Home

A 96-year-old World War II veteran rose from his wheelchair at the the U.S. Women’s National Team game against Mexico on Sunday, and played a stirring rendition of the Star-Spangled Banner on his harmonica.

Pete DuPre’, also known as “Harmonica Pete,” wore a WWII veteran hat and Team USA soccer shirt. After playing the national anthem, DuPre’ smiled and waved to the crowd at Red Bull Arena in Harrison, New Jersey, before returning to his wheelchair.

“The audience grew respectably silent throughout the majority of the expertly carried-out song, but were unable to contain their cheers as the last bars played,” People magazine reported.

According to a statement from the USWNT via NJ.com, “During WWII, DuPré served as a medic in the 114th General Hospital Unit in Kidderminster, England. At age 17, both of his parents had already died, making him the acting patriarch of a five-person family.

“Within a year, Pete had enlisted in the Army serving three years overseas during which time he treated wounded servicemen from all areas of Europe.”

The U.S. women will play their first World Cup game on June 11th when they take on Thailand in Reims, France.

https://www.breitbart.com/sports/20...wii-vet-plays-national-anthem-harmonica/
God bless that guy....... cool smile

Great job Pete!
Something very haunting about a lonesome harmonica. Man....that will well you up won't it? Army Medic. Three years over seas. Parentless at 17. Good Lord Ihope I never forget how I have been sheltered.

God bless those guys.
Bent, but not broken. Rendered perfectly and most moving.
It was absolutely perfect!

May god bless this great warrior with many more years.
Thank you very much for posting that. I saw a very short clip of it on TV but not the entire thing. Also made me realize all the WW2 vets I grew up around and was raised by are all gone now. My father, uncles, teachers, scoutmasters, etc. etc....... They really were the "greatest generation" that I've ever known. God bless 'em all.
Very nice!
Yes sir !
Originally Posted by kenjs1
Something very haunting about a lonesome harmonica. Man....that will well you up won't it? Army Medic. Three years over seas. Parentless at 17. Good Lord Ihope I never forget how I have been sheltered.

God bless those guys.
Heard about this today on the radio news coming home from Potlandia...

They played a short part of his playing...

couldn't wait to get home and hear it...

and a fellow Army Medic.... what's not to love...

way to go Pete!
© 24hourcampfire