Home
Posted By: deflave Death of the 3-Wheelers - 04/14/19
Isn't it funny how the left in general flat out hates anything that's fun?

I had a Honda Big Red when I was a teen. It was quite the machine and I had many a fun day on that thing.
Posted By: TheKid Re: Death of the 3-Wheelers - 04/14/19
Amazing how many blame the three wheeler for incompetent operators too. I can’t tell you how many times someone has told me how dangerous they are. Same folks often have no problem with street bikes.
Posted By: 700LH Re: Death of the 3-Wheelers - 04/14/19
Be kinda interesting to know how many legs those things have broken
Posted By: irfubar Re: Death of the 3-Wheelers - 04/14/19
I loved those death traps..... smile seriously back in the day I had a big red and a 250R watercooled two stroke.. that thing was a beast. I painted the big red camo and it was my hunting rig.
The 250R was for shredding the dunes.... damn good times and lived to tell about it...
Those Rs were rockets. Wheelie riding mofos
Posted By: navlav8r Re: Death of the 3-Wheelers - 04/14/19
Another wheel hasn’t stopped idiots from hurting themselves
Posted By: prm Re: Death of the 3-Wheelers - 04/14/19
Good riddance. I hated the things. But I raced motocross on two wheels. Could not force myself to turn handlebars. Embarrassed myself on my friends 3-wheeler.
Originally Posted by navlav8r

True!!

the 3 wheelers had a certain pucker factor and kept ya on your game.... love em
Posted By: tedthorn Re: Death of the 3-Wheelers - 04/14/19
I had a 1985 200X and a 1986 250R

I loved riding those back in the day
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Death of the 3-Wheelers - 04/14/19
Haven't spotted a 3-wheeler lately but a 4 wheeler with 3 kids onboard is a fairly common occurrence.

Nine lives on the Rez!
Posted By: 340boy Re: Death of the 3-Wheelers - 04/14/19
Never got into 3-wheelers. I much prefer 2 wheels or my own two feet. 😃
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Death of the 3-Wheelers - 04/14/19
The same idiots blame the guns as well.........
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by jackmountain
[Linked Image]

That's it jackmountain..... thanks damn fine memories
XR650R conversion. Bet this bitch is badasssssss
[Linked Image]
Guy I used to work for brought home a 250R one day on the flatbed of his welding rig. He told me to unload it and tear it up a little. When I asked him where his ramp was he called me a puzzy, fired it up and dumped the clutch enough to pull the front wheel up while he jumped it off the bed and tore across the pasture.

I rode it enough to know that it was tons of fun but too much power for my skill. Probably rode 50k miles on a 1985 250SX though, slower more civilized 4 stroke machine with about 5x the suspension of the BigRed.
Posted By: packrat77 Re: Death of the 3-Wheelers - 04/14/19
I've got two Big Reds. My son and I rode them today. I've had several of them over the last 35 years. Would hate to be without them.
Posted By: Hastings Re: Death of the 3-Wheelers - 04/14/19
I bought the last Big Red 250 3-wheeler our dealer sold. Rode it almost every day for over 20 years. It was way better than any 4 wheeler for sharp turns when corralling cattle. Not as good as a horse but always saddled and ready to go. I wish I could buy another one just like it. It was $100 dollars cheaper than the 4-wheeler. It was raggedy but running good when I sold it to a neighbor kid and he blew it up in 2 weeks. Some things are just dangerous if you aren't careful, like horses and chainsaws, and worst of all probably snow skiing.
Posted By: KFWA Re: Death of the 3-Wheelers - 04/14/19
rode it yesterday

[Linked Image]
did all the big reds have the hi lo range down by your leg or was that certain models /years?
Posted By: deflave Re: Death of the 3-Wheelers - 04/14/19
Originally Posted by irfubar
I loved those death traps..... smile seriously back in the day I had a big red and a 250R watercooled two stroke.. that thing was a beast. I painted the big red camo and it was my hunting rig.
The 250R was for shredding the dunes.... damn good times and lived to tell about it...

250Rs were the fugkin' game changer yo!

Those things ripped.
Originally Posted by prm
Good riddance. I hated the things. But I raced motocross on two wheels. Could not force myself to turn handlebars. Embarrassed myself on my friends 3-wheeler.

My first bike was a KX60 and I have said for many years that "two wheels are safer than four."

I've actually seen this proven via statistics too.

But, if you watch the video you can see the left wing dick heads trying to chip away at the quad and the dirt bike too.

If it's fun, they hate it.
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
did all the big reds have the hi lo range down by your leg or was that certain models /years?

I think those were the utility models.
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Haven't spotted a 3-wheeler lately but a 4 wheeler with 3 kids onboard is a fairly common occurrence.

Nine lives on the Rez!

Can you imagine stx on the rez?

All that "cuzzin" speak would drive him wild.
Posted By: Rugies Re: Death of the 3-Wheelers - 04/14/19
I have a nice leg scar from stupidly putting a twist throttle on a tecate 250. Good times... The two strokes were crazy .
I always looked forward to a shiny new (to us) red Honda ATV .We only had utility models. That must have been an automatic with the hi lo range selector .
Originally Posted by TheKid
Guy I used to work for brought home a 250R one day on the flatbed of his welding rig. He told me to unload it and tear it up a little. When I asked him where his ramp was he called me a puzzy, fired it up and dumped the clutch enough to pull the front wheel up while he jumped it off the bed and tore across the pasture.

I rode it enough to know that it was tons of fun but too much power for my skill. Probably rode 50k miles on a 1985 250SX though, slower more civilized 4 stroke machine with about 5x the suspension of the BigRed.

They kinda remind of the Banshee back in the day.

They just tore.
Originally Posted by packrat77
I've got two Big Reds. My son and I rode them today. I've had several of them over the last 35 years. Would hate to be without them.

Shouldn't you be dead?
Originally Posted by KFWA
rode it yesterday

[Linked Image]

That's great!

Do you have a hard time with parts or are they easy to find?
This one caught my eye yesterday.

https://cincinnati.craigslist.org/snw/d/aurora-1981-atc250r-first-year/6863055430.html

The early big reds had a hi-lo the later model had a granny first gear.
Posted By: RiverRider Re: Death of the 3-Wheelers - 04/14/19
Those suckers could sure crawl up the back of your leg if you made a bad move, but they were fun as heck. Buddy of mine had a pair in the early 80s and we rode the piss outa them. Good times!
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by prm

My first bike was a KX60 and I have said for many years that "two wheels are safer than four."

I've actually seen this proven via statistics too.

But, if you watch the video you can see the left wing dick heads trying to chip away at the quad and the dirt bike too.

If it's fun, they hate it.

Yes two wheels are much safer. When you crash they tend to lay down. The three wheelers have bouncy tires and tend to flip forward and smash yo ass. The quads are a little better but still have the bouncy ball tires

I'd be all over that.
Posted By: las Re: Death of the 3-Wheelers - 04/14/19

Nine lives on the Rez!
. More like 6 to 8 in the Arctic villages. smile

Yes two wheels are much safer. When you crash they tend to lay down. The three wheelers have bouncy tires and tend to flip forward and smash yo ass. The quads are a little better but still have the bouncy ball tires

Yeah there's no false assurance on two wheels.

Some of the models 1984 and older had it , Maybe only the Big Reds and SX's. I bought a new 1984 model in 1985, shoulda bought the '85. It had a rear shock. A lot better ride.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Death of the 3-Wheelers - 04/14/19
had a friend back in the early 80s almost died on one, got a big settlement from honda. ex little brother in law almost killed on one.

Nine lives on the Rez!

Can you imagine stx on the rez?

All that "cuzzin" speak would drive him wild.

I'd start my own Tribe.
Whoo doggies...

Or is it whoa doggies!
i'd put a little Apache in em.
I bet you would....
I spent a lot of time on the ATC 110 packing a shovel back in the late 70s. Yes, it beat walking out to the meadows to irrigate. And it was quicker than saddling a horse.

But I would not trade a dozen three wheelers for my Suzuki Vinson 500 4x4 with hi/lo. I have a little trailer on which I can haul up to a ton of hay to feed the stock. Have never seen a three wheeler that could handle that chore.
Originally Posted by packrat77

Some of the models 1984 and older had it , Maybe only the Big Reds and SX's. I bought a new 1984 model in 1985, shoulda bought the '85. It had a rear shock. A lot better ride.

Not sure about the older ones but the 1985 SX was a straight clutchless 5 speed, no hi lo. Dad and his brother bought a pair to replace their ATC185s. Those 250sxs were ridden at least weekly from 85 until my uncle sold his in about 2002 and Dads gas tank rotted out. We helped the guy who bought uncle’s load up dad’s the day I left for Alaska in 2007. He used it for parts after dad gave it to him, he’s still riding one of them.

Had a bud with an ATC 185, rough riding suspensionless mofo but it would scoot. His dad used it to tow their dragsters around the pits and had it souped up. Bought it blown up and put an oversized piston in it and worked the head and carb.

Another buddy had a 350X with an extended trailing arm.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Death of the 3-Wheelers - 04/14/19
I rode one when I was a kid. Maybe 10 or 12. Ended up running over my own leg. Lol. I was used to 2 wheels and that outboard rear wheel ate my lunch.

Never really saw many of them.

We all had dirt bikes except for a couple folks with 4 wheelers, the hot chick that lived down the road and a buddy who’s dad thought motorcycles were too dangerous and got him a little quad. My first bike was a YZ 80. ‘85 or ‘86. The thing was a screamer.
And a big fat fuggin plus one to the concerned mothers of America and their pussy husbands that get all the fun schit banned.

I’m really quite shocked tannerite has made it as long as it has.
Posted By: joken2 Re: Death of the 3-Wheelers - 04/14/19

I had a 250 Big Red w/reverse for a short while back years ago. Let my son drive it a few times just putting around the backyard. After a few times he got a bit too over confident too soon to my liking. Went outside and saw it missing one day then heard it it zooming around over on a nearby vacant lot.I walked over there and saw he had that thing airborne jumping dirt hills. Being my son I knew he was prone to pushing things to their limits and beyond his ability to control so I sold it soon after. No more ATVs since but still have my son.

Daughter-in-law's dad was killed when his 4 wheeler flipped over on top of him. She was about 16 years old and our son had just started dating her. She was home alone at the time and found her dad out behind their house a little ways with the heavy machine on top of him. They lived pretty far out in the boonies and she had to wait there close to an hour with her dead dad for first responders to arrive,

Young guy I used to work with was out with a group of friends and their families riding 4 wheelers one weekend. Fun weekend for all until one of them flipped and killed a toddler that was riding with it's dad.

As always, YMMV.
Posted By: ctsmith Re: Death of the 3-Wheelers - 04/14/19
No love for the Tri Z?

[Linked Image]
How about Chinese throwing stars? Those things were the schit when I was a little kid.

Can you still buy them? Used to buy them at the local Army/Navy store. Hell, haven’t even seen one of those in quite a while.

Probably have to order them on the innerwebs through a 3rd party shipper knowing this state.
Posted By: White_Bear Re: Death of the 3-Wheelers - 04/14/19
I probably put 100,000 miles on a 110 Honda as a kid. It didn't shut off all day long. We had some 125's, 185's, 200's and grandpa had a couple Big Reds.
I've picked up a couple the last five years to relive my childhood. '85 200X and an '87 250X (white plastic). They are a hoot!

They fit nice in the back of the pick-up or bucket of the track hoe when I'm moving stuff around and no need for ramps.
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: Death of the 3-Wheelers - 04/14/19
Honda 200X and I got along pretty good. I had '83, '84 and an '86. I almost did a full barrel roll on one, ALMOST. I was cool and had front fender extenders on 'em all!
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: Death of the 3-Wheelers - 04/14/19
I preferred the Honda Odyssey. Honda stopped making them when I was about to buy one.
I would love to find a Pilot. 2stroke Odyssey with an upgraded suspension. They didn’t make them long and they were screamers. If you can find one the don’t come cheap.
Posted By: Higginez Re: Death of the 3-Wheelers - 04/14/19
I've always known they were dangerous ever since the blonde chick on CHiP's got kidnapped by them Hell's Angels and tried to make her get-away on that trike and flipped.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Death of the 3-Wheelers - 04/14/19
My only memory of one is running over my leg. I can't even pencil out how that's possible now.
Posted By: 2five7 Re: Death of the 3-Wheelers - 04/14/19
My 13 year old son has an '86 250. He worked out a deal with his great Uncle, who was the original owner, to work on his ranch for a couple weeks to get it, he was 10 at the time. I was proud as heck of him for doing his own negotiating, and holding up his end of the deal.
Posted By: RoninPhx Re: Death of the 3-Wheelers - 04/14/19
I have a mint condition 84 big red 200cc engine. didn't have a hand clutch, but you shifted the gears by foot petal. It has a hi/lo switch on the left side. And yes i did run it up my leg one time, that's when you learn to not put your foot down.
Had two shocks on the front, rear suspension was just the tires.
I keep it in some ways because the gooberment didn't want me to have it.
in sand it works real well. in mud and on roads with a lot of ruts, it gets entertaining.
I started with a 3 wheeler, but when the 4 wheelers came out, I've got no use for the 3 wheeler. When it comes to 4 wheelers, I've got many a mile on one of several brands and models. Mostly Yamaha, Kawasaki, Honda, etc. Sorry I sold mine when I left Alaska but it's just not the same.
Posted By: 79S Re: Death of the 3-Wheelers - 04/14/19
Gd you do some serious ph ucking donuts on one of them. The Rez i grew up on seemed like everyone had one. Nothing better than drunk Indians, 3 wheelers trying to outrun the tribal cops..
I've still got a Yamaha. It don't run anymore though.
Posted By: Judman Re: Death of the 3-Wheelers - 04/14/19
Haha 3 wheelers, god damn I'm lucky I lived through em!!!
Posted By: Judman Re: Death of the 3-Wheelers - 04/14/19
Originally Posted by Fireball2
My only memory of one is running over my leg. I can't even pencil out how that's possible now.

Oh, it was waaay easier, than easy!!!!Haha
yea I can attest to having one run up your leg. Had the idle set too high and started it in gear. Things pops a wheelie and instinctively you try to plant your feet right in front of two baloon tires.It turns from 3 wheeler to steam roller. I limped around for 2 days.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Death of the 3-Wheelers - 04/14/19
They were the scheit in AK and went for good money.

Much easier to load/unload from a boat.
Posted By: Kyhilljack Re: Death of the 3-Wheelers - 04/14/19
Dad had one of these out in Colorado. Kawasaki 250 Prairie. Used it for elk hunting from 1988 to 2003. When dad moved back here he gave it to me. Had it for 4 more years until the bottom end seized up. Had a knob on the left rear wheel hub you would turn to lock in the rear axle. Would climb a tree but tough to steer, would push that front wheel in a turn. Never wrecked it though.Shot a mule deer buck once and couldn't find dad. Couldn't get it on the rear rack. Tied it to drag but couldn't get up one steep hill, it would wheelie half way up no matter how much I leaned forward. Finally got up and was so tired I dragged it on the road all the way out. Tenderized the right side and took off most of the hide.[Linked Image]
I've never heard of that Kawasaki. You'd think as much as I scour craigslist, one would have come up on the used market. Looks like there is a master cylinder on it, real shocks on the front - very clean design.
Yeah I think it did have a master. Speedo too. Had it up to 42 mph at 9000' at dad's once. When I got it back here I was older and wiser and never cracked on it. When coming down out of the mountains you you put that front wheel in one of the grooves in the road and let the 2 rear wheels ride each side. It was quite a workout.
That reporter is one smug son of a bitch.

He acts like Honda was selling meth.
Posted By: Orion2000 Re: Death of the 3-Wheelers - 04/14/19
Wife had two sisters. One sister and her husband bought a couple three wheelers for their kids to run on the family farm. The farm kids and our daughters ran the three wheelers all over the farm for months without incident. Had a family reunion on the farm. Sister number three showed up with her hellions. Wrecked both three wheelers in less than two hours. Including turning one upside down on a pregnant passenger.

Like the old saying "It's the Indian, not the bow...", with three wheelers, many (most?) of the issues were the BIKER, not the bike.
yea I can attest to having one run up your leg. Had the idle set too high and started it in gear. Things pops a wheelie and instinctively you try to plant your feet right in front of two baloon tires.It turns from 3 wheeler to steam roller. I limped around for 2 days.

I have always heard this but never understood it.
Never seen this model but would like to have had one. It was called the Duckster .[Linked Image]
Posted By: EQFD193 Re: Death of the 3-Wheelers - 04/14/19
Missing a wheel smile but from the same time period....I resurrected this one several years back. I've been busy with other projects and it sat for two years until last week...I cleaned it, check fluids, replaced the battery, fresh gas and hit the button smile smile smile !!! [Linked Image][Linked Image]
Posted By: kid0917 Re: Death of the 3-Wheelers - 04/14/19
Originally Posted by Orion2000
... Sister number three showed up with her hellions. Wrecked both three wheelers in less than two hours. Including turning one upside down on a pregnant passenger.

Like the old saying "It's the Indian, not the bow...", with three wheelers, many (most?) of the issues were the BIKER, not the bike.

too many video games evident there in the 3rd sister's kids. It was hilarious watching my 13 YO son and a friend ride 4 wheelers for the first time. They thought they could just romp on the throttle, as if in a v-game. Took them a while to understand the real-life mechanics and physics of the Yamaha Big Bear.
Originally Posted by EQFD193
Missing a wheel smile but from the same time period....I resurrected this one several years back. I've been busy with other projects and it sat for two years until last week...I cleaned it, check fluids, replaced the battery, fresh gas and hit the button smile smile smile !!! [Linked Image][Linked Image]

Yamaha still makes the tw200 alot of aftermarket support for the too. Gas pack mule.
Posted By: kenoh2 Re: Death of the 3-Wheelers - 04/14/19
Originally Posted by ctsmith
No love for the Tri Z?

[Linked Image]

No
Originally Posted by Kyhilljack
Never seen this model but would like to have had one. It was called the Duckster .[Linked Image]

that looks like something from WWII
Posted By: Big Stick Re: Death of the 3-Wheelers - 04/14/19
I grew up in 3-Wheeler HEAVEN. A couple pards got killed,a couple more paralyzed...schit happens.

Was it the 'Wheelers "fault"? Nope.

Did we miss not having an '87 250R? Yep.

Fhuqk it...I had a Baja Bug,Camaro and a Jeep with a Big Block. No thang,with a job on the backdeck of THE Highliner.

Hint...................
Nice restoration EFQ.

Those are cool bikes.
The old Samurai was another good example of lib thinking.

To this day people will tell you they’re “death traps.” Even though they’re still made and driven all over the world.
Posted By: Big Stick Re: Death of the 3-Wheelers - 04/14/19
In '85 an Old Boy built THE Oddy-Saki...which was a Honda Odyssey frame,mated to a 600cc 'zuki powerplant. The bitch RAN like a raped fhuqking ape,though "suspension" was LIMITING.

'Nother pard mated a Chevelle body to a 'Burban Big Block Frame and rallied THE fhuqk outta it. 48" Swampers were THE schit and 36" Buckshots what you gave your Prom Date.

Now a fhuqking Rice Grinder RULES The Roost.

Too funny!..................
I fail to see where a Four-Wheeler is any less dangerous than a Three-Wheeler. I thought at the time, the companies making them were behind the anti-three-wheeler push and resultant laws. IMO it was because the originals were so good that everybody had them and they weren't selling new ones so good and needed something to jump start the market. This plus as I remember it the Four Wheelers were a lot more expensive than the Three's.

Old trucks were a whole lot less expensive than new ones and it ain't all inflation. New trucks have a lot more features (and are a lot better IMO than ones made in the 70's and even 80's). It's comparing apples and oranges though as 'til the mid seventies hardly any trucks had four wheel drive and now they are extremely common plus the popularity of extended cabs and full four doors which were hardly ever seen until the late eighties or so. Same thing with four wheels vs. three. The three wheelers were great, bargain vehicles mostly with a lot fewer features than four wheelers.
Posted By: EQFD193 Re: Death of the 3-Wheelers - 04/14/19
Thanks deflave, well worth the effort on the rebuild...runs like a top !!
Posted By: Bocajnala Re: Death of the 3-Wheelers - 04/14/19
Had a Yamaha 225 and a big red 250

Fun machines. Traded both for an XR. Wish I still had them. But I've always preferred two wheels

-Jake
Posted By: Windfall Re: Death of the 3-Wheelers - 04/14/19
Good riddance. I haven't seen one in years and never want to ride another one. I grew up riding dirt bikes and motorcycles, but those 3 wheelers handled completely differently. My buddy had a Big Red and he could ride it well, but not me. I'd lean one way like on my dirt bikes and the wheeler would go the other way! Around a corner I'd put my foot down and the back tire would try to run over my leg. The last straw was trying to get the thing back to camp through a 10 acre open area with one tree out in the middle. It was like that tree was a magnet and reeling me in to hit it. Four wheelers are way better for me.
You’re not supposed to put your feet down on a four wheeler either.

And I admit the three wheel configuration makes little sense. But if you watch that 60 minutes report you can see they want to ban bikes and quads too. They’ve just been unsuccessful at it.
Posted By: hanco Re: Death of the 3-Wheelers - 04/14/19
I haven’t seen one in ages.
Posted By: Alamosa Re: Death of the 3-Wheelers - 04/14/19
60 Minutes used to air letters from readers at the end of each program.
A few weeks after this segment aired they read a letter from a viewer that was very well written. The viewer pointed out that it pure hypocrisy for 60 minutes to villainize the 3 wheeler when a week or two previous 60 Minutes aired a segment praising the virtues of the Ferrari (Testarossa or Countach can't recall which). The letter was well written, it used some of 60 Minutes own benchmarks for comparing safety, and the 60 Minutes spokesman was noticeably chagrined and unhappy at having to be the one to admit that there was nothing objective about their reports on the 2 vehicles. Essentially, the Ferrari was more dangerous then the 3 wheeler when using the same comparisons that 60 Minutes had used.
Posted By: BOWSINGER Re: Death of the 3-Wheelers - 04/14/19
Originally Posted by TheKid
Amazing how many blame the three wheeler for incompetent operators too. I can’t tell you how many times someone has told me how dangerous they are. Same folks often have no problem with street bikes.

They were dangerous.
What isn’t dangerous?
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Death of the 3-Wheelers - 04/14/19
They were great.

I have near 100,000 miles on a ATC 110 with electric start.

Yeah, I wrecked it a few times. Once I ran over the steel basket that was bolted on the front. That flipped me.

Greatest thing a 6 year old could have.
Posted By: fubarguy Re: Death of the 3-Wheelers - 04/14/19
I believe they were banned due to young children flipping them. Another case of unattentive parenting. A simple roll bar would have solved the problem. Like the eary jeeps. No roll over protection
Three wheelers are great for weeding the retards out of the gene-pool..... figures liberals would ban them.... can't be losing constituents....
Yeah, we flipped them all the time.

Go up a hill and they would come over on you.

Go down a hill and you would go over the front....only to be run over.

Hit a deep rut at speed and you would spiral like a well thrown foot ball.

Made safe riders out of us.
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Yeah, we flipped them all the time.

Go up a hill and they would come over on you.

Go down a hill and you would go over the front....only to be run over.

Hit a deep rut at speed and you would spiral like a well thrown foot ball.

Made safe riders out of us.

This^^^^ you had to be on your game or they would eat you alive.... love it!
Posted By: bubbajay Re: Death of the 3-Wheelers - 04/14/19
Originally Posted by Kyhilljack

that looks like something from WWII

I was thinking about the duckster when I opened this thread, a friend from high school had one. It ran over my leg as well.
Posted By: logcutter Re: Death of the 3-Wheelers - 04/14/19
They discontinued the Yamaha Rhino for the same reasons.Never had rollover issues with mine.People rolling and wrecking them that should have never owned a four wheeler in the first place...As to the three wheelers,I had two of the mini's I got in a trade and two of the big ones...At the time they worked...I would take another one at the right price.

Not if you take it down to the local tire store and have 8 ply radials mounted up. My Vinson has no bounce from the tires at all, and is quite resistant to puncture vine. But you do have to slow down a bit in rough stuff, or it will shake your teeth out,
Posted By: BluMtn Re: Death of the 3-Wheelers - 04/14/19
I had a Yamaha 225 shaft drive, That thing scared the heck out of me. Used it to get from one field to the next and for hunting. An interesting fact, toward the end of the 3 wheelers when the government was shutting them down there was a company that came out with a front end kit that converted the front end from a single to a steering axle making it a four wheeler. A friend of mine put it on his Honda 250R. Wow was that a ride.
Posted By: satx78247 Re: Death of the 3-Wheelers - 04/14/19

TRUE. - Ridden carefully, I had NO problem with ours.

yours, trex
Posted By: pahick Re: Death of the 3-Wheelers - 04/14/19
We had a bunch of em over the years. My cousin broke his pelvis riding my dads. We got rid of em when 4 wheelers came out. I think it was about '94-95 I went to Ontario on a bear hunt. We got on the far side of North Bay and I HAD to call my dad. 3 wheelers everywhere! If the Canadians didnt have a 3 wheeler they had an Argo. You played hell to find either around our house at the time.
For the rookies that can't ride a 3-wheeler. whistle

Posted By: fester Re: Death of the 3-Wheelers - 04/14/19
Had a 200 and a 70 bike

Best times of my life

Graduated to a cr 80 1983

Ended up with xr650l
My dirt riding bud got his leg/knee tore up.

Caught his leg in the back tire

Girl killed her self rolling one

Bad
We had a Honda 125 at the Ranch for years. Our cows hated that sombitch.
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
We had a Honda 125 at the Ranch for years. Our cows hated that sombitch.

We never chased cows with our three wheeler.

We rode horses until the day that grandpa got to where he did not want to get up and down off a saddle horse all day.

Grandpa introduced a blue Polaris Trail boss 2 stroke 250 to the operation.

The first time we rode that out to the cows I swear every one of their brains rolled over.

They just went insane.
We bought one when we sold the last of our horses.
Posted By: gunzo Re: Death of the 3-Wheelers - 04/14/19
I traded a nice 82 XR250 dirt bike for a new 85 ATC 200x. One hour into my first ride I thought, what the heck have I done? I traded something I could ride for this damn thing. I got used to it, had fun & traded next year for a new 86 because they had changed the entire platform. A much better unit.
Was a little wild back then & had a growing ex-ray file at the ER. Had fun though. I wasn't really sorry to see the fad die.

Now it's just a grandpaw 450 Honda 4x4. I wouldn't mind having a side by side but the cost of new is ridiculous IMO, & ain't about to buy a used one that I don't know the owner or history.
Posted By: dodgefan Re: Death of the 3-Wheelers - 04/14/19
I remember as a kid seeing three wheelers and Honda Odyssey single seaters just about everywhere it seemed like.

I was in my 20's before I ever rode one. My brother had a souped up 3 wheeler of some type. I rode it a few times and figured I had broke enough bones.

navlav8r,

SPOT ON. = The 3-wheelers were NEVER made for HOT-RODDING. - Instead they were made to go nearly ANYWHERE at LOW speed.

yours, tex
I don’t believe the 250R was made to go anywhere at low speed...
Posted By: cv540 Re: Death of the 3-Wheelers - 04/14/19
Used one as a kid to check fences. Didnt drive it like an idiot so never had a problem with it.

Also drove narrow front end tractors so I knew they could be tippy on steep slopes. I knew that the higher the speed whether on a tractor or 3 wheeler the easier they were to roll.
Guess it's important to protect idiots from themselves.

250R's are capable of flying also......

I died on this day....... well not really, but it was close...

Sorry for the crappy pic

[Linked Image]
cv540,

ALSO TRUE.

yours, tex
And yes we did drink the 12 pack before riding.......

[Linked Image]
Big red doin it's thing.....

Pre-quad days....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: djs Re: Death of the 3-Wheelers - 04/14/19

Someone may have observed that this video is very old; Ed Bradley has been dead for 13 years.
Originally Posted by djs

Someone may have observed that this video is very old; Ed Bradley has been dead for 13 years.

Yes captain obvious.... they banned them years ago..... you lib's aint to smart huh?
Posted By: sgt217 Re: Death of the 3-Wheelers - 04/14/19

Nope the 250r was wicked fast, especially if you bought a 300 cylinder and bolted that on...I had a friend with a radar gun that clocked it at 96...
Posted By: joken2 Re: Death of the 3-Wheelers - 04/14/19

Was watching a young fellow practice riding what I assume was a new to him fairly good size 4 wheeler out in a sports field behind work one afternoon. He started off just putt-putting around slowly on the level playing field then after a little while tried driving it down into about a 4' deep ditch and trying to get it to go back up the other side. The other side of the ditch was steeper and he couldn't make it climb all of he way up and out of the ditch so he kept giving it more and more throttle. Last time he tried he fired it up big time and came close to making it out too until it damn near tipped over backwards on top of him. Luckily it went back down right side up. I would imagine several hundred pounds of steel and plastic falling from that high and landing on top of someone probably could be painful at the very least.

Kids should learn on a two wheeler.
deflave; sgt217,

Per haps the 250R will go MUCH faster but it should NOT be. - It's not the general public's responsibility to protect FOOLS from themselves & their own FOOLISHNESS.
(My Chrysler convertible will EXCEED 115MPH on the public highway. - That's doesn't mean that anyone should operate it in that fashion.)

My family used our Honda 250 responsibly on our family farm, for YEARS & YEARS.

yours, tex
I agree I'm just saying some 3 wheelers were made for racing.

Couldn't agree more.

I agree Jim, two wheeler's are much more forgiving... the problem being two wheeler fundamentals will get you hurt on a three wheeler. Example... putting a foot down to turn is a sure way to get your leg mangled...... the body english required are direct opposites also.

It took me awhile to transition back and forth. Quads don't seem to have this problem.

The two wheeler can teach the mechanical fundamentals... kill switch, shifting, braking etc.....

It is probably best three wheeler's are a thing of the past.... fun while they lasted though

Yes
After watching nasty 3 wheels of death I couldn’t agree more

Love them sobs though

I agree Jim, two wheeler's are much more forgiving... the problem being two wheeler fundamentals will get you hurt on a three wheeler. Example... putting a foot down to turn is a sure way to get your leg mangled...... the body english required are direct opposites also.

It took me awhile to transition back and forth. Quads don't seem to have this problem.

The two wheeler can teach the mechanical fundamentals... kill switch, shifting, braking etc.....

It is probably best three wheeler's are a thing of the past.... fun while they lasted though

There is that about the leg.

Same thing with snowmobiles. Bike guys always want to stick that leg out.
I learned on three wheels.

I seriously doubt that my kids will ever see or ride an ATC.
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: Death of the 3-Wheelers - 04/14/19
Had a Big Red back in the mid 80's for getting around in the Everglades but somehow avoided killing myself, or even crashing it. Imagine that. Maybe kids should learn to fly choppers before going airborne on a 3 wheeler?
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Had a Big Red back in the mid 80's for getting around in the Everglades but somehow avoided killing myself, or even crashing it. Imagine that. Maybe kids should learn to fly choppers before going airborne on a 3 wheeler?

Hey Dan.

I think I could fly a chopper pretty good but nobody lets me give it a go.

Hey Dan.

Brother Flave, I think in your case you should start with three wheelers... I hear the 250R is nice beginners bike.....

Hey Dan.

Which ones the collective?

You run that with your feet right?

All I know about helicopters is that they have little bitty fire extinguishers and fuel switches.

When you crash you shut the switches off and find the fire extinguisher.

Remember that the extinguisher is for your friends.....not the aircraft.

Oh, also....when giving a pre flight briefing make damn sure they listen and allow no one to walk towards the tail rotor. Not even Jesus or the President Himself.

Brother Flave, I think in your case you should start with three wheelers... I hear the 250R is nice beginners bike.....

I already know how to ride those you piss drunk cock.

I'm talking about the machines that have the big twirling things on top.
Wow !
What memories , and a couple of broken collar bones to boot.
Started on one of those 200 S’s before moving on to a 1985 250 R.
Sold the 250 R after the 2 nd broken collar bone, and went to a 250 four trac.

All I know about helicopters is that they have little bitty fire extinguishers and fuel switches.

Oh, also....when giving a pre flight briefing make damn sure they listen and allow no one to walk towards the tail rotor. Not even Jesus or the President Himself.

This is horrible advice.

You don't know what you're talking about.

Dad used to fly one occasionally.

He said it was fun.

You weren't even born when the 250R reigned king..... kids these days... sheesh
Originally Posted by Stilllearning
Wow !
What memories , and a couple of broken collar bones to boot.
Started on one of those 200 S’s before moving on to a 1985 250 R.
Sold the 250 R after the 2 nd broken collar bone, and went to a 250 four trac.

You ATV guys are dangerous.

This is horrible advice.

You don't know what you're talking about.

You are right.

What the hell am I gonna tell Jesus??

You weren't even born when the 250R reigned king..... kids these days... sheesh

Buuuulschit.

I'm older than I look mothafugka.
Flave since you are so mean to me you are no longer my brother.... ha
You might want to PM , MCH he knows everything and people with hello's , he even wrenches on them maybe he could help you bumm a flyin gig?
Just remember , hold my beer and watch this is frowned upon in the hello world....
Hey I like MontanaCreekHunter.

We could all be brothers.

Yeah, that's obvious. They're uptight as fugk. Not sure how Dan gets to drive one and I don't.
Hey I like MontanaCreekHunter.

We could all be brothers.

Yeah, that's obvious. They're uptight as fugk. Not sure how Dan gets to drive one and I don't.

You should make MCH your BFF......

And the only reason Dan was allowed to fly them contraptions was cuz he was getting shot at.... nobody wanted that gig at the time..
He is a barbarian and the perfect man for the job though....
I was all ready to be certified as a HECM.....or Helicopter Crew Member.

That was before they decided they would have to burn fuel in order to get the useful load high enough to take me along. We did load calcs and I was the load........

Out of ground effect high up on a hot day???

Fuggetaboutit.
Of course....when Conrad is in a LZ............it is always to be considered out of ground effect.......
They made trikes even more evil that the mighty 250R. Google 500 Tiger trike. Bucket list right there.

I got dinged up a few times on ATC's as a kid but I was also hauling cow manure out in the pasture among other farm chores by myself at age 7 with a tractor. Grow up tough and smart or die I guess.

Deflave, if you want to fly, hit me up. I have a couple flying machines and I don't give a crap about rules.
I was all ready to be certified as a HECM.....or Helicopter Crew Member.

That was before they decided they would have to burn fuel in order to get the useful load high enough to take me along. We did load calcs and I was the load........

Out of ground effect high up on a hot day???

Fuggetaboutit.

They're pretty cool machines though.

I call them "the snowmobile of the sky."
Originally Posted by White_Bear
They made trikes even more evil that the mighty 250R. Google 500 Tiger trike. Bucket list right there.

I got dinged up a few times on ATC's as a kid but I was also hauling cow manure out in the pasture among other farm chores by myself at age 7 with a tractor. Grow up tough and smart or die I guess.

Deflave, if you want to fly, hit me up. I have a couple flying machines and I don't give a crap about rules.

I just googled that Tiger and it looks cool as fugk. MN built too, eh?

Same video says KTM made one? That's insane.

I don't make it to MN often but if I do I'll hit you up. I've flown planes but never a helicopter. Would be fun to get smashed and take one for a spin.
I'd love to stuff a 520KTM engine in a trike chassis. Permaboner.

My flying machines have the spinning part behind you.
Posted By: CowboyTim Re: Death of the 3-Wheelers - 04/14/19
Buddy of mine had a Big Red when we were kids. Never owned an atv myself, always kinda wanted a Suzuki Quad though, just thought they were kinda cool.
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: Death of the 3-Wheelers - 04/14/19

Hey Dan.

Flyin'm is easy, it's the hovering part that'll phuoc up your head. At first.

Being bipolar helps.
Posted By: Cheyenne Re: Death of the 3-Wheelers - 04/14/19
Three wheelers were the next big thing when I was learning to hunt, and riding double was common. It was hard to go a weekend without falling off one, even at low speed. I ran out and bought a 200 Big Red and managed to hit a rut and flip over the handlebars. I landed on my back and had managed to break my wrist of the hand that was mashing the throttle at the time I hit the rut. I had to switch the throttle of the machine to the left side, put camo tape on the cast, and learn to shoot a scoped rifle left handed for one season. I also had to learn to write left handed or a couple of months. (ETA: I had to learn to shift the manual transmission of my Toyota truck left handed.)

Every lawyer I ran into (a LOT) wanted to sue Honda for me, but I told them I knew they were dangerous and I knowingly took the risk. At least I had a better story than the people who broke their wrist tripping over the family dog or their kid’s toy.

Haven't had any mishaps yet with 4 wheeled ATVs and UTVs.
Back in the day I drank like a fish and rode like a demon... for years and had no injuries..... love three wheelers...

Haha. That'd be cool.

I'm sure I can fly them just fine.

It should be little and blue.
My flying machine has a O-300 in it.

Check mate!
Posted By: Bocajnala Re: Death of the 3-Wheelers - 04/14/19
That tiger 500 is pretty cool. Never had heard of them

-Jake
Posted By: tuskbuster Re: Death of the 3-Wheelers - 04/15/19
me and my brother wore a 90 out back in the early 70s never a broken bone but some of the best fun I can remember
Posted By: irfubar Re: Death of the 3-Wheelers - 04/15/19
Originally Posted by tuskbuster
me and my brother wore a 90 out back in the early 70s never a broken bone but some of the best fun I can remember

Yep some can ride, some can't
Posted By: KFWA Re: Death of the 3-Wheelers - 04/15/19
I remember when we were young teens, a friend of mine had the 110 or 125, and after a flood he was riding around, got to the waters edge, hopped off and it floated. He swam it across to the other side of the field where the water was low. I was jealous of him with my XR75
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Death of the 3-Wheelers - 04/15/19

Hush with that schit.

Never been hard to figure out who rides and who dont....

Hint.......
Posted By: irfubar Re: Death of the 3-Wheelers - 04/15/19

Hush with that schit.

Never been hard to figure out who rides and who dont....

Hint.......

Sorry big Jim. I will shut my trap..... smile
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Death of the 3-Wheelers - 04/15/19
Haha!

Just sayin......
Posted By: 22250rem Re: Death of the 3-Wheelers - 04/15/19
Haven't seen one in years. The ones I remember just looked unstable when being ridden hard. Girl I used to know almost lost her husband to one in the late '70's IIRC..... They were both mid to late 20's at the time. He was out of work a very long time and his back is screwed up permanently. Late 1980's some young guys down the road had one and every time that thing went by it was bouncing like it was gonna go out of control...... It finally did and took out my mailbox doing it..... The kid was thrown clear and flew across the ditch and landed in our front yard. I was at work at the time but I heard he got banged up pretty good but no broken bones. I'd ride one if I had a chance but I damn sure would be taking it slow and easy. I don't trust those things above 10 mph or so.
Posted By: Lawdwaz Re: Death of the 3-Wheelers - 04/15/19
1986 Big Red in the background......don't ask about the fish and pistol. smile

[Linked Image]
Posted By: White_Bear Re: Death of the 3-Wheelers - 04/15/19

My permaboner??? Yes and yes on both.
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: Death of the 3-Wheelers - 04/15/19
l rolled a Honda 90 with no brakes down a hill and over a rock pile as a kid. Broken Collar bone and major concussion. I didn't blame Honda.
Posted By: fester Re: Death of the 3-Wheelers - 04/15/19
Originally Posted by Bocajnala
That tiger 500 is pretty cool. Never had heard of them

-Jake

Did you ride one? 500 atc.
Scary ride if you thumbed it
Posted By: Vek Re: Death of the 3-Wheelers - 04/15/19
Jumped the driveway on the 200s as a young kid...didn't weigh enough to stick the landing and it started to hobby horse bounce and threw me over the bars. Felt the helmet squeeze sideways on my noggin as the wheeler planted itself on my head. That was a good learning experience.

That was the only motorized wheeled thing I rode as a kid, and ever since, a 4-wheeler doesn't feel right. With the 3 wheeler, your limitations on slopes and turns are clearly communicated to you by the machine...much less so on 4 wheels.
Posted By: deflave Re: Death of the 3-Wheelers - 04/15/19
My first machine was a KX60.

So I thought anything with more than two-wheels was pretty stupid. Grin...
Posted By: satx78247 Re: Death of the 3-Wheelers - 04/16/19
irfubar,

Oddly enough, IF you aren't a moron & try to run one FAR faster than "a reasonably normal IQ" would suggest, the Honda 250 is NICE & you wouldn't believe some of the things that we towed around the farm with it.

Ours pulled many a load of livestock feed all over the place, as well as loads of lumber, fencing material, bales of hay, deer stands & other BIG/bulky things.

yours, tex
Posted By: TheKid Re: Death of the 3-Wheelers - 04/16/19
Tex I feel that you may be confusing a regular old 4 stroke ATC250, or a BigRed with the 250 that Irfubar is describing. The 250r was a two stroke sport bike that was built and bred to go really fast, maybe the original suicide machine. Nobody pokes around and checks fence on an R, they’re geared and tuned to rip it up on motocross trails and in the dunes.
Posted By: lastround Re: Death of the 3-Wheelers - 04/16/19
I’m a 4-wheeler guy. A puzzy if you prefer!
Posted By: deflave Re: Death of the 3-Wheelers - 04/16/19
Originally Posted by satx78247
irfubar,

Oddly enough, IF you aren't a moron & try to run one FAR faster than "a reasonably normal IQ" would suggest, the Honda 250 is NICE & you wouldn't believe some of the things that we towed around the farm with it.

Ours pulled many a load of livestock feed all over the place, as well as loads of lumber, fencing material, bales of hay, deer stands & other BIG/bulky things.

yours, tex

You should type less and read more.
Posted By: irfubar Re: Death of the 3-Wheelers - 04/16/19
I like the reasonably normal I.Q. part...... good grief what led Tex to believe I possessed such a thing......

My permaboner??? Yes and yes on both.

ROFL
Well, he is fromTexas.
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: Death of the 3-Wheelers - 04/16/19
Cousin and I used to race em like demons out on Uncle's asparagus ranch. Good times. He broke a collar bone and I escaped with only bumps and bruises.

Hunted a lot of pheasants on that ranch on the back of one.
TheKid,

It's been a LONG time ago & you may well be 100% correct. - It was likely a 4-cycle, as you didn't have to mix gas/oil.
Yes, I know that a FEW 2-stroke engines have NOT used gas/oil "mix")

My Uncle Wayne bought it used for "a song" after it was taken away from a teenaged boy by his dad for "acting stupid".

yours, tex
deflave,

TRUE but at least I'm not a Florida cracker.
(Instead, I'm just a NETX Hillbilly, born/raised.)

Btw, To quote my much beloved grandfather: "Never ask a fellow if he's a Texican, as he'll tell you if he is. Otherwise, there's no point in shaming him."

yours, tex
TheKid,

It's been a LONG time ago & you may well be 100% correct. - It was likely a 4-cycle, as you didn't have to mix gas/oil.
Yes, I know that a FEW 2-stroke engines have NOT used gas/oil "mix")

My Uncle Wayne bought it used for "a song" after it was taken away from a teenaged boy by his dad for "acting stupid".

yours, tex

The R stands for "race."

I doubt you were farming on a 250R.
deflave,

Frankly, I cannot imagine anyone of normal IQ racing a 3-wheeler, but that's just me..

yours, tex
Tex, I used to race mine....... although my I.Q. is certainly in question........ smile
deflave,

Frankly, I cannot imagine anyone of normal IQ racing a 3-wheeler, but that's just me..

yours, tex

Were you raised in a cave, or Texas?

Also, all two-strokes use gas/oil mix. But some have oil injection so you don't have to mix the fuel yourself.

Posted By: AkMtnHntr Re: Death of the 3-Wheelers - 04/16/19
Having ridden several versions of 3 wheelers, i'm glad they stopped making them or I probably would have been dead a long time ago. That Honda 250R topped them all.
Posted By: Raeford Re: Death of the 3-Wheelers - 04/16/19
A family here in my little hometown won a $40M award from Honda after one of their chilrens was nearly killed on one.
Not too many years later the family went all to pieces and the attorney went to prison on federal drug charges.
Beer and three wheelers do mix.... ask me how I know...

Apparently, I have defied death many times

Luckily the government is here to save me now.

And I aint leaving the couch..... thank you Stick
Beer and three wheelers do mix.... ask me how I know...

Apparently, I have defied death many times

Luckily the government is here to save me now.

And I aint leaving the couch..... thank you Stick

Let's just put 50mph governors on everything.

And wear helmets to the grocery store.
Posted By: Raeford Re: Death of the 3-Wheelers - 04/16/19
My first machine was a KX60.

So I thought anything with more than two-wheels was pretty stupid. Grin...

Neighbor had a KX??[something], loved smoking his azz on my XR75...
His was pure racing mine was pure stock but as mentioned prior-the rider makes a difference.
And ban those evil assault rifles..... they kill people... even children. you know what they say, if it saves one child's life it's worth it.
Posted By: atvalaska Re: Death of the 3-Wheelers - 04/16/19
3 wheelers wernt chit...till they put reverse on them ! ..my 750 kq is hard to beat....
Posted By: Armednfree Re: Death of the 3-Wheelers - 04/16/19
I had a Big Red. I would let other guys drive it, guys that were used to motorcycles. Always they would try to ride it like a motorcycle, and it would dump them or roll on them. I didn't have that problem. When I went into a fast turn I hooked my knee on the seat and leaned in real low. Keeping the center of gravity as low as possible.
Posted By: rifletom Re: Death of the 3-Wheelers - 04/16/19
These were some pretty good reads. Oh, the memories of chewed legs from those. Fun as hell tho.
Kyhilljack, that avatar of your's is priceless. Friggin' great!
Posted By: AkMtnHntr Re: Death of the 3-Wheelers - 04/16/19
Originally Posted by joken2

Was watching a young fellow practice riding what I assume was a new to him fairly good size 4 wheeler out in a sports field behind work one afternoon. He started off just putt-putting around slowly on the level playing field then after a little while tried driving it down into about a 4' deep ditch and trying to get it to go back up the other side. The other side of the ditch was steeper and he couldn't make it climb all of he way up and out of the ditch so he kept giving it more and more throttle. Last time he tried he fired it up big time and came close to making it out too until it damn near tipped over backwards on top of him. Luckily it went back down right side up. I would imagine several hundred pounds of steel and plastic falling from that high and landing on top of someone probably could be painful at the very least.

Had a buddy roll an 05 Honda Rubicon over on top of himself going down a super steep hill called Monument. He had just converted those crappy front brakes over to disc and never checked to see if they needed adjusting. Going down the hill he built up a little too much speed and hit the front brakes and over she went. Broke a couple of ribs and bruised his heart but he got lucky and survived it.
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Death of the 3-Wheelers - 04/16/19
They made the suckers backwards to begin with.
Posted By: WL205 Re: Death of the 3-Wheelers - 04/17/19
I started on a the little 70cc honda "mini" big red when i was about 6yrs old, and then got a 110cc utility, If I remember correctly they were 79 and 82 models or there bouts. I believe the little 70 had a 3 speed and the 110 was a 4 speed both with auto clutch. The 110 had the hi-lo switch and it was a pullin machine in low gear. Man I miss those.
© 24hourcampfire