Home
Posted By: SamOlson Montana rain report... - 05/18/19
It doesn't rain here very often so this is kind of a big deal...

Right at 1.5" here at Wolf Point.

What is the recent total for your area?

(and no, we are not done farming and still have a bunch of pairs to get out on grass, nervous but we needed the moisture)
Posted By: memtb Re: Montana rain report... - 05/18/19
Congrats, I know that it’s welcome.....if you need it as badly as we do! We’re just over a half inch now.....around 2.76” for the year! memtb
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Montana rain report... - 05/18/19
I didn't want to hijack Hanco's heat wave thread...

You Wyoming and Dakota people feel free to report!
Posted By: kroo88 Re: Montana rain report... - 05/18/19
Sam, 6/10” yesterday and it’s been snowing since 4:00 am south of the Sweet Grass Hills.

Bought a bull over in Harlem yesterday and looked like Havre had quite a bit more rain.
Looks to be pushing west, hopefully you guys catch some more!
Considerable amounts to be added to many of these that reported early yesterday, but you get the idea.

https://nwschat.weather.gov/p.php?pid=201905180215-KBYZ-NOUS45-PNSBYZ
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: Montana rain report... - 05/18/19
Snow on MacDonald Pass yesterday. Rivers running brown.

Rain yesterday from Missoula to SpookCan. Thursday rain from Billings to Bozeman.

Eastbound today in a rental from PDX. I'll report raindrop counts.
We seeded into pretty good moisture but we definitely need all we can get now. Nothing over the last 3 weeks.
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Montana rain report... - 05/18/19
Down here in Utah (the second driest state) we normally measure rain storms in hundredths of an inch. A half-incher is a gully washer and we typically get a bit more than 16 inches of rain plus snow melt a year. That's for perspective...

Yesterday, we got 1.75" of rain, bringing us to 3.04" for this month so far, and 22.27" for the rain year (starting October 1). There's 0.32" in my rain gauge already this morning, and it may keep raining through Tuesday.

This much rain has caused house-destroying rock slides in the past very near here. We normally ignore rumbling noises as caused by Hill AFB jets, but a lot of folks are going to be on high alert for other rumbles now, I guarantee!
Wet, cool and rainy last night in the flathead. I imagine it’s heading your way. Temps at upper 30’s at night.
Wait a minute! Is it moving west or east?
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Montana rain report... - 05/18/19

Same here........Utah & rain in the same sentence isn't common.....but

this year has been crazy.....snow pack is outta control too.....that is good....

Actually snow squalls across our range right now....more rain & snow all week coming

valley lows in the mid 30's most of the week....check out this snowpack graph

https://www.ksl.com/?nid=978
Posted By: Ulvejaeger Re: Montana rain report... - 05/18/19
over 1/4" at home last night
snow level about 500' above the house
All needed & good in this part of MT
Moving party tomorrow!
About a 1/2" of rain --- It's snowing right now, though.
Posted By: Tarkio Re: Montana rain report... - 05/18/19
Originally Posted by kroo88
Sam, 6/10” yesterday and it’s been snowing since 4:00 am south of the Sweet Grass Hills.

Bought a bull over in Harlem yesterday and looked like Havre had quite a bit more rain.

Kroo88, who did you buy your bull from in Harlem?
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Montana rain report... - 05/18/19
South central ID got 'drenched' with about 1/3" of rain yesterday. Usually these wet spells are followed by a cold, windy front. It appears that this one is no exception. The next few days will be cooler.
Posted By: ERK Re: Montana rain report... - 05/18/19
Central northern N.D.. dry here. Need rain. Was a drought last year also. Had quite a bit of snow but it was super dry with very little moisture. Ed k
Posted By: boatammo Re: Montana rain report... - 05/18/19
1/2" since midnight an inch yesterday. snowing here right now.
Glendive
Posted By: 2legit2quit Re: Montana rain report... - 05/18/19
I often think I miss the farm life Sammo

And then I recall the worries over weather. 🤦🏼‍♂️ Will we get enough rain to grow hay ? Then when we finally got enough will it dry up long enough to cut, rake, bale and get it in the barn dry ?

Was a constant concern it seems the weather
Posted By: memtb Re: Montana rain report... - 05/18/19
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Down here in Utah (the second driest state) we normally measure rain storms in hundredths of an inch. A half-incher is a gully washer and we typically get a bit more than 16 inches of rain plus snow melt a year. That's for perspective...

Yesterday, we got 1.75" of rain, bringing us to 3.04" for this month so far, and 22.27" for the rain year (starting October 1). There's 0.32" in my rain gauge already this morning, and it may keep raining through Tuesday.

This much rain has caused house-destroying rock slides in the past very near here. We normally ignore rumbling noises as caused by Hill AFB jets, but a lot of folks are going to be on high alert for other rumbles now, I guarantee!

Darn Rocky, That’s Amazon rainfall compared to us. Last calendar year, we had the wettest year since we moved here (2000), we went just over 10” total precip! memtb
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Montana rain report... - 05/18/19
Getting about 1/4" a day. I've been working on trenching and burying two miles of ditch. The crew is pumping water out of the ditch with a 3" and a 4" pump and can't get it out fast enough to glue pipe. By the time I get there to bury it's full of water, have to chase it to the end. Getting very tired of 13 hour days on the excavator.

I'm over the rain.
Posted By: kennymauser Re: Montana rain report... - 05/18/19
One of the best updates on the current snow in Montana is go to Big Sky Fishing-----click on Montana Web Cams and you can see that it is snowing in a lot of places right now.

still raining here, but the hills out of town are white!
Posted By: Cheesy Re: Montana rain report... - 05/18/19
28” for the year so far. 45” is our annual here in SWMO Supposed to get an inch today.

Saw some hay down earlier in the week that got put up dry. Miracle between the storms. Was hard for the corn to get planted. Most hadn’t got any in by the time they’d normally be done planting.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Montana rain report... - 05/18/19
Sitting at 8 tenths right now. Ground is white too.

Was hoping for a bit more....but its still good.

The county has been dry.

Might be up to 2 inches now for the year.

Glad for the moisture Sam. We are in a similar situation....still seeding and calving.

The grass FINALLY came on some so we at least got to quit feeding.
Posted By: Cheesy Re: Montana rain report... - 05/18/19
[Linked Image]
Posted By: mudstud Re: Montana rain report... - 05/18/19

Sam, got about 6 drops of rain on my windshield yesterday evening here in Minot! Cold! SW NoDak is supposed to get 3-5 inches of snow today. Not here tho.
For the interested.

https://www.safetravelusa.com/
Originally Posted by Tarkio
Originally Posted by kroo88

Kroo88, who did you buy your bull from in Harlem?

Larry Klingaman

http://www.ourkidsandcows.com/klingaman-cattle/
We’re headed to an auction down by Carter today. See if the crowd wants to stand in the mud and snow.
Posted By: boatammo Re: Montana rain report... - 05/18/19
Snowing like crazy in Glendive, 34 degrees, 15 to 20 winds, and I can see some guys down on the river in a jet boat fishing?
You bought from Larry?

Ha! We went to school together. I took an EMT class with his wife.

Nice family.

Kroo88!

See what that swather sells for. I was gonna go to that sale but couldn't find anyone to go with me.
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
You bought from Larry?

Ha! We went to school together. I took an EMT class with his wife.

Nice family.

Kroo88!

See what that swather sells for. I was gonna go to that sale but couldn't find anyone to go with me.

Ya, found his name under the Chinook sale banner. Good guy to deal with.

Jim, thought I’d spot you at the sale barn yesterday. You can bid on line too.
I was trying to die from a hangover.

Nearly got it done!
Dry Hood River to SpookCan. Now wet.
Well, I guess I'm gonna wait a few more days before heading east for my APR trip. I don't like gumbo, and the rain will make my photographs even greener.
The weather pattern has been really odd, the action is all coming from the southeast and pushing the wrong way over the mountains here. Glad for the moisture but am ready for things to warm up.
Posted By: AB2506 Re: Montana rain report... - 05/18/19
SW Alberta has had light rain pretty steady since Wednesday afternoon. Looks like another couple of days before it stops. Could get snow in some areas. Temps are not much above freezing at night.

It appears the weather pattern is hovering over eastern Montana. The rotation is counter clockwise. That pattern always means an extended precipitation pattern in this country. Rain/snow combined with a SE wind means wet for the near future.
Light rain but a Walmart truck off the road about 40 yards damned near to the river, east of St Regis. Line of folks (civilians, women and kids) offloading it's cargo in a brigade line into another trailer sitting on the shoulder. St Regis FD overseeing. Looks redneck as hell.
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Light rain but a Walmart truck off the road about 40 yards damned near to the river, east of St Regis. Line of folks (civilians, women and kids) offloading it's cargo in a brigade line into another trailer sitting on the shoulder. St Regis FD overseeing. Looks redneck as hell.

Some small town wrecker business is making bank on that job along with his whole family. Probably the most exciting thing to happen in St Regis in years.
Originally Posted by Stormin_Norman
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer

Some small town wrecker business is making bank on that job along with his whole family. Probably the most exciting thing to happen in St Regis in years.

Yep. They was all smiles! YeeHaa

If that was in Townsend, I think the whole town would turn out to watch.
I was trying to die from a hangover.

Nearly got it done!

Swather went for 30k.
Thanks for all the replies, it was a muddy morning here!

Kroo, do you remember what the old tandem IH grain truck sold for?

I just happened to see that auction listed in the Trader's Dispatch today.

Lots of auctions, it is a tough time right now for some people.

Of course lots of retirement auctions...
I figured it would.

I kinda wanted that IH too Sam.
Posted By: 340boy Re: Montana rain report... - 05/18/19
South-central Idaho got hammered with rain the last few days, also. The little ski resort above my place got 16 inches of snow over the past couple of nights.
I love it!
This is why NOBODY should move to Montana. It's bad!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: C_Hell Re: Montana rain report... - 05/18/19
We missed the big rain yesterday. Not a drop. Sub moisture is staying ok. Been so damn cold that the grass hasn’t really started up yet. Got about 5000 seeded about 1000 to go. Things have went fairly well ao far.

We got that wet snow last couple days of April but nothing since. It’s definrely time for a drink.
Posted By: C_Hell Re: Montana rain report... - 05/18/19
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Thanks for all the replies, it was a muddy morning here!

Kroo, do you remember what the old tandem IH grain truck sold for?

I just happened to see that auction listed in the Trader's Dispatch today.

Lots of auctions, it is a tough time right now for some people.

Of course lots of retirement auctions...

Either 4600 or 4700. Shane was kinda mumbling.
2007 Case went for 80k.
1999 AGCO 52k
2014 Massy combine no sale . Only reached 100k.
‘96. Freightliner 20k
Air seeders 80k JD 1835 and 50k JD 1830
Sprayers 4K Flexicoil and 7k Ag shield
Posted By: viking Re: Montana rain report... - 05/18/19
Well Sam, it looks like we will be neighbors. I believe I will be living in East Fairview.

I quit trucking Wednesday night and got a job offer in less than 12 hours.
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: Montana rain report... - 05/18/19
SamOlson: Have a friend in from the Puget Sound Country out in Washington.
He got up early yesterday and lit out from Everett, Washington - he said it rained every inch of the way all the way to Dillon, Montana. That is 670 miles!
Anyway it has rained here in Dillon every day for 4 days now.
Supposed to keep on raining til Friday (its Saturday now) and a days break then five more days of rain - that's as far as the long term forecast goes!
That is VERY unusual here, as we only get 9.75" total of moisture (rain and snow melt!) here per year.
Maybe this will kill the Pine Beatles?
And on top of that its muddy and cold.
Snow is back fresh in the foothills as of this morning.
Global warming my rosey red ass!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Thanks for the reports!

Jim, the IH did have 80k miles on it which is sorta getting up there for a life of gravel roads and washboard....

Kroo, I was gonna guess $4-5k.

Thanks for the info.

Colt, cool pic!

How many acres/hour can you cover?

I know guys were seeding around the clock trying to beat the rain but lots of guys aren't done to the north.

Viking, congrats on the new job!

The cows are pissed and want outta here.

[Linked Image]
I get about 25 acres an hour.....but I have to fill ever three hours.

Its slow.....but a lot faster than a box drill!
Posted By: C_Hell Re: Montana rain report... - 05/19/19
I am doing around 37 acres an hour. Also filling every 3 hours. Loooks like got good chances Tuesday wendesday next week hopefully can connect on one of those. Not nearly in bad of moisture situation as the last two springs so not complaining yet
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Montana rain report... - 05/19/19
All machines are back home and packed with gumbo mud. Tomorrow is wash day. Raining again.
Posted By: Lorne Re: Montana rain report... - 05/19/19
Sam

We got anywhere from a couple tenths to maybe 1/2 inch north of the Medicine line from you. Didn’t amount to much

We had pretty decent sub soil moisture here then got a bunch ( well over a foot) of wet snow two weeks ago. Some blew around into piles but overall it helped. Killed less calves than I thought it would....

Supposed to freeze tonight but I don’t think it will be too bad. Alfalfa needs to grow a bit more so a frost can really throw a screwin into it 🤣🤣
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Montana rain report... - 05/19/19
Yeah....no kidding.

Been cold.

My alfalfa finally grew out of the killing it got earlier.
Posted By: boatammo Re: Montana rain report... - 05/19/19
Got 2+ inches here and needed it.
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Montana rain report... - 05/19/19
Jim, that's about what I get with our 40' at 5mph. Maybe a little less but much better than the old Kirshman's that remember filling with a grain slide!

Glad to hear your alf came back to life.

Colt, that is some serious acreage.

One of my (big)farmer buddies bought a newer 67'(?) JD disk drill and if they ground isn't real rocky they can fly with that thing. He claims they were seeding at 9mph on flat ground. I thought he 60 acres an hour?

I want to get a little gas powered auger to fill our cart. The hydraulics on the old Versatile are low gpm and it takes about an hour to fill the little 200 bushel cart. Way too slow....

I see they are calling for +1" this upcoming week, I hope you guys get our share!

FB2, ahh yes, the joy of gumbo!

Lorne, we had about 4-5" of snow out of that same storm, that was a wet cold weekend and really slowed up our branding and farming plans for about a week.

Brad, I heard Glendive had a bunch of snow Friday night?

Sort of a crazy mid-May!
Posted By: viking Re: Montana rain report... - 05/19/19
So what’s in Sidney Montana?
Viking, I haven't been there in 20 or 30 years, no idea!
They have crummy Taco John's and also some cocaine.
I will be a Deputy living in Fairview (east). It’s about the only place to live. Watford is full and expensive.
Yowsa!

That will be an interesting job.
Ha, I will be the court house.
Originally Posted by viking
So what’s in Sidney Montana?

All the joys associated with a boom-and-bust oil patch economy. And a helluva wrestling program.
I have a good friend that lives over there.

I lost his number when I ran over my phone last year.

Us Hi Line Christian type folks who refrain and abstain would do well to stay out of Sidney.

Its the Gamorrah of Eastern Montana.

Billings being the Sodom.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Montana rain report... - 05/19/19
From truck driver to LEO.
Next thing, we will hear you are DOT, or Weights and Measures.
Be careful friend, you are on a slippery slope! wink

I miss driving, I loved it.
I don't missing sacrificing having a life, for an under-appreciated job.

Hope you are happy with your new career.
Lol. I used to be LEO. I got a CDL when I lived in TX. Those jobs are everywhere. I didn’t care for the winter driving conditions and hours. They would send us out in near zero visibility. This spring we were working 16-18 days, not safe. We didn’t drive that many hours, there was wait time. I was into OT on Wednesday.
Posted By: Kenneth Re: Montana rain report... - 05/19/19
Wisconsin rain report,

Seems like it hasn't ended since it started months ago,

Cutting grass has become an issue.

and Texas cold too.
Posted By: C_Hell Re: Montana rain report... - 05/19/19
Those big 1895s are incredible. I would not doubt the 60 acres an hour talk. They are kind of toying with us on the predictions again. The main part will stay south Down with you Sam. We are a question mark up on the border again.
Posted By: keystoneben Re: Montana rain report... - 05/19/19
Been too wet to get anything done around here. Everytime it starts to dry out we get some more. We got .6 two days ago and a pretty good storms blowing through right now.
Originally Posted by keystoneben
Been too wet to get anything done around here. Everytime it starts to dry out we get some more. We got .6 two days ago and a pretty good storms blowing through right now.

You got anything planted Ben?

There are rumors of a lot of corn acres are not going to get planted.
We really haven't done much. Sprayed some ground, and spread a bunch of manure. But that's been half a battle. We don't start planting corn til May 20. But usually we have all of the ground worked up by now.
Thats interesting. Some of the farmers here are already thinking its too late for wheat.

I hear ya though.

We were cold and dry earlier so we worked every acre. Ground to be seeded and summerfallow ground.

It was hard to do that while everyone was spraying and seeding.

They did not kill anything with the chemical though!

Hopefully you some good weather.
Colt, last spring you guys got good rain right after we did.

I guess the 1895 is heavy and pulls hard.

But it makes a beautiful crop.

Ben, we try to have corn in the ground by Memorial Day.
Jim, we hired a custom sprayer to pre-spray everything dry land.

$23k bill.......

Got a great kill on the first flush of weeds.

Phew!

Glad you got a kill.

The guys that sprayed here killed a whole lot of nothing!

They were trying to spray at 32 degrees.
We have chitload of purple mustard coming up in some winter stressed alfalfa.

Godddddamn weeds!
Ten out of the next fifteen days shows showers 40% or better. So hopefully something changes. Haven't had driyish ground since last July. I don't know anyone that isn't short on feed. Hopefully we can play catch up this year.

Sam, we like to start around the 20th and hope to be done by the second week of June. Few mornings last week were below 40. So we usually dont rush
Ben, nervous here on the haystack as well.
(we NEED to get cows out on grass!)

Posted By: SamOlson Re: Montana rain report... - 05/20/19
They have crummy Taco John's and also some cocaine.

I would rather have a crummy TJ's and good cocaine compared to a crummy TJ's and crummy cocaine.
Posted By: keystoneben Re: Montana rain report... - 05/20/19
We put out half of ours yesterday. It's too wet to let everyone out or they'll ruin too much ground. But our feeding area was getting abused so we had to do something.
Our feeding area is expanding as well.

Stressful!

Put out 3 ton of alfalfa yesterday and the cows tromped half of it into the mud.

When do they usually go??
First week or two of May.
Yeah, it's hard to get ahead when your still screwing around with stuff that should be done.
Hopefully prices will be up in the fall to make up for the weather and trade tariffs. China is taking it worse than the US, as painful as it is for some folks we need to get chit straight at some point before it totally screws us.

Looks like logging season will be late this year in the NW. Weight restrictions will be on for some time, and the snow isn’t melting fast at the higher elevations. Most log trucks and crews are still waiting on Mother Nature.
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: Montana rain report... - 05/20/19
You Farmers amd Ranchers are the cat meow. God Luv ya.
Posted By: Salmonella Re: Montana rain report... - 05/20/19
Got about another 2 inches this weekend.
I hate the mud...😡

Posted By: Rooster7 Re: Montana rain report... - 05/20/19
Originally Posted by FatCity67
You Farmers amd Ranchers are the cat meow. God Luv ya.

# 1
Well, don't count on it warming up today. Overcast and icky here in the Phlatehedd.
Posted By: C_Hell Re: Montana rain report... - 05/20/19
Just opened up the last 580 along the border. Top is really gettin dry. Dust is a flying. Cleaning out air filter every morning. Cows need to get out is right. Ours busted out of feeding pasture into another yesterday. Hopefully wrap this [bleep] up Wednesday.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: C_Hell Re: Montana rain report... - 05/20/19
Have seeded 22 days. 290 hours in tractor. 5500 acres. 40 hour weeks sound nice Pahaha
Posted By: mtnsnake Re: Montana rain report... - 05/21/19
Snowing here again.
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Montana rain report... - 05/21/19
just over an inch of much needed rain out here on the prairie today.
Good for you, NE CO. I've been watching the weather maps and I don't remember ever seeing such a sustained flow of weather from the southeast, all over the state of Montana. Like straight to the Northwest, which is almost exactly opposite normal rotten weather. I need to give up fossil fuels.
Posted By: mtnsnake Re: Montana rain report... - 05/21/19
Still snowing tonight and trees are breaking all over!
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Montana rain report... - 05/21/19
18 inches of snow on the prairie just east of Elbert, 12" in Kiowa and only an inch here in Deer Trail. But with the 1.26" of rain, the wheat gets a drink.....
Posted By: bkraft Re: Montana rain report... - 05/21/19
Wellington, in Sumner Co. Ks 16.9" since May 1st. Most of the rain has come hard, water standing every where. More on the way.What corn that got planted is in danger of drowning out, wheat is starting to show some color, that which didn't get hailed out.Had hail about the size of buckshot the night of the 5th, came in with a 50+ mph north wind at about 10:30 pm, there was still hail in the ditches at 6:45 am the 6th when I left for work.Took the paint off the north side of a lot of buildings. Been kind of a rough patch here.
Posted By: keystoneben Re: Montana rain report... - 05/22/19
Originally Posted by C_Hell
Have seeded 22 days. 290 hours in tractor. 5500 acres. 40 hour weeks sound nice Pahaha

That's alotta seat time.
Posted By: Ralphie Re: Montana rain report... - 05/22/19
I don’t know about Montana but our frogs are drowning here. Haven’t seen the sun since maybe Thursday, fires going in the wood stove, and no brandings happening. Hard to complain about spring rain, but dang.
© 24hourcampfire