Home
Anyone not fishing in grizzly bear/mountain lion country carry while wearing chest waders? If so, which handgun and method of carry works for you? No offense to those in bear or lion country, but I'm not looking to strap a large caliber revolver across my chest if I can help it. smile

How about a small, lightweight auto or revolver simply placed in the outside zippered chest pocket of my waders?

Thanks.
El Paso Saddlery Tanker holster
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Concealed-...f8952c16a0aaa321c450d9ffdc1e90%7Ciid%3A1
Even in bear country I often carry some smallish pistol in an accessible pocket or inside the top of the wader in a clip-on holster.
Originally Posted by bobmn

That looks like a fine holster, but I would most likely leave it at home. I usually wear a vest loaded with fly boxes, tippet spools, leader wallet, etc., and having a gun and holster of that size under all of that other stuff seems like a recipe for me not wearing it and going without.
Can you put it in your underwear, so you can shoot your nut like the white trash guy managed to do??
Originally Posted by CoalCracker
How about a small, lightweight auto or revolver simply placed in the outside zippered chest pocket of my waders?

I've just threaded the holster onto my wader belt. I wear the Simms waist highs most of the time and it works out fine. My days of deep wading are over.
Hill People Gear Kit Bag. Good for a gun and other assorted stuff you want handy.

https://hillpeoplegear.com/Products/CategoryID/1
No offense to those in bear or lion country, but I'm not looking to strap a large caliber revolver across my chest if I can help it. smile

What I found was the most popular amongst the guides I worked with in Alaska's coastal brown bear country was a short barreled, pistol gripped 12 gauge slung over their back.

Seemed handier and much quicker than dickin' with a handgun, less need for accuracy to boot.

The bears we'd see that were at a distance or didn't come upon you as a complete surprise were never the issue.

What is your worry while fly fishing...two-legged varmints? Figure it out yet?
Originally Posted by Pugs

I've just threaded the holster onto my wader belt. I wear the Simms waist highs most of the time and it works out fine. My days of deep wading are over.

Thanks. I would prefer not to open carry, if possible. It's not uncommon for me to be fishing in places like state parks, along hiking and biking trails, in sight of residential areas, etc. Regardless of how adamant we are about our right to bear arms, there is no question that open carry can make other folks uneasy. I would rather just go about my business without drawing attention to myself.

Several years ago I hiked to a popular scenic spot along the Appalachian Trail in PA. I had been carrying a .357 revolver on my belt for two days prior on the hike, but decided to leave it in the vehicle that day. I'm glad I did. The overlook was crowded with Plain Sect folk, including many women and small children. I would've felt very out of place walking around with a firearm on my hip in plain view that day - like open carrying at Disney World. Some people who carry aren't bothered by such things, and that's great, but it's not for me.
Originally Posted by bearhuntr
What is your worry while fly fishing...two-legged varmints? Figure it out yet?

I'm not really worried much, but I do occasionally come across some sketchy-looking people while fishing. I've been fishing my entire life without carrying a weapon, and usually don't give it a second thought. Just considering options....

Art's advice seems to be what I'm leaning toward.
Anyone not fishing in grizzly bear/mountain lion country carry while wearing chest waders? If so, which handgun and method of carry works for you? No offense to those in bear or lion country, but I'm not looking to strap a large caliber revolver across my chest if I can help it. smile

Thanks.

Sounds like you figgered it out already. Minus the big carnivores, a pocket gun is fine I think. Nobody wants to get shot, even a little bit.

Here, thankfully, our constitutional carry allows open carry of defensive handguns while hiking, hunting or fishing. Hunting handguns must always be carried openly, however.

All kinds of characters walk the trails of my local WMA, due to its proximity to a former vacation community that now has mostly full-time residents, some of them pretty rough. I never go there without at least one firearm, two during hunting season.
I don't think a pistol on a cop's hip or a fisherman is going to scare anyone with a brain. I never open carry in town, but always in the forest or fishing. Never ever had any issues. I have goofy labs, so they incite bears, racoon, etc. I think people should see guns have a place literally.
Originally Posted by Terryk
I don't think a pistol on a cop's hip or a fisherman is going to scare anyone with a brain. I never open carry in town, but always in the forest or fishing. Never ever had any issues. I have goofy labs, so they incite bears, racoon, etc. I think people should see guns have a place literally.

Funny you mention that. Once, about 25 years ago or so, I saw a raccoon awkwardly bumbling through the forest in broad daylight. Luckily, he was on the opposite side of the stream and didn't seem to notice me. There were no smartphones or Internet back then. Otherwise, I would've created a post here on the Campfire - "How to Dispatch a Rabid Raccoon while Wearing Waders without a Weapon."
Originally Posted by nimrod1949
Hill People Gear Kit Bag. Good for a gun and other assorted stuff you want handy.

+1 on this. Works great and easy access....
Originally Posted by SGT26
Originally Posted by nimrod1949

+1 on this. Works great and easy access....

It looks to be just a bit too much extra going on while wearing the waders and fishing vest. The waders already have suspenders, and the vest has all sorts of tools and tippet spools hanging from it. Adding another harness and bag in the same area seems like a PIA.

When I am fishing familiar waters, I can get away with a minimal amount of gear, and the HPG bag would probably work. However, I don't fish nearly often enough to get "dialed in", so I end up carrying too much stuff "just in case". Dry fly collection, nymph collection, streamers, terrestrials, sink tips, etc.
This is what I use. https://www.diamonddcustomleather.com/products/guides-choice-chest-holster
I just wear pants under my waders and carry iwb per usual. Not the fastest to get to but it’s there and secure.
Buy an LCR in 22LR or .38 Special.

Put in the available pocket.
Originally Posted by deflave

thats what i do with my sp101. pocket on the inside of the chest.
I like my sp101 in a Desantis Gunhide pocket holster.

You could put it in any pocket you wanted then.

Sounds like a good option. Maybe inside a pocket holster like a Mika's?

Mika's Pocket Holsters

I wear a belt around the chest of my waders, wouldn’t be easy accessing a gun in my pocket.
I would go with the Kenai Holster from Gunfighters Inc. I assume you are wearing chest waders and with those this holster could ride under them but still be accessible from the top while staying concealed to others on the water.

https://gunfightersinc.com/kenai-chest-holster/
Told this story before..... Russian River, reds are running and l am heading up river from the camp ground..... big bend in the river so I cut across this big meadow covered with waist high grass.... breezy day.... the I notice that the wind blown grass pattern in front of me doesn’t seem right.... then a Grizzly just stood up.... about 25 feet or so away....and there I stand, dumbass that I am.... my left hand is mt and my right hand is filled with my fly rod......

I had a 44 in a chest pocket type holster inside my waders.....aw s#*#..... I just stood there ....he just stood there..... seemed like two or three hours....and then he dropped down and ambled off.

On my next trip to Alaska, I carried a Glock 40 cal in a shoulder holster.

I now carry a 357 in the wader chest pocket. Prolly go with the 357 on the next trip.

Edit to add: yup, that Kenai chest holster looks pretty good.

Originally Posted by stxhunter

thats what i do with my sp101. pocket on the inside of the chest.

^^^This^^^

S&W Airweight 38sp in the top cheat pocket of my waders when not in bear country. And my Sig P365 down in my pants pocket.

Thanks.

I’m out there all the time, fishing in and around Yellowstone. I never carry any firearm and don’t see a real need. Chances of getting mauled by a bear are so slim, you might fear a meteor attack more.

Bow hunting in the fall is another story, I wouldn’t be without a handgun and bear spray.

Bear encounters are extremely rare in the lower 48....

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fatal_bear_attacks_in_North_America
Originally Posted by shrapnel

Thanks.

I’m out there all the time, fishing in and around Yellowstone. I never carry any firearm and don’t see a real need. Chances of getting mauled by a bear are so slim, you might fear a meteor attack more.

Bow hunting in the fall is another story, I wouldn’t be without a handgun and bear spray.

Bears are one of the least of my concerns. Heroin addicts and meth-heads, along with their obligatory pit bull companions are more of a concern. With that said, I am completely at ease while fishing unarmed.

I used to be comfortable with my odds in an old-fashioned donnybrook, but I ain't getting any younger and the rules of engagement aren't what they used to be, either.

Mika's Pocket Holsters

I think people should do what makes them most comfortable but a DAO revolver doesn't require any sort of holster.

Bears are one of the least of my concerns. Heroin addicts and meth-heads, along with their obligatory pit bull companions are more of a concern. With that said, I am completely at ease while fishing unarmed.

I used to be comfortable with my odds in an old-fashioned donnybrook, but I ain't getting any younger and the rules of engagement aren't what they used to be, either.

You are wise.

Carry.
Originally Posted by bobmn

This with a Glock 20 or 329 PD. its right there at the top. Just grab and go if needed, not as quickly as on the outside of the waders, but it protects the gun some.

I have a kenai type holster for the 460 Rowland, but most of the time I feel that gun is pretty big, that it packs a lot of punches.

Mika's Pocket Holsters

I think people should do what makes them most comfortable but a DAO revolver doesn't require any sort of holster.

Keeps em pointed down.
I carry a little 25 auto in my hip wader boot nice and concealed I don’t need no damn bear knowing I’m carrying anything!
Originally Posted by 79S
I carry a little 25 auto in my hip wader boot nice and concealed I don’t need no damn bear knowing I’m carrying anything!

Do you find that particular handgun to be reliable? Honestly, I've not heard good things about such guns, but I don't know much about them.
Not sure which 25 auto he's referring to but the Berrettas are very reliable. And awesome.

If you want something similar but more practical get an LCP. They're unbeatable. But you will want a holster for one of those.
Originally Posted by shrapnel

Thanks.

Sounds like fishing isn’t your problem, it’s your choice of where you fish. The best view of your fishing spot should be in your rear view mirror as you head West...
Ya. I forgot that Beretta was in that market. I was thinking of the sub-$100 guns from my youth like Raven Arms and Jennings. Jam-o-matics....which is better than a slide in the face.
the el paso tanker looks nice, my luck I would get it wet, so kydex is on my list.
[/quote]
Sounds like fishing isn’t your problem, it’s your choice of where you fish. The best view of your fishing spot should be in your rear view mirror as you head West...
[/quote]

I can't argue with that, but many fishing spots in PA aren't all that bad. Some of the scenery here would rival many other places, albeit much different than the west. Being a heavily-populated state, there is no getting around running into folks from all walks of life while out and about in the outdoors, unless I drive five hours one way to the Allegheny National Forest or some similar place.

I could drop a few pics of some nice looking fishing spots, but I haven't recovered from the Photobucket fiasco of several years ago.

ETA: See what I mean? I can't even work the quote function properly.
Not sure which 25 auto he's referring to but the Berrettas are very reliable. And awesome.

If you want something similar but more practical get an LCP. They're unbeatable. But you will want a holster for one of those.

I just stuff inside my sock, only problem I have to take my waders off to get to it..
I have often a carried a Glock 36 in .45 ACP in an Uncle Mike's fanny pack inside my waders. I generally carry chamber empty while wading. It's a pretty comfortable setup.
I think the new Glock 48 would meet your needs. Light weight, full hand gun grip, 4" barrel and holds 10 rounds. I have a bunch of hand guns both big and small and revolvers and semi auto's, It seems the ones I carry the most in town are a Glock 43 9mm and a S&W .38 Special Mod. 442. It has no exposed hammer and the alloy frame is light weight. The Glock 43 is easier to shoot fast then the revolver and quicker to reload.

With some good 124 grain +P loads like a deep penetrating Hornady XTP you could dispatch a cougar and change a black bears mind in a hurry. The Glock should be in a holster if chambered and carry a spare mag.

I take them every where but the court house and the school. The elders and pastors at my church are glad me and a few others carry.

Get on You Tube and watch Taran Butler shoot a Glock 43, wowser. He's the one who trains Keanu Reeves for the John Wick movies and Reeves and his wife are shooters. He also makes what I think are the best plus 2 mag extensions for a Glock 43. But, with the Glock 48 one already has 10 rounds.

I often carry a S&W .44 Mountain Gun in a chest rig when on a ATV and that is the most comfortable for a heavy hand gun. I spent many years with a duty belt and a 1911 Govt. Mod. and also carried it and a Browning Hi Power concealed. I like Kramer Horse Hide Holsters very much for belt carry whether IWB or OWB and Tulster Kydex holsters.

Alaska has changed in the 53 years I have been here, but guns are still every where and I see open carry about every time I go to town. I'm talking Walmart, 3 Bears, Safeway, etc. I like it, except when I believe the person carrying is showing the gun on purpose to be a cool bad ass. But, at least I can see they are armed. When I carry concealed no one knows it unless they know me. I'm not trying to impress any one, just don't want to be some psycho dirt bags victim.
Glock 20 10mm for pissing off bears.
© 24hourcampfire