Home
Posted By: fuzzytail Taters - 02/17/19
Anybody planted yet? I unleashed the BEAST( 1953 Farmall Cub) yesterday and rowed up and got planted. Planted cabbage, broccoli and cauliflower as well.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Taters - 02/17/19
Originally Posted by fuzzytail
Anybody planted yet? I unleashed the BEAST( 1953 Farmall Cub) yesterday and rowed up and got planted. Planted cabbage, broccoli and cauliflower as well.

uh,no, it's presently below freezing a few degrees with a coupla inches of new snow on top of 2"-3" already there. And more to come until a sunny day Monday, followed by more storms.

No planting taters, or maters, or most anything until May here.

Geno
Posted By: fuzzytail Re: Taters - 02/17/19
I'm a little late this year here. We have large potato farms in our area that do chip stock for Lays and has been real wet and they are late as well.
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: Taters - 02/17/19
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by fuzzytail

uh,no, it's presently below freezing a few degrees with a coupla inches of new snow on top of 2"-3" already there. And more to come until a sunny day Monday, followed by more storms.

No planting taters, or maters, or most anything until May here.

Geno

Same here Geno......we still have snow on the ground.....supposed to be +9 Monday night.

The end of April's iffy......usually don't plant anything until May.
This has been first year in several I can remember we have not had a single snowflake to fall. Mild winter and extremely wet.
Posted By: Dutch Re: Taters - 02/17/19
Yeah, the two feet of snow's gotta melt first....

We grow a few taters around here.... but goodness, we're a couple of months out.
Ya'll guys making me cold. It snows or any weather forecast for snow and people here go NUTS. My Father in law lives in Boone area of NC (Mountains) and he has same planting time your discussing. Usually May 1.
Posted By: mtnsnake Re: Taters - 02/17/19
Too wet. Tractor will get stuck in the mud.
Posted By: las Re: Taters - 02/17/19
Below zero Friday morning, mid 20s today, 6 inches of snow fell today.

Too early to plow- er - dig outdoors - frost probably goes down 4 feet or more.

But I should start tomatoes indoors soon fr the passive greenhouse later.
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Taters - 02/17/19
I have planted them here in late February, but it won't happen this year. It's the wettest here that I've ever seen. It will take 2 weeks of no rain and all sun before it will be dry enough to stir the dirt. I do have a high tunnel, and could plant some in there, but I'd rather grow them in a garden.
Posted By: mtnsnake Re: Taters - 02/17/19
Suppose to get a foot of snow sunday night.
Posted By: kid0917 Re: Taters - 02/17/19
Originally Posted by Dutch
Yeah, the two feet of snow's gotta melt first....

We grow a few taters around here.... but goodness, we're a couple of months out.

But you have a great TV spokeman now! He hides in the veggie cooler at the store.
Posted By: gophergunner Re: Taters - 02/17/19
We've got about a foot and a half of snow on the ground right now. More ice on the lakes than there is snow on the ground. It's probably around 20 inches thick right now. More snow forecast for today. It's gonna be at least another 6 weeks before we can even see the garden.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Taters - 02/17/19
We got fish to catch before plantin' spuds Jeff! laugh
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Taters - 02/17/19
Years ago I encountered a woman who swore that her father always planted his spuds on Good Friday in the dark of the moon. Well, ok. Since there never in history has been a Good Friday in the dark of the moon, I could only assume that he'd never planted a potato.
A lot of gardeners do plant them on Good Friday but since that can vary by weeks, it's often way too cold here.
Posted By: milespatton Re: Taters - 02/17/19
Too wet here. As to the moon planting and other signs, My Mother believed in planting watermelons on the first day of May, before sunup. She would have the hills ready and just put the seeds in. That is the only superstition that I recall Her having. Lots of the old timers used the almanac to plant their gardens by. A few to cut calves and hogs by, but most did it when they could. miles
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Taters - 02/17/19
I have been tempted to try planting them in the fall. Just a couple dozen.
Everyone thinks they would rot, possibly so.

But,if taters couldnt lay in the ground overwinter, and grow next year, then
how did they exist before people farmed them? Or have they had that ability
bred out of them in our attempts to enhance other traits?

I'm guessing it would work.
But, you wouldn't get a good percentage of plants coming up.
Posted By: BlueDuck Re: Taters - 02/17/19
You would need an ice auger to plant here right now.
Originally Posted by milespatton
Too wet here. As to the moon planting and other signs, My Mother believed in planting watermelons on the first day of May, before sunup. She would have the hills ready and just put the seeds in. That is the only superstition that I recall Her having. Lots of the old timers used the almanac to plant their gardens by. A few to cut calves and hogs by, but most did it when they could. miles

For years I worked in R&D for a seed company growing watermelons and squash. We always planted the 1st week of May but only in greenhouses. We'd transplant them outside about Memorial Day. There's just too much chance of frost here before that. FWIW, we planted them in 12oz styrofoam cups. The root balls fit perfectly in the holes cut by bulb planters and gave the plants a lot more room for roots than the smaller cells used by commercial greenhouses.
Posted By: gregintenn Re: Taters - 02/17/19
If it doesn't stop raining, I may plant rice this year.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Taters - 02/17/19
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck

I've had volunteer potatoes to come up, but it's been pretty rare. I'd think that if the winter was on the mild side, and not too wet, it'd be possible for them to lay there without rotting.
Posted By: 45_100 Re: Taters - 02/17/19
Not to hijack the thread but others have mentioned watermelon and cantaloupe. Before seedless watermelons, the market peaked on fourth of July so you had to have ripe melons after June 20 and in the market by July 1. We planted here in mid February. We would be planting right now. Ran the rows east and west. They were 80" wide and planted on the south side of the bed. Irrigated the field and held water in the furrows until it subbed up above the seed line. When the plants had one or two true leaves we would knock off the top of the bed to make a wide flat surface for the vines and keep the melons out of the water. Had to irrigate almost weekly when the melons were almost ripe. Very depressing to stand in the field and hear the watermelons bursting open.

A good friend of mine and I worked for the same seed company. He was a plant breeder. We left about the same time and he went to work with his dad. They were trying to develop a watermelon without seeds. They were successful but he died from Parkinson's disease.

Now back to the taters.
Posted By: Gus Re: Taters - 02/17/19
fuzzy, what varieties do you grow? we always grew kennebec for the most part, and also a bit of red pontiacs for grappling fresh. the kennebec was the majority.

we've planted them in mid-february. sometimes they got bit back, but not every year, but their roots were already getting established. lately, the deer eats them down, so no need to plant at all.

Potatoes are believed to have originated in Peru and Ecuador. They were probably marble sized 1000 years ago until breeders went to work on them. Maybe the originals were able to survive the winters better. I don't know.
Kennebecs and Pontiacs is what I planted this year. Have done some Yukon Gold in past.
we always planted "cut" potato seeds. not just eyes.

we never coated them with anything. i've heard powdered sulfur works.

planting potatoes early gives them a head start ahead of the hot dry summer.

we planted them the old-fashioned way by hand. then dug them with a fork, hoe & shovel.
Posted By: roundoak Re: Taters - 02/17/19
Maybe get some planted in the garden around April Fools. Put seeds on top of ground and cover with old loose hay about a foot high. No weeding necessary.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Taters - 02/17/19
Originally Posted by Gus

we planted them the old-fashioned way by hand. then dug them with a fork, hoe & shovel.

Get you some used tars...

Plant them halfsies in nar...cover em up
As they grow, throw some more dirt and add a'nutha tar

Till u get bout 6-7 tars high

Then nem vines die, just knock dem tars over and ..there ya go
Posted By: Kyhilljack Re: Taters - 02/17/19
Originally Posted by Gus

I dip them in diluted clorox and water before planting. Never had a rot problem.
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: Taters - 02/17/19
Originally Posted by gregintenn

Think it's to late to start putting an ark together?
Posted By: slumlord Re: Taters - 02/17/19
Chattanooga sidesupposed to get 5-8" rainfall next few days
Originally Posted by Kyhilljack
Originally Posted by Gus

I dip them in diluted clorox and water before planting. Never had a rot problem.

makes sense. we never did. we tried to cut them one day, and allow them to heal for a day, then plant the next day.

the cut wounds dipped in powdered sulfur is suppose to allay any disease. we never did any of that.

the best taters were the fresh dug baby pontiacs. eat them with early sweet english peas in early june.

later, the kennebecs were dug and put away for fall & winter tater's.

when we'd seen the tops from the kennebecs all dead & dying around june 30 - july 4 we knew it was time to dig.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Taters - 02/17/19
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

Potatoes are believed to have originated in Peru and Ecuador. They were probably marble sized 1000 years ago until breeders went to work on them. Maybe the originals were able to survive the winters better. I don't know.

Gentlemen,

before I retired I lived in E. WA, sorta close to where Field Grade is in ID. I had a relatively large garden and always had taters in it. Nice sandy loam. When I harvested I'd always leave some of the smaller ones in the ground and also some of the ones that got cut or stabbed by the fork. I usually covered the bed with about 4" of straw before leaving for the winter in mid November. I left one fall and talked to a buddy still there, he told me I was lucky I got out when I did as it dropped to -5F the next day. The taters survived and I had an early start on them the next season. Golds, purples, reds, and some finger taters along with a standard like Kennebeck or such.

Give it a try in your area. Leave them a bit deep and cover the bed with some straw. You might be surprised at the early volunteers.

Oh, the folks who had this place must have had some taters in the beds as I had volunteers the spring after we bought this place. Got down to -25.9F that winter and I didn't cover the beds as I had no idea what was in there. Them taters did come from the Andean countries, so I imagine they can stand a bit of cold.

Good luck,

Geno
Posted By: milespatton Re: Taters - 02/18/19
We never did it, but some of the neighbors would put slaked lime on the cut parts of the potatoes when planting. miles
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Taters - 02/18/19
I sometimes let mine dry for a week or so after I cut them up. Never dipped them in anything. The weather and the soil plays a big part on having them rot in the ground before they sprout and come up. I get the best results from planting the shriveled up taters from the year before. I always save some to plant.
Posted By: hanco Re: Taters - 02/18/19
No tators this year.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Taters - 02/18/19
Originally Posted by milespatton
We never did it, but some of the neighbors would put slaked lime on the cut parts of the potatoes when planting. miles
Our soil pH is about 8 and the canal water is about the same. Lime will make it worse. All the garden books say to put lime on a garden and unfortunately, some people around here do it without asking what it's for.
Posted By: Redneck Re: Taters - 02/18/19
Originally Posted by Gus
we always grew kennebec for the most part, and also a bit of red pontiacs for grappling fresh. the kennebec was the majority.

Ditto here...
Posted By: milespatton Re: Taters - 02/19/19
Our soil pH is about 8 and the canal water is about the same. Lime will make it worse. All the garden books say to put lime on a garden and unfortunately, some people around here do it without asking what it's for.

Where I live, if you have not limed recently, your ground needs lime. It is just a matter of how much. I think the old timers used slaked lime on the cut parts because they had it around for putting in the outhouse to keep flies and such down. miles
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: Taters - 02/19/19
Will be awhile before we will even see grass:

[Linked Image]
Posted By: gregintenn Re: Taters - 02/19/19
Originally Posted by Kyhilljack
Originally Posted by Gus

I cover the seed potatoes with brown paper when planting.
Posted By: gregintenn Re: Taters - 02/19/19
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
Originally Posted by gregintenn

Think it's to late to start putting an ark together?

Batteries are charged and there's gas in the boat!
Posted By: rem141r Re: Taters - 02/19/19
i need to do potatoes this year. my garden has dwindled from about 120x80 to about 12x50 and almost all raised beds. i could dedicate a corner with a leaf pile in it for taters this year. just gotta remember to hit agway this spring. ain't nothing getting planted up here until late may though.
Posted By: nighthawk Re: Taters - 02/19/19
Planted taters this afternoon.

© 24hourcampfire