Home
Posted By: Dave_in_WV Google Chrome is slow - 05/16/19
I upgraded from Windows 7 to 8.1. Now Google Chrome takes a long time to connect to sites. What's the fix?
Posted By: Redneck Re: Google Chrome is slow - 05/16/19
Go back to W-7.... laugh

Somebody here will be along soon - but I'm thinking there's something working in the background that's taking up the speed..
Posted By: kenjs1 Re: Google Chrome is slow - 05/16/19
Dave- try going into settings in Chrome and in the 'System' section - make sure Use hardware acceleration is checked. Then restart Chrome and let me know how it goes.

Chrome does seem to spin up ancillary background services for whatever reason.
Posted By: Raeford Re: Google Chrome is slow - 05/16/19
Do you have a big ol' bunch of personal 'stuff' on the comp?
Google may just be taking their time identifying what info they want to store and sell.
Posted By: persiandog Re: Google Chrome is slow - 05/16/19
Posted By: Swifty52 Re: Google Chrome is slow - 05/16/19
Originally Posted by Dave_in_WV
I upgraded from Windows 7 to 8.1. Now Google Chrome takes a long time to connect to sites. What's the fix?

8.1 is a bigger POS than 10. Go back to 7
Posted By: Dave_in_WV Re: Google Chrome is slow - 05/17/19
Thanks for the input. Still slow. Swifty, I beginning to think you're right about 8.1!
Posted By: Odin1 Re: Google Chrome is slow - 05/17/19
Thanks for the input. Still slow. Swifty, I beginning to think you're right about 8.1!

You can still get 10 for free.
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Google Chrome is slow - 05/17/19
How much memory do you have Dave?
Posted By: 5thShock Re: Google Chrome is slow - 05/17/19
Could your 8.1 be updating itself? Had a Windows 10 Home machine that would not stop updating itself, it had been updated to 10 from 8 and had been driven insane in the process and never worked well wirelesswise. It got a deep lobotomy and the box is now occupied by Linux Mint. Try to fix your 8 because 10 could be worse.
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Google Chrome is slow - 05/17/19
Originally Posted by 5thShock
Try to fix your 8 because 10 could be worse.

Or just get rid of all your windoze problems and load it up with Ubuntu.
Posted By: mtang45 Re: Google Chrome is slow - 05/17/19
Older computers struggle with anything newer than Windows 7. Add to that 8.1 is a terrible, terrible operating system. Hell I think it had a life span of about 6 months before Microsoft replaced it with Windows 10. Go back to 7 with your existing computer or buy a new one with Windows 10
Posted By: mtnsnake Re: Google Chrome is slow - 05/17/19
Use firefox instead.
Posted By: nighthawk Re: Google Chrome is slow - 05/17/19
First thing, I'd try downloading Chrome with the new OS installed. Stuff is supposed to convert cleanly to the new OS but sometimes it doesn't.
Posted By: shaman Re: Google Chrome is slow - 05/17/19
Originally Posted by 5thShock
Could your 8.1 be updating itself? Had a Windows 10 Home machine that would not stop updating itself, it had been updated to 10 from 8 and had been driven insane in the process and never worked well wirelesswise. It got a deep lobotomy and the box is now occupied by Linux Mint. Try to fix your 8 because 10 could be worse.

I had somewhat the same problem with a laptop. I made the mistake of updating from 8.1 to 10.

I was about to go to press with a novel, and the damn thing went nuts one night. I overnighted a new laptop to myself and was able to get the ailing laptop booted in safe mode and got the important files migrated. After that, it sat on the edge of my desk, plugged in and running. THat was August.

In December, I had an issue that required digging on the old laptop. I opened it up, and hit the space bar. It had mended itself in the intervening months and was now running solidly on WIN 10. I brought it up this past week to do some deep diving. It's running better than it ever did on WIN 8.1.

For my personal use, I've converted 100% to Ubuntu. I leave Windows at the door when I leave work. I've also converted some of my friends to it-- the ones that just need email and internet browsing. I can take one of their old machines and turn it into a fast friendly machine that doesn't require any hands-on maintenance.

Get rid of windows 8.1, it's crap.

Windows 10 is a much better system. Seven is also better than 8.1
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

I have Windows 10 and IMO it sucks.
Posted By: rifletom Re: Google Chrome is slow - 05/17/19
How do you switch from Windows 10 to Ubuntu? Does the computer work the same?
Posted By: JohnnyLoco Re: Google Chrome is slow - 05/17/19
Up
Posted By: Dave_in_WV Re: Google Chrome is slow - 05/17/19
It's still slow. I have "Driver Support" and overall it has helped by updating drivers.

12344mag I have 3.0G and 2.75 useable.
Originally Posted by shootbrownelk
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

I have Windows 10 and IMO it sucks.

I've had zero issues with Window's 10, but, I'm also running it on two top of the line systems.
Posted By: nighthawk Re: Google Chrome is slow - 05/17/19
I have zero issues with Windows 10 too. This thing has Windows 7 pro. wink
© 24hourcampfire