Home
Posted By: 5sdad People Who Run Marathons - 05/23/19

Has anyone ever told them that they don't have to?
Dated a girl for a short time a few years ago who told me she did them a couple of times a year. In that time I went to see her at the gate and waited for around 3 hour to see her cross the line. She admitted that she walks them mostly. Funny.
Posted By: lvmiker Re: People Who Run Marathons - 05/23/19
My youngest son runs one at the end of each Ironman comp.

mike r
Posted By: wabigoon Re: People Who Run Marathons - 05/23/19
Our youngest daughter runs the marathon races, she runs them. I wish I was In as good as shape as she is.
Posted By: prm Re: People Who Run Marathons - 05/23/19
I’ve run a couple. I found them to be a tremendous accomplishment.
Posted By: Cigar Re: People Who Run Marathons - 05/23/19
Cam Hanes is a 200 mile runner.. He is one of us...https://www.cameronhanes.com/
Much respect for those that do.
Posted By: Dess Re: People Who Run Marathons - 05/24/19
The accomplishment has my respect, but not my understanding.
Posted By: EIB0879 Re: People Who Run Marathons - 05/24/19
Originally Posted by prm
I’ve run a couple. I found them to be a tremendous accomplishment.

Ran my last six years ago. Now that I'm 60, I doubt I'll ever do another even if I was in shape.
I'll die never having thought about doing that. Remember my Dad saying he wished he could hitch them to lawnmowers or wheelbarrows.
Posted By: kid0917 Re: People Who Run Marathons - 05/24/19
Originally Posted by Beansnbacon33
Dated a girl for a short time a few years ago who told me she did them a couple of times a year. In that time I went to see her at the gate and waited for around 3 hour to see her cross the line. She admitted that she walks them mostly. Funny.

If she can do 26 miles in 3-some hours, mostly walking. .. she must be doing some serious sprinting part of the time!
wink
Posted By: Starman Re: People Who Run Marathons - 05/24/19
Originally Posted by 5sdad

Said that some are addicted to the endorphin release they get or 'runners high'.

Endorphins have a sedative and morphine type effect.

But one does not have to do something as extreme as a marathon to get such effect.

I know through decades of a moderate exercise regime and including carbs before bed,
will help with improving relaxation and sleep.... carbs help increase tryptophan and serotonin.

Endorphins, tryptophan and serotonin = good.

Posted By: memtb Re: People Who Run Marathons - 05/24/19
I ran 5 in about a 2 1/2 year period...... though only went under 3 hours once. I enjoyed the competition, and the folks you meet! I was fair running track when in HS, and needed something to fill the need for competition, when I quit racing motorcycles! Running helped fill the void! memtb
Posted By: deflave Re: People Who Run Marathons - 05/24/19
I’m not built for running.

Done a couple half’s but never did the real thing.
Posted By: UPhiker Re: People Who Run Marathons - 05/24/19
I was always a sprinter...growing up in a minority neighborhood was good training. smile My saying is "If I can't see the finish line from the start, I'm taking the car". Even now, in my late 50s, I still surprise some youngsters in 50yds.
Originally Posted by kid0917

If she can do 26 miles in 3-some hours, mostly walking. .. she must be doing some serious sprinting part of the time!
wink

I think it was a lot more than 3 hours.. idk but when I saw her she laughed and said she walks.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: People Who Run Marathons - 05/24/19
I've done some 1/2's.

Zero desire to ever run a full. Borderline retarded.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: People Who Run Marathons - 05/24/19

wink

I think it was a lot more than 3 hours.. idk but when I saw her she laughed and said she walks.

3 hours is a hell of a time for 26.2 miles. Hell, finishing is a big accomplishment. Most folks couldn't walk 10 miles, much less 26.
Originally Posted by MadMooner

wink

3 hours is a hell of a time for 26.2 miles. Hell, finishing is a big accomplishment. Most folks couldn't walk 10 miles, much less 26.

Half marathon sorry. Just thought it was funny because of all the talking she did.
Posted By: 117LBS Re: People Who Run Marathons - 05/24/19
I’ve run a few halves but the full is intimidating. In training about as far as I can keep the feet moving is the 20 mile mark

I've run one, Boston senior year of college. Figured it was famous, heart break hill etc. Thought it would be cool to say I ran Boston. 3:38 and never wanted to run another one. Couldn't walk for days and I was in pretty good shape for a 22 year old
Posted By: Ralphie Re: People Who Run Marathons - 05/24/19
If im running it means I’ve run out of ammo.
Posted By: comerade Re: People Who Run Marathons - 05/24/19
It takes a pile of discipline, sometimes a runner will prepare for a year.
I started running at 21 and I started because I couldn't quite keep up to a cousin while sheep hunting. It didn't happen the following year, I was in top shape
I am 61 now and still keep very fit and it would be impossible to hunt sheep if I wasn't. I don't run marathons but stay in year around shape.
I admire anyone who can run a 3 hour marathon.
I believe it still qualifies for Boston.
Posted By: JSTUART Re: People Who Run Marathons - 05/24/19
Originally Posted by 5sdad

Certainly not since God invented Toyota diesel engines..
Posted By: JOG Re: People Who Run Marathons - 05/24/19
I've done halfs after saying I never would, and I'll never do a full marathon either.
Posted By: slumlord Re: People Who Run Marathons - 05/24/19
Old German guy used to live next to at Ft Benning, he ran a lot of them. Ran 10-12 miles about every other day

About 5-8 in, he'd shît himself. Wipe his self all up with them undies and then hang em on a bush. Then drive back in next day and retrieve them.

He'd sometimes tell his wife where they were and have her go drive and get them.

Nasty fugger.

Posted By: JOG Re: People Who Run Marathons - 05/24/19
Getting out of bed to run at zero-dark-thirty is the easy part, the hard part is working it into every conversation for the rest of the day.
Originally Posted by deflave

Gawd,I know. What size hat do you wear?
Posted By: Bocajnala Re: People Who Run Marathons - 05/24/19
Originally Posted by JOG
Getting out of bed to run at zero-dark-thirty is the easy part, the hard part is working it into every conversation for the rest of the day.

That is the challenge.

I've done multiple Ultras. I enjoy the challenge and the adventure. I try to stay off the pavement and on the trails.

-Jake
Posted By: TWR Re: People Who Run Marathons - 05/24/19
I've done a few hall's and my daughter talked me into a full in 2016. The training we did together was one of the most memorable things I've done. I was in the best shape I'd been in my life even weighing in at 235 lbs. Race day, she got sick around mile 13 but I stuck with her and she persevered. Not a great time but we finished.

I need to do one more just to see.

And yes, my wife tells me I don't have to but I want to. Can't explain it.
Posted By: ol_mike Re: People Who Run Marathons - 05/24/19
Nothing better than LOTS of high impact sports - great for the entire body .
I ran for years- runners high - hooked on it - wish I had never did it .
Posted By: dan_oz Re: People Who Run Marathons - 05/24/19
Just in the last couple of minutes my brother in law texted to say he's catching a flight to Adelaide to run his 9th marathon.

Yesterday I heard about a fellow I work with - older than me - who has done quite a few marathons, completing a 100 km Ultra-Trail run through the Blue Mountains last weekend. Here's a diagram showing the cross-section of that one:

[Linked Image]

If you look closely you might notice that the finishing stretch is up a set of stairs, the Furber Steps. There are 951 steps in that stairway, and they are steep.

They are welcome to it.

Posted By: Bocajnala Re: People Who Run Marathons - 05/24/19
I'm online looking at races now smile

-Jake
Posted By: hanco Re: People Who Run Marathons - 05/24/19
I’ve finished 6 of them, probably why my knee hurts.
Posted By: Dawgin'it Re: People Who Run Marathons - 05/24/19
I've been known to have run a couple marathons myself in my younger days, usually in hip boots with one fish over my limit and the game wardens flashing lights over my left shoulder....
Posted By: deflave Re: People Who Run Marathons - 05/24/19
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors

Magnum.
Posted By: memtb Re: People Who Run Marathons - 05/24/19
For you boys that want to hunt Colorado.....while your there you could “work -in” the Leadville 100 miler. It starts in the valley and ends in Leadville....about 10,000 feet! The air is much “thinner” at that elevation.....less resistance to overcome! grin memtb
Running is a hobby like any other. But it has a bonus of getting you in great shape. Hasbeen
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors

Magnum.

I read Ron Jeremy used Velcro or duct tape.he was a dedicated marathoner.
Posted By: Windfall Re: People Who Run Marathons - 05/24/19
The doc said that you only have so many miles in your knees and you can use them up running or you can be walking around on your original ones come retirement age. The guy across the street is a runner and I'd see him around town all bent over struggling to stay upright as he plodded along such that I'd want to give him a lift back home. I told him once that running must be a lot like pounding your head against a wall because it feels so good when you quit.
Posted By: TWR Re: People Who Run Marathons - 05/24/19
A friend of mine uses this lawyer guy that would disagree with your doc, he just ran 7 marathons in 7 days at 76 years young. His name is Dan Little.
https://worldmarathonchallenge.com/the-event/
I considered it, and then I remembered how tired I get driving 26 miles and cracked open another brewski
Posted By: nighthawk Re: People Who Run Marathons - 05/24/19
People who run marathons - are nuts. End of story.

Not really. Army got me running and, after the hell of getting there, a couple miles in it started feeling good, uncommonly good. Had to limit to about 5 miles or I'd end up walking like Frankenstein, my body isn't configured for running.
Posted By: dodgefan Re: People Who Run Marathons - 05/24/19
I've never ran an actual marathon, but I've done Pikes Peak 3 times with a light pack in under 8hrs. I've also done a 25+ mile ruck march in around 7 hours.

Furthest I've ever ran was 12 miles and I had always planned on running a marathon one day. Now I just don't think it would be much fun.
Posted By: Toddly Re: People Who Run Marathons - 05/24/19
I get tired driving that far.
Posted By: kid0917 Re: People Who Run Marathons - 05/24/19
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit
I considered it, and then I remembered how tired I get driving 26 miles and cracked open another brewski

LOL except for the beer, I am right wicha sir.
5Ks are a long enough race for me, and I haven’t competed in one of those in a few years. I used to run 20-25 miles per week in 4-5 outings, hard to imagine doing it in one session. Respect to those that do

Gotten really busy and little lazy the last 2 years, only getting in two or three 3-mile runs a week, though I’d like to ramp it back up some
Posted By: fishnpbr Re: People Who Run Marathons - 05/25/19
Over the course of my 10 years active duty military I did 7 marathons. I'm 60 now and won't commit the time and don't have the desire to train for marathons. I still do a fair # of 5 and 6k runs though.
© 24hourcampfire