Home
Posted By: OSU_Sig Martha Raye - 02/12/19
I did not remember this about her.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The most unforgivable oversight of TV , is that her shows were not taped.

I was unaware of her credentials or where she is buried.

Somehow I just can't see Brittany Spears, Paris Hilton, or Jessica Simpson doing what this woman and the other USO women did for our troops in past wars.

Most of the old time entertainers were made of a lot sterner stuff than today's crop of activist bland whiners.

The following is taken from an Army Aviator who takes a trip down memory lane:

"It was just before Thanksgiving '67 and we were ferrying dead and wounded from a large GRF west of Pleiku.

We had run out of body bags by noon, so the Hook (CH-47 CHINOOK) was pretty rough in the back.

All of a sudden, we heard a 'take-charge' woman's voice in the rear.

There was the singer and actress, Martha Raye, with a Special Forces beret and jungle fatigues, with subdued markings, helping the wounded into the Chinook, and carrying the dead aboard. Maggie' had been visiting her Special Forces (SF) 'heroes' out 'west'.

We took off, short of fuel, and headed to the USAF hospital pad at Pleiku.

As we all started unloading our sad pax's, a USAF Captain said to Martha.... "Ms Raye, with all these dead and wounded to process, there would not be time for your show!"

To all of our surprise, she pulled on her right collar and said "Captain, see this eagle? I am a full 'Bird' in the US Army Reserve, and on this is a 'Caduceus' which means I am a Nurse, with a surgical specialty.... now, take me to your wounded!"

He said, "Yes ma'am.... follow me."

Several times at the Army Field Hospital in Pleiku, she would 'cover' a surgical shift, giving a nurse a well-deserved break.

Martha is the only woman buried in the SF (Special Forces) cemetery at Ft Bragg.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Martha Raye - 02/12/19
Indeed, thank you for posting.
Posted By: dale06 Re: Martha Raye - 02/12/19
Interesting, thanks.
Posted By: luv2safari Re: Martha Raye - 02/12/19
My mom was a US Navy nurse during WWII and had a very warm spot for Martha Raye.
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: Martha Raye - 02/12/19
Great performer.
Posted By: Toddly Re: Martha Raye - 02/12/19
We need more Martha’s!
Posted By: Son_of_the_Gael Re: Martha Raye - 02/12/19
Wow.
Posted By: hanco Re: Martha Raye - 02/12/19
I didn’t know this!
Posted By: slumlord Re: Martha Raye - 02/12/19
Next we'll learn that Julia Child invented shark repellent for the OSS
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: Martha Raye - 02/12/19
She did?? shocked
Posted By: Limapapa Re: Martha Raye - 02/12/19
Thanks for reminding us. A class act.
Posted By: achadwick Re: Martha Raye - 02/12/19
Thanks for posting.
Posted By: Gremlin1104 Re: Martha Raye - 02/12/19
This is only partially true. Her military rank was honorary as it was for many USO performers. She was affectionately regarded as an honorary Army Ana Marine Corp Officer. It is true she was/is buried at Fort Bragg but it took a special congressional/DOD authorization.
Posted By: Seafire Re: Martha Raye - 02/12/19
Thanks for posting that Cliff.... I'll admit recalling hearing that, a long time ago...but it was long forgotten.

A new found respect for her tonight....

I still believe that the youth of today, are born with the same deep within them...
but being raised in a liberal society like ours, they are taught NOT to rise to the occasion...

liberalism kills people's independence and will to achieve and accomplish to their full potential.

thank you Martha, where ever you may be now...
Posted By: efw Re: Martha Raye - 02/12/19
Awesome post man thanks for this what an amazing woman. Very cool.
Posted By: woodmaster81 Re: Martha Raye - 02/12/19
A captain early in my career was Army Special Forces stationed in Vietnam with the Mountegards. Twice, Martha showed up in the supply chopper and chatted with his team in the field. It was only a couple of minutes total but it gave them all a morale boost. He did not have a bad word for her and I don't think I would want to speak ill of Martha in his presence.
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Martha Raye - 02/12/19
It wasn't just her, as most of the big name Hollywood stars entertained the troops during WW2 and even into Vietnam. Bob Hope was the best known, and I've seen some old film clips where he was putting on a show while Jap snipers were still shooting.

Today's Hollywood stars would be more likely to entertain ISIS and the Taliban.
Posted By: Filaman Re: Martha Raye - 02/12/19
Thanks for posting. She came from a time when Hollywood had Americans. Now there's a few there but the majority are Commies.

God Bless Martha Raye, a great American.
Posted By: Old_Toot Re: Martha Raye - 02/12/19
Excellent post about a fine human being.
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Martha Raye - 02/12/19
I missed meeting her by a week. I got an early exit from Ban Me Thuot due to the wind-down. Much later, I learned that Martha Raye showed up there the following week, arriving in a gun truck. She was indeed a special friend to Special Forces and would travel to the tiniest, least secure places just to be with "her boys." A very special woman, and a genuine angel.
Posted By: memtb Re: Martha Raye - 02/12/19
I was not aware of this! It makes you have even greater respect for “the greatest generation”! memtb
Originally Posted by Gremlin1104
This is only partially true. Her military rank was honorary as it was for many USO performers. She was affectionately regarded as an honorary Army Ana Marine Corp Officer. It is true she was/is buried at Fort Bragg but it took a special congressional/DOD authorization.

Well, hell. Of course her rank was honorary and it required a variance to DoD regs to have her buried in a Military Cemetery. Does that diminish her role and value to you? Was her value diminished because it required an exception to policy to have a civilian buried in a military cemetery? Why would you want to pick apart a good story with points that don't matter?
Posted By: DarlaG Re: Martha Raye - 02/12/19
OSU sig,

Fwiw, my aunt, who was a graduate of the National Nurse Corps of the WWII era out of St Louis (MO) Central School of Nursing, (She never served on AD, as an ANC officer of the USAR, due to the war's end. = On VJ Day, my aunt already had her deployment orders to the South Pacific Theater, as a 2LT, ANC & was in San Francisco "awaiting transportation".) once told me that Martha Raye WAS a RN, as there is a record of a woman with her REAL maiden name, Margaret Hazel Reed, (Martha Raye was her "stage name".) registered as a "California diploma RN school graduate" in the early 1930s.

Btw, my aunt Gladys Helen was active as a RN from 1945 until her death from old age in 2006. = At that time, she was the Director of Hospice East Texas.
(I suspect that FEW RNs actively serve over 60 years in their profession.)

May "COL" Raye, late "HONORARY LTC", USASF, rest in peace.

yours, tex
Posted By: Alonzo_Tubbs Re: Martha Raye - 02/12/19
In a PM to another member of another board we discussed my long Viet Nam assignment (my 214 shows "eight" or more tours) he asked me the most memorable event in my memory. The answer was simple. Required no time for thought or reflection. In Nha Trang one night in the Nha Ticque restaurant, bar and whore house I was approached by a short SF Major in jungle fatigues with a green beret in her right side pocket. She hugged my neck and thanked me for being there. Biggest honor in my twenty year career. God Bless Maggie Wray.
Posted By: DarlaG Re: Martha Raye - 02/12/19
Alonzo Tubbs,

I was pleased/honored to have been hugged by "COL Raye" OCONUS in May 1970. = LOVELY lady was she.

yours, tex
USA, Retired
Posted By: michiganroadkill Re: Martha Raye - 02/12/19

Just dug out copies of "Green Beret" magazine produced by the 5th SFGA monthly in Nha Trang.
An article there shows a pic of Gen. Abrams awarding Martha the "Outstanding Civilian Service Award" in March 1969.
At that time she had completed 6 tours in RSVN and spent a total of 2 1/2 years in country.
During her tour in '69 she entertained more than 250 units in locations all over the country.
She was awarded the honorary Green Beret and rank of LTC at some time in her visits.
Thanks for the posts here and to whose who served, regardless of capacity, Thank you for your service.
Posted By: uncle joe Re: Martha Raye - 02/12/19
Originally Posted by Toddly
We need more Martha’s!

A few less Brittanys and Beyonce's wouldn't hurt either
Posted By: 1minute Re: Martha Raye - 02/12/19
Man! Just how old are you? Sadly, I too remember seeing her during my earliest exposures to TV. An absolutely HUGE smile.

As to serving country. Not many at all now days. Locally from the female side it's usually an extremely bright but low income kid viewing service as a pathway to/through college. Still I respect and applaud their efforts.

I have to plead ignorance on Matha's service. Back in the Bob Hope days though, there were a lot of notables that did overseas entertainment tours and got little if any stateside recognition.

Appreciate your pointing this out, and a salute to Martha.
Posted By: Prwlr Re: Martha Raye - 02/12/19
Amazing woman, do remember her TV shows.
Posted By: Santiam Re: Martha Raye - 02/12/19
Posted By: TBREW401 Re: Martha Raye - 02/12/19
She was especially fond of the Special Forces Troops.
Bless her!
Posted By: TBREW401 Re: Martha Raye - 02/12/19
That is when entertainers cared about the military. True Americans!!
© 24hourcampfire