Home
Posted By: watch4bear Gun seizures spike - 02/11/19
Courts are issuing an unprecedented number of orders to seize firearms from people they deem to be mentally ill or threats to others, following a rash of state-level legislation aimed at curbing mass shootings across the country.

Even as conservatives sound the alarm about potential Second Amendment violations, supporters -- sometimes across party lines -- say these "red flag" laws are among the most promising tools to reduce the nearly 40,000 suicides and homicides by firearm each year in the country.

“I think we’re seeing a building consensus in blue states and red states that this is a good way to balance public safety against people’s Second Amendment rights,” Jaron Lindbaum, a representative of the activist grop Washington Ceasefire, told Fox News.

Nine states have passed laws over the past year allowing police or household members to seek court orders requiring people deemed threatening to temporarily surrender their guns, bringing the total to 14. Several more are likely to follow in the months ahead.

More than 1,700 orders allowing guns to be seized for weeks, months or up to a year were issued in 2018 by the courts after they determined the individuals were a threat to themselves or others.

The actual number is probably much higher since the data was incomplete and didn't include California, where newly-installed Democratic Gov. Gavin Newsom has moved swiftly to curtail gun rights.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/gu...ass-laws-aimed-at-curbing-mass-shootings
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: Gun seizures spike - 02/11/19
Bump
Posted By: mtnsnake Re: Gun seizures spike - 02/11/19
Over stepping of government power.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_flag_law
Looks like Vermont, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, New Jersey, Maryland, Delaware, Florida, Indiana, Illinois, Oregon, Washington and California. Must be a state that has recently passed one.
Posted By: Remington6MM Re: Gun seizures spike - 02/11/19
What guns?
From what I read it would be all of your guns.
Posted By: Redneck Re: Gun seizures spike - 02/11/19
Originally Posted by mtnsnake
From what I read it would be all of your guns.
Yup..

These laws are totally rife with potential abuse by gov't AND leftists to be used to finally disarm America.. Of all the various BS anti-gun laws passed over the years, THESE red-flag laws are by far the most onerous, dangerous and totally unconstitutional.. They must be removed via lawsuits in every instance as soon as possible.. The states that are poised to enact such laws must have their citizens stand up and in a very loud voice say NO NO NO!! NOT in our state!
Posted By: Slidellkid Re: Gun seizures spike - 02/11/19
It is clearly the way of the future. Need to have it challenged in court.
Posted By: jimy Re: Gun seizures spike - 02/11/19
Not even my wife has a clue as to how many guns I own, or where they are located, and for it to be any other way to be is, a pure foolishness!
Posted By: deflave Re: Gun seizures spike - 02/11/19
It's funny that when the 2nd Amendment is involved everyone starts to care.

You're all well behind the curve.
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: Gun seizures spike - 02/11/19
If they try to take my guns I will have a seizure.

Guaranteed.
Posted By: tpcollins Re: Gun seizures spike - 02/11/19

Tell that to the parents where nut job Nicklaus Cruz was known to have made threats and given a pass by the police under obummer’s policy and wound up killing 17 people at the Parkland school shooting.

https://www.usnews.com/news/educati...licy-contribute-to-the-parkland-shooting
Posted By: benchman Re: Gun seizures spike - 02/11/19
Originally Posted by Slidellkid
It is clearly the way of the future. Need to have it challenged in court.

THIS^
Posted By: benchman Re: Gun seizures spike - 02/11/19
Originally Posted by tpcollins

Tell that to the parents where nut job Nicklaus Cruz was known to have made threats and given a pass by the police under obummer’s policy and wound up killing 17 people at the Parkland school shooting.

I don't get where the authorities giving Cruz a pass, supports the position of Red Flag laws. Cruz should have been incarcerated because of his threats, negating the need for a Red Flag law. Removing your rights without due process, is certainly overstepping the governments authority.
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: Gun seizures spike - 02/11/19
1,700 orders for seizures and no reports of anyone refusing to surrender their guns or of our loyal American LEO's refusing to enforce the unconstitutional seizures.

So much for "from my cold dead hands" eh.
Originally Posted by benchman

I don't get where the authorities giving Cruz a pass, supports the position of Red Flag laws. Cruz should have been incarcerated because of his threats, negating the need for a Red Flag law. Removing your rights without due process, is certainly overstepping the governments authority.

The police were called to his home for his criminal activity dozens of time, yet no arrests or interventions. No need for Red Flag. Just don't shield people from the legitimate systems of our traditional law enforcement and criminal justice.
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Looks like Vermont, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, New Jersey, Maryland, Delaware, Florida, Indiana, Illinois, Oregon, Washington and California. Must be a state that has recently passed one.

Only hope is that the Supreme Court shuts down what is the most clear case of Bill of Rights violations (Second, Fourth, Fifth, etc.) in US history.
Posted By: deflave Re: Gun seizures spike - 02/11/19

I'm more prone to blame the electing of dumb fugks to run their schools and police departments than I am to advocate for another bullschit law.

People get the government they deserve.
Posted By: Raeford Re: Gun seizures spike - 02/11/19
Eight years of obama appointed judges..
Posted By: ol_mike Re: Gun seizures spike - 02/11/19
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
1,700 orders for seizures and no reports of anyone refusing to surrender their guns or of our loyal American LEO's refusing to enforce the unconstitutional seizures.

Ain't nobody going to do sh-it ....

Red flag laws don't work....last year, a lifelong family friend and her son....along with several other people were shot and killed in Tehama Ca.by a person whom she had a restraining order against....he was supposed to have had all his weapons taken when he was arrested for felony assault (IIRC) about 4 months earlier.... https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo...d-students-during-tehama-county-shooting

Firearms laws only work with people who don't break the law....
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: Gun seizures spike - 02/11/19
Originally Posted by ol_mike

Ain't nobody going to do sh-it ....

yep.....just a bunch of chest pounding and empty threats......sorta like the 'fire.
Posted By: curdog4570 Re: Gun seizures spike - 02/11/19
According to the linked article the vast majority of applications for seizure were made by Law Enforcement...not family members.
Posted By: BlueDuck Re: Gun seizures spike - 02/11/19
Thats how it works. They just keep chipping away until you have nothing left. People have been talking about this as far back as I can remember. How's that working out.
Posted By: MILES58 Re: Gun seizures spike - 02/11/19
I have a little different take on the subject.

A very close friend of mine was an addict. I set up the 3rd or 4th intervention and one of the last things I did was to call his adult son and ask "Do I need to remove the guns" . I did not think I did and neither did his son. In less that 24 hours he had committed suicide by gun, literally hours before we put him back into treatment.

I don't think it is an accident that the Las Vegas shooter stands out as almost the lone exception who gave no advance warning of what he was going to do, and the many if not most of the mass shooters gave ample and fairly good warning before hand. I doubt we are anywhere near as good at seeing the warnings before hand as we are in retrospect, and we may not catch even half of them. But...that sure as hell shouldn't prevent us from trying and as long as we respect due process we can provide a system biased to err on whichever side of caution we as a society deem appropriate.
Originally Posted by MILES58
I But...that sure as hell shouldn't prevent us from trying and as long as we respect due process we can provide a system biased to err on whichever side of caution we as a society deem appropriate.
These red-flag laws have NO PROVISION for any such 'due process' and are ABSOLUTELY UNCONSTITUTIONAL...

Plain and simple..
Posted By: hasbeen1945 Re: Gun seizures spike - 02/11/19
No one wants a nut to shoot a bunch of innocent people. But its like the camel sticking his nose in the tent on a cold night. Where does it end. Hasbeen
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Gun seizures spike - 02/11/19

Well, there was at least one..........And he be det.

Link.
You know the media will not report people who decided not to surrender.
Posted By: 22250rem Re: Gun seizures spike - 02/11/19
What a wonderful idea for those wishing to circumvent due process and other antiquated concepts like "innocent until proven guilty". Because it's all about public safety and common sense, right? We simply can't have nut cases owning firearms.......... Because it's "common knowledge", and "everyone knows" that gun owners are all nuts and therefore dangerous and we have to remove firearms from the mentally unstable, especially those involved with neo-nazi, right wing, extremist hate groups like the NRA and GOA. And we don't need no stinking "due process" B.S. to do it !!................ Welcome to the great society, folks.
Originally Posted by hasbeen1945
No one wants a nut to shoot a bunch of innocent people. But its like the camel sticking his nose in the tent on a cold night.
.. That ain't the nose - it's the entire camel...
Where does it end. Hasbeen
The 2nd Revolutionary war... CITIZENS against tyrannical gov't...
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Gun seizures spike - 02/11/19
Originally Posted by Raeford

But overstepping their job description goes on.
How many of these shooters did the police know about and had previous runs ins with the police but they did nothing?
Posted By: watch4bear Re: Gun seizures spike - 02/11/19
How many of these shooters did the police know about and had previous runs ins with the police but they did nothing?

How many of the gun owners posted something on the computer, and had their guns confiscated for words? They may have not gotten there yet. After all, they said they'd go back 4 years.
So scrub everything clean. Will not make a difference. Pointless discussion we do not control liberal judges or liberal people.
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Originally Posted by Raeford

But overstepping their job description goes on.

This time they found a friend that's more than willing to help

Posted By: huskyrunner Re: Gun seizures spike - 02/11/19
Along these lines, why are we not allowed to scrub posts or delete accounts on this website? So many people are losing their jobs because of their social media content. Posts I made before I had the employment I have now ... Well, you get the picture. The way things are set up here, I can only hope for the best. I need to stay employed for another 5 years at least, get my last kid through college.
I need to stay employed for another 5 years at least, get my last kid through college.

I'm sure they've narrowed the search to gun owners only. 4473's, pictures posted, sites frequented, concealed carry licenses, members of gun organizations.

As long as you haven't spoken about your government, you'll probably be ok. Any dissent however, may have be noticed.
Posted By: Idaho_Shooter Re: Gun seizures spike - 02/11/19
There are costs to living in a free society. Deaths from traffic accidents and from idiots with deadly weapons are just a couple of those costs.

Our forefathers made a poignant comment about trading freedoms for security, and not deserving either.

Furthermore, suicides should never be included in the equation. Suicide is a personal choice, and it is ridiculous to hold the rest of society liable for an idiot's bad choices.
Suicide is a personal choice, and it is ridiculous to hold the rest of society liable for an idiot's bad choices.

Your attitude has been noticed eek
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
There are costs to living in a free society. Deaths from traffic accidents and from idiots with deadly weapons are just a couple of those costs.

Our forefathers made a poignant comment about trading freedoms for security, and not deserving either.

Furthermore, suicides should never be included in the equation. Suicide is a personal choice, and it is ridiculous to hold the rest of society liable for an idiot's bad choices.

Great points.
Posted By: jdunham Re: Gun seizures spike - 02/11/19
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter

Almost every single suicide I ever handled blindsided everyone who knew the victim. People who are serious about it just do it, the people crying for help usually aren't serious about doing it. These laws won't change the suicide numbers, just the method used.
Posted By: Burleyboy Re: Gun seizures spike - 02/11/19
My friend had dozens of guns seized while the ATF did an investigation. He was ultimately cleared of everything and received his guns back. The only problem was is that the ATF stored them all soaking in 55 gallon drums of salt water. They said there was a leaky roof in their storage facility and they weren't responsible. He asked if it rained salt water there because you could see the build up and taste the salt on them. They said leave it alone or they would charge him for other violations they had previously decided not to pursue.

Bb
My friend had dozens of guns seized while the ATF did an investigation

Any idea what ATF was investigating?
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Gun seizures spike - 02/11/19
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
If they try to take my guns I will have a seizure.

Guaranteed.

wink
Originally Posted by jimy
Not even my wife has a clue as to how many guns I own, or where they are located, and for it to be any other way to be is, a pure foolishness!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ALL THAT^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
And I suppose with a good attorney we'll be able to know WHO our accusers are ; ]

dummy cuck liberals best tread with extreme care on this one.
Posted By: Idaho_Shooter Re: Gun seizures spike - 02/11/19
Originally Posted by watch4bear
Suicide is a personal choice, and it is ridiculous to hold the rest of society liable for an idiot's bad choices.

Your attitude has been noticed eek

I am confused. Are you for or against punishing the general population for an individual's mistakes and/or crimes?
I am confused

Just pointing out; if you don't see it there way, that in itself may be precedent to take your firearms.

IE your attitude has been noticed. Its a commie thing.

Speaking out against tyranny could be reason enough.
Posted By: gbp Re: Gun seizures spike - 02/11/19
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wcx...Qr7Ghm2Y3UA-uRE4SHX8TIGvlJu2Xvc2gvFR_ri8
Posted By: montanabadger Re: Gun seizures spike - 02/11/19
Temporarily my a$$.
Posted By: Cinch Re: Gun seizures spike - 02/11/19

This is good to hear...
Posted By: Oakster Re: Gun seizures spike - 02/11/19
Originally Posted by benchman

^^^Yep!
Posted By: Oakster Re: Gun seizures spike - 02/11/19

There was at least one person that refused, and he is dead now.
Posted By: Oakster Re: Gun seizures spike - 02/12/19

A very close friend of mine was an addict. I set up the 3rd or 4th intervention and one of the last things I did was to call his adult son and ask "Do I need to remove the guns" . I did not think I did and neither did his son. In less that 24 hours he had committed suicide by gun, literally hours before we put him back into treatment.

I don't think it is an accident that the Las Vegas shooter stands out as almost the lone exception who gave no advance warning of what he was going to do, and the many if not most of the mass shooters gave ample and fairly good warning before hand. I doubt we are anywhere near as good at seeing the warnings before hand as we are in retrospect, and we may not catch even half of them. But...that sure as hell shouldn't prevent us from trying and as long as we respect due process we can provide a system biased to err on whichever side of caution we as a society deem appropriate.

Its a sensitive topic, and I do not want to be heartless, but there are many ways to commit suicide, even you did take his guns. He could still buy another, use rope, car exhaust, prescription drugs or elevation. Red Flag laws looking to end suicide are pointless and ineffective, especially when compared to the loss of freedoms. The risk of abuse of the system is huge, while the benefit is small (not the benefit of life, but the likelihood of stopping someone who wants to commit suicide).
Posted By: Idaho_Shooter Re: Gun seizures spike - 02/12/19
Originally Posted by watch4bear
I am confused

Just pointing out; if you don't see it there way, that in itself may be precedent to take your firearms.

IE your attitude has been noticed. Its a commie thing.

Speaking out against tyranny could be reason enough.

Oh, I see. I am pretty sure everyone who frequents this site or any other like it is already on a watch list somewhere.
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: Gun seizures spike - 02/12/19

I'm sorry but who made the mistake? Maybe y'all SHOULD have removed his guns. In the end, he wanted to commit suicide and did. Again, I'm sorry, but is that not the ultimate act of doing what one wants with one's own body? And then is that not the ultimate act of freedom? Of free will? I am not advocating suicide and don't believe in suicide, but I also don't believe the government should tell somebody what to do in that case.
Posted By: Redneck Re: Gun seizures spike - 02/12/19
Originally Posted by Oakster

There was at least one person that refused, and he is dead now.
And there's gonna be more - a LOT more - if this crap's not removed..

Oakster The risk of abuse of the system is huge,
Not just 'huge', but as probable as finding stars in the Milky Way...

Posted By: hanco Re: Gun seizures spike - 02/12/19
Originally Posted by jimy

That!!!!
© 24hourcampfire