Home
Posted By: badger Now what? - 04/19/19
It seems that I’ve run out of things to do to the old car. I guess it’s time to drive it and enjoy it. Goin g to hit a few car shows, and a mountain drive or two with my beloved.

12 years ago I bought this car for $1000.00. It sat under a magnolia tree for 8 or 9 years and was covered in bird crap and black mold. The brakes and clutch were seized and the interior was dried out. Dash was cracked from the sun. This is how it looked after a couple of days of cleaning. Had to spray it with a 50/50 mix of water and bleach to kill the mold and then pressure wash it.
[Linked Image]

Fast forward to yesterday. Lots of time and money spent, complete refresh, mechanical and cosmetic, and some coin spent on engine upgrades, and this is how she looks.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Oh, and 313hp to the wheels in a 3300lb car feels pretty snappy too.......
Posted By: websterparish47 Re: Now what? - 04/19/19
A beauty.
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Now what? - 04/19/19
Sure is.
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: Now what? - 04/19/19
Beautiful, not surprised at all that it turned out that way.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Now what? - 04/19/19
Alan, tell me again what engine is in that beauty.
Posted By: badger Re: Now what? - 04/19/19
Originally Posted by Mannlicher

Sam, it is a twin cam in-line 6. Stroked to 3.6L. Quite a few “improvements” made including a stand alone Megasquirt MS3 Pro engine management system.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Now what? - 04/19/19
thanks. I know you have mentioned that before, but you know how old guys are with memory. lol
Posted By: efw Re: Now what? - 04/19/19
Beautiful car nice work I hope you have some good times rolling in it I’d love a ride like that.
Posted By: Redneck Re: Now what? - 04/19/19
Very nicely done... Congrats!!
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: Now what? - 04/19/19
Its time to drive it and enjoy the fruits of your labor.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Now what? - 04/19/19
What else to do with it? Remove the tags and slip another wreck between them. Then keep working and drive this one to death in your spare time. GOOD looking car.
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: Now what? - 04/19/19
Nice. Congrats.
Posted By: dye7barrel Re: Now what? - 04/19/19
Looks fun!
Posted By: Ghostinthemachine Re: Now what? - 04/19/19
That is a gorgeous car. Classy ride..
The fun department:

[Linked Image]
Posted By: 340boy Re: Now what? - 04/19/19
Beautiful Badger. Big M fan here. My dad had an E34 M5. The engine bay in yours reminds me of his?
Posted By: Theeck Re: Now what? - 04/19/19
What year?
Posted By: deltakid Re: Now what? - 04/19/19
Beautiful job. Now get out and enjoy it!
Posted By: travelingman1 Re: Now what? - 04/19/19
Where do you put the baseball bat? You will have to have one to keep the women beat off of you, when they see you driving that~!
Posted By: Sauer200 Re: Now what? - 04/19/19
I'm impressed that the paint buffed up that nice after a decade+ under a tree!
Originally Posted by Sauer200

I was going to ask if it had been repainted. Was the interior replaced as well?
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Now what? - 04/19/19
Nice! I always liked those 635’s! I think that is what they were anyway?

Not that you solicited my opinion, but I kinda like the older wheels better. Beautiful ride, regardless!
Posted By: hatari Re: Now what? - 04/19/19
Originally Posted by badger

Sam, it is a twin cam in-line 6. Stroked to 3.6L. Quite a few “improvements” made including a stand alone Megasquirt MS3 Pro engine management system.

\

Good thing you own the shop!
Posted By: Folically_Challenged Re: Now what? - 04/19/19
Incredible! You, Sir, are a friggin' artist.

FC
Posted By: Rustyzipper Re: Now what? - 04/19/19
That is sooooo sweet. It is similar but different; I want to find a 67 to 69 Ford F250, put a 300 six with enhancements in it. Not for speed but for the mud. Not a lifted, excess rubbered truck. Tall and narrow tires.To look factory on the outside. Had one and sold it for a huge profit years ago. So now I will pay. You sir, are a genius with patience. Thanks for sharing. Be Well. Rusty
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

Wet sanded, buffed and ceramic coated the exterior. Very relieved that there was enough paint on the car to do that. I replaced a couple of leather panels on the driver's seat, and installed a good, used dash. New ones are no longer available. Deep cleaned the carpets and then had my leather guy redye the interior.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Now what? - 04/19/19
Very nice!

Got a radar detector?

Gimme-a-ticket-red! smile

That's sweet!
Did you say that it only weighs 3300 lbs? I wish BMW still made 'em that light. My E60 M5 has a curb weight closer to 4200? I wish there was a (practical) way to shave a few hundred pounds off of her. laugh
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Now what? - 04/19/19
Great job.
Posted By: Sauer200 Re: Now what? - 04/19/19

Wet sanded, buffed and ceramic coated the exterior. Very relieved that there was enough paint on the car to do that. I replaced a couple of leather panels on the driver's seat, and installed a good, used dash. New ones are no longer available. Deep cleaned the carpets and then had my leather guy redye the interior.

Wet sanding is a lot of work but it's worth it especially when
you get results like you did!

Did you apply the ceramic coating yourself?
If so what brand did you use?
Posted By: mtnsnake Re: Now what? - 04/19/19
Twin turbo would be nice.

Turned out nice, the exterior looks fantastic.

Wet sanding is a lot of work but it's worth it especially when
you get results like you did!

Did you apply the ceramic coating yourself?
If so what brand did you use?

I let the Pro’s do the ceramic coat. GTecniq Crystal Serum. It exceeded my expectations.
Posted By: Toddly Re: Now what? - 04/19/19
Love the Imola red and can appreciate all of the work you’ve done to that 6 series. I too can’t believe how well the paint came back, Looks like a proper paint correction! I believe there was a company back in the 90s that fitted a very badass supercharger on to the M Power engines. I can’t imagine needing more than 330 hp on that beautiful car.
Here’s my 20 year old M Coupe. I had the paint corrected on it because it was left in the sun next to a sprinkler. The water spots were etched into the clear coat and glass.
(Edited)
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Toddly
Love the Imola red and can appreciate all of the work you’ve done to that 6 series. I too can’t believe how well the paint came back, did you have a paint correction done. Here’s my 20 year old M Coupe. I had the paint corrected on it because it was left in the sun next to a sprinkler. The water spots were etched into the clear coat and glass.

[Linked Image]

I like the looks of that. It sure doesn't look to be 20 years old. I have never driven an M coupe, but they sound like they are a hoot?
Love the Imola red and can appreciate all of the work you’ve done to that 6 series. I too can’t believe how well the paint came back, Looks like a proper paint correction! I believe there was a company back in the 90s that fitted a very badass supercharger on to the M Power engines. I can’t imagine needing more than 330 hp on that beautiful car.
Here’s my 20 year old M Coupe. I had the paint corrected on it because it was left in the sun next to a sprinkler. The water spots were etched into the clear coat and glass.
(Edited)
[Linked Image]

Those Clown Shoes are a blast smile

Imola is slightly darker than than mine (Cinnabar Red), but it really suits your car.
Posted By: Toddly Re: Now what? - 04/19/19
(Edited)

Those Clown Shoes are a blast smile

Imola is slightly darker than than mine (Cinnabar Red), but it really suits your car.
The clown shoe is just a bit small for me at 6’3” but I just fit. The 635 has always been my favorite bmw to look at, I’ve never had the pleasure of driving one. The power to weight for 1985 made it the king of the road!
313hp and 294 ft/lb to the wheels translates to about 374hp at the crank. These drivetrains run about a 17% power loss, so pushing over 100hp/liter with an old school engine with no variable valve timing or variable intake runners is pretty fair, especially with a "mild" 10:1 compression ratio. Upped the stroke by 2mm, and the difference in low end torque is very noticeable. Quite a few new car drivers have been a little startled by this one..........
© 24hourcampfire