Home
A rock chuck has taken up residence under a shed. Normally that wouldn't be a problem but I have watermelon and cantaloupe plants about ready to transplant and he's right near my patch. He can wipe out my entire patch in 1 meal. So, he's gotta go.
It's tricky getting a shot where he is. I have to get lined up just right because of buildings. He seems to watch the house and if he sees any movement, he ducks for cover. Shooting him is the most satisfying but I might have to resort to poison. What works on chucks?

In case you didn't know...a rock chuck is a yellow bellied marmot, a smaller cousin of the eastern wood chuck. They're called that because they love to hang out in rock piles and we have LOTS of those around here.
Log off and don’t come back until the job is done.

Or use a 220 conibear...
Borow someone's Drahthaar.......
Originally Posted by deflave

Or use a 220 conibear...

Conibear!

It's working, while your not.
Like a wife or girlfriend!
Sounds like his days are numbered.
Go get him!!
Time for a ground blind. Make sure you sneak in before first light. No smoking. If it's in range of your wifi send updates with video.
What's the best cover scent when hunting small furry pests?
Gonna need pics of the condemned after the deed is done!!!
Hahaha!!!
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck

Or use a 220 conibear...

Conibear!

Sure she is, she’s the housewife after all.
Rock Chuck: I say let him live and protect the crops with a fence of some kind.
Rock Chucks are fascinating creatures to watch.
I had one in my yard here in SW Montana a few years ago and I was very sad when he moved off.
He was much more fun to watch come and go from under my shed than the feral cats who now live there.
I was sad when that sole Rock Chuck left my property.
I have had all manner of creatures visit and live in my yard including Ground Squirrels, Badgers, Cottontail Rabbits, Weasels, Jack Rabbits, Porcupines, Skunks, Fox, Antelope, Mule Deer, Whitetail Deer and that one time the Rock Chuck.
I say let'em live and enjoy watching him go about his business.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Rock Chuck gunning for a rock chuck. There's something vaguely unsettling about that. grin
Once knew an old farmer who poisoned eastern woodchucks that were in places he didn't wish to shoot 'em. Except I can't recall what he was using for bait or what kind of poison was used. Away from the outbuildings and equipment a 22lr will take out a 'chuck with a head shot. That'll work out to about 50 yards. No experience with rock chucks but I'd bet a 22lr or 17hmr would be fine as long as there's a safe shot available and do head shots. I like that ground blind idea. I used to cull woodchucks on my buddies small meadow by hiding in the woods along side it. Shot chucks all the way out to maybe 125 yards. Most were 50 yds. or less. Beyond that out to 125 yds I used my 22 Hornet.
I’m a big fan of the .410 when shooting yard chucks.
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
A rock chuck has taken up residence under a shed. Normally that wouldn't be a problem but I have watermelon and cantaloupe plants about ready to transplant and he's right near my patch. He can wipe out my entire patch in 1 meal. So, he's gotta go.
It's tricky getting a shot where he is. I have to get lined up just right because of buildings. He seems to watch the house and if he sees any movement, he ducks for cover. Shooting him is the most satisfying but I might have to resort to poison. What works on chucks?

In case you didn't know...a rock chuck is a yellow bellied marmot, a smaller cousin of the eastern wood chuck. They're called that because they love to hang out in rock piles and we have LOTS of those around here.

SMOKE HIM TJ.
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
I had one in my yard here in SW Montana a few years ago and I was very sad when he moved off.
He was much more fun to watch come and go from under my shed than the feral cats who now live there.
I have had all manner of creatures visit and live in my yard including Ground Squirrels, Badgers, Cottontail Rabbits, Weasels, Jack Rabbits, Porcupines, Skunks, Fox, Antelope, Mule Deer, Whitetail Deer and that one time the Rock Chuck.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

No way I'd allow a rockchuck to live on my property near buildings or fences. Those critters will tunnel under or into whatever they want. They are notorious for undermining structures enough to cause damage and/or reach their desired target. I watched it going on for years at work in a location where no one was controlling them. Left unchecked, it just gets worse all the time. Cats, OTOH, do not dig tunnels. Feral cats are just as fair a target IMO, but at least don't cause structural damage or eat your garden.

We eliminated our rockchuck and feral cat issues here with a weaponized dachshund. smile
I could buy a lot of watermelons for what a fence would cost. He's gonna die. Do gopher bombs get hot when they go off? I could toss one under there and wait with a shotgun but not if they can start a fire. I haven't used them before.
Originally Posted by Tom264
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck

Or use a 220 conibear...

Conibear!

Sure she is, she’s the housewife after all.

It’s hilarious to watch you try.

LMAO.

Low IQ fugking Hoosier.

VarmintGuy

No way

Apply the Pol Pot philosphy.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Rock Chuck...Catch your Rock Chuck and send it to VG.

He’s apparently lost the ability to kill varmints.

New name...VarmintWatcher. 😬😎
i use a big leg hold trap on the groundhogs too close to shoot. i check it multiple times a day. i'll tell ya what though, when they run the chain down the hole they are tough to get out. years ago when my boys were little wee, they saw me reach down a hole and empty my pistol in the ass end of one that i put too long of a chain on. when i pulled that thing out of the hole they about schit. it was almost as big as them.
Can't help you with whacking it in a suburban setting. But I do know that they explode like a bucket of red paint when you whack one with a 22-250 in the rim rocks.
I want this on video all I can think about is that movie caddy shack. rock chuck verses rock chuck grin
In all seriousness, get ten pounds of dry ice from Winco, make sure the bugger is in the hole, then put in the dry ice and fill in the hole.

The end.
I get a family of goundhogs under my shed every year or 2. The shed happens to be right at 50 yards from the back of the house. So I picked up some CCI quiet 22's (like the old CB caps), and sighted one of the .22's in at 50 yards with them.

So now, If I happen to see one of the little buggers out by the shed, I go upstairs, open the window, rest the forend of the rifle on the windowsill, and scratch one groundhog.

They are so quiet out of that rifle, that the sound of the bullet hitting the critter in the noggin is about as loud as the rifle firing. Shot 4 last year, 3 of them 2 years prior. Very effective, I've never had to shoot one a second time.
A # 1.5 coil spring in the burrow entrance is very effective.
I killed dozens in my youth by simply parking near the side they exit with a .22 Hornet, a bad ass cassette tape, and a case of Budweiser.

Never got out of the truck.

They'll come out every evening. Guaranteed.
Whatever you do excercise extreme caution. I've been charged by a wounded woodchuck in a "belly crawl only" crawl space. After the first wounding shot I emptied a mag from a Buck Mark without success. I warded off the attack with a swift backhand. It then headed for cover (likely planning an ambush like a Cape buffalo) wihile I endured tense moments of hollering for the wife to drop me down some more ammo. A finisher finally ended the ordeal relatively quietly. Use enough gun!
Hey guys, I just killed a rock chuck, mean little bastard. I think he was attracted by my wife's azaleas. Those flowers have to go.
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by sawbuck
Hey guys, I just killed a rock chuck, mean little bastard. I think he was attracted by my wife's azaleas. Those flowers have to go.
[Linked Image]

You guys ain't gonna let up on the birthday boy, eh? laugh
Is he det yet?
Here's one of his near relatives.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by 1minute
Here's one of his near relatives.

[Linked Image]

That's almost the exact sight picture I had of one at 100 yds, right before I put a 22lr right in its mouth. Craziest thing....it was DRT, and it took a while to figure out exactly where I hit.
[Linked Image]

Nice dig!!!!!
Have fun while ya still have the time.
Live each and everyday to its fullest.
Enjoy the sunset and look forward to sunrise.

Best wishes...

Jk ...... grin
grin
Originally Posted by renegade50
[Linked Image]

Nice dig!!!!!
Have fun while ya still have the time.
Live each and everyday to its fullest.
Enjoy the sunset and look forward to sunrise.

Best wishes...

Jk ...... grin

What I want to know, is did he have that photo on file.....or did he just step outside and make the kill?
Google!
I'm going on a squatch hunt with my co2 pistol out behind the house.

Please one and all forgive me if I mis ID it as a chupacabra or something.

Hahaha!!
Maybe I just need to get a new hat.

[Linked Image]
Poison them just like you would a rat . Fills holes with gravel every chance you get .
Originally Posted by renegade50

There ya go! RC just needs to get the mayor of Filer to put the little bugger in the truck. laugh
It is not what they do to gardens but what they do to building.
Took my foreman for a ride after work on a farm I have permission to hunt Friday afternoon...set him up with a Dog Gone bag off the hood at 49 yds with the .25 Benjamin Marauder..head shot. Nite nite ! [Linked Image]
Originally Posted by FreeMe
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

No way I'd allow a rockchuck to live on my property near buildings or fences. Those critters will tunnel under or into whatever they want. They are notorious for undermining structures enough to cause damage and/or reach their desired target. I watched it going on for years at work in a location where no one was controlling them. Left unchecked, it just gets worse all the time. Cats, OTOH, do not dig tunnels. Feral cats are just as fair a target IMO, but at least don't cause structural damage or eat your garden.

We eliminated our rockchuck and feral cat issues here with a weaponized dachshund. smile

[Linked Image]
Finally. He disappeared completely for almost 2 weeks. He was back this morning and he got careless. He wasn't in a safe spot to use my 22-250 but I got him at 15 yds with a 22LR.
My watermelons are safe.

[Linked Image]
I love it when a plan comes together.
Is there a chinee buffet anywhere nearby?

General tso chiggum right there.
Last week at our place in PA. 152 yards. 22 hornet..
[Linked Image]
I like it when I can catch the little buggers on all fours looking at me. A 60 gr hornady from the 22-250 to the base of the throat will drop them back on the ground a few feet back and completely gutted.

If a guy wanted to take a minute to pull the hide off, they would be ready to bbq.
Picked off an elusive groundhog an hour ago. My little killer chased it out onto my bulkhead piling. 22lr and he dropped into the water. Didn’t even have to wash my hands. It was a good day
Details on the gun Jorge?

Originally Posted by slumlord
Is there a chinee buffet anywhere nearby?

General tso chiggum right there.
Now hang his corpse near the garden as a warning to the rest of the little freeloaders.
Make the perimeter like the planet of the apes forbidden zone.
Originally Posted by hunter4623
Details on the gun Jorge?

Browning micro medallion. Purchased in 1996. HORNADY 33gr V Max. Never an exit hole and DRT. I bet I've killed a couple of dozen over the years with this gun.
Pretty gun. Thanks for the info
© 24hourcampfire