Home
Just taking a moment to update you guys on my weight loss. Ya'll could find the thread here where I posted after losing my first 20.

Today I reached what I had originally thought would be where I stopped 200 lbs at 6'2 and muscular build. My waist is about 30". I wear a belt with my 32-32 Jeans and wear a medium shirt now.

I have now lost 130 lbs since Christmas 2 years ago but most of it has been just since August last year. Back in August I got serious since I had not been very successful with my cutting back way of dieting and had only lost about 20 lbs since Christmas.

In August I quit sugar of any form completely. I also quit grains of all kinds and starchy veggies like potatoes. I was obese and basically dying at 50 years old. I was on 4 shots every 3 months and 4 pain pills a day from my doc. I quit him,the pain meds and sugar and grain all at once in August last year.

It's been tough at times but worth every tired sick day I had at first. I have been really maxing out the calisthenics the last few months and am seeing huge gains. When I started I did 3 leg raises and only one perfect push up. I do 150 leg raises now along with lots of other core exercise. I have about cured my sciatica and my knees that were headed for replacement are 99% better. I can actually sprint now. Probably don't seem like much but when it's been 30 years and you can do it again ,it feels damn great.

I can do about 50 dips now in sets of 10 and 5,and about 50 perfect push ups in sets of 10 and 5, and I can do an hour on my elliptical. The first time on that I didn't even do a minuet without being out of breath. My goal is to post my first pictures L sitting in my lawn chair on my one year anniversary of starting this August. Can't get there yet but I can suspend my whole body holding the arms of the chair and hold my legs about 20 degrees off the ground. Hopefully I will get to the 90 degree L sit or even a greater degree V sit by August. I thought it would make a cool picture after being such a fat ass before.

Anyway guys,I don't need any congrats though I appreciate them and all the encouragement you guys have given me so far. I just wanted to stay on ya'll that might be close to where I was, and keep telling ya'll that it isn't too late,especially if a cornbread fed fat ass 50 year old redneck from Alabama can do it.
I feel myself slipping away at 53. Not really overweight at all just sore alot. Since reading your threads I've cut some starches and most sugars, but it's going to take awhile to retrain the old brain.
Originally Posted by Fireball2
I feel myself slipping away at 53. Not really overweight at all just sore a lot. Since reading your threads I've cut some starches and most sugars, but it's going to take awhile to retrain the old brain.

I now know that I was mostly dying from sugar poising. It causes increased insulin production because it is a liver toxin that must be converted to fat. Chronic inflammation from insulin is the cause of about 85% of disease in this country from heart attack to cancer.

PS
Can I have your Savages when you are gone? LOL.
NAW!!
Just start eating right which means real meat and real vegetables. Train until you can go 15-18 hours last meal to next and start feeling like you are 25 again. When you start feeling good start exercising and feel better than you did at 25 because you were likely addicted to sugar and having inflammation from it and grains even back then.
RH C your story is truly an insperation,, congrats on your new life and health,, funny how we dont realize how important our health is till its almost too late,, nice work sir
OT, kinda, this morning my dental hygienist told me that flossing your teeth once a day helps control the bacteria that grow in your mouth. Sure, but how important is that? She says that as of right now 57 diseases are linked to poor dental hygiene, with more links being discovered every day. When your gums bleed it carries that bacteria thru-out your body in the bloodstream and your body has to fight those infections off.

She got my attention.
Originally Posted by hosfly
RH C your story is truly an insperation,, congrats on your new life and health,, funny how we dont realize how important our health is till its almost too late,, nice work sir

Yea,I highly advise to start eating right before you are 150 lbs over weight. I thought 200 would be great when I started but it looks like I'll need to be 180 now before all the fat is off my belly.It's flat now even standing relaxed but I want to see my abs for the first time ever now.

Anyway,it will be a hell of a lot easier to lose and not nearly as hard on your body if you start when you are only 50 lbs or less over. Even if you aren't overweight it is very possible that sugar and grain are causing your other symptoms that you have just been told all your life came with old age.
If I may, when you say you cut out sugars of every kind, does that include fruits?
OT, kinda, this morning my dental hygienist told me that flossing your teeth once a day helps control the bacteria that grow in your mouth. Sure, but how important is that? She says that as of right now 57 diseases are linked to poor dental hygiene, with more links being discovered every day. When your gums bleed it carries that bacteria thru-out your body in the bloodstream and your body has to fight those infections off.

She got my attention.

Yea,and those bacteria probably grow on sugar! Even Cancer needs sugar to grow.

She got my attention.

I got the same thing about flossing two months ago. I’ve been at it 6 days a week, sometimes 7, it only takes a minute.
That is fantastic! We find we have decades of bad habits to break! Well done!
Originally Posted by WayneShaw
If I may, when you say you cut out sugars of every kind, does that include fruits?

Naw,Paw!

My desire to eat those peaches has only increased,probably too damn much, but if we are talking about the kind that grows on trees,then I do eat fruit but only treat them as a once a week or so treat. I do eat blueberries and raspberries about 3 times a week,great antioxidants.

You won't get hurt by fruit unless you start pigging out on it to replace a sweet tooth sugar craving. No fruit juice though,it and milk you might as well drink a glass of sugar water. Also the heavier you are the more you can get away with. I did drink milk at first and would now if I really wanted some. I just only drink it on a rare occasion,not a half gallon every day like before.
Man that is fantastic!

Keep up the good work with one word of caution......be careful with the dips and pushups. I got on a bigly exercise kick when I was in my 40's and developed "tennis elbow" which is tendonitis in the elbow. Got to where I could not pick up a glass of water if my arm was extended out. Mine came from overdoing pull ups but your elbow joints take a beating with those, dips, pushups etc. With age, the tendons lose flexibility and are easier to aggravate than when young.

It really puts a damper on your upper body exercise program when your arms don't work and the only way to get over it is to rest, and it takes a long time....mine took a couple of years. I tried to "fight through"......WRONG! Just kept re-injuring myself.

Don't want you to lose your momentum! Warm up good and give your body plenty of time to recover between sessions.
Congratulations! Please forgive me.....you deserve it! A long tough battle....but, the rewards are work the work and sacrifices! You’ll be doing things again, you thought impossible! Keep up the good work! memtb
Originally Posted by RJY66
Man that is fantastic!

Keep up the good work with one word of caution......be careful with the dips and pushups. I got on a bigly exercise kick when I was in my 40's and developed "tennis elbow" which is tendonitis in the elbow. Got to where I could not pick up a glass of water if my arm was extended out. Mine came from overdoing pull ups but your elbow joints take a beating with those, dips, pushups etc. With age, the tendons lose flexibility and are easier to aggravate than when young.

It really puts a damper on your upper body exercise program when your arms don't work and the only way to get over it is to rest, and it takes a long time....mine took a couple of years. I tried to "fight through"......WRONG! Just kept re-injuring myself.

Don't want you to lose your momentum!

Yea,I have had some in my right elbow but I was also suppose to have bone on bone knees. I am feeding my body everything it needs to rebuild and I am trying to stop everything that hinders that,even to Tylenol and alcohol. I have read of knees regenerating and though I don't have X rays I walk about 9 miles a week along with my other stuff pretty mush pain free now.

I try to stretch it and let it heal, and I do let pain tell me something isn't right. I don't hurt at all while excising. It's usually the next day and sometimes I let my older body recuperate from a workout 2 or even 3 days if I feel like I need it. I'm starting to look damn good for a 51 year old man.My wife is getting worried .LOL
One well known keto advocate says that eating fruits every day of the year is not a good thing. His reasoning: fruits ripen during a specific period in a given locale and are (or rather WERE) only available during a brief time. I see the reasoning there, and so maybe perpetual access to fresh fruit is not a good thing. Sugar, in its various forms, is still sugar.

I think I'm going to have to go down this road myself. I'm nearing retirement age and still in very good health, and there are things I want to do when I have time on my hands. It would suck to lose the ability to do those things when the opportunity comes to me.
"No fruit juice though, it and milk you might as well drink a glass of sugar water"

If you like milk you can drink lactose free milk.

She got my attention.

My hygeniest always gets my attention,She is steaming hot. True on the teeth cleaning though it really makes a difference.
Awesome story, bro. You got your life back.
Sorry you get respect you deserve. Good job man. I lost 30 and kept it off a year. I feel great and hunt better. Good to encourage others.
I feel myself slipping away at 53. Not really overweight at all just sore alot. Since reading your threads I've cut some starches and most sugars, but it's going to take awhile to retrain the old brain.

Yep kinda in this boat myself, ain't what i was 2 years ago. Going to address it smile
Originally Posted by RJY66
Man that is fantastic!

Don't want you to lose your momentum! Warm up good and give your body plenty of time to recover between sessions.

Good advice, had both elbows and a shoulder screwy for almost 2 years from shooting bows too much. Quit the 3D shoots and slowed way down on the practice and have healed up. Oh string and cables last awhile now too.
Good job man!

I got tennis elbow 3 years ago. Couldn't even pick up an empty milk jug without almost dropping to my knees. Really screwed up my bow shooting/hunting.
Originally Posted by Rooster7
Good job man!

I got tennis elbow 3 years ago. Couldn't even pick up an empty milk jug without almost dropping to my knees. Really screwed up my bow shooting/hunting.

Mine is actually better now than it was 2 years ago. I know I could aggravate it doing too much but I think I am strengthening it and giving it the rest and nutrition it needs to heal it'self.

Any of you guys can do the same that need to. Now I can wear any of my old pants with both my legs in one leg of those. I was a 48/32 and now wear a 32/32 and will likely be a 30/32. I wear a medium shirt and was wearing a 4XL. I don't feel the same at all. My wife says she feels like she's cheating on me with a stranger now.
Good job ! Ill buy u all the beers u want and bottomless frys ! ...lol I'm one size down ..still having to much fun...
Your story is inspirational but I got to wonder what you look like at 6'2" in a medium shirt. Where do you find medium extra talls?
Originally Posted by smarquez
Your story is inspirational but I got to wonder what you look like at 6'2" in a medium shirt. Where do you find medium extra talls?

I actually found some Hanes or some cheap T shirts for now that are a little longer than most mediums. I haven't bought any expensive clothes yet because I lose about 10 lbs every month and just 2 months I am about a pants size down. I kept my 48's until I was a 38. I'm now getting rid of my 36's and 34's I had bought,

I'm not sure medium isn't bigger than it use to be. I don't look small built. I do have muscles on my arms with veins you can see now. I thought I was a big strong man for years,I may just be a medium strong man.LOL
Originally Posted by smarquez

Eddie Bauer has a great selection of tall shirts. Plus usually a great Memorial Day online sale......
R H Clark ,

Great job !

I had forgot about your weightloss and get in shape thread you're really taking it serious - great .

I.m 6-2'' also and wear medium shirts , just over 200lbs. , large size drapes down over my waist too far .
Back five years ago I was in great shape had been hitting the gym for 10-12 years and got burned out . Was injured in a fall a while back and have to get moving again at 59 1/2 years old it gets harder all the time but we have to fight that off .
My younger brother passed away March 17 , he had a back surgury from a life of doing concrete work - surgury ruined his life . He couldn't do anything after , that led to depression and very little activity and bad eating habits . He had the Flu really bad and died in his sleep at 57 years old , I sure miss him .
There are a lot of people who are very unhealthy and don't think they are when you have your 50th birthday you better start paying attention to your life if you care about your life .

I've got to change my ways and get back active and working out N O W , laying in bed with a bunch of broken ribs,arm,collar bone , back injury got me down. Using this thread for motivation . Thanks and keep up the good work I know you'll make your 180lb. goal .

On the teeth hygiene topic , get a Waterpik water flosser [$40ish] , G U M - PROXABRUSH little brushes that clean between your teeth [you'll love the ease of use][still use floss though] , Phillips Sonicare toothbrush y'all will love all three and they all last a long time . OK I'll leave the rest to Hatari [Dentist] . smile

Take care of your health folks - you can't hunt fish shoot and aggravate people here on the Fire if you're dead .
Congrats.

Happy for you. Life changing choices you have made and I applaud you for it..
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
Just taking a moment to update you guys on my weight loss.

Anyway guys,I don't need any congrats though I appreciate them and all the encouragement you guys have given me so far. I just wanted to stay on ya'll that might be close to where I was, and keep telling ya'll that it isn't too late,especially if a cornbread fed fat ass 50 year old redneck from Alabama can do it.

You did good RH. What do we call you now? looks like Chubby is out..........

You're right anyone can do it they just have to want to.

I was dying from the same stuff as you, it damn near got me but I beat it and since eating properly I have lost 30 lbs since the end of January. I have done nothing but eat right, no exercise or anything just eating right.
Originally Posted by 12344mag
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
Just taking a moment to update you guys on my weight loss.

You did good RH. What do we call you now? looks like Chubby is out..........

You're right anyone can do it they just have to want to.

I was dying from the same stuff as you, it damn near got me but I beat it and since eating properly I have lost 30 lbs since the end of January. I have done nothing but eat right, no exercise or anything just eating right.

I didn't feel like exercising until I lost about 60 lbs. Starting I couldn't hardly do anything. All you have to do though is eat right, do a little more than normal.It has to be enough of something that you can tell you did it. It might be one push up or one walk around the track or it might be 50 push ups and a 3 mile run depending on your fitness level. It just has to be enough that you can tell you did it the next day. then give yourself at least 24 hours of rest with a good 8 hours sleep and do a little more the next time. You repeat that simple thing for 100 days and see if you don't feel a lot better.

Our bodies don't wear out as much as rust out and break down from bad gas and barely running them. I thought mine was worn out but I had just been giving it bad gas for a long time.
That’s incredible! Standing ovation deserved. 😎
Originally Posted by victoro
"No fruit juice though, it and milk you might as well drink a glass of sugar water"

If you like milk you can drink lactose free milk.

I'm trying be as sugar free as much as possible so I followed my own advice and bought a gallon of lactose free milk yesterday. This stuff has a sickeningly sweet taste like an artificial sweetener. The label shows no lactose but it has lactase enzyme (for digesting lactose). It also shows that it has exactly as much sugar (12g per cup) as regular whole milk! I don't know where the sweet case comes from since there is no sugar listed on the label. I'm usually good at reading labels but I was in a hurry when I bought it. It's going back to the store tomorrow.
Good job!
Congrads on the weight Loss! One plus on the Flossing! Iv realy seen a difference in my teeth & gums! I hadnt been to a denist in 8-9 years! had to have the Deep Cleaning done, not fun and took several visits! going to get serious with my Carbs Now! Thanks for the Update!
Originally Posted by saddlering
Congrads on the weight Loss! One plus on the Flossing! Iv realy seen a difference in my teeth & gums! I hadnt been to a denist in 8-9 years! had to have the Deep Cleaning done, not fun and took several visits! going to get serious with my Carbs Now! Thanks for the Update!

Yea,I've always been fanatical about my teeth. I use one of those dental cleaning picks and a water pic at home. They ain't perfect, but I've still got more of them, and they look better than most my age.
© 24hourcampfire