Home
This is a very interesting lecture by a noted geologist professor regarding the "hot spot" under Yellowstone Lake, how it got there, and what will happen someday when it blows.

The professor is bright, illustrative, very well informed, and has a sense of humor. It's a bit more than an hour long but well worth the watch if you're interested in "regular" volcanoes and super volcanoes, and live in the west, Pacific Northwest, or about any other place in the U.S.

L.W.
pretty cool (hot?) stuff. Lots of residual geothermal activity in those old hot spots, still.
Check out the Novarupta (Katmai) eruption of 1912 for some interesting info about super volcanoes. Luckily the area was sparsely populated. The blast was heard an hour later as far south as Juneau. The Valley of 10 thousand smokes is a pretty cool place to check out if you ever get a chance.
IF it should pop during our lifetime, some here will know it sooner, but not for as long!
The rest of us . . .

Who knows???

Thank you Leanwolf, I enjoyed watching that.
And, when the Juan de Fuca tectonic plate releases off the Pacific coast, we get a brand new set of Himalayas. Are you ready for what comes next? (We won't be on Earth anymore, Hint, hint.)
Well worth the watch!
Thanks for the link! Wow!
Very cool.
Originally Posted by agazain
And, when the Juan de Fuca tectonic plate releases off the Pacific coast, we get a brand new set of Himalayas.

Two different plate boundaries/geologic processes.
Beware hided plates.
I spent the whole day yesterday walking around the giant super volcano, Yellowstone. That is weird, looking at all those steam vents, that she is gonna blow some day.
Down here just a few hundred miles from Yellowstone, we'll get a couple hours to contemplate our navels before we're toast. Maybe less. Frankly, the ones to go immediately will be the lucky ones.
If you want to go out with a Bang...This would be the way to do it.
Fantastic. I freaking love science
Damn good video. Thanks Leanwolf. Some powerful things there.
wish he would have talked about the gobal effects of a super V event a little more, how far you need to be to survive, etc. I know he mentioned if you are within 100 miles you are toast, but what if you are 400 miles? Can you tuff it out if you have supplies, or do you need to get in a car and boogie farther away?
I see what you did there. "...tuff it out...." Very clever. At least you watched the video.
Didn't know Smith Rock was a 'Yellow Stone" structure. But it makes sense.
Great Vid, BTW. Thanks for posting.
Originally Posted by The_Big_D
wish he would have talked about the gobal effects of a super V event a little more, how far you need to be to survive, etc. I know he mentioned if you are within 100 miles you are toast, but what if you are 400 miles? Can you tuff it out if you have supplies, or do you need to get in a car and boogie farther away?

Not sure anyone really knows. How is the ash going to react with atmospheric oxygen? What toxic gases are produced?

In any case, if a Super V. goes off, the proponents of climate change get to tell us all "I told you so.........". IIRC, Krakatoa produced the "year without summer", and Shelley wrote "Frankenstein" that year in the gloom and doom. A super V would be magnitudes larger, so the effect would be more severe, and longer. What would humanity look like after two, three, four, even five or six years of failed crops globally? Who's going to be alive after that?
Dutch - " ... A super V would be magnitudes larger, so the effect would be more severe, and longer. What would humanity look like after two, three, four, even five or six years of failed crops globally? Who's going to be alive after that?"

Ahhh, the stuff that science fiction novels are made of. wink

L.W.
Originally Posted by Dutch
What would humanity look like after two, three, four, even five or six years of failed crops globally? Who's going to be alive after that?

Mormons.
Originally Posted by Leanwolf
Dutch - " ... A super V would be magnitudes larger, so the effect would be more severe, and longer. What would humanity look like after two, three, four, even five or six years of failed crops globally? Who's going to be alive after that?"

Ahhh, the stuff that science fiction novels is made of. wink

L.W.

Cormac McCarthy's "the road"?
Originally Posted by Dutch
Originally Posted by Leanwolf

Ahhh, the stuff that science fiction novels are made of. wink

L.W.

Cormac McCarthy's "the road"?

Yep, that'll do.

L.W. .
This is a great series. Again thanks Lean Wolf for posting.

I wonder what Ringman thinks...
Excellent!
© 24hourcampfire