Home
Posted By: andymick32 Safe won’t open... - 06/17/19
I have a cheap stack-on 14 gun safe. Went to open it today and the key lock won’t turn. Tried lock lube and tapping with rubber mallet, no luck. It’s bolted to wall too. Any suggestions??
Posted By: RIO7 Re: Safe won’t open... - 06/17/19
Call a lock smith Rio7
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Safe won’t open... - 06/17/19
Hope this isn't insulting, but have you tried pushing in on the door while turning the key?
Posted By: Kyhilljack Re: Safe won’t open... - 06/17/19
BFH
Posted By: renegade50 Re: Safe won’t open... - 06/17/19
Call slumlords cousin.
He prefers to work at night though.
Posted By: hanco Re: Safe won’t open... - 06/17/19
Turn and shake the SOB
Posted By: Salty303 Re: Safe won’t open... - 06/17/19
Stack on POS. Yeah I got one. I've had issues stuffing too many guns in cases in there, one shifts forward blocking the lever that pivots on the keyed lock. Dead in the water. Like hanco says shake it around maybe lay it on its back and see..
Posted By: HilhamHawk Re: Safe won’t open... - 06/17/19
Try a can opener.........
Posted By: Salty303 Re: Safe won’t open... - 06/17/19
Oh wait, you said its bolted to the wall. That don't help.
Posted By: Higginez Re: Safe won’t open... - 06/17/19
Call a plumber.

No. Wait. Call a blacksmith.

Carpenter maybe?

I think they all work on locks.
Posted By: andymick32 Re: Safe won’t open... - 06/17/19
Tried shaking, lifting door, hitting with mallet. No luck
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Safe won’t open... - 06/17/19
cut off wheel.
A little C4
Posted By: Higginez Re: Safe won’t open... - 06/17/19
Electrician?
Posted By: Springcove Re: Safe won’t open... - 06/17/19
Sawzall
Posted By: RJL53 Re: Safe won’t open... - 06/17/19
You are now reaping the savings of buying a cheap safe. Now go get a real safe and get rid of that erector set toy.
Posted By: sawbuck Re: Safe won’t open... - 06/17/19
Plastique! grin
Posted By: kellory Re: Safe won’t open... - 06/17/19
Worse case scenario, drill out the lock where the key goes in, with a 1/4" drill bit. When the pins are drilled, the lock will turn as if it were a key there.
If that doesn't do the trick, then yes, something has shifted inside to block the lock mechanism from turning. Then you are slicing through the exposed front door with a cutoff wheel, and replacing that $100.00 gun locker. (Thought about getting one of those myself.) Fits between the studs in the 14&1/2" stud core space.
Posted By: Morewood Re: Safe won’t open... - 06/18/19
Originally Posted by stxhunter
cut off wheel.

Yup. Diamond blade. And a face mask.

Done deal. Try not to set the carpet on fire.
Posted By: hanco Re: Safe won’t open... - 06/18/19
I think you need a new safe!
Posted By: Texczech Re: Safe won’t open... - 06/18/19
Originally Posted by Salty303
Stack on POS. Yeah I got one. I've had issues stuffing too many guns in cases in there, one shifts forward blocking the lever that pivots on the keyed lock. Dead in the water. Like hanco says shake it around maybe lay it on its back and see..

This is the way to go. I've had the same problem putting to many guns in at a time.
Posted By: Higginez Re: Safe won’t open... - 06/18/19
Roofer.

Call a roofer.
Posted By: kellory Re: Safe won’t open... - 06/18/19
Drill the lock before cutting. The lock is replaceable.
Posted By: Barney_Fife Re: Safe won’t open... - 06/18/19
1/8” pilot hole followed by a larger bits until it ain’t no more.
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: Safe won’t open... - 06/18/19
An 8 pound splitting maul will open it right up. Axe me how I know.
Posted By: andymick32 Re: Safe won’t open... - 06/18/19
Called stack on. They said they can send me new lock for $25 and instructions on how to drill it out. Of course I have to pay since it’s older than a year. Get what you pay for...
Posted By: Higginez Re: Safe won’t open... - 06/18/19
Cheaper than a painter.
Posted By: NoDak Re: Safe won’t open... - 06/18/19
How about some black powder and a match? Just kidding.

Maybe contact your insurance company and ask what's covered. Locksmith? Or getting in no matter what.
Posted By: rem141r Re: Safe won’t open... - 06/18/19
smash it with a hammer while screaming and crying in frustrated rage.
Posted By: old_willys Re: Safe won’t open... - 06/18/19
must be the new child proof locks
Posted By: Dixie_Dude Re: Safe won’t open... - 06/18/19
Had an old one until I got a big safe. Yes guns in gun cases, slings, etc, can stop the lock from turning the locking levers. Tilting it on it's back can solve this problem. Even if you drill out the lock, you still might not be able to turn it enough to get by what is blocking it.

If you have that many guns in there, a big safe is better. Also gives you room to put important papers in there, as well as coin collections, jewelry, extra ammo, etc. Less worry about someone stealing. They are also fire retardant, so if they get a house fire out within the time the safe says it is safe, like 30-45 minutes, your guns will be ok. I've seen big safes still standing after a tornado when the house is blown away.
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: Safe won’t open... - 06/18/19
Originally Posted by andymick32
Called stack on. They said they can send me new lock for $25 and instructions on how to drill it out. Of course I have to pay since it’s older than a year. Get what you pay for...

How much for just the directions?
Originally Posted by FieldGrade

Free, I already gave 'em.
Posted By: nighthawk Re: Safe won’t open... - 06/18/19
Don't call Butch.

Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: Safe won’t open... - 06/18/19
I have a Cannon brand safe, which 20 years ago was $600 at Academy. It’s all mechanical, nothing electric at all. Simple dial like an oversized high school locker lock, which it prob’ly is. OTOH them high school locker locks can last for decades.

I imagine it ain’t that difficult to defeat, but would prob’ly defeat your average teenage burglar.

I also have a Stack On cabinet, lost the key, gonna drill it out as suggested here. Only thing in there is extra ammo back when we was all peepers.
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
I have a Cannon brand safe, which 20 years ago was $600 at Academy. It’s all mechanical, nothing electric at all. Simple dial like an oversized high school locker lock, which it prob’ly is. OTOH them high school locker locks can last for decades.

I imagine it ain’t that difficult to defeat, but would prob’ly defeat your average teenage burglar.

I also have a Stack On cabinet, lost the key, gonna drill it out as suggested here. Only thing in there is extra ammo back when we was all peepers.

If there is the chance of setting the ammo alight, with sparks from drilling or cutting, I might suggest a flat bar and hammer to pry the door apart at the latches. Of course it would no longer be a locker, but it might be safer.
Posted By: mtnsnake Re: Safe won’t open... - 06/18/19
locksmith or torch
Originally Posted by mtnsnake
locksmith or torch

I use a smoke wrench daily, it's the wrong tool for opening a safe with anything of value inside.
Someone tried that with a stolen ATM machine, burned up all the cash, and never did get inside.
Posted By: luv2safari Re: Safe won’t open... - 06/18/19
I had the same problem with a cabinet like yours. I beat on the door HARD with a rubber mallet near the latch while turning the key hard. It finally bounced the offending gun enough that the long inside latch broke free. Keep pounding and turning.
Posted By: Whttail_in_MT Re: Safe won’t open... - 06/18/19

Only thing in there is extra ammo back when we was all peepers.

Speak for yourself. I've never been a peeper.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Safe won’t open... - 06/18/19
Years ago we had an office safe that quit opening. It was an antique and all we had in it was some blank checks and a little petty cash. One day I turned the handle and it turned but the door didn't open. A locksmith couldn't figure it out. I finally put a cutoff blade in a circular saw and went to work. There was a vertical bar in the door with 3 cross bolts that went into the frame. There was a bar bolted between the handle and the vertical bar. The bolt had come loose so the handle was pulling on nothing. No amount of drilling or lock picking would have opened it. Only a saw would do it. The locksmith fixed the mechanism and had a welder patch my hole and paint it. All was good.
Posted By: luv2safari Re: Safe won’t open... - 06/18/19
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT

BS...

You're just throwing a smoke screen to fool the DHS and FBI. Fess-up.
Posted By: joken2 Re: Safe won’t open... - 06/18/19

Originally Posted by kellory
locksmith or torch

I use a smoke wrench daily, it's the wrong tool for opening a safe with anything of value inside.
Someone tried that with a stolen ATM machine, burned up all the cash, and never did get inside.

I don't believe I'd be using a cutting torch if there's anything of much value or value to you personally in the safe as the heat build up inside can get pretty intense and ruin it. I've seen the results of where thieves tried a cutting torch to cut through a metal clad locker type ATM safe once and failed but the heat buildup inside from the torch charred much of the cash and melted pretty much anything that would melt.
Posted By: persiandog Re: Safe won’t open... - 06/18/19
i saw it on discovery channel ,it will open quickly if you urinate on it and wait overnight .

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/fact-or-fiction-urinating/
Posted By: Razz Re: Safe won’t open... - 06/18/19
Unplug it, wait 10 seconds and then plug it back in. Seems to work for everything else around here.
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: Safe won’t open... - 06/18/19
Originally Posted by luv2safari
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT

BS...

You're just throwing a smoke screen to fool the DHS and FBI. Fess-up.

LOL, fuggin iPhone.
Posted By: andymick32 Re: Safe won’t open... - 06/18/19
Welp, I shook the bastard as much as I could while I turned the key. Tried this 5 different times throughout the night and wahla, she opened up. I think a gun got in the way. Working again as normal. Still think I’ll be upgrading soon.
Posted By: JohnnyLoco Re: Safe won’t open... - 06/18/19
Originally Posted by stxhunter
cut off wheel.

The 25 or 60 second version?
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Safe won’t open... - 06/18/19
i always buy several.
Posted By: mtnsnake Re: Safe won’t open... - 06/18/19
Cold hydrogen torch.
Posted By: kingston Re: Safe won’t open... - 06/18/19
Originally Posted by FieldGrade

LMAO!
locksmith or torch

We call them gas wrenches and are taught, if they’re smoking, your doing something wrong.
Originally Posted by kingston
locksmith or torch

We call them gas wrenches and are taught, if they’re smoking, your doing something wrong.

That's because a clean , balances torch does not smoke, but what it heats, does. Hence "smoke wrench".
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Safe won’t open... - 06/18/19
locksmith or torch

Hey....did youse guys notice that Kingston made a post??
Posted By: joken2 Re: Safe won’t open... - 06/18/19

Welp, I shook the bastard as much as I could while I turned the key. Tried this 5 different times throughout the night and wahla, she opened up. I think a gun got in the way. Working again as normal. Still think I’ll be upgrading soon.

Good! You might want to consider securing any that could do the same again with maybe some bungee cords or the like until you upgrade safes.
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
locksmith or torch

Hey....did youse guys notice that Kingston made a post??

Check the classifieds.

I Google “how to open a safe” and up pops WikiKellory on the 24HCF. WikiKellory needs a YouTube Channel.
Posted By: mark shubert Re: Safe won’t open... - 06/19/19
On those thin metal jobs - a hammer and a screwdriver - then tin snips!
If it comes to that. Shakin' & twistin' save some damage, though! smile
Posted By: slumlord Re: Safe won’t open... - 06/19/19
New Flash

Campfire Update

Public Service Announcement

11 posts back, he said he finally got it open.
Posted By: kingston Re: Safe won’t open... - 06/19/19
Originally Posted by slumlord
New Flash

Campfire Update

What part of Wiki do you not understand?
Posted By: smarquez Re: Safe won’t open... - 06/19/19
New Flash

Campfire Update

That won't stop anyone that has to get the last word in. This is the Campfire after all.
Posted By: hasbeen1945 Re: Safe won’t open... - 06/19/19
Nothing wrong with the last word. My wife gets hers in all the time. Hasbeen
Posted By: sse Re: Safe won’t open... - 06/19/19
i think it locked up again they'll do that
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Safe won’t open... - 06/19/19
Originally Posted by smarquez
New Flash

Campfire Update

That won't stop anyone that has to get the last word in. This is the Campfire after all.

We have not yet had the ultimate last word = "I know everything": "Nuff said".
Posted By: NVhntr Re: Safe won’t open... - 06/19/19
Ditto
Posted By: Sharpsman Re: Safe won’t open... - 06/19/19
#40 Sledge might work!
© 24hourcampfire