Home
Posted By: KC Cabelas Warranty Policy - 03/24/19
Cabelas no longer honors their lifetime warranty. I just tried to return a Cabeals XPG tent that I bought a few years ago. The warranty that was in effect when I bought the tent was lifetime, no questions asked. But that's all over. Since they were bought by Bass Pro shop the new warranty is one year on Cabelas brand products and 60 days on everythng else.

Cabelas is betraying their customers. Bass Pro Shop and Cabelas are now both on my DO NOT BUY LIST. mad

Posted By: GregW Re: Cabelas Warranty Policy - 03/24/19
What was the issue with the tent?
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Cabelas Warranty Policy - 03/24/19
Yeah.....is it broken?
Posted By: jmp300wsm Re: Cabelas Warranty Policy - 03/24/19
Yep all of the Cabelas policy's have changed since BPS assumed ownership. I no longer shop at either as well and won't unless I get a gift card or something. BPS is only worried about the bottom line and not customers. Johnny Morris has got a lot of overhead to pay for and it won't be with any of my money. Too bad as they were both once decent stores.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Cabelas Warranty Policy - 03/24/19
Lots of equipment renters ruined that years ago. Don't bother me any.
Posted By: RiverRider Re: Cabelas Warranty Policy - 03/24/19
I get a Bass Pro or Cabela's flyer in the mail about every week. I don't even look at them anymore...they go directly in the trash with all the Dish Network crap.
Posted By: KC Re: Cabelas Warranty Policy - 03/24/19
Originally Posted by GregW
What was the issue with the tent?

The zipper on the door is toast.

It's still a good tent. I'm going to try to get the zipper replaced by a local soft goods repair shop. It's worth it.
Posted By: RiverRider Re: Cabelas Warranty Policy - 03/24/19
Originally Posted by jmp300wsm
Yep all of the Cabelas policy's have changed since BPS assumed ownership. I no longer shop at either as well and won't unless I get a gift card or something. BPS is only worried about the bottom line and not customers. Johnny Morris has got a lot of overhead to pay for and it won't be with any of my money. Too bad as they were both once decent stores.

If you don't take care of customers, there won't be a bottom line worry about...not for long, anyway.
Posted By: 57springer Re: Cabelas Warranty Policy - 03/24/19
They also will not honor lifetime optics .
Posted By: HilhamHawk Re: Cabelas Warranty Policy - 03/24/19
A lot of that you can thank the wear out a pair of boots over 20 years and have the balls to take them back for a new replacement crowd.
Posted By: Prwlr Re: Cabelas Warranty Policy - 03/24/19
Originally Posted by Steelhead

Originally Posted by HilhamHawk
A lot of that you can thank the wear out a pair of boots over 20 years and have the balls to take them back for a new replacement crowd.

^^^^^^^^^^^^
This
Posted By: Paul39 Re: Cabelas Warranty Policy - 03/24/19
Originally Posted by Prwlr

^^^^^^^^^^^^
This

I was told that very thing when I visited the Sidney store many years ago. Sales guy said guides would outfit an entire camp, then return everything at the end of the season. Chutzpah, I believe it's called.

Posted By: TAGLARRY Re: Cabelas Warranty Policy - 03/24/19
Originally Posted by KC
Cabelas no longer honors their lifetime warranty. I just tried to return a Cabeals XPG tent that I bought a few years ago. The warranty that was in effect when I bought the tent was lifetime, no questions asked. But that's all over. Since they were bought by Bass Pro shop the new warranty is one year on Cabelas brand products and 60 days on everythng else.

Cabelas is betraying their customers. Bass Pro Shop and Cabelas are now both on my DO NOT BUY LIST. mad

Cabelas had a great warranty but they are here in name only. The problem is where are you going to go to buy a tent? Dicks? REI? Wal Mart?
Posted By: bobhanson1 Re: Cabelas Warranty Policy - 03/24/19
Most of the Cabelas branded stuff is also being phased out in favor of the Redhead Chinese garbage that lasts for one season, maybe two...
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Cabelas Warranty Policy - 03/24/19
Zippers are garbage anymore. Very seldom find even YKK zippers.

Lots of plastic garbage.

Your soft goods man might be able to fix it like you say.

A cobbler or leather man should be able as well.
Posted By: dale06 Re: Cabelas Warranty Policy - 03/24/19

I was in cabelas in Rogers Mn several years ago, well before BP bought them. I was trying to exchange something for a different size, that bought the day before.
Some idiot was in line in front of me trying to get a new pair of boots. The ones he wanted to exchange were absolutely totally worn out. They were not defective, they were worn out. I never saw the outcome of that debate, but he was loud and very assertive that they owed him a new set of boots.
Guess some people think you can buy a new pair of boots or other clothing, wear it out and get a new pair and start all over.
If cabelas accommodated that mentality, they deserve to go under.
Posted By: 1minute Re: Cabelas Warranty Policy - 03/24/19
Even Cabelas backed out of the no questions returns. Met one outfitter who bragged of buying entire camp outfits and returning all at the end of his seasons.
Posted By: tedthorn Re: Cabelas Warranty Policy - 03/24/19
Cabelas dropped the lifetime warranty because of warranty abuse.

Any large opperation offering up a lifetime warranty is setting itself up for abuse.
Originally Posted by TAGLARRY
Originally Posted by KC

Cabelas had a great warranty but they are here in name only. The problem is where are you going to go to buy a tent? Dicks? REI? Wal Mart?

Davis sells a tent or two each year
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Cabelas Warranty Policy - 03/24/19
People are fugkers.

^^^^^^^^^^^^
This

People are fugkers. Folks did the same thing with the Costco battery warranty.

Cabelas brand stuff has been getting worse and the price has been going up over the last 20 years. BPS house gear is near garbage. Most of it anyway.

Lucky to have Sportsman’s WH and good local shop. If they don’t carry it, there is always the web.
Posted By: AB2506 Re: Cabelas Warranty Policy - 03/24/19
Originally Posted by Paul39

^^^^^^^^^^^^
This

I was told that very thing when I visited the Sidney store many years ago. Sales guy said guides would outfit an entire camp, then return everything at the end of the season. Chutzpah, I believe it's called.

I saw people returning inflatable boats/rafts to Costco the after the long weekend. Terrible behaviour IMO.
Posted By: mtnsnake Re: Cabelas Warranty Policy - 03/24/19
Might have been different if cabelas bought bass pro. Who knows?
Originally Posted by KC

How can they do that legally? They still operate under the Cabelas name. When you purchased the product you both agreed to a lifetime warranty. Still being Cabelas, regardless of the parent company, they should still honor the warranty Cabelas sold the product with.

Purchases after the announcement of the new warranty, non lifetime, should go into effect for products purchased after the change. But if you still have a receipt showing you purchased prior...

That's like if Ford bought Kia, for example, and Kia offered a 10 year warranty when you bought it. Bring it in 37 months after buying it and Kia says GFY, we don't honor your 10 year warranty, it's now only 36 months. You bought it with a 10 year warranty. Still the Kia brand.
Posted By: BeanMan Re: Cabelas Warranty Policy - 03/24/19
REI has gone to the same warranty policy.
Originally Posted by Taco280AI
Originally Posted by KC

How can they do that legally? They still operate under the Cabelas name. When you purchased the product you both agreed to a lifetime warranty. Still being Cabelas, regardless of the parent company, they should still honor the warranty Cabelas sold the product with.

Purchases after the announcement of the new warranty, non lifetime, should go into effect for products purchased after the change. But if you still have a receipt showing you purchased prior...

That's like if Ford bought Kia, for example, and Kia offered a 10 year warranty when you bought it. Bring it in 37 months after buying it and Kia says GFY, we don't honor your 10 year warranty, it's now only 36 months. You bought it with a 10 year warranty. Still the Kia brand.

My guess would be to read the fine print on the warranty.

Just what I was thinking.

I couldn't buy something, use it for several years and then return it saying it was defective. That's not how it's supposed to work. Some folks really have a lot of balls.
Posted By: cisco1 Re: Cabelas Warranty Policy - 03/24/19

Lotsa reasons to not shop at Cabelas.................but , over-reacting to a fugked -up return policy ain't one of 'em.
Retailers know when they are getting taken advantage of

Walmart was known for a stellar return policy years ago...folks would buy a mower in the spring and return it in the fall

Buy a rifle or bow before deer season and return it afterwards

This has all ended with new policies and rightly so
Posted By: Tom264 Re: Cabelas Warranty Policy - 03/24/19
Originally Posted by Paul39

^^^^^^^^^^^^
This

I have to agree with this.
A few yrs ago I bought a Cabelas Alaknak 12x20 tent out of the bargain cave for $500.
The only thing wrong with it was some dirt in it.
That’s it!
Also same time I bought the vestibule for it for $75 - unused
And for $15 bought the spark arrestor cover for the stove. - unused
Unreal.
Posted By: Calvin Re: Cabelas Warranty Policy - 03/24/19
I appreciate the change in policy. I don’t want to pay more to make up for what they’d lose to the scammers.

Cabelas free shipping over $49 has been nothing but good to me.
Posted By: M1Garand Re: Cabelas Warranty Policy - 03/24/19
Originally Posted by dale06

If cabelas accommodated that mentality, they deserve to go under.

They did adjust it by stating the warranty was for the lifetime of the product and used predetermined life of the particular product. It's too bad they didn't use more common sense and tell the renters where to go when it was obvious what they were doing. And the others wearing it out thinking they got new stuff when it did.

Some real a$$holes ruined these return policies and I don't blame them. I'm just surprised they allowed so many to abuse it like they did. When LL Bean changed their's, they flat out said they were tired of people finding grandpas 50 year old $hit in the attic and returning it.
Posted By: tpcollins Re: Cabelas Warranty Policy - 03/24/19

I’ve seen some of those examples when my local Cabelas still had a Bargain Cave.
Posted By: Jerseyboy Re: Cabelas Warranty Policy - 03/24/19
A couple of years ago I bought a Zeiss scope at the Bargain Cave in the Hamburg, PA Cabela's. There is nothing wrong with it. I mentioned it to one of my shooting buddies, and he said someone probably bought it for a hunt and then returned it after the hunt was over. I never thought of that, but he was probably right.
Posted By: WAM Re: Cabelas Warranty Policy - 03/24/19
The only stuff I ever returned were two waterfowl jackets that leaked like a sieve. According to reviews, that model was crap. I had a pair of Cabelas Goretex 8 Point boots start leaking after 3 seasons. I figured I got the good out them for $99. Yard work boots now in dry weather. Store branded stuff is mostly junk anymore.
Posted By: 700LH Re: Cabelas Warranty Policy - 03/24/19
I returned a Cabelas scope less than a year ago.
They no longer sold that model so they gave me the next lessor model.
Sad to hear that is finished now but then so is Cabelas, in reality, they are Bass Pro now
Posted By: KenMi Re: Cabelas Warranty Policy - 03/24/19
They are owned by Bass Pro. Bass Pro bought the stores, etc. and decided what to do with the policies. Cabela's had no say, as no longer owner.
Think of it as Cabela's going out of business. Can't return Sears items if the store is kaput.
Posted By: luv2safari Re: Cabelas Warranty Policy - 03/24/19
Their warranty excludes wear and tear, no doubt. What's in the fine print?

Aside, Cabela's gear has gotten pretty lousy in the last few years. Now that BPS has pretty much turned the Cabela's stores into BPS outlets, it's become mostly Chinese junk, as Cabela's sailes away. I recently closed my cc with them and Capital One. Cap-1 is an awful credit card company with deceptive practices; they deserve each other.
Posted By: ST50 Re: Cabelas Warranty Policy - 03/26/19
About 10 years ago I started working on Jiffy ice augers from our local return processing facility. They got them from all over, but most of course from northern states. It averaged about 60 per year for 3 years. The majority had nothing wrong with them. People not able to understand 2 cycle engines or didn't like ice fishing after all. A few ruined engines ran without oil. Many were cobbled or damaged. Probably saw 20 cases of absolute fraud. 25 year old units returned in new boxes etc. Engine parts replaced with old parts, all kinds of crap. After processing about 180 of them and increasing my parts inventory, the return policy on them got changed and they started sending them back to the vendor, Feldman corporation. Total abuse of a "lifetime return policy" and I didn't blame them at the time. The facility here in western Nebraska is currently shutting down. At one time I believe it employed close to 100 people.
Posted By: Swifty52 Re: Cabelas Warranty Policy - 03/26/19
Originally Posted by ST50
About 10 years ago I started working on Jiffy ice augers from our local return processing facility. They got them from all over, but most of course from northern states. It averaged about 60 per year for 3 years. The majority had nothing wrong with them. People not able to understand 2 cycle engines or didn't like ice fishing after all. A few ruined engines ran without oil. Many were cobbled or damaged. Probably saw 20 cases of absolute fraud. 25 year old units returned in new boxes etc. Engine parts replaced with old parts, all kinds of crap. After processing about 180 of them and increasing my parts inventory, the return policy on them got changed and they started sending them back to the vendor, Feldman corporation. Total abuse of a "lifetime return policy" and I didn't blame them at the time. The facility here in western Nebraska is currently shutting down. At one time I believe it employed close to 100 people.

If you mean the main office in Sydney, at the time BPS bought them out it was 2000 employees. They have so far laid off about 1200 of them according to sources.
https://www.starherald.com/news/loc...d4bbc74-fa12-11e7-881a-3b8cf0227ca2.html

Cabela’s has long been an economic engine for Sidney, population about 6,800. The company once employed about 2,000 people in Sidney.
Posted By: atvalaska Re: Cabelas Warranty Policy - 03/26/19
Originally Posted by 1minute
Even Cabelas backed out of the no questions returns. Met one outfitter who bragged of buying entire camp outfits and returning all at the end of his seasons.

People came up here and did that for years...shipped to a post office ...flew in ...used the stuff for 2 weeks ...shipped the stuff back ..f-ed up imo ....
Posted By: ST50 Re: Cabelas Warranty Policy - 03/26/19
Originally Posted by Swifty52
Originally Posted by ST50

If you mean the main office in Sydney, at the time BPS bought them out it was 2000 employees. They have so far laid off about 1200 of them according to sources.
https://www.starherald.com/news/loc...d4bbc74-fa12-11e7-881a-3b8cf0227ca2.html

Cabela’s has long been an economic engine for Sidney, population about 6,800. The company once employed about 2,000 people in Sidney.

Yeah I know. I was talking about Oshkosh Ne. My daughter and son-in-law were in in Sidney and had to relocate. He worked in corporate clothing dept. He now works for another company and my daughter transferred her medical career to the same city thank goodness. They are shutting down our return facility that was in operation for about 22 years I believe.
Posted By: ChetAF Re: Cabelas Warranty Policy - 03/26/19
I really can't blame companies for giving up on the 'guaranteed money back return' concept or lifetime warranties.

My wife works for a large sporting goods chain and they routinely have people buy the top-end Swarovski and Leica binoculars, go on their once in a lifetime dream hunt, then return them after the hunt is over.

They recently had someone buy $1,000 in Sitka gear for a one-time sheep hunt, then try to return it all after the hunt claiming it just didn't fit them quite right.
Posted By: 1minute Re: Cabelas Warranty Policy - 03/27/19
Around here it's some of the really high end folks that pull the return stunts. One lady, now divorced from a distant friend, bought high end clothes, wore them out for an evening, and would return them the next day. Also have a neighbor that will ask to try out a new rig over a weekend, run the volleyball team to Vegas for a tournament, and bring it back trashed saying it just doesn't fit her needs.

Some people..
© 24hourcampfire