Home
Posted By: dale06 NRA notice of shut down - 05/06/19

Got a request for money from the NRA tdy, in the mail.
Bold letters on the envelope, NOTICE OF SHUTDOWN.
I’ve been a lifer for 30 plus years an bought up to Patron level 8-10 years ago.

I saw the recent comment here and elsewhere about LaPiere and Ollie North.

Any views on contributing to the NRA at this time?
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: NRA notice of shut down - 05/06/19
Originally Posted by dale06

Yes.

I will contribute again when they get rid of WLP.
Posted By: Orion2000 Re: NRA notice of shut down - 05/06/19
Just like diapers, politicians need to be changed on a regular basis, and, for the same reason. No different for the apparatchiks running the large non-profits...
Posted By: JRaw Re: NRA notice of shut down - 05/06/19
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

Yes.

Amen. They need to clean house. Sometimes you just need a fresh start, and all the reports of self-dealing are just too much. I'm not bent out of shape because they didn't fight strongly enough against X or Y, but simply because the current "leadership" has been there too long and likely getting too rich off sweet connections.
Originally Posted by JRaw

Yes.

Amen. They need to clean house. Sometimes you just need a fresh start, and all the reports of self-dealing are just too much. I'm not bent out of shape because they didn't fight strongly enough against X or Y, but simply because the current "leadership" has been there too long and likely getting too rich off sweet connections.

I wouldn't care if he paid a $100 each for gold plated boogers for dinner... As long as he doesn't give ground and does what the membership expects them to do.

But that hasn't been the case. Time for a changing of the guard.
Posted By: TBREW401 Re: NRA notice of shut down - 05/06/19
Sounds like desperation--- send money---

We need to know the true story about the finances--all of the finances!
Posted By: Virginian2 Re: NRA notice of shut down - 05/06/19

Yes.

+1
Originally Posted by TBREW401
Sounds like desperation--- send money---

It has sounded like desperation for more than a year.
Posted By: T_O_M Re: NRA notice of shut down - 05/06/19
I read it, and as I read it, it seems to be a scare tactic to extort increased donations from gullible members. I wadded it up and threw it in the trash. We pay them to do a job. They seemingly assume it's an entitlement, we should pay them more if we really expect them to accomplish anything. Doesn't set well with me when it's welfare recipients and it doesn't set well with me when it is a supposedly pro-gun group.

The notion they should live off of you and me, getting free stuff for doing nothing, reminds me too much of the left. You decide how much you want to contribute. I'll renew next year but that's it.

Tom
Posted By: 700LH Re: NRA notice of shut down - 05/06/19
Ah oh,
no money no NRA,
no NRA no more second amendment

Ads like this are as bad or worse than fake news or do people really believe this hogwash?

[Linked Image]
Pretty telling if they would rather fold up than get rid of WLP...
Posted By: gunswizard Re: NRA notice of shut down - 05/06/19
I gave the NRA all the money I intend to give them when I paid my Life Membership in 1968. WLP should have been dumped long ago, he's an arrogant POS.
Posted By: NoDak Re: NRA notice of shut down - 05/06/19
These folks should have term limits like we would want from our regular government officials (but will never see). Have been Platinum Life member for some time. Some new invigorating blood could do the NRA some good.
Posted By: JackRyan Re: NRA notice of shut down - 05/07/19
Did you vote? Go to the convention?
Posted By: Orion2000 Re: NRA notice of shut down - 05/07/19
Just left a post on their contact page. "No more money for the NRA until Mr. LaPierre has left the building..." Short and sweet.

Let 'em know how you feel: NRA Contact Form
Posted By: 700LH Re: NRA notice of shut down - 05/07/19
Originally Posted by JackRyan

Do the people we vote for represent us voters, or is this just a formality in an attempt to make us all feel better?
Like maybe feeling we are all participating besides just sending them money.
Posted By: watch4bear Re: NRA notice of shut down - 05/07/19
Save your money; buy yourself something nice from amazon.
Posted By: SBTCO Re: NRA notice of shut down - 05/07/19
Originally Posted by 700LH
Ah oh,
no money no NRA,
no NRA no more second amendment

Ads like this are as bad or worse than fake news or do people really believe this hogwash?

[Linked Image]

Ads like this are insulting to American guns owners' intelligence who understand what the Second Amen. stands for, and even more so to the people who have bled and died for the Bill of Rights.
Posted By: JohnnyLoco Re: NRA notice of shut down - 05/07/19
You negative folk better watch-out or these Can’t Cut it Cunnts on here will start calling you ugly names and freeloaders.

Do whats on your heart.
Posted By: djs Re: NRA notice of shut down - 05/07/19
It's been noted that the NRA pays Wayne LaPierre over $1,000,000 per year and is wife has an interest in a PR firm that represents the organization (she also makes a ton of money from the NRA). A number of other NRA execs are also paid very high levels of compensation. This is one reason why the organization is constantly hitting up members for donations.
Posted By: jk16 Re: NRA notice of shut down - 05/07/19
[Linked Image]
Posted By: jaguartx Re: NRA notice of shut down - 05/07/19
No mo doe from me till WLP is history.
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: NRA notice of shut down - 05/07/19
I don't know the facts on what has happened.
Don't fret, let the liberals sort it out for you. Wayne makes too much money anyways grin

30 bucks a year is crazy

https://news.unclesamsmisguidedchildren.com/cory-booker-gun-owners-must-be-federally-licensed
Do the people we vote for represent us voters,

You tell em california grin
Originally Posted by jk16
[Linked Image]

The NRA shoots dogs? frown
Posted By: Hastings Re: NRA notice of shut down - 05/07/19
I am a life member. If I got a ballot for BOD, I never saw it. Does anybody here know how we can start a grass roots movement to put financially responsible serious gun rights people on the board? This forum could probably drum up enough support to drum Wayne out of office. He isn't leaving voluntarily. To you folks still enamored of the NRA as presently constituted, can you please understand the gun ownership fight needs us and this many disgruntled can't all be wrong in our estimation of the malfeasance and misfeasance of the NRA leadership. I am in for the fight, I am not in for throwing money away. I am well acquainted with many NRA members who are not members or even visitors of the CF who would follow my suggestion if we come up with a plan to oust Wayne.
Posted By: ol_mike Re: NRA notice of shut down - 05/07/19
Send a few bucks in for me watch$bear -- ok ?

WLP = greedy POS .
Wayne fugged us and we know it. This isn’t going to end well for the NRA folks in power.
Originally Posted by jaguartx
No mo doe from me till WLP is history.

^^^This^^^
I’ve been a Life Member for several years now. They call the house every day between 8:00 and 8:30, a.m. They have added calls throughout the day, as well. They must be desperate for cash. It is hard to trust any organization these days. Corruption seems to be everywhere. I can’t help feeling that our money has been squandered to some degree. This tie in with the marketing company has me smelling a rat. I believe I’ll donate again when there is a transparent bid system for the marketing contract. That may never happen.
Send a few bucks in for me watch$bear

No. I'd rather laugh at you when you cry about gun control grin Enjoy it.
I am a Life Member, but haven't had solicitations for over a decade. All you have to do is call the NRA and tell them you want solicitations to stop and they will stop. I see this posted over and over again, but you can tell them to stop soliciting. I still get alerts via email from the NRA-ILA and the monthly journal. That's it.
Posted By: szihn Re: NRA notice of shut down - 05/07/19
The poster says
"The 2nd Amendment can;'t survive without the NRA----------"

Absolutely a lie!

The 2nd amendment and the whole Bill of Rights can't survive without courage and willingness of American patriots to use their guns to protect it.
The 2nd Amendment does NOT protect your guns.
Your guns protect the 2nd Amendment and the bill of Rights!

The NRA has a long history of compromise ----------- and stabbing Americans in the back.

Giving them money is not going to help them do anything more then give away more of our liberties unless WLP is GONE ----- and even then it may be too late to avoid another civil war.
but haven't had solicitations for over a decade

nor have I. Not a call or mail.
Posted By: SBTCO Re: NRA notice of shut down - 05/07/19
From WIkipedia:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wayne_LaPierre

"Since 1991, he has served as Executive Vice President and Chief Executive of the National Rifle Association (NRA), the largest gun rights and small arms industry advocacy organization in the United States.[11] LaPierre joined the NRA in 1977 after working as a legislative aide to Democratic Virginia delegate and gun rights advocate Vic Thomas.[12]

In 2014, NRA contributions totaled $103 million and LaPierre's compensation was $985,885.[13] In 2015, NRA contributions totaled $95 million. In that year, LaPierre received a $3.7 million deferred compensation distribution from his "employee funded deferred compensation plan", which was required by federal law, and according to the NRA raised his total annual compensation to $5,110,985.[13]
He can't be bought grin
id vote to stop sending all that damn mail to existing members asking for more.
Posted By: Tarquin Re: NRA notice of shut down - 05/07/19
WLP earns over a million a year with incredible perks on top of that. Others are also waaaay over-compensated. I'm through giving till they stop the exorbitant compensation.
Posted By: Clarkm Re: NRA notice of shut down - 05/07/19
Originally Posted by djs
It's been noted that the NRA pays Wayne LaPierre over $1,000,000 per year and is wife has an interest in a PR firm that represents the organization (she also makes a ton of money from the NRA). A number of other NRA execs are also paid very high levels of compensation. This is one reason why the organization is constantly hitting up members for donations.

Where I hunt, that would be a lot of money. Where I live that is no big deal, and I am in Seattle, not DC.
It is true I don't know anyone around here with a job that pays $1M/year, but it is common for self employed attorneys and small biz owners I know.
Posted By: moosemike Re: NRA notice of shut down - 05/07/19
Why is WLP a bad guy? Just because Ollie North said so?
Posted By: RiverRider Re: NRA notice of shut down - 05/07/19

Do the people we vote for represent us voters, or is this just a formality in an attempt to make us all feel better?

Read the by-laws and get a handle on how the BoD controls who is on the BoD. That's how the nominating committee maintains its deathgrip on the entire organization.
Posted By: hanco Re: NRA notice of shut down - 05/07/19
I got it too, ain’t sending anything.
Posted By: kellory Re: NRA notice of shut down - 05/07/19
Funny, I regularly get blasted for refusing to send them money, because I'm sick of the waste of my money and the constant begging for more.
Now it seems to be a trend to refuse them more money. I guess I'm a trend setter. wink
Posted By: IndyCA35 Re: NRA notice of shut down - 05/07/19
If the NRA gets squeezed, we all get squeezed. We lose. The sharks are in the water and smell blood. New York is already going after the NRA's tax exempt status. All of the Democrat candidates are on record as opposing the NRA. If it tips to the point that some Republicans are, we will have lost.

I don't agree with those whiny twerps who complain about NRA junk mail. But serious charges, or innuendos, have been brought against the NRA leadership. They, or WLP, need to answer them, and quickly. If they can't, or don't, they need to step down.

Whatever, something needs to be done soon.

IndyCA35
Benefactor Member
National Rifle Association of Amrerica
Posted By: Redneck Re: NRA notice of shut down - 05/07/19
Originally Posted by T_O_M
I read it, and as I read it, it seems to be a scare tactic to extort increased donations from gullible members. I wadded it up and threw it in the trash. We pay them to do a job.
Tom
Exactly what it is... I tossed ours too.. At the convention, there's a table out front with the year's accounting report. It's very detailed - and prepared by the accounting firm RSM. My son worked for that company for two years before switching to CLA.. Bottom line from what I read in the report, that there's a negative $800K from the previous year.. However, when compared to total operating income/expenses etc., it's a drop of about .4% (IIRC).

I do agree that several heads at the top need to go.. LaPierre's one, but Cox is the other... I won't give 'em another dime until at least Cox is gone first..
Posted By: cisco1 Re: NRA notice of shut down - 05/07/19

The left loves you back peddling gun owning NRA haters.

Good job !
Originally Posted by moosemike
No, that was just two co-conspirators fighting over the loot. We would do well to be rid of both.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: NRA notice of shut down - 05/07/19
Originally Posted by RiverRider

Read the by-laws and get a handle on how the BoD controls who is on the BoD. That's how the nominating committee maintains its deathgrip on the entire organization.

That's exactly right.

It's the way a lot of board of directors roll.
Originally Posted by cisco1

The left loves you back peddling gun owning NRA haters.

Good job !

Interesting term, "back peddling" is.

Kinda like when an organization back peddles and gets behind any measure of gun control... right?
Posted By: fishdog52 Re: NRA notice of shut down - 05/07/19
Originally Posted by moosemike

I am looking for some transparency. The NRA used to publish a summary of their financial picture every year. Get back to it.
Further, I wonder if the NRA BOD has the authority to hire, fire, and set policy. Many non profits have boards with advisory capacity only.
Way to many board members to be any sort of effective. Dozen, or less ought to do it.
Posted By: BobMt Re: NRA notice of shut down - 05/07/19
Originally Posted by watch4bear

me either....I think most people that say the nra calls them continually are full of it....bob
Originally Posted by BobMt

me either....I think most people that say the nra calls them continually are full of it....bob

LOL.

My phone records indicate otherwise. Usually 4-5 times per week, for the past several months.

Why would I lie about that?
Posted By: kellory Re: NRA notice of shut down - 05/07/19

LOL.

My phone records indicate otherwise. Usually 4-5 times per week, for the past several months.

I do not get called much, but I do get enough junk mail every year to wallpaper a room.
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: NRA notice of shut down - 05/07/19
WLP is nothing more than a TV preacher.
Posted By: BobMt Re: NRA notice of shut down - 05/07/19

LOL.

rockin….you don't strike me as the lying type.....that's why I said most......you know the ones that bitch about any and everything nra..

junk mail ..I get some.....for those that complain, just throw it away...…..bob
Bob, I believe I had requested they spend money they would by sending me free gifts and junk mail on better things.

Perhaps that's why I get less mail, and more calls?
I switched my support to GOA after the NRA betrayed gun owners on first bump stocks, then Red Flag laws. When they called for my renewal, I told them why I had switched my support to the GOA. The lady gave me the impression she’d been hearing that a lot.
Originally Posted by TBREW401

No you don't.....just send money....lotsa money.....then send more when they call....your right to keep and bear arms DEPENDS on it...
Originally Posted by Reloder28
WLP is nothing more than a TV preacher.

And when he's replaced, he'll be replaced by another preacher....what the NRA needs as its CEO is somebody like Trump.....a wealthy individual (volunteer) who cherishes his/her 2nd amendment rights , and has the balls/intelligence to trim the dead meat....
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
I switched my support to GOA after the NRA betrayed gun owners on first bump stocks, then Red Flag laws. When they called for my renewal, I told them why I had switched my support to the GOA. The lady gave me the impression she’d been hearing that a lot.

GOA hasn't the political clout that the NRA has, and it never will.
They have been calling me through some paid solicitor. As soon as I hear that I hang up. I have to answer unknown numbers to me at times because of what I do at my work, that is the only reason I even answer then. Funny how the number is being changed can coming up looking different on my caller id to.

Every single weekday around 8:30 a.m. We get calls on most Saturdays too. It has become a family joke at this point.
Posted By: curdog4570 Re: NRA notice of shut down - 05/07/19
Originally Posted by shootbrownelk

You are correct..... and THAT is why I quit the NRA in favor of GOA.

The NRA has survived and grown by convincing gun owners that Politicians are the ones who determine our fate as far as gun rights.So, what money is left ,after the Officials rake off all they want, is given as campaign contributions to Politicians.

Meanwhile, the real battles are being fought in the Courts...not in Congress.

You can make a weak case that pro gun Senators can vote for Judges who are gun friendly, but consider that “our “ biggest victories came during Obama’s Administration, and the NRA was late to the party re Heller and McDonald rulings. GOA had already done the heavy lifting.Besides, that argument gets silly when you consider that the NRA backed Harry Reid.

We need to be paying Lawyers not wishy washy Politicians. That’s what GOA does. In fact, they need donations RIGHT NOW to appeal a lower court conviction of a Veteran who bought a suppressor which was legal under Kansas law. A victory could bring ALL federal gun laws into question.
Posted By: UPhiker Re: NRA notice of shut down - 05/07/19

With that attitude, they never will. The status quo will remain as long as people sit on their asses and don't vote with their money.
Originally Posted by curdog4570
Meanwhile, the real battles are being fought in the Courts...not in Congress.

The battle front is both congress and the courts.

If sorry assed politicians were not passing gun control laws, there would be no need to take the fight to the courts.

Sometimes an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
Originally Posted by UPhiker

With that attitude, they never will. The status quo will remain as long as people sit on their asses and don't vote with their money.

This.
Posted By: Clarkm Re: NRA notice of shut down - 05/07/19
Amazon, where I am about to order more gardening gear, wants me to list a non profit that benefits from each of my purchases.

I have listed the NRA as my charity.

If anyone can convince me of a better charity for my account I can change it.

Generated by you
$66.31
as of May 05, 2019

The NRA Foundation, Inc. Change
Mission: The NRA Foundation, Inc. is a 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization that raises tax-deductible contributions in support of a wide range of firearm-related public interest activities of the National Rifle Association of America and other organizations that defend and foster the Second Amendment rights of all law-abiding Americans. These activities are designed to promote firearms and hunting safety, to enhance marksmanship skills of those participating in the shooting sports, and to educate the…
Programs: Second Amendment Related Programs
Posted By: Llama_Bob Re: NRA notice of shut down - 05/07/19
The NRA worked it's ass off to deliver concealed carry across nearly the entire country, the end of the AWB, Trump's election, etc. and now a bunch of ungrateful [bleep] are complaining because they've got it too good and can't take it. Par for the course.

Consider where you would be without the NRA.
Posted By: RiverRider Re: NRA notice of shut down - 05/07/19

Says NRA.
Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
The NRA worked it's ass off to deliver concealed carry across nearly the entire country, the end of the AWB, Trump's election, etc. and now a bunch of ungrateful [bleep] are complaining because they've got it too good and can't take it. Par for the course.

Geez, I always thought that us voters did most of that. Remember all the congresscritters that got voted out of office after they voted for the AWB?
Posted By: curdog4570 Re: NRA notice of shut down - 05/07/19

Concealed Carry is a State issue...credit the State organizations with THAT.

The AWB went away because of a sunset provision.

Trumps election...? He wants Red Flag Laws nationwide and remember....Obama’s BATF concluded that bump stocks were legal.

Trumps BATF is outlawing them.

If yo are going to defend an organization, it’s more effective to rely on the Truth rather than the Talking Points you are fed by the organization.
Posted By: Llama_Bob Re: NRA notice of shut down - 05/07/19
Originally Posted by UPhiker

Geez, I always thought that us voters did most of that. Remember all the congresscritters that got voted out of office after they voted for the AWB?

And if you paid attention, the NRA organizaed the campaigns against them.

The NRA is the ONLY gun organization in the country that has the horsepower to affect the outcome of races for national level office. That's a fact. The Dems would like nothing more than to be going up against the GOA with is nominal 2 million members (they lie) and whopping $2million/year budget (fear that massive $1/member per year budget) rather than the NRA with it's $450 million/year budget and 5 million real members.

Ask anyone in DC and they will tell you the NRA is one of the top 2-3 most effective lobbying orgs. Give that up and our gun rights are [bleep]. You clowns are playing the democrats game and they are laughing at how gullible you are.
Posted By: Paddler Re: NRA notice of shut down - 05/07/19
I think all you guys should send all your savings to the NRA. More than a few of you have made donations in my name. Please send more, I want to be a Life Member. Maybe I'll get a meet and greet with Maria, or Torshin, or maybe even Vlade. That would be soooo cool.
One thing you can say about the NRA is that they have never compromised. They just give stuff up without asking for anything in return. (laughing) I would have given up bumpfire stocks for national reciprocity. I wouldn't have liked it, but it would have benefited a lot more people.

Again for those with short memories

[Linked Image]
Wayne needs to go.
I've not seen him or Chris Cox on TV for a long time, just Dana and Colion, who are fine. But NRA tells its members nothing in the magazine, just the vaguest, hypiest stuff about the boogeymen. I'm sick of being treated like a sixth-grader.
NRA needs HIGH PROFILE, ARTICULATE, HARD LINE LEADERS. WLP is past his sell date. Out of five million of us, there HAS to be someone better, more charismatic, and more dedicated.
For those with short pekkers grin

https://www.factcheck.org/2013/04/biden-revises-nra-history-on-background-checks/

Again for those with short memories

[Linked Image]

Scumbag! mad
Again for those that forget how the NRA protects your 2nd amendment rights

You could've just sent that to yourself.
NRA's Wayne LaPierre on the bump stock issue..

The NRA worked it's ass off to deliver concealed carry across nearly the entire country, the end of the AWB, Trump's election, etc. and now a bunch of ungrateful [bleep] are complaining because they've got it too good and can't take it. Par for the course.Consider where you would be without the NRA.
There he goes again

I'll consider it finished when we have ALL of our 2nd Amendment rights intact and restored.

You don't get there by giving ground to the opposition.

Period.
I'll consider it finished when we have ALL of our 2nd Amendment rights intact and restored.

You don't get there by giving ground to the opposition.

Period.

the drama grin grin grin
Posted By: Shag Re: NRA notice of shut down - 05/08/19
GOA
Posted By: cas6969 Re: NRA notice of shut down - 05/08/19
Maybe they shouldn't have gone with the discount Life memberships? People who used to pay yearly, paid once and thought "Yippie, never again!"
Posted By: JackRyan Re: NRA notice of shut down - 05/08/19

If you are or ever were a voting member you would know the answer to these kind of questions.
Posted By: JackRyan Re: NRA notice of shut down - 05/08/19
Life memberships have been an option for decades and decades. If you were member for any length of time you would know these kinds of things.

The thing that has changed is a bunch of kids who think they know everything and are easily suckered by the shills from the anti gun crowd are rapidly increasing in number, and experienced membership who "do work" and know what they are talking about are shrinking in number.
Posted By: gonehuntin Re: NRA notice of shut down - 05/08/19
Originally Posted by Paddler
I think all you guys should send all your savings to the NRA. More than a few of you have made donations in my name. Please send more, I want to be a Life Member. Maybe I'll get a meet and greet with Maria, or Torshin, or maybe even Vlade. That would be soooo cool.

^^OK, this post was made by a millennial hipster f)ag.
© 24hourcampfire