Home
Charter Arms PROFESSIONAL: A Fighting Revolver
Kevin Michalowski — March 18, 2019

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/bl...amp;u=300631&mid=7295358&jb=3356

The seven-shot Professional revolver is chambered in .32 H&R Magnum and is billed as “a true fighting handgun.” Eschewing polymer, Connecticut-based Charter Arms has engineered their newest revolver to tip the scales at 22-ounces, unloaded, while still sporting contoured walnut grips as well as a stainless steel frame, cylinder, and barrel. The metal surfaces are coated in a proprietary Blacknitride+ process characterized as “indestructible” by the company.

Like several new revolvers pitched for the concealed carry market, the Professional uses a 3-inch barrel. However, the choice of caliber for the new gun is relatively uncommon. While Ruger currently makes a .32 H&R revolver, it is a New Model Single-Six, styled more for cowboy action shooting than every day carry. Smith & Wesson produced the Model 432 and 631 in the light .32 Mag but both of those revolvers have been out of production for some time and can be hard to find.

“The .32 H&R Magnum caliber has always been an underrated caliber that’s ideal for concealed carry and well-suited for the range,” said Charter Arms President Nick Ecker in a statement.

The company reportedly worked with the staff of Concealed Carry Magazine to help develop the Professional. “This is a true fighting revolver,” said Kevin Michalowski, the publication’s executive editor. “I could not be happier working with Nick Ecker and the entire team at Charter Arms to see this project come to life.”

The Professional, which includes a Green LitePipe front sight, is set to retail for $438. It will be unveiled at the 2019 Concealed Carry Expo on May 17-19 held in Pittsburgh.

[Linked Image]
I need something in 32.
If the trigger is nice, that'd be a sweet little revolver. And to be honest, I'm about tired of autos. They are finikey and have to be cleaned all the time to be flawless. Revovlers not so.

The 32 Mag would be enough to make an impression on your target!
Should have chambered it in Federal.
The seven-shot Professional revolver is chambered in .32 H&R Magnum and is billed as “a true fighting handgun.”

OK, Kevin.

If you say so. whistle

IMHO, it would be okay for a backup weapon, or a hideout, or just a handy gun to have.

But as a true "fighting handgun" the revolver itself falls short, as does the cartridge.

And we wonder why the gun writers get a bad rap...
I may have to get one. It ought to be good for farting around the farm.
Why not the 327 Federal ?

Mike
I like 357 magnum. But it is a good looking pistol.
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

IMHO, it would be okay for a backup weapon, or a hideout, or just a handy gun to have.

But as a true "fighting handgun" the revolver itself falls short, as does the cartridge.

Reminds me of Charlie Utter's description of Wolcott's likely weapon choice.
I see it as a natural for switching from my multi-layer heavy clothing penetrating .44 Special Bulldog in the winter, to this light single-layer clothing penetrating .32 mag in the Spring and Summer. Will use the same Kramer Horse Hide outside the waistband holster.
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
I see it as a natural for switching from my multi-layer heavy clothing penetrating .44 Special Bulldog in the winter, to this light single-layer clothing penetrating .32 mag in the Spring and Summer. Will use the same Kramer Horse Hide outside the waistband holster.

I had a fellow detective buddy carried a CA 44 Bulldog. I really couldn't condemn it. He was passable with shooting it.

Most of the rest of us carried 2 1/2" S&W's.. M66 round butts. .357 mag.
I like it. I think Charter had a bad reaction to 327, too much pressure. I'm sure the cylinder would need substantial more beef to chamber 7rnds of 327. I'll pick one up.
Cool!
Might make a decent kit gun though I prefer them to have an adjustable rear.
Pretty cool gun. I'd like to own a Charter 44 one of these days. Have wanted one since I was a kid.
Originally Posted by sawbuck

Reminds me of Charlie Utter's description of Wolcott's likely weapon choice.

LMAO, if you ever have to turn around, be turning around with a damn hard left or right hook, way to much talking there ; ]
And the award for fugliest grips goes to...
Those grips were made from a 2x4. You can tell because the top of it is still intact. It's not much cheaper than a J, so I don't expect a lot of sales.
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie

I had a fellow detective buddy carried a CA 44 Bulldog. I really couldn't condemn it. He was passable with shooting it.

Most of the rest of us carried 2 1/2" S&W's.. M66 round butts. .357 mag.

Still not a bad option.
Looks like they contracted the “contoured” grips out to an eighth grade shop class.

I’m big on the 32 mag, not so much on anything Charter. Hard pass
Originally Posted by fburgtx
And the award for fugliest grips goes to...

Grips are easy to replace if that is a deal breaker. Here is my Bulldog .44 Special with replacement grips in my Kramer Horse Hide holster

[Linked Image]
I considered the Charter Patriot in 327 once, until I actually got my paws on one. And I am a 327 slut.

I would check out the "Professional", if it would shoot 327 Fed. 32 H&R...meh. Just not that much more than a 22WMR.
Originally Posted by TheKid
Looks like they contracted the “contoured” grips out to an eighth grade shop class.

I’m big on the 32 mag, not so much on anything Charter. Hard pass

First thing I thought of was 7th Grade wood shop.
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Pretty cool gun. I'd like to own a Charter 44 one of these days. Have wanted one since I was a kid.

I carried one back in the 1980s.
Originally Posted by b_li_ber_tar_ian
I like it. I think Charter had a bad reaction to 327, too much pressure. I'm sure the cylinder would need substantial more beef to chamber 7rnds of 327. I'll pick one up.

I will be interested in seeing the cylinder wall thickness on the new Charter.
I have a Charter Arms Patriot. I load it as a warm .32 H&R with heavy for the caliber bullets. I believe heavy bullets in the .32 caliber Kit Guns is the best option. Modest velocity with a heavy punch.
I like the Charter fine but the front sight leaves a great deal to be desired. It is smooth frosted stainless. I painted it black and that helped.
Here are some old pictures comparing the .327 Federal Charter Patriot cylinder walls and barrel thickness to the .32 H&R Smith & Wesson.

Smith & Wesson M 632 and Charter Patriot
[Linked Image]

Charter Patriot cylinder wall thickness
[Linked Image]

NEI heavy for the caliber .32 bullets
[Linked Image]
Buffalo Bore has some semi-wadcutter (lead) .32 H&R mag +P "Outdoorsman" rounds that it claims will easily penetrate a bear's skull.

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=270

HEAVY 32 H&R MAG. +P OUTDOORSMAN
130 gr. Hard Cast Keith @ 1,125 fps

This 32 H&R +P load is designed for those who need a very deep penetrating hard cast heavy load. This load should penetrate about three feet into flesh and bone. While we have not tried it, based on our knowledge of other like-designed revolver loads in 357, and 44, this bullet should easily penetrate a large bear’s skull. The bullet is 21-22 BHN and is properly lubed and will not substantially lead foul barrels.
Definitely more mass. I'll take that thin walled 632 off your hands. Just thinking of your safety....
It is just a 32-- how much wall thickness does it need?

Should be good walking in the woods gun
Tam, at View from the porch-- says the 32 H&R is way under rated.
I like revolvers and I like .32's,..and the Charter looks like a nice revolver. But I have to say, I can't see that the .32 H&R is an improvement on a good .380 load that can be fired from a handgun much smaller and lighter than the Charter Arms is.
I haven't seen a .380 loading 130gr rounds. There may be some but I haven't seen em
The big selling point is 7rnds in something J frame sized. I have a 317 and 63, both 3" 8rnd 22s for shooting [bleep] when I'm cutting my field. This little 32 should have them covered
Originally Posted by b_li_ber_tar_ian
Definitely more mass. I'll take that thin walled 632 off your hands. Just thinking of your safety....

Its good to have someone looking out for my safety!
Themass of the barrels for the .327 Federal over the .32 H&R Magnum is interesting.
These are old pictures and I need to learn to label folders better - hard to find. The cylinder wall and barrel thickness between the M631, the GP100 and the Blackhawk are interesting. I have a S&W M632 Carry comp and the barrel is thick on it also.
Ruger .327 Blackhawk GP100 and S&W M631 cylinder walls
[Linked Image]
Ruger GP100 and S&W cylinder walls The GP and the Blackhawk are good cross stick handguns.
[Linked Image]
The Charter Arms Patriot is a bit better Kit Gun for carry.
[Linked Image]
The 32 is a weird little caliber where penetration is concerned. It penetrates real good. About 9 years ago I walked around the side of one of my houses and met a Pitbull in mid jump toward my throat, I pulled my S&W J-Frame 32 H&R with Buff Bore and fired. It went into the neck area and dropped him. The bullet exited his ass cheek. The dog weighed 95 pounds on my Meth dog scale.
I'm not very impressed.

The article says it holds two extra rounds more than a typical revolver. Except for 19th century designs it's actually only one extra round.

I'd rather have a .38 Special with +P ammo or a .357. For concealed carry, there are 9mm semis that are easier to conceal, more powerful, and hold 7 rounds.

Besides I think it's ugly but others might not mind. And yeah, you can change the grips, but why should you have to?
It reminds me of the "J" frame .38sp, S&W model 36 with a 3" barrel. A friend of mine had one, and it was sweet. It only had 5 shots, but it handled really well for a small frame.
When Ruger FINALLY releases their LCRx model with the 3” barrel and adjustable sights in .327 Fed Mag caliber, THEN will we finally have the PERFECT KIT GUN. 🤠
And the Charter Bulldog.44 is about the only interesting & useful product they make. 😜
Ruger made the SP101 as a six-shot .32 H&R with a 4 inch barrel. I have one and love it. Not sure that the extra round is worth going from Ruger to Charter Arms.
Originally Posted by Remington40x
Ruger made the SP101 as a six-shot .32 H&R with a 4 inch barrel. I have one and love it. Not sure that the extra round is worth going from Ruger to Charter Arms.

It looks like Charter Arms is attempting to up their game with this offering. There's actually not a thing wrong with the Charter Arms revolver design. It was actually ahead of its time, and in some ways superior to S&W and Colt, in that it permitted stronger guns with less steel, not having side plates. Do it right, and it should give Ruger and S&W both a run for their money.
[Linked Image]

This is a pic of my Charter 44 Spl Bulldog compared to my S&W 36 with a 3 inch barrel ...

Im looking forward to the Charter Professional 32 H&R ...

Charter builds several different revolvers on this frame ..
38spl 6 shot
9mm 5 shot
44spl 5 shot
40S&W 5 shot
357mag 5 shot

Recently they came out with a slightly larger frame
That comes in 45acp , 45 Colt & 41 mag

I own 3 Charter revolvers at this time, a 44spl
a Offduty Police 38spl six shot and a 12oz Alumium frame 38spl ..
I have owned at least one Charter revolver for the past 35yrs ... and dozen or more in between...

The 32 H&R is a greatly overlooked cartridge... as disscussed by Luckygunner....

I owned a Charter Patroit 6 shot 327mag ... Quicky become a 32 H&R and a 32 Long ... the 327 is loud out of a 2.2 inch barrel ...

I compare the 32 H&R / 327mag like the 38spl/357
I bought that new .45ACP revolver. It has built in moon clips, that work very slick. Definitely a larger frame than my .44 Special Bulldog.

[Linked Image]

These next two photos demonstrate how much larger the .45acp frame is compared to the .44 Special Bulldog. The .44 slips perfectly inside the holster, while the .45 does not.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
When Ruger FINALLY releases their LCRx model with the 3” barrel and adjustable sights in .327 Fed Mag caliber, THEN will we finally have the PERFECT KIT GUN. 🤠

Ruger will come very close with this one. I am looking forward to it.
The image of the Perfect Kitgun draws up all kinds of images.
George Nonte and David ward both may have had the Prefect Kitgun in the rebored S&W Model 34 - .32 S&W Long. What a great little cartridge handgun combination for general plinking and carry in the woods. Not for big critters and not for self defense but just a fun handgun to carry and fend off marauding rocks and bunny rabbits.
Here is David Wards Kitgun.
[Linked Image]
My Perfect Kitgun, at the moment, may be the S&W carry comp in .327 Federal. These are old pictures as I do not seem to have a recent picture. The front sight blade does not like the compensator hole.
[Linked Image]
The S&W M-36 3” with adjustable sights comes very close to perfection and deserves the title: Trail Masterpiece.
[Linked Image]
We all have out ideas of perfection but for me the.32 caliber revolvers make a fine carry/plinker and give a bit more satisfaction than the single actions and semi autos.
Charter arms had a pretty good start in the .327 Federal Patriot. With this hard dull black finish and it they would add a pinned front sight Charter could make a memorable Kitgun.
The 32 cal Smiths are beautiful guns. But prices are moving into collectors value on them.

Since the Smith is a bit over my budget now, and I am looking for something a bit lighter than the 4 inch SP101 I already own. I am also waiting for Ruger to release the "perfect kit gun".
Originally Posted by william_iorg

[Linked Image]

I used to have the one on the bottom. Sure wish I never sold it.
I have a M16-4 6” that is a good packing around and shooting small game, rocks, and stumps gun. It can be loaded pretty warm too since it’s basically a M19 with more meat around the chambers, but I never run it very hard. Usually cast SWCs at about 1000-1100fps, killed many grouse with it.

If I’m not actively hunting or looking for something to shoot I generally carry my M36 in a Roy’s Pancake. I have a 2” M10 as well but I don’t shoot it as well as the J frame, I think it’s the bigger sights. I shoot the M10 plenty good for SD work out to 25yds but not welol enough for shooting the head off a moving snake. With the M36 coffee cans are in danger at the 75 yard line, the beauty of small sights coupled with excellent vision. The 38sp makes a great all purpose trail cartridge too. More recoil than the 32 but about the same noise level, I generally stick with either a 158 SWCHP or a 173 Keith, both loaded over 5gr of Unique. A little overboard for rabbits but worked okay on the 125# pig I shot in the neck with the 2” M10.

I would love to have one of those 3” adjustable sighted M36s. And I should have bought a truckload of 3” M31s when they were dirt cheap.
Maybe nice, but think I will keep my 5 shot 357.
© 24hourcampfire