Home
Didn't see any rotation in it but it stayed in this shape and traveled from the southwest to the northeast.

[Linked Image]
Tornadoes scare the crap out of me!
We had some hail also.
It's a funnel!

Not the cake kind, either. wink
Do you have an underground shelter?
Originally Posted by watch4bear
Do you have an underground shelter?

My neighbor has one and there is a community shelter about 200 yards from my house.
Pretty bumpy here last 45 mins

[Linked Image]

Have a broken maple top down in the front yard
Ours has mostly passed now. There is another cell that is headed this way later. I have limbs down all around the house but nothing big.
Damn!!! Hope y’all are ok!!!!!
My neighbor has one and there is a community shelter about 200 yards from my house.

With the damage potential always looming; I would think a shelter has to be a necessity.
Have a 6" maple limb broke off, about 25ft long.

Another group of cells are coming through. Sun peeking out and thundering. Coming in waves.

[Linked Image]

Supposed get more grumpy stuff overnight.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by watch4bear

With the damage potential always looming; I would think a shelter has to be a necessity.

They are less common than you would think, but I have only seen two in my sixty years. It does look like one hit Greenville Tx earlier. It is located about 60 miles east of Dallas.
Glad it was a miss. I understand the feeling as I stood in our back yard a couple of years ago and watched this one pass by less than 10 miles from our house:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...ss-tonight-tornado-pictures#Post10141172
There's no place like home.
Proud Dad those was some good pictures. I just snap a quick one with my phone then went and moved my truck under the shed since it was starting to hail.
They still seem to destroy trailer courts.
Ill take Earthquakes any day.
It has been a weird spring. I've only been in North Texas since '96, so I sure haven't seen it all, but I can't recall so many bad storms rolling through here after June 1. It's lookin like this could go an all summer long. And, as Hanco says:

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by RNF
Didn't see any rotation in it but it stayed in this shape and traveled from the southwest to the northeast.

[Linked Image]

That’s just God fugking Mother Earth.
Dammit! If you land in OZ, I hope you land on the witch.
We had this one earlier this week here in Central Florida, not quite but it was sure tryin"....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
You don’t have to have a tornado hit you to have some expensive damage to your home. The storm producing the tornado is usually intense enough to bring hail, strong winds and heavy rain such that damage is inflicted all over. That being said I did live through a actual direct hit to the building I worked at about 15 yrs ago. First and only twister I ever was actually in. The damage inflicted in that short time was beyond belief. The firm I worked for was a Structural Engineering consulting firm that specialized in seismic and high wind design. After the storm passed none of us could leave for hours because until they secured any and all gas leaks no one was allowed to start a car. So we went out and documented all the damage we could to place into our data base and try to learn what worked and what didn’t. Wind is a beast. All of the roofs of the buildings in the office park were ballast roofs, that means it was a continuous rubber membrane that had about a 2” deep cover of stone/rock. Well let me tell you what happens when 150+ mph wings hits that stuff. It looks like Mother Nature went out with the worlds largest shotgun ever thought of and unloaded a pile of shells.
A neighbor 2 houses down had trees blown over in his yard. To the north of us a house had a tree pond it and trees were across the county road.
In 1978 an F3 tornado passed within a few hundred feet of me, estimated wind speeds, 158-206 mph.
It's path was 200 yards wide, it struck without warning, in it's wake laid total destruction, chaos and a whole lot of pain.

It was May 4th, 1978 at 11:47 am just south of Clearwater Florida.

Just out of high school a couple friends and I had put together a shop where we did custom work on 4x4 trucks, hot rod cars and of course custom vans were all the rage...

We had a pretty brisk little business going, we'd rented a shop with two large bays. It sat at corner of the cross roads of two back streets, a sleepy little area with a mix of residential and commercial buildings. From the cross roads you could get out to other main roads in three directions, the other way dead ended just past a school about a 1/4 mile down the way.(remember this part)

It was lunch time and I'd walked across the street and picked up a couple dozen oysters from a seafood outlet and was sitting on a 5 gallon bucket in one of the bay doors shuckin' oysters and watching it rain.

The wind was picking up and crap started blowing around so I grabbed up the guys and got all the rigs we had outside into the shop for protection from flying debris.

As we were doing this it started getting dark, like real dark sorta night time dark. Right as I got back to my oysters, our dumpster took off over a 4ft chain link fence it had sat against...this was gonna be a hum-dinger of a storm. Just as the last car we had outside was pulled into the bay next door a 55 gallon drum of lacquer thinner we had sitting beside the shop tore across the parking lot and took out that 4ft chain link fence.

All the wind and rain was hammering the back walls of our building so the open door I sat in was wind and rain free, I hadn't grasp the severity of this storm up until that full drum of thinner went ripping past me.

About that time the noise started, it sounded like a train that was really close and closing in on us but we didn't have any tracks near by....it was really deep, deep bass (base?).

It passed pretty quickly and also started to get light again, the winds started to slow down as did the rain.

Typical of a Florida squaw being we were living along the gulf coast. The darkness and the events with the dumpster and thinner drum were the only oddities of this storm.

We all headed out the door to survey the damaged fence and figure out how we were going to retrieve our dumpster from it's new found location when I took notice that further down the way there were problems.

The f u c kin school was gone..I don't recall how many buildings they had but I could plainly see there was only one left.
It was around 800-1000 feet from my shop, it was a fully occupied grade school that held a couple hundred or so kids in it.

We jumped in my truck and hauled a s s for the school.

It was bad, just a jumble of I-beams, concrete blocks and red bricks with large pieces of sheeting tossed about, little kids were every where, running, crying, screaming and bleeding.

It was total chaos, there was no order to anything, situation completely out of control.

I left my guys there and went for help and more trucks, I got 6 more guys from surrounding businesses and got all our 4x4 trucks back to the school. As I was driving back I found myself weaving between cars that were haphazardly parked in the road, it was parents, they couldn't get close so they were just leaving their cars set were ever they could.

No more than 10 minutes had gone by since the storm had hit when I returned to the school and there was still no sign of any emergency vehicles present.

Just being kids ourselves and not really knowing what to do, we began loading the worst of the injured into the trucks, there was a lot.. We had six 4x4's in total and quickly 5 were full one we were using to move I-beams so we could keep looking for the kids that were buried in the schit.

I started looking over the road situation for a way out of there and there no way you could get out.
The parents had closed all three roads that lead out of there, their cars were now parked every where, doors open, lights on crammed and jammed in for better than a 1/4 mile in all directions, they were running and screaming their children's names while franticly searching the derbies that was once a school.

News had traveled fast via radio and TV and phone, this was 1978, it was a world of stay at home moms and they all showed up.

We started lining up kids by our trucks, injured and not, they all wanted out of there, it was like 6 to 12 year old kids, they were all crying, they were all hurting they were all standing in the rain many were bleeding.

It'd been about 20 - 30 minutes now since the storm had hit, thats when I saw the first cops and fire fighters, they were on foot running toward the school, they couldn't get a emergency vehicle close to the place.

We had about 75 kids either by or in our trucks at this point so some of the cops stopped there, most kept going to help in searching the derbies for more children. There were lots and lots of children.

The cops told us they had buses coming for the kids, they were going to use the buses as ambulances due to so many being injured.
There were storm drainage ditches that followed the road, old Florida style, 10 feet deep by 15 feet wide, they held about 2 to 3 feet of water from the storm but we could navigate them with our trucks.

They directed the buses to a location about a half a mile away, we had a straight shot there down these ditches.. with EMT's now present they jumped in and did there best to comfort these kids as we baja'ed down these ditches to meet with the buses that were on their way.

We evacuated the entire school this way, injured and non, parents and teachers, everyone.
The parents accompanied there kids to the hospitals being their cars were not movable due to the mass jam they had created.

This is where the real chaos started, the buses were going to various hospitals around the area due to the large number of injured. There was no head count, no one knew who had gone where. And the worst of it was no one had any idea if all were accounted for, we searched the debris until mid morning the following day.
The roads were still cluttered with random cars but passable, I spent most the afternoon jump starting cars that had been left with there lights on.

It'd take 10 pages to truly describe this event, this has been the short version.
I really don't care to do the recall the details.
There were 98 total injured and 4 deaths. two died at the scene and two later from their injuries.

I'm going to clip and paste some archives I found online of this event..

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Weather.Gov

Summary of event:
Just before noon on May 5, 1978 it was just another day for the people in Pinellas
County. Parents and guardians already dropped their children off at school and were already at
work when the sky went from sunny to gray and dark quickly.

The storm approaching was fierce and it did not care what was in its path. As the tornado
hit the school unexpectedly no one was prepared for what happened. Things quickly turned to
horror. Many stories of the incident were told from many different perspectives from students,
teachers, and witnesses.

Detailed experiences:
Cheryl Guthrie, a fifth-grader, was in a portable classroom when the tornado
struck. “The portable started rocking up and down like a boat. The lights went out and the
teacher fell to the floor. I got so hysterical. I ran out the door. I went to the cafeteria but the
whole school has just caved in,” she said. “Everyone was running around, crying and
getting soaking wet. In the classroom, everyone was just screaming”
(Tampa Tribune, May 5th, front page).

Another student was another lucky victim to the tornadoes devastation. Billy
White, 11, said he was sitting by a window in his classroom when the lights went out and
the window panes shattered. The wind picked him up and tossed him through one of the
windows, he said. He was not hurt though. (St Petersburg Times, May 5th, A-3)

One teacher explained what happened in her classroom when the storm struck. “We were
sitting there having our little rest period after lunch. I heard the ripping of the roof. “I
stood up. I realized what was happening. The roof was leaving us. I screamed, „Get down.
Get down and cover your heads.‟” “There was just this tremendous sound,” Canas said.
“Very few children even heard me. When the glass started flying, I fell over the children
closest to me.” Her blouse was spotted with the blood of an injured child (Tampa Tribune,
May 5th, front page).

Another teacher explained what she and some fellow teachers did to
protect themselves from the tornado. Teacher Carolyn White said her students had gone to
the cafeteria and she was having lunch with two other teachers in one of the school‟s
portable classrooms when the storm hit. “Two of us jumped under the table and started to
pray,” she said. “One teacher went into a supply room but the wind pressure was so great
that the door started to suck in on her. We tried to get out of the building, but we couldn‟t
open the door.” (St Petersburg Times, May 5th, A-3)

There was a lot of disorder after the tornado passed and all the damage was done. News
finally went out about the tornado. After learning that a tornado had torn into the building
near Largo during the lunch hour Thursday, parents shared the initial horror of not
knowing who was hurt and who was safe…who was trapped under debris and who was lost
in the storm and confusion. Frantic mothers and fathers dug in driving rain through the
rubble that used to be Pinellas County‟s High Point Elementary School, looking for missing
boys and girls. Children cried for their parents (Tampa Tribune, May 5th, front page).

Sharon Wilson who is a mother of two of the children at the elementary was in shock “Men were carrying bleeding children out. Nobody knew where any body was. Children were
screaming and running. Such confusion.” (Tampa Tribune, May 5th, front page)

There were a few witnesses that were at the scene when the disaster occurred. Bill
Carlisle was sitting in his car 200 yards from the school. He said he saw the tornado
coming. “It was just like a vacuum,” he said. “Everything went up in the air and the debris
was just-flying around in a circular motion” (Tampa Tribune, May 5th, front page).

Some other witness said the school looked like it had been bombed. Debris was hanging from
electric wires. Pieces of plaster board and insulation were in the tops of trees. A tree about
three feet thick had its top ripped off almost clean, as if by a giant saw. Brick veneer and
concrete blocks were scattered (Tampa Tribune, May 5th, front page).

Incredibly there were only four deaths that occurred due to the storm. One was a little boy who was getting ready to celebrate his birthday. “It was Timmy‟s (Duval) birthday,” said the grieving teacher as she
recounted the terror at High Point as the twister hit at about 11:47 a.m. “His mother was
going to come to school at half-past-one and have a party with us. Everything happened so
fast. We were just on the floor. I was trying to cover a couple of kids. We were all bending
over and everything was hitting me. It was so fast. The ones that could walk ran outside
with the other kids. I couldn‟t find everybody” (St Petersburg Times, May 5th, Section 3-A).
Timmy was 5 years old. He and another classmate “Gary Staly” died from a roof
collapsing in their classroom. They both suffered from severe head injuries. (St. Petersburg
Times, May 5th, 3-A).

The death toll was very low and for one main reason. It was lunch time. A
large part of the children were in the cafeteria eating; away from their portable classrooms and
parts of the school where the tornado hit harder.

Originally Posted by New York Times

Tornado Kills 2 and Injures 96 in Florida School
MAY 5, 1978

CLEARWATER, Fla., May 4—A tornado dropped out of a charcoal sky today and struck an elementary school like a “car wreck,” killing two children and injuring 96.

“It just came and boom—and it was gone,” said Edward PauIton, a 10‐year old fifth grade pupil at the High Point Elementary School in this resort community about 15 miles north of St. Petersburg.

“I just slid across the room,” said the boy, who suffered cuts on the back and hand from flying glass. “The roof just blew off and it didn't come down. If it came down, I'd still be there. I'm glad I ain't dead.”

https://www.nytimes.com/1978/05/05/...in-florida-school-part-of-big-storm.html
Originally Posted by JeffA
[Linked Image]

That sucks.
So driving back from Fla today we are about 10 miles south of Paducah Kentucky when we get a warning on the phones that a tornatic storm is headed there and will be there by 5:00 o’clock and to seal shelter.well we were about 10 miles away and I look at my wife and say, “it’s clear as a bell out, I wonder if they got that right” (time wise) we go the next few miles and I look into the horizon and I change my toon. We get off at the first paduka exit we come to on 24. Within 5 min the temps drop and winds come in. 78 mph winds for about 10 min and horizontal rain so heavy you couldn’t see 5 ft pass the door. We watched the tv feed which surprisingly doesn’t fail and they say a twister is on the ground between us and the next town. After 15 min we get the all clear and get back on the road. We lost signal from the local news feed before they could tell us if any town got damage or injuries. Hope all is well with the good folks from Kentucky.
Those 3 other low hanging clouds could also be incipient/failed funnels. Seen that sort of thing quiet often when I lived in Lubbock, TX. Scary stuff.
© 24hourcampfire