Home

I got up at 4:00 A.M. to go shoot prairie dogs with BWalker. On the way east, I had to stop and take a picture, this could be the best sunrise I have ever seen...

[Linked Image]
Yowza. That is pretty.
Beautiful. Thank you
Spectular!
Big Sky Country is not just some marketing slogan.
Could have been better, there's a whole bunch of hill in the way.
Originally Posted by grouseman
Could have been better, there's a whole bunch of hill in the way.

You are still using a Kodak Instamatic, aren't you?
Nice pic, but who the heck gets up at 4:00 AM to shoot pdogs? Elk ,yes, pdogs????

That's like two hours after the tavern closes laugh
Gorgeous....... You caught it at that very short time span when the sun's just peeking over the horizon, ( hill in the way on this one), and the clouds are high enough so that the suns rays are almost coming at the clouds from beneath. I sometimes take sunrise photos on Lake Ontario where it's water as far as the eye can see, I've been to Montana and that "big sky" analogy fits in here on miles of open water, too. Sometimes get great shots before the sun itself breaks the wide, flat horizon which is just flat water with no hills or land visible. It's applicable at sunset also. Try it again some morning or evening where you can see for miles and have a relatively flat horizon, ( depends on the clouds, too ), You might even get a better one if you catch it in that narrow time limit. I call it a "photogenic sky". Get any p.d.'s ?
Very nice!

One of the best sunrises I have seen was camping on the shores of Fort Peck. It was amazing.
Sunrise and sunsets are such pretty times of the day and that pic is stunning.Thanks

That is special, because it's still dark here at 4 a.m.

Good work.
Originally Posted by 22250rem
Gorgeous....... You caught it at that very short time span when the sun's just peeking over the horizon, ( hill in the way on this one), and the clouds are high enough so that the suns rays are almost coming at the clouds from beneath. I sometimes take sunrise photos on Lake Ontario where it's water as far as the eye can see, I've been to Montana and that "big sky" analogy fits in here on miles of open water, too. Sometimes get great shots before the sun itself breaks the wide, flat horizon which is just flat water with no hills or land visible. It's applicable at sunset also. Try it again some morning or evening where you can see for miles and have a relatively flat horizon, ( depends on the clouds, too ), You might even get a better one if you catch it in that narrow time limit. I call it a "photogenic sky". Get any p.d.'s ?

I don’t think many people realize what a narrow window of opportunity there is in a picture like that. I had to dynamite the brakes, then get in a position to frame the shot with the sun rays and clouds where everything aligns.

Without the hill, you get no perspective of the sky and clouds to give the best dimensions for depth of field and still get the sun to reflect on both the top and bottoms of the clouds. Within 1 minute the photo was not the same and of no real value for it’s photographic potential...
Thanks for posting.

RS
Spectacular
Paradise
Great pic Shrap.

Makes me wish I'd have gotten my ass up earlier this a.m.
Awesome pic!
Caught a good one at the deer lease in Burnet Texas looking into Lake Buchanan. Sun was going down.

[Linked Image]
The good Lord knows how to color a sky.Great pic.
Amazing
Great picture. At first glance my first thought was a Charlie Russell painting.
Originally Posted by WestMont
Great picture. At first glance my first thought was a Charlie Russell painting.

My thoughts exactly. The clouds appear as you would see them in a C. M. Russell painting, but the detail of the timber on the hilltop reveal the image is a photograph...
I miss Montana . . . .

I get up pretty early to go after prairie dogs myself

RJ

Although not MT...but Utah

early morning 'yote hunt some years ago

Book Cliffs on distant horizon

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by hanco
Caught a good one at the deer lease in Burnet Texas looking into Lake Buchanan. Sun was going down.

[Linked Image]

If I lived in Texas I'd be praying the sun didn't come up.
shrapnel,
I walk a few miles in the hills most mornings of the week, and see many sunrises, and yours is probably as good as I have seen!

How far east do you go to hunt p-dogs?

Ken
A wee bit different kind of Utah sunrise...

[Linked Image]

It was -15° in that fog. I wanted to take a second shot, but the cold killed the camera battery after just one.
Truly gorgeous! Thanks.

Eastern MT is like that. ;-{>8

And, CM Russell was a true genius. His brilliance is under appreciated outside the west. He captured it ALL.
pic is beautiful no doubt does no justice to actually being there....
Originally Posted by kennymauser
shrapnel,
I walk a few miles in the hills most mornings of the week, and see many sunrises, and yours is probably as good as I have seen!

How far east do you go to hunt p-dogs?

Ken

That sunrise wasn't far from you. I went another 100 miles east to get to the dogs...
© 24hourcampfire