Home
Posted By: Salmonella Your Job. - 05/11/19
After 40 years of retail butchering I retired a year and a half ago.
I live next door to a big dude ranch and decided to fill some of my free time guiding trail rides on horseback.
Sometimes I have to slap myself and realize someone is paying me to have this much fun.
Do some of you love what you do for work?

[Linked Image]
Posted By: elkhuntinguide Re: Your Job. - 05/11/19
If you love what you do for a living you’ll never work a day in your life...
Posted By: reivertom Re: Your Job. - 05/11/19
Originally Posted by Salmonella
I live next door to a big dude ranch and decided to fill some of my free time guiding trail rides on horseback.
Sometimes I have to slap myself and realize someone is paying me to have this much fun.

[Linked Image]

I hate a #%*$@ show off..... :^)
Posted By: Bristoe Re: Your Job. - 05/11/19
I seem to recall having a job,...but the memory is starting to get foggy. I had many for a long, long time. But I stopped going to them. I don't have one any longer.

My wife has two, however. So it works out.
Posted By: dale06 Re: Your Job. - 05/11/19
Worked 39 years for same corporation. Started close to bottom and worked up to executive management. There were good times and some not so good, but the good far out weighed the not so good.
It was a very good job.
Posted By: EdM Re: Your Job. - 05/11/19
Now retired for 3+ years I did thoroughly enjoy my job.
Posted By: Blackheart Re: Your Job. - 05/12/19
I'm burned out on work period. Been doing it for 40 years and that's enough. Would like to get up every morning and do exactly what I want to do all day and nothing else.
Posted By: gunswizard Re: Your Job. - 05/12/19
Been retired for 6+ years now, best job I ever had. The thing I like best is not having to mess with rush hour traffic. I go where I want when I want on my schedule, hunt, fish, shoot and otherwise enjoy life.
Posted By: Hubert Re: Your Job. - 05/12/19
I am retired for 20 years.. never had a job I liked.. but did the military for 20 years. then worked as a mechanic for another 20 years and am now completely retired.. not what I expected it to be.
Posted By: jackmountain Re: Your Job. - 05/12/19
Can't imagine retiring. Too fun to be in the thick of it. Probably cut back to 40 a week when I hit 70.
Posted By: Westman Re: Your Job. - 05/12/19
Originally Posted by Blackheart
I'm burned out on work period. Been doing it for 40 years and that's enough. Would like to get up every morning and do exactly what I want to do all day and nothing else.

I spent 34 years in the oil business as a trader, futures and large pipeline shipments. I got to that point of total burnout and retired two years ago. Now for some reason I felt like I still had more to do so I bought a small wholesale manufacturing business. Right back into it and it feels great!
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Your Job. - 05/12/19
I don't really have a "job" per se, I own interest in a few different companies though, and consult part time. I don't see myself sitting around doing nothing.
Posted By: Hogwild7 Re: Your Job. - 05/12/19
I have been working offshore oil and gas production 37 years. Still have at least 5 years to work. It has been good. Half the year off to hunt and fish. Good salary and benefits for a blue collar job. Been with 3 different companies on the same properties. I have practiced being retired my whole life on my days off. I look forward to not going back. But I don't hate it when I am at work.
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Your Job. - 05/12/19
Feeding cattle everyday since early November starts to wear on a guy. And calving is always a hoot.

That and never really getting caught up with maintenance type stuff and always behind with stuff that NEEDS to get done....

Driving me fuucking crazy and I'm not kidding.

Whine over.
Posted By: smithrjd Re: Your Job. - 05/12/19
About a year to retire, love my job, but getting tired of the travel. DOD for AFN if folks know what that is. Largest TV Network in the world. You can get AFN anywhere in the world, I know I have been there. Antarctica to Navy ships at sea. 20 years in the Navy now almost 20 more. The remote places are the best, the troops really appreciate getting state side TV. At 64 not liking the GP mediums and a mummy bag much anymore.
Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: Your Job. - 05/12/19
Originally Posted by Hogwild7
I have been working offshore oil and gas production 37 years. Still have at least 5 years to work. It has been good. Half the year off to hunt and fish. Good salary and benefits for a blue collar job. Been with 3 different companies on the same properties. I have practiced being retired my whole life on my days off. I look forward to not going back. But I don't hate it when I am at work.

Worked on the drilling side. Was always envious of production. When “manupnumatic” Valves popped off and platform was shut in for nipple up/ down & testing for 12 hrs.
Posted By: Pharmseller Re: Your Job. - 05/12/19
I sell drugs. It’s a living.

P
Posted By: slumlord Re: Your Job. - 05/12/19
No more random drug tests, for me.
Posted By: Tom264 Re: Your Job. - 05/12/19
Gigalo.
Posted By: ltppowell Re: Your Job. - 05/12/19
I was a cop in the ghetto for 33 years. Loved 25 years of it. Who gets paid to hunt people? Got stuck in administration for 8 years and told myself..." I gotta work, but I ain't gotta work here."

Now I sell happiness....taking old guys (like me) fishing. It's got it's own stresses, but the customer's are great.
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Feeding cattle everyday since early November starts to wear on a guy. And calving is always a hoot.

That and never really getting caught up with maintenance type stuff and always behind with stuff that NEEDS to get done....

Driving me fuucking crazy and I'm not kidding.

Whine over.

Sam O, the only thing worse than stressing about too much work is stressing about no work to do. In construction, there's nothing worse than not having the next foundation in front of you.

Edit to add....
At least in farming if a cow gives you any [bleep] you can shoot it. Try doing that with a carpenter
Posted By: Beansnbacon33 Re: Your Job. - 05/12/19
I make cool stuff and sell it, and I care for my 2 year old daughter at the same time. Instead of talk radio or music while I work, it's Disney or educational little kids shows. I feel lucky.
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: Your Job. - 05/12/19
Quit telling pilots where to go in '03, but figured out how to stay busy anyway.
JM, I hear you man, worked commercial and residential flatwork for about 7 years, right up until the 2008 meltdown.

Stayed with the same company the entire time and had almost tripled my wage when it went to hell.
(started LOW so the $ wasn't anything amazing)

But it was a party time in Bozeman, MT.

And I guess it is booming even more now.

Posted By: Reloder28 Re: Your Job. - 05/12/19
Originally Posted by elkhuntinguide
If you love what you do for a living you’ll never work a day in your life...

Well then, Ive been on slave labor for the last 40 years. Once I retire next year I may actually have an opportunity to enjoy my life.
Posted By: Bluedreaux Re: Your Job. - 05/12/19
At this very moment I'm doing exactly what I've always wanted and what I'm perfectly suited for. There's not a job on Earth I'd rather be doing.

It'll last four more years and then be downhill from there.
At this very moment I'm drinking beer.
JM, I hear you man, worked commercial and residential flatwork for about 7 years, right up until the 2008 meltdown.

Stayed with the same company the entire time and had almost tripled my wage when it went to hell.

In my AO it's almost as bad as '06/'07. Maybe worse because the recession destroyed the labor force. Im gonna force myself to learn Spanish this year. White people suck, at least the ones under 30.

At 5:00 I was drinking beer and grilling bratwurst, at this very moment, I'm drinking rum. In large quantities. You're 3 hours behind EST so I'll give you a pass.
Posted By: WTF Re: Your Job. - 05/12/19

Originally Posted by gunswizard
Been retired for 6+ years now, best job I ever had. The thing I like best is not having to mess with rush hour traffic. I go where I want when I want on my schedule, hunt, fish, shoot and otherwise enjoy life.

Yep, now every day is a Saturday
Posted By: stevelyn Re: Your Job. - 05/12/19
I'm tired of dealing with other people's problems and having to work within rules that the other side doesn't have to comply with.

I envy Judge Dredd.
Originally Posted by jackmountain

At 5:00 I was drinking beer and grilling bratwurst, at this very moment, I'm drinking rum. In large quantities. You're 3 hours behind EST so I'll give you a pass.

Thanks bro...grin

Notice how ol' Sal picked out the best horse...

Lemme guess, names Buck?
Rush hour traffic is not an issue. A dually utility truck with a dented hood and an overly aggressive driver...traffic splits like the red Sea for Moses.
Posted By: vapodog Re: Your Job. - 05/12/19
I'm retired and loving it.....I spend my time building guns....making such things as hydraulic stuff.and woodworking projects.....I built my own house, garage, and shop and owe nothing to no one.....I'm free at last!!!!!
Posted By: TheKid Re: Your Job. - 05/12/19
Gunsmithing was fun for a while, 12 years later I was glad to be out. Not much money and everyone needs everything done yesterday.

Tried guiding hunters a little, didn’t take long to tire of mostly overweight, out of shape rich guys who talk big but can’t keep up, be quiet, or shoot worth a damn. Not all of them were like that but plenty.

Did some welding and heavy fab for a while and welded in the oil patch some too. I enjoy the heck out of it and I can lay down a pretty bead with about 4 different processes and got to where I could run a torch like a laser. But it’s a damn tough way to make a living and will make an old man of you right quick.

I work maintenance for an electrical COOP now. Best job I’ve ever been blessed with the opportunity to have. Make an unbelievable amount of money to me, for what I actually do. Most stuff is gravy train easy and if you don’t get to it today it’ll be there tomorrow and nobody worries too much about it. Gave me a brand new work truck and a killer boot and clothing allowance, plenty of vacation and killer benefits too. I think I’ll stay a while
As long as Trump takes 2020 I'll be set. Democrats win? It's anybody's guess

In my AO it's almost as bad as '06/'07. Maybe worse because the recession destroyed the labor force. Im gonna force myself to learn Spanish this year. White people suck, at least the ones under 30.

Jack - nothing against you.

How’s the pay?

I see it in metal fab. They hire $15 hr welders and expect $30 hr product.
Posted By: Salmonella Re: Your Job. - 05/12/19

Thanks bro...grin

Notice how ol' Sal picked out the best horse...

Lemme guess, names Buck?

There's other horses I like better, but this one leads better.
His name is Tiger, just a solid horse and big enough to cart my carcass up the hills...😁
Originally Posted by TheKid
Gunsmithing was fun for a while, 12 years later I was glad to be out. Not much money and everyone needs everything done yesterday.

Tried guiding hunters a little, didn’t take long to tire of mostly overweight, out of shape rich guys who talk big but can’t keep up, be quiet, or shoot worth a damn. Not all of them were like that but plenty.

Did some welding and heavy fab for a while and welded in the oil patch some too. I enjoy the heck out of it and I can lay down a pretty bead with about 4 different processes and got to where I could run a torch like a laser. But it’s a damn tough way to make a living and will make an old man of you right quick.

I work maintenance for an electrical COOP now. Best job I’ve ever been blessed with the opportunity to have. Make an unbelievable amount of money to me, for what I actually do. Most stuff is gravy train easy and if you don’t get to it today it’ll be there tomorrow and nobody worries too much about it. Gave me a brand new work truck and a killer boot and clothing allowance, plenty of vacation and killer benefits too. I think I’ll stay a while

Living the dream Kid!
Posted By: EdM Re: Your Job. - 05/12/19
Sam,

May be too personal so I understand a no reply but do you see following your Father's path?
Posted By: Chumleyhunts Re: Your Job. - 05/12/19
ER and Flight Nurse. Love my job most days, but 95% of what we see in the ER isn't emergency, just entitled folks who think we should give them answers to a chronic problem right now. The folks on government assisted insurance are usually the worst. Flying I love every day..... but even some of what we get called for doesn't need any advanced level of care, just that the local EMS folks don't want to drive to the city.....
Originally Posted by BigDave39355

How’s the pay?

$15 is starting pay for a laborer. Good carpenter $20, lead $23-$25 plus benefits like 3 1/2 weeks holiday and vacation, truck and fuel card, 401k with 5% match etc... Pretty good for an area where high school teachers make $35-$40,000/year and the average house is $200,000
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Your Job. - 05/12/19
Originally Posted by EdM
Sam,

May be too personal so I understand a no reply but do you see following your Father's path?

I hope so!

Country needs young folks like Sam.

Brings a tear to an old timer's eye like mine.
Posted By: NVhntr Re: Your Job. - 05/12/19
Coming up on 8 years retired. With the hobbies and the house and two rental properties to keep up I stay as busy as I'd like to be
Sal, a good horse can make a nice day even better.....

Ed, not too personal at all.

Hell, I think about the future all the time.

Answer...

If I had a son(or daughter) that wanted to do it then yes, full steam ahead.

As it sits now my dad is 70 and I am 41. I want to keep the farm going but we either need to hire another worker or downsize.
Posted By: Bobmar Re: Your Job. - 05/12/19
Originally Posted by stevelyn
I'm tired of dealing with other people's problems and having to work within rules that the other side doesn't have to comply with.

Sounds like my job. After working at least full time for the last 41 years, I can see myself retired. My wife wants to work 10 more years. I'd feel guilty sleeping late when she went to work, after the hunting season ended, but I think I could get over it.
Speaking of a tear in your eye....and not from a skunk....

My Job.

Ours is an agriculture based community and grandad, uncle's and cousins farmed/farm presently. Poultry, dairy, beef, cash crop etc... Hats off and a big thanks to everyone who provides for the rest of us.
Originally Posted by BigDave39355

How’s the pay?

$15 is starting pay for a laborer. Good carpenter $20, lead $23-$25 plus benefits like 3 1/2 weeks holiday and vacation, truck and fuel card, 401k with 5% match etc... Pretty good for an area where high school teachers make $35-$40,000/year and the average house is $200,000

That ain’t bad.
Especially the grains and corn used to make beer and bourbon.
Posted By: Morewood Re: Your Job. - 05/12/19
Another concrete rat checking in. But my old career was on the production side, not on the other end of the chute.

I was driving cement mixers while in high school and after 35 plus years in the industry I ended up in corporate sales.

Tough business, not for the faint of heart.
I personally would like to thank potato farmers for making potato chips possible.
Posted By: 340boy Re: Your Job. - 05/12/19
I personally would like to thank potato farmers for making potato chips possible.

And ranchers for making steaks possible😎
Posted By: stevelyn Re: Your Job. - 05/12/19

Originally Posted by Bobmar
Originally Posted by stevelyn

Sounds like my job. After working at least full time for the last 41 years, I can see myself retired. My wife wants to work 10 more years. I'd feel guilty sleeping late when she went to work, after the hunting season ended, but I think I could get over it.

I'm about 2 years and change out from retirement myself. I plan on moving up north and doing a little hobby farming, raising a few bee, making mead, doing a little subsistence moonshining hunting when the freezer is nearing empty and doing some trapping. Maybe even farming out my firearm instructor creds every now and then.

Originally Posted by 340boy

Yup. Thank you all for the steaks and potatoes. Both foods that can be cooked on open fires.
Tim, don't forget about cheese!
Posted By: Stormin_Norman Re: Your Job. - 05/12/19
Originally Posted by 340boy

Don’t forget the hops farmers smile

I grew up cheap farm labor, enjoyed the work but wasn’t rich enough to start on my own. Ended up becoming a computer nerd, and I do a bit of construction on the side to keep from becoming too much of a puzzy, plus I like working. The computer stuff I do is used for research on how to cure you, or research on how to more effectively kill you.
I rather like a corn chip myself.
Posted By: BC30cal Re: Your Job. - 05/12/19
Salmonella;
Good evening to you sir, I will dispense with my usual salutation as I perceive things are well with you - as I trust they are with your family as well.

For work, I've worked in manufacturing for most of my working life, but mostly it was managing people in one form or another. In the past 5 years I've been working for a construction company doing whatever needed to be done from moving materials to managing a boat and RV storage facility they'd purchased and finally doing millwright and mechanic work for the past 6 months.

Honestly I thought I'd most likely work there until I retired in 3 years and a few months, then last week out of the blue another firm in a totally unrelated field contacted me and asked if I'd come aboard and help them build their business, so yesterday I gave my two weeks notice.

Since I've yet to start there, I'm reluctant to describe what I don't know - but I'll do my best to make a positive contribution and hopefully help build something I can look back on favorably.

In the final analysis, more and more I've come to believe that if we've made a positive impact on those around us - if we've made some difference for the better - well then that's not all that bad.

I'm glad to see so many of the members here have done that. Well done to you all.

Thanks for the thread and for the reading tonight sir. All the best to you all as we head into warmer weather.

Dwayne
Good luck Dwayne!
Posted By: hotsoup Re: Your Job. - 05/12/19
i retired from the army in 1996. now i hunt, fish, and preach. absolutely love what i do. God is good.
Posted By: Higginez Re: Your Job. - 05/12/19
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

My Job.

You're a lucky man Jim Conrad. Very cool.
I have a spray service and love what I do.

Sure wouldn't complain about a day off though.
Good thread btw Sal.
Posted By: mtnsnake Re: Your Job. - 05/12/19
Just need some corn and barley. And some water.
Posted By: GreatWaputi Re: Your Job. - 05/12/19
Pays the bills. I show up four days a week and I get a month off a year paid.
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Your Job. - 05/12/19
I have farmed, in one way or another since 1972, and before that I grew up on a farm. In addition to having farmed all that time, I managed to spend 12 years working in a factory, and 31 years working for USPS. These days, I still play famer, looking after about 30 cows and calves, cutting hay, fencing, and anything else that needs doing.

In addition, I grow a large garden, partly for home use, but also to have produce for the granddaughters to sell at the local produce market. I could grow more to sell there is I wanted to work that hard, but there's a lot of work involved in the growing and marketing of produce. I enjoy staying busy, just as long as I'm my own boss, and don't have to punch a clock.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Your Job. - 05/12/19
A gentlemanly farmer is mighty fine by me, I didn't have to talk to my customers in a former job, that was sweet too, I have found much peace having careers not having to deal with people and some's daily barge load of attitude and horsechit, have heard enough stories to keep me away.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Your Job. - 05/12/19
gutted a large walk in shower yesterday going to start rebuilding it today add a bench and put in some nice tile. only going to work till noon going to take my dad out to eat for his 80th birthday today.
Posted By: Pahntr760 Re: Your Job. - 05/12/19
I am eligible to retire from the AF in about 4.5 years...I guess I need to figure out what I want to be when I grow up!
Posted By: gophergunner Re: Your Job. - 05/12/19
I've been in the optical industry for over 30 years now. I enjoy helping people with their vision. I manage a Vision Center for Walmart, and am about about 6 years from retirement. I'll do something when I quit working on glasses. I'd love to just get a little side job working in a bait shop or a gun shop somewhere.
Posted By: kid0917 Re: Your Job. - 05/12/19
Originally Posted by stxhunter
gutted a large walk in shower yesterday going to start rebuilding it today add a bench and put in some nice tile. only going to work till noon going to take my dad out to eat for his 80th birthday today.

Enjoy your time with him, Roger. My Dad passed 26 years ago, I still miss him.
Posted By: travelingman1 Re: Your Job. - 05/12/19
GG, Was offered a job at an amazing gun shop here in town, when I quit work. Pay was not much but flexible hours, discount on guns and you would not believe the quality and quantity of guns them moved through there. Decided I could not afford to work there, as I would buy more than my pay would cover. Manager told me he had several employees that regularly had to give them money when payday rolled around.
Posted By: gregintenn Re: Your Job. - 05/12/19
I've built roads all of my adult life. I plan to retire in about 3 more years. It was fun until I started making a little money at it, and now it sucks. I had thought about opening a shop to make hydraulic hoses and service hydraulic cylinders and pumps, but I noticed a guy down the road just opened his own. I guess I'll come up with something else to do.

I keep trying to buy a couple of decent rent houses close to me, but the prices here are friggin insane right now. I guess I may just build some.
Posted By: jimjr Re: Your Job. - 05/12/19
I’ve been a machinist for 43 years, the last 28 at a medical devise manufacturer. 7 months til retirement. I love being a machinist and making stuff from scratch. As one other said, I’m real tired of going by rules that the other side does not. Tired of people a quarter my age and dumb as a rock telling me how I need to do my job. Will be glad to leave that part.
Posted By: Tarkio Re: Your Job. - 05/12/19
Biggest job is raising kids and trying to make sure they don't become a$$holes as adults.

The kids show livestock in 4H and FFA. They play softball, baseball and the boy wrestles. I hep them as much as I possibly can. Hauling them to practices, to lessons and coaching when I can. Absolutely love seeing them get over hurdles and humps in competitive environments.

To pay for these adventures I work in the cattle industry. It's been good to me and the arena I work in is tapering off. I bought a business last year that's been an adventure. Sort of an equipment rental company. Been a good move financially which is good, because these kids keep getting more and more expensive as they grow older.
Posted By: gophergunner Re: Your Job. - 05/12/19
Originally Posted by travelingman1
GG, Was offered a job at an amazing gun shop here in town, when I quit work. Pay was not much but flexible hours, discount on guns and you would not believe the quality and quantity of guns them moved through there. Decided I could not afford to work there, as I would buy more than my pay would cover. Manager told me he had several employees that regularly had to give them money when payday rolled around.

I used to work in a gun shop when I was younger and had to leave for the same reason. I bought some nice guns at good prices, but I never ended up with enough take home pay after I'd satisfied my "tab."
Posted By: ldholton Re: Your Job. - 05/12/19
Short and simple , Farm ..was born I was born to it. About 30 years ago kinda of by accident /fluke got in involved in heavy equpiment operating. Now 30 years later still think of it as a short term side kick for some extra $$ . I'll probably be found dead in something John Deere or Caterpillar.
Posted By: RoninPhx Re: Your Job. - 05/12/19
i have spent about 50 years in banking and the securities business. Strange coming from a kid that grew up dirt poor and wearing cowboy boots. I have been in all of the various financial centers in the country, and use to visit the world trade center, was in it a number of times.
then the day came when i watched it fall down, knowing a number of people that were in there.

With electronics, i can work if you call it that out of my house. I pitched the three piece suit, got a scraggly beard. I could have quit doing anything in that area years ago really, but i enjoy at some level the things i do.
In that sense, i am not sure if i will ever retire. a laptop and network connection is everything.
Posted By: 79S Re: Your Job. - 05/12/19
U.S Army soon to be 21yrs, will drop my retirement 1 July of this year and this old Soldier will hang up the boots and be officially retired 1 August of 2020 with 22yrs of service.
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: Your Job. - 05/12/19
Salmonella: I did 29 years "on the job" for a large west coast city's police department - I loved the job at first but it turned to political dogschit the last 6 or 8 years.
Once I retired I got talked into doing some lucrative armed private investigator, body guard and robbery suppression work - probably did 400 hours of that a year for the next 20 years or so.
Got paid to travel to some cool places and meet/guard some interesting people.
Was fun and paid for a LOT of guns!
Now I just Hunt, shoot, trade guns and fish all year.
Enjoy your new "work"!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: hanco Re: Your Job. - 05/12/19
Been at the plumbing trade for 48 years, I’ll probably work another 1 1/2 years.
Posted By: 22250rem Re: Your Job. - 05/12/19
For just over 3 years now I refer to myself as a "professional retiree". There's a lot of work to do in my job description. Besides home maintenance and other routine chores there's a lot of hunting, fishing, reloading, and such that needs doing. Not to mention having to put in my time on the rifle range, sporting clays course, pistol range, and my step grand daughters archery league. It's a tough job but somebody's got to do it.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Your Job. - 05/12/19
I've worked construction, farming, logging, many different flavors of 18 wheeling.
Last 16 years has been manufacturing. Easiest, best annual pay, out of the weather,
8 hours and go to the house job ever.

It's ok. I don't hate it, but it's just ok.
I have unbelievable freedom for a blue collar job, never questioned, treated respectfully,
I put more pressure on myself than management does.

Working inside, running the same machine every day, gets old. The only thing that makes it
bearable is the problems that crop up.
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Your Job. - 05/12/19

drove a Brown truck for UPS for 27 years......

retired nearly 8 years ago......do I miss it ?

hell no......turned out to be a great career & retirement

my time now is kept busy with home/property/small farm in Podunk

oh yea...do spend a lot of time out bumming.....as in tomorrow's UTV trip.....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Ranger_Green Re: Your Job. - 05/12/19
21 years US Army (and Guard and Reserve), 19 years law enforcement. I didn't want to be a cop but in the San Francisco Bay Area, they say that they support the troops, but they don't really want to hire any or have them around. After being turned down for jobs the umpteenth time in couple of years, a cute little receptionist hissed sarcastically at me as I left, "All you can do is yell real loud and shoot people. Why don't you become a cop?"

So I did.

I not a good fit for my department or the City but I am grateful I have a job, especially during the last nightmare administration. I hope to do some good before I go.

The more I work in this job, the more I miss the Army.
Posted By: philgood80 Re: Your Job. - 05/12/19
I teach world history (and do my best to teach them how to think, not what to think) but we do have conversations on the “real world.” Things like what is really going on in socialist countries. Is there such a thing as “free anything?” Some of my favorite lessons involve historical lessons on empires that crumbled due to governments that tried to control “the means of production” (late Han China for example) and rampant corruption. It’s fun when they get a kick out of seeing history come full circle. And AOC always gets comedian of the week honors.

I’m also the head track and field coach. It is a stressful spring semester but we just won the first Conference Title for our high school in at least 40 years and maybe as far back as 50 or more. Have all of our boys back for next year so I’m all in for 2020! Assistant football coach as well. Our staff works very hard to teach our young men what it means to be manly (not macho, but a man), and how to be quality fathers and husbands. More than X’s and O’s.

Thankful to live in rural America.

I agree with the sentiment that if you love what you do you’ll never work a day in your life.
Posted By: JPro Re: Your Job. - 05/12/19
I work for myself as a commercial real estate appraiser. Varies from farms to timberland to things like shopping centers or apartments. Sometimes it is some interesting and unique stuff. Always something new to look at and I call my own hours, so I enjoy the flexibility. I tell my kids it's kind of like writing research papers for a living, and I was always good at that in school, so it fits me. I'm sure it's not for everybody. They roll their eyes when I'm always pointing out the truck window and saying "Hey kids, I appraised that.", but I remind them that it puts food in their mouths. grin
Posted By: jdunham Re: Your Job. - 05/13/19
Retired from Law Enforcement after 25 years. 22 years full time with a city Police Department, 3 years part time doing welfare fraud. Loved what I was doing until I got promoted enough to be in upper administrative positions. I became a cop because I can't sit in an office and should have quit taking promotions at Lieutenant. The welfare fraud position was extremely aggravating watching all our tax money that is being thrown out the window and 3 years was more than enough of that. After leaving that I got talked into currently running the regional Law Enforcement Academy on a part time basis. Don't need the job but I am using it to cross off some bucket list items. I have the next 2 years booked up already!
Posted By: Salmonella Re: Your Job. - 05/13/19
Originally Posted by Higbean
Good thread btw Sal.

Thank you.
I apologize for the few times we may have butted heads...you are certainly good people.
I've really enjoyed the responses.
Great guys...we are all on the same side.
Posted By: Higginez Re: Your Job. - 05/13/19
Good thread btw Sal.

Thank you.
I apologize for the few times we may have butted heads...you are certainly good people.

Back at ya Sal.
Posted By: hookeye Re: Your Job. - 05/13/19
Worked as a tech in advanced development lab for major manufacturer.
About 20 yrs.
Good gig, but then 2008 came.

My job now sucks azz in comparison, but pays the bills.
We aint gettin' rich though.

The insurance is decent and I have a kid w some medical stuff yet to be fixed.
So I'm stuck til she gets better.
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Your Job. - 05/13/19
12 hours of fresh air and sunshine today!

Sorting and branding up another semi load and doing some other really fun chit.

Only dropped the F-bomb about 50 times....

Living the 'dream'........grin
Posted By: smarquez Re: Your Job. - 05/13/19
I did until I didn't. When the department started catering to snowflakes it made it harder to be a supervisor. I couldn't simply say NO to some one or stop what they were doing or saying even if I was saving their asses. I'd say the first 25 years were awesome though.

I have two friends with what I think would be dream jobs.
One maintains a huge private collection of classic muscle cars. He used to own a shop, sold that to retire then got this to kill a little time.

Another one works here, helping to restore airplanes. Neither job seems much like going to work.

https://planesoffame.org/
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Your Job. - 05/13/19
Originally Posted by tikkanut
oh yea...do spend a lot of time out bumming.....as in tomorrow's UTV trip.....
[Linked Image]

I'm gonna have to come out there sometime and hangout with you. My luck you'll leave me out in the desert because my wife paid you off.........
Posted By: gophergunner Re: Your Job. - 05/13/19
Originally Posted by 79S
U.S Army soon to be 21yrs, will drop my retirement 1 July of this year and this old Soldier will hang up the boots and be officially retired 1 August of 2020 with 22yrs of service.
Congratulations on such a worthwhile career and thank you for your service.
Posted By: skinner Re: Your Job. - 05/13/19
I put in 30 yrs with MoDot and have been retired 12 yrs. I haven’t been bored one minute. I tell people when your retired you never know where you will be at the end of day!
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Your Job. - 05/13/19

my job today.......hopefully stumble on a few of these guys....

with all the rain we've had....they have plenty of slick rock

pot holes full of water.....amazing critters !

[Linked Image]
Posted By: oldtrapper Re: Your Job. - 05/13/19
Currently bouncing grandkids on my knee and whispering conservative ideas into their ears. ;-{>9
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: Your Job. - 05/13/19

Same here only it's been 50+ years, wasn't all ways bad but in the last 10 years or so all these politically correct a*sholes have moved into management and BHR positions seems their main goal in life is to make things hard for the working guy. After you hit 60 they do their god damndest to push you out. They want your experience and productivity but don't want to pay for it. Want you to think and act like a fuc*ing liberal. Want you to teach younger people with no work ethic how to find their ass with both hands and do a job that is beyond their mindset. I am looking very forward to a day in the next 2 years when I set down my tools, wipe my hard drive and walk out the door with no notice , fuc*'em. MB
Posted By: Quick_Karl Re: Your Job. - 05/13/19
Used to design these before I moved to the trailer-park State of Texass where cheap is king and Walmart is the Neiman Marcus of Texass...

[Linked Image]

Its a 3D model of a home I designed back in civilization. It scares the bejeezus out of Texans - their first impulse is "I can buy a plastic Chinese version at Walmart..."

Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
They want your experience and productivity but don't want to pay for it.

You just described Texass.
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Your Job. - 05/13/19
Originally Posted by Quick_Karl

Maybe you're a piss poor employee and/or your work sucks?

https://www.money-rates.com/research-center/best-states-to-make-a-living/

Top ten states to make a living in 2019

Based on a formula that factors in cost of living, median wages, state taxes, unemployment rates and workplace safety, the following are the ten best states in which to make a living in 2019:
1. Wyoming

With no state income tax, Wyoming's appeal is to help workers hang on to more of their income, and that income goes an especially long way because Wyoming is also one of the ten cheapest states in which to live. Those earnings are pretty strong to begin with -- the state has the 15th highest median income of any state. These advantages help Wyoming overcome its main occupational drawback, which is that the state is the fourth worst for workplace safety.

2. Washington
Despite an end to Washington's two-year reign as the top state in this study, it continues its history of being extraordinarily competitive. Washington has finished either first or second in all nine years this study has been conducted.

3. Texas
A combination of no state income tax and a relatively low cost of living helped Texas repeat last year's strong third-place finish.
Posted By: mjbgalt Re: Your Job. - 05/13/19
Started out managing restaurants until I had my fill of yelling at teenagers and working 70 hour weeks

Went looking for meaningful work and wound up in insurance where i try like hell to give the kind of service i expect to get myself.

Help people make retirement decisions and correctly set up their coverages

Its ok. Its a job. Never made more than about 43k a year and currently less but work 15 min from home.

Would love to do something else but damned if i know what it would be.
Posted By: CowboyTim Re: Your Job. - 05/13/19
I set concrete wall forms for a living. Don't mind the work, like the guys I work with...but I sure wouldn't do it for recreation.
Originally Posted by JGRaider

Based on a formula that factors in cost of living, median wages, state taxes, unemployment rates and workplace safety, the following are the ten best states in which to make a living in 2019:
1. Wyoming

With no state income tax, Wyoming's appeal is to help workers hang on to more of their income, and that income goes an especially long way because Wyoming is also one of the ten cheapest states in which to live. Those earnings are pretty strong to begin with -- the state has the 15th highest median income of any state. These advantages help Wyoming overcome its main occupational drawback, which is that the state is the fourth worst for workplace safety.

2. Washington
Despite an end to Washington's two-year reign as the top state in this study, it continues its history of being extraordinarily competitive. Washington has finished either first or second in all nine years this study has been conducted.

3. Texas
A combination of no state income tax and a relatively low cost of living helped Texas repeat last year's strong third-place finish.

And maybe you're a scumbag. I will out work, out produce, and out last you and anyone you know, dirt bag. You are quoting stats about LIBERAL OWNED CORPORATIONS in Texas you f-ing P.O.S. You stand in front of me and say that, MFer, and you'll be seeing your dentist real quick you miserable old cock sucker. I chit on you.

I was the top guy in every place I worked in my life till I arrived in this chithole - Hawaii, Seattle, Thousand Oaks, Scottsdale, and now doucheville.
Posted By: Tarkio Re: Your Job. - 05/13/19

1. Wyoming

2. Washington

3. Texas

And maybe you're a scumbag. I will out work, out produce, and out last you and anyone you know, dirt bag. You are quoting stats about LIBERAL OWNED CORPORATIONS in Texas you f-ing P.O.S. You stand in front of me and say that, MFer, and you'll be seeing your dentist real quick you miserable old cock sucker. I chit on you.

I was the top guy in every place I worked in my life till I arrived in this chithole - Hawaii, Seattle, Thousand Oaks, Scottsdale, and now doucheville.

If you are as capable as you claim, leave Texas and take your abilities elsewhere???
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: Your Job. - 05/13/19
I have despised my job for the last 32 of my 40 year career. I have one more to go.
Posted By: RyanTX Re: Your Job. - 05/13/19

Being the "top guy" in those liberal crapholes isn't necessarily a standard to aspire to. So, you were top dog there and can't quite make the cut in Texas? Sounds like you need to wash the sand out of your 'gina and move back to the land of fruits and nuts where you were "top guy".
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: Your Job. - 05/13/19
............before I moved to the trailer-park State of Texass where cheap is king and Walmart is the Neiman Marcus of Texass...

That includes roughly 10% of the Texas population, no where near the upper demographic.
Originally Posted by RyanTX

Being the "top guy" in those liberal crapholes isn't necessarily a standard to aspire to. So, you were top dog there and can't quite make the cut in Texas? Sounds like you need to wash the sand out of your 'gina and move back to the land of fruits and nuts where you were "top guy".

Arizona is not a liberal place, douchebag, the other locales were in my youth, and I LEFT them because they ARE liberal chitholes. Like so many [bleep] I've met here, you're a scumbag.
PS. for you douchebags - coincidentally, ALL of those previous Liberal locales - paid me more than the average Wetback rate in this chithole. WAY more.

There are reason I cannot leave - I would HAPPILY drop my drawers and take a big steaming chit on this ass hole (people just like you) State, and leave.
Posted By: JSTUART Re: Your Job. - 05/13/19

Arizona is not a liberal place, douchebag, the other locales were in my youth, and I LEFT them because they ARE liberal chitholes. Like so many [bleep] I've met here, you're a scumbag.

And you are on ignore.
Originally Posted by Reloder28
I have despised my job for the last 32 of my 40 year career. I have one more to go.

If you can do something you despised for that long - I'm speechless!
I'm going to stay here just long enough to vote liberal for your next governor - scumbags!
Posted By: AkMtnHntr Re: Your Job. - 05/13/19
Been doing the same job, both on active duty and now as a civilian, for going on 40 years now, i enjoy it and don't see me retiring any time soon.
Posted By: 700LH Re: Your Job. - 05/13/19
There would have been more money and better benefits and retirement doing something different, but I was able to spend the majority of my time working in the mountains.
Life is short where we spend our time counts a lot, we only get so much of it.

Lunch, Cooler (lunch pail) is in my left hand.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: oldtrapper Re: Your Job. - 05/13/19
PS. for you douchebags - coincidentally, ALL of those previous Liberal locales - paid me more than the average Wetback rate in this chithole. WAY more.

There are reason I cannot leave - I would HAPPILY drop my drawers and take a big steaming chit on this ass hole (people just like you) State, and leave.

I am truly impressed at the rate you are making friends around the fire.

BWahahahahaha
Originally Posted by oldtrapper

BWahahahahaha

I am truly impressed with the level of arrogance and entitlement that exists among the aristocracy in Texass - I've never voted democrat or liberal in my life, but I am going to soon - because I can! Let's see how you guys like the taste of your own medicine.

So, you can't find a job paying you what YOU think you're worth, and it's the fault of the entire state of Texas. Talk about a liberal point of view. one with obvious anger issues. No wonder you can't find a decent job.
Posted By: Hookset Re: Your Job. - 05/13/19
I did 24 years in Uncle Sam's Canoe Club. After retiring from there, I went to work as a project manager doing ship repair on (surprise!) Navy ships. I don't love it, but it pays well, the guys I work with are mostly a good group, and sometimes it feels like I'm still contributing to our defense in some small way, so that's satisfying.

So, you can't find a job paying you what YOU think you're worth, and it's the fault of the entire state of Texas. Talk about a liberal point of view. one with obvious anger issues. No wonder you can't find a decent job.

You know, Tex, you've finally convinced me... I am going to be just like you and I am going to do what is best for myself and to hell with how it affects you or anyone else - I'm going to change my voter registration to Democrat, today.

I will post an image of the document just for you, just as soon as I get it in the mail.

Thanks for the sage advice!
PS. Just got off the phone - TX voter registration does not require a party affiliation (I'm sure it did when I first registered 4-1/2 yrs ago?), however, I swear to you on my very life, I am voting straight democrat next election and every election until I can get myself out of this place.

Thank you, gentlemen, I actually feel much better!

Have a wonderful day!
Whaddaya know...

Not 5-minutes after that last post a project came in, from a LIBERAL interior design firm in Austin that has always paid me very well.

Go f-ing figure.
Sound of crickets chirping...
Damn, you sure showed me. You can't get a salary YOU think you're worth, ALL of Texas is to blame, you're pissed at me for it, so now you're voting democrat. Wow. You really act upon wisdom, long-range planning and rational thought.

Posted By: JGRaider Re: Your Job. - 05/13/19
I think QK is semi retarded, and off his meds. I bet he couldn't swat the flies off his azzz though. Truck drivers who barely pass the DOT requirments and physicals probably make 4x what mighty QK makes.
Posted By: StoneCutter Re: Your Job. - 05/13/19
Damn, this was a pretty good thread up until page 5.
Posted By: Cheesy Re: Your Job. - 05/13/19

I've got the cheese covered, I am an engineer for a cheese company (actually refrigerated dairy now because we make a lot of yogurt and cream cheese as well). I don't mind the weeks where I work a hard 35 hours, its the weeks of 100+ hours during a new plant startup that wear on me after a few months.

Grew up on a dairy farm, so I'm just one step further down the chain.

Keep buying cheeseburgers please.

BWahahahahaha

I am truly impressed with the level of arrogance and entitlement that exists among the aristocracy in Texass - I've never voted democrat or liberal in my life, but I am going to soon - because I can! Let's see how you guys like the taste of your own medicine.
Oh please, you're not fooling anyone here, we all know you're a Democrat so go ahead and vote for Bay-toe, you're still going to lose. Hahahaha.
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr

BWahahahahaha

Oh please, you're not fooling anyone here, we all know you're a Democrat so go ahead and vote for Bay-toe, you're still going to lose. Hahahaha.

Never once voted for a democrat ever in my life - been voting straight GOP ticket since Nixon.

F you.

How's it feel?

BWahahahahaha

Never once voted for a democrat ever in my life - been voting straight GOP ticket since Nixon.

F you.

How's it feel?
How's what feel? And you should think about changing your username (again) because you are far from Quick. lol
Damn, you sure showed me. You can't get a salary YOU think you're worth, ALL of Texas is to blame, you're pissed at me for it, so now you're voting democrat. Wow. You really act upon wisdom, long-range planning and rational thought.

Your own medicine taste great, huh Big Bubba?

Say hello to Beto - hope he taxes the living chit out of you.
Posted By: StoneCutter Re: Your Job. - 05/13/19
Please don't feed the trolls.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by StoneCutter
Please don't feed the trolls.

[Linked Image]

Average Texass cow? She has that Texass look - its the shape of her fat head. I am sure the Texass boys on the thread are all gettin woodies right about now...
Now the grim reaper has me too and I couldn't leave if I wanted to. It's a curse.

Sounds like you lived the life I dreamed of.

Between all of your other crap posts and the one above, I just feel sorry for you. Maybe all of your anger and increased BP will help that grim reaper come sooner and put you out of your misery that you are self-admittedly in.

Hopefully, instead, you will just find some peace in your life before the end.
Now the grim reaper has me too and I couldn't leave if I wanted to. It's a curse.

Sounds like you lived the life I dreamed of.

Between all of your other crap posts and the one above, I just feel sorry for you. Maybe all of your anger and increased BP will help that grim reaper come sooner and put you out of your misery that you are self-admittedly in.

Hopefully, instead, you will just find some peace in your life before the end.

Eat chit dirtbag. Glad you are showing what a "True Texxassan" is all about. Karma will get you, scumbag.
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

My Job.

You're a lucky man Jim Conrad. Very cool.

Indeed.
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Your Job. - 05/14/19

so.......

WTF is this QK guy ?
Posted By: GuideGun Re: Your Job. - 05/14/19
Just starting my professional career really. I graduated last May with a degree in forestry and survey engineering technology. I work as a forester for a midsize logging company in the southern part of Maine. My focus is to procure standing timber from private landowners while meeting client goals and expectations. It has been pretty good to me overall, but not where I see myself long term. I enjoy working in the woods for a living and it keeps me active.
Posted By: Quick_Karl Re: Your Job. - 05/14/19
Originally Posted by tikkanut

so.......

WTF is this QK guy ?

Some guy that doesn't like a-holes no matter where they come from, but, especially if they come from Texass and act like tough guys on internet forums.

He's pretty cool though - to folks that aren't a-holes.
Posted By: kwg020 Re: Your Job. - 05/14/19
32 years an LEO for 2 different departments. 24 years active and National Guard time. I retired from my last LEO job 10 years ago. Worked at a Federal Court House as a security officer and was a police mentor in Afghanistan. I drive cars for a local Chevrolet dealership right now. I went back to school and learned some CNC stuff but never found a job my back could stand. I should just take my Social Security and go fishing but I just am not ready for it. I still want to be connected to the hustle and bustle but I'm not finding it.

kwg
Posted By: Sycamore Re: Your Job. - 05/14/19
Originally Posted by Cheesy

I've got the cheese covered, I am an engineer for a cheese company (actually refrigerated dairy now because we make a lot of yogurt and cream cheese as well). I don't mind the weeks where I work a hard 35 hours, its the weeks of 100+ hours during a new plant startup that wear on me after a few months.

Grew up on a dairy farm, so I'm just one step further down the chain.

Keep buying cheeseburgers please.

I got you covered! haven't eaten a bare hamburger in many years. medium cheddar all the way!
Posted By: Tarkio Re: Your Job. - 05/14/19

You are screaming about how miserable you are and how bad things are.

Get out! If you are truly that miserable, GTFO.

Otherwise, I will say what I say to my kids. Don't like the way things are. Quit you're bitching and do what you can do to change things. If you aren't doing anything to activley change your situation, you have no room to b!tch.
PS. Just got off the phone - TX voter registration does not require a party affiliation (I'm sure it did when I first registered 4-1/2 yrs ago?), however, I swear to you on my very life, I am voting straight democrat next election and every election until I can get myself out of this place.

Thank you, gentlemen, I actually feel much better!

Have a wonderful day!

With this F'd up train of thought, it is no wonder you can't find a decent job.

I am speechless at your misplaced anger. Sounds like you have some personal issues you are projecting on the people of Texas.

Reality is, probably what you are seeing in others there, is actually a reflection of yourself. Look up projection.
Posted By: oldtimer303 Re: Your Job. - 05/14/19

Had three different occupations before I was twenty one years old. Then spent 33 years in law enforcement before retiring nineteen years ago (2000). Self employed for ten years and then took up farming which is something that I have enjoyed the most. Seems its coming to an end as the stamina and legs have caved in the last year. GW
Posted By: 19352012 Re: Your Job. - 05/14/19
I have an awesome job that I love. Low level factory management. The company is great, the guys are great.

Weirdest thing about this thread is that someone who voted for Nixon called someone else old. For perspective, if you voted during a Nixon election, congratulations, you are close to your full retirement age of 66.
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: Your Job. - 05/14/19

[Linked Image]

That is a GREAT pic Sal!
Posted By: Hudge Re: Your Job. - 05/14/19
I retired last summer after 21 years and 2 months in the Air Force. I just knew I would get a job in the business sector since I have a BS in Management, BA in Natural Science, and MBA. Guess what, I couldn't get a job for [bleep] in AK using my business degrees. Ten days before my final out I got offered a contract gig doing exactly what I did in the Air Force, so I took it. I've got 3 more months doing this and I'm back looking for a job. Oh well, that's life and I am sure if I put my nose to the grind a little harder and with more time to dedicate instead of worrying about retirement and such, I'll land a good job. I've had a few offers since December, but they all required uprooting and leaving Alaska.
Posted By: tedthorn Re: Your Job. - 05/14/19
Been a toolmaker since 1988 can't say that I love it but it's been a decent living.

Retirement is something that is talked about but I don't see it happening until my mid 60's
Posted By: lightman Re: Your Job. - 05/14/19
I retired as an electrical Lineman. I loved what I did. Every late night callout was an adventure! I got to play with stuff that can kill you and got paid to ride in a bucket truck! I worked in the rural. Saw Deer, Coyotes, Foxes, Ducks, Eagles, ect every day.
Posted By: Godogs57 Re: Your Job. - 05/14/19
34 years with Uncle Sugar.

I make handmade hunting knives. Been doing it for 38 years...the first 35 as a hobby. Now it’s for real.

Check out my instagram:

https://www.instagram.com/doublehknives/
Posted By: tzone Re: Your Job. - 05/14/19

1. Wyoming

2. Washington

3. Texas

We have a tough guy here...everybody back up. LMFAO

There are reason I cannot leave.

Otherwise known as warrants.
I think QK is semi retarded, and off his meds.

Semi? I think Commie Karl has gone full retard boys. Never go full retard.
Posted By: RickyD Re: Your Job. - 05/14/19

BWahahahahaha

F you.

How's it feel?

If you voted for Nixon (1968), you'd be 70 now and most likely retired, but as it is you're simply a retarded liar.

If you think your "threats" to vote demoncrap have any impact on anyone here, you are very wrong.

The demoncrap party has cut it's own throat. Now, we just have to wait for it to bleed out. Enjoy!
Amazing that Qommie Karl is pretty quiet after being exposed.
Posted By: mudhen Re: Your Job. - 05/15/19
I decided to retire at age 63, but almost immediately started to have consulting contracts thrown my way. I continued to have at least one or two each year--some years three or four. I had one that was renewed every year, for the last 15 years. Nonetheless, I was able to set aside time to do more hunting, some traveling, and a little fishing. I terminated my last contract as of December 31st, 2018, and have no plans to do any more.

I am burned out with writing, and a slow internet connection makes research a royal pain in the ass.
Posted By: tzone Re: Your Job. - 05/15/19
Originally Posted by Tarkio
Amazing that Qommie Karl is pretty quiet after being exposed.

I'm sure he's exposed. Probably got his pecker stickin out as he greets people every morning at Walmart.
Posted By: hanco Re: Your Job. - 05/15/19
I’ll be glad when I have no job!
Posted By: COSteve Re: Your Job. - 05/15/19
After over 40 years in Aerospace, I decided to embark on a new career. For the last 11⅔ years I've been self employed as a 'Gentleman at Leisure'. My principle duties have been to plan for our international 'business' travels which have taken us to 78 countries so far as well as planning and engaging in an in depth 'evaluation' of the leisure and recreation opportunities available in all 50 states. Life is not good, it's great! However, there are some downsides to this new career. I never get a day off, I've never had a vacation from my career, and I'm 'on duty' 24/7. grin
© 24hourcampfire