worked and rode in company truck for years with a guy who smoked the biggest, cheapest, nastiest stinking cigars he could find. He finally switched to a pipe and life got better for both of us.

Dad got me started on Levi Garrett when I was 5 or 6. He’d give me the bottom of an old pouch before he left for work in the morning occasionally. I still have a strong craving for it when the leaves start falling through deer season.
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: Cigarettes - 02/09/19
May 30th 2005 I smoked my last. Sometimes they don't smell too bad. Seeing those poor bastids hacking is a good reminder.

Passed the Philip Morris factory of death earlier today and recalled this thread. .

[Linked Image]
Posted By: hookeye Re: Cigarettes - 02/09/19
Good thread...........proly go out and buy some cigars.
Hell I aint had one since dove season..............2 yrs ago (kept skeeters off).
I gotta watch it though, too much and I'll get a headache.
The small cigars.........one of those and a couple of fine ales............I can melt into a recliner.
Posted By: hookeye Re: Cigarettes - 02/09/19
Cigarettes..................smoked a few when hammered.
Maybe one pack..............over 40 years.
Don't think smoking to be a problem for me LOL

Double Crooked Tree IPA is made in the month of Feb. Need my local bottle shop to order a couple cases.
Last time it was $150 a case.
Need two........one for now and one to age for 2 yrs.

Two of those aged, and a cigar................hell yeah!
© 24hourcampfire