Home
Further proof that some Pink Floyd fans smoked WAY TOO MUCH DOPE! 🤪

“the former Pink Floyd frontsmen’s most iconic instrument, the so called “Black Strat,” fetched $3,975,000”

https://www.msn.com/en-us/music/new...r-millions-at-charity-auction/ar-AADbjIc
D'oh!
One thousand times it's real value. IMO, of course.
Originally Posted by RiverRider

Agreed!
How long was dark side of the moon number 1 seller?
How many copies sold?

It held the record for decades...

$4 million for that guitar?
I'm not a bit surprised.

Offer the buyer 5 million right now and I bet he turns ya down.

It's two suns in the sunset now.
So to speak....
Before this recent sale, SRV’s brown Strat, “Lenny”, which by the way was autographed on the back by Mickey Mantle sold for around $400K about 20 years ago. Then shortly after, Clapton’s Strat, “Blackie” sold at a charity auction for $1,500,000.

Personally, I think if Jimmy Vaughn ever sold SRV’s famous #1 Strat, it would break ALL the records.

I got to actually touch it once. 🤠
I think Gilmour is one of the most underrated guitar players that ever picked a guitar.
Originally Posted by 1911a1
I think Gilmour is one of the most underrated guitar players that ever picked a guitar.

I agree
Don't know if this is the exact guitar under discussion but you can skip to 4:30 to hear it sing. Or just listen to the whole thing, it's all good.

Another sale that'll be interesting, hopefully in the VERY distant future, is Geddy Lee's 63 Ricky.
Buddy of mine from high school has had its identical twin since the late 70's. Not a famous instrument but I played a few songs on it.
He played everything Rush ever put out. My God, he could hammer a bass.

Glad to see others yet extant who appreciate talent.

Speaking of guitarists....
Any other Jeff Beck fans out there?
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Don't know if this is the exact guitar under discussion but you can skip to 4:30 to hear it sing. Or just listen to the whole thing, it's all good.

Still my favorite track off that entire LP.
They might’ve smoked a lot of dope to have paid that much but they at least had the money to do so. 😁
Originally Posted by Archerhunter

I saw Jeff Beck live a couple yrs ago. He a was #1 on my list and did not disappoint. David Gilmore would be #2. I've seen Santana 3 times.
Another sale that'll be interesting, hopefully in the VERY distant future, is Geddy Lee's 63 Ricky.
Buddy of mine from high school has had its identical twin since the late 70's. Not a famous instrument but I played a few songs on it.
He played everything Rush ever put out. My God, he could hammer a bass.

Glad to see others yet extant who appreciate talent.

Yeah.. me.
The guitar was purchased by the owner of the Baltimore Colts. I guess he has a considerable guitar collection. He also has been in trouble in the past for using illegal drugs.

Big Jeff Beck fan here. Love Love at Ronnie Scotts and the live rockabilly set with Imelda Mays band. Saw Beck at the Celebrity Theatre in Phoenix in 71 or 72. It was just after his album with Going Down came out. Small Venue and I was up front!
Saw Beck, Bogart and Appice at the Berlin Olympic Stadium in 1973, close to where Jesse Owens embarassed Hitler in 1936. They headlined a three day rock festival there. Hard to believe three guys could put out so much music.

Wasn't in the track field at top but in the amphitheater at the bottom of this pic. About four of us pitched our pup tents in the open space near the stage.

[Linked Image]

Didn't see Hitler there, I think he left early... wink
Originally Posted by SuperCub

I saw Jeff Beck live a couple yrs ago. He a was #1 on my list and did not disappoint. David Gilmore would be #2. I've seen Santana 3 times.

My friend fellow fiend...

I hate ya, bro.
Green with envy.

Would love to chat all night but Mrs Ah is calling saying "wish you were here".
Duty calls.
Even though I love flying pigs (and other assorted "animals"), "Wish" is still my favorite.
I'll cue that up on the turntable... and I believe I'll have some Cream for afters.
wink

Originally Posted by StGeorger
The guitar was purchased by the owner of the Baltimore Colts. I guess he has a considerable guitar collection. He also has been in trouble in the past for using illegal drugs.

Big Jeff Beck fan here. Love Love at Ronnie Scotts and the live rockabilly set with Imelda Mays band. Saw Beck at the Celebrity Theatre in Phoenix in 71 or 72. It was just after his album with Going Down came out. Small Venue and I was up front!

More green envy over here.

You lucky bastids!

72 I was 9yo.
But my turn table turned. Yes it did!

Would love to talk all night.... but again I say, duty calls.
grin
Lifeson/Gilmour/everyone else

P
Here's another underrated guitar player:

https://youtu.be/F3n9ZYK0huQ
Vanderbilt stadium 1994
Division Bell
I was dead center on front row. Me and my buds camped in a parking lot for 14 hours 6 month before the show to get the tickets from the Sound Shop.

Got tiggets for 8 of my buds.

Was some serious haterade being sipped by the 600 other people in that line at the parking lot of the mall.

One of my almost started a fight with Luke Duke (tom wopat) he was 4 rows behind us. lmafo

Never know who is gonna pop up in a crowd anyway in nashville. 😄
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

“the former Pink Floyd frontsmen’s most iconic instrument, the so called “Black Strat,” fetched $3,975,000”

All of the 21 million bucks raised goes to a climate change organization. LINK

John
So we boycottin pink floyd ?

lol
Lots of money for a guitar!!
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho

Oh how the recesses of my brain can come back to such sweet familiarity .

Just listened to ‘About Face’ last night.

Was lucky enough to see Pink Floyd at Carnegie Hall on May 1, 1972 on the Dark Side of the Moon Tour.
If you're looking for something a bit different whilst on the moon. smile

Oh yes, indeed. The man is a master.

Gilmour? Not in the same league. IMO. And I play (used to play, actually...before a catastrophic hand injury).
Originally Posted by jpb

All of the 21 million bucks raised goes to a climate change organization. LINK

John

Figures. Bunch a fuggin tree hugging hippie crap. 😡

Agreed!

It is interesting that only the body on that guitar is original. Gilmore constantly changed parts in and out. I believe it had several different necks and all of the electronics were changed. So the buyer is getting the final iteration not the guitar that was used to create a number of classic songs.

Gilmour? Not in the same league. IMO. And I play (used to play, actually...before a catastrophic hand injury).

Sorry to hear that.
I used to kick a drum kit around a bit. Blew a shoulder out playing old man's softball and fuggered up a knee riding dirt bikes.

Let us not despair.
We still have our hearing!

Just finished Caress of Steel little while ago and Farewell to Kings before that, not sure what I want next.
Master of reality? (my favorite from Sabbath)
Or break out Demons and Wizards.
It's still friggin raining here. Maybe I'll relax and spin some old Yes. Ricky Wakeman is a god.

I have Live at Ronnie Scotts on video and consider it a fantastic performance. I saw a really interesting interview with Jeff about those shows. It is hard to believe but he hated hated doing them. He didn't like the small venue, was afraid that the audience being so close would allow all of his mistakes to show. Apparently he doesn't realize how highly he is regarded.

Personally, I think if Jimmy Vaughn ever sold SRV’s famous #1 Strat, it would break ALL the records.

🤠

+1

RS

Sorry to hear that.
I used to kick a drum kit around a bit. Blew a shoulder out playing old man's softball and fuggered up a knee riding dirt bikes.

Let us not despair.
We still have our hearing!

Just finished Caress of Steel little while ago and Farewell to Kings before that, not sure what I want next.
Master of reality? (my favorite from Sabbath)
Or break out Demons and Wizards.
It's still friggin raining here. Maybe I'll relax and spin some old Yes. Ricky Wakeman is a god.

Let's be careful to not take the hearing for granted either. Once immediately following a sound system upgrade, I developed a very odd and annoying hearing issue in my left ear that denied me the pleasure of listening to music. Thankfully, it cleared up over time and I recovered almost all of my hearing...or maybe I should just say it went back to normal.

Very familiar with all those titles. I had a friend in high school who led my down the paths of some alternative listening that widen my horizons quite a bit. If you can find it, give a listen to Flash "In the Can," and if you're open-minded enough check out Focus "Moving Waves" in its entirety. You may not like Moving Waves the first time through, but hear it three times and I guarantee it will change your notions (if you're not already tuned to such things).
WOW! You guys just sent me on a '70's memory fest (although it all seems kinda foggy now). I got to see Floyd both times they came to Detroit for their Dark Side of the Moon tour. First show was in Cobo Hall. They had an explosion (it was supposed to be a very large flash but someone screwed up). When it went off (in the middle of careful with that axe Eugene)I thought the ceiling was collapsing from all the cars parked up there. We sat in the first row of seats up off the main floor and the blast almost set ya back in the seat. All the tripping hippies freaked out and some had to be carried out. The bass player dropped his guitar while the rest of the band never missed a lick. They were barred from Cobo hall after that and had to play their second time around in one of other halols, I just can't remember which!

Shortly after Led Zeppelin came to town and we caught that one also! Very disappointing! They had copied the Floyd show and spent maybe 5 or 10 dollars on it!!!! lol it was pretty bad though if you'd already been to the Floyd show! Also saw Jeff Beck, Grand Funk Railroad and many others during that time period! Damn, I'm gonna be playing Floyd tunes all day now!

one of my favorites

^^ The Division Bell is one of my favourite PF albums. It's ALL David Gilmour ^^

Baltimore Colts? A little behind there aren't we?
Originally Posted by Poconojack
... Was lucky enough to see Pink Floyd at Carnegie Hall on May 1, 1972 on the Dark Side of the Moon Tour.

Was working with Dutch TV and filmed the Venice Concert from the Hotel Danieli in July, 1989 during the Feast of The Redemption Holiday. Duran Duran was in the suite next to us (partied with them a bit) and Keith Richards & Gang were down the hall. And ... yes I do have some great stories to tell about that gig ....

[Linked Image]
I think we have the right campfire crowd is here to bring up this.

If you really want some good entertainment and a history lesson to boot get on ebay and buy the dvd "Beware Mr. Baker".

Watch it once and you'll play it a second time immediately. I promise.
Old Ginger was quite the character. He didn't mince words.
And the interviews from the worlds greatest rock and jazz drummers are... well.... just click buy it now and get ready for a fun ride.
Thank me later.
Good interviews from great guitarists and everybody else, too, in that Ginger Baker documentary. Forgot to mention that.

Another excellent documentary, if you're into such things, is "Sound City".

Back in the days before over-dubbing and computer mixing was.
Had to get it right, regardless how much tape was wasted and how many fights among band members broke out.
Back when musicians and singes had to work for a living.

Too friggin cool for words to describe.
Another that's chock full of interviews and info that you'll watch a second time as soon as the end credits roll.

I promise!
You guys will love them both!

Shut up and buy them and watch them.
thank me later.
© 24hourcampfire